Votes: 73 13.9%
  • ...Platinum

Votes: 266 50.8%

• Total voters

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
gotta admit, I think it's strange to have things like ramanas park and the island locked behind a day 1 patch. when I was a kid, I was never able to connect my DS to the internet due to our network being WPA, rather than the outdated WEP. if the original games had this, I would never have been able to play the postgame.

I've heard of day 1 patches for bug fixes, but never for major chunks of the game
Kingdom Heart 3's ending was famously not on the disc and required a day 1 patch iirc.

Another example is Tony Hawk 5 where just the demo was on the disc 99% of the game was downloaded in the day 1 patch.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
It's really messed up honestly. I'm getting the game physical and things like this makes me question what the point is if they're just releasing unfinished games now.

I sold my copy of Sword just to get the physical version of Sword + Expansion Pass. I want everything on the cartridge, not this nonsense.

yeah, I agree. I'm the same with buying GOTY versions of games. I scrambled to get the FE Fates special edition just because it was the only way to have all 3 paths on cart. the appeal of a physical copy is definitely lost for me when the postgame can just become locked forever (outside of hacks) should Nintendo decide to stop running their switch severs. maybe future production runs of the game could have the patch on cart

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
yeah, I agree. I'm the same with buying GOTY versions of games. I scrambled to get the FE Fates special edition just because it was the only way to have all 3 paths on cart. the appeal of a physical copy is definitely lost for me when the postgame can just become locked forever (outside of hacks) should Nintendo decide to stop running their switch severs. maybe future production runs of the game could have the patch on cart

I think Nintendo has done this for a fair amount of their games so wouldn't be surprised. That said, good luck figuring out which versions have the patch included.

Are TMs multiuse again? I swear that was one of the most stupid changes in SwSh.

I think not but you get multiples of them now? At least from gym leaders I think.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I see a lot of the E4 rematches use more towards their Platinum team. Do Cheryl, Riley, Buck etc have post-game fights from Platinum too?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's really messed up honestly. I'm getting the game physical and things like this makes me question what the point is if they're just releasing unfinished games now.

I sold my copy of Sword just to get the physical version of Sword + Expansion Pass. I want everything on the cartridge, not this nonsense.

The only reason I can think of is COVID affecting production in this instance. Game wasn't ready when the cartridges needed to go gold so they printed what they had and the patch should add missing stuff (Intro video, Music, Post Game Areas).

Granted, if they did need more time to finish, the game could have been delayed (and I know someone is going to say The Pokemon Company wouldn't allow it due to it messing up with tie in merch and anime and tcg stuff... but from a consumers perspective where you shouldn't care about that brand synergy at all. They could have delayed it until everything was done for the gold print.)

I see a lot of the E4 rematches use more towards their Platinum team. Do Cheryl, Riley, Buck etc have post-game fights from Platinum too?

Doesn't look like they specifically have fights, but they can show up in Battle Tower as opponents.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. I mean, imagine for instance, if the dark souls remastered (or any other remaster) version did not include the DLC, and somebody came up and said that this was done by another team (not that this is true), hence we should have expected for it not to be included. That might be an accurate internal explanation, but it doesn't make it any less baffling to the user.

This is a great example.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So if you're buying physical, you have to choose if you're gonna get it early for the Platinum outifts, or later for, you know, the complete game. I really struggle getting used to this digital ownership era.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not mental gymnastics or anything. It's how the developers see it. While people in the community may see it differently, they don't decide how things truly are

What is going on here? "It doesn't matter how you, the person here on the discussion forum sees the game, it matters how I have decided the developers see it based on my assumptions from the outside." It's just weird man, they pull in details from the other 'completely separate' game so obviously it's not apples and oranges.

There are many reasons they could give in the justification of a design philosophy that would lead to these games leaning towards D/P. What if it's because they're sitting on some Platinum update for after PLA comes out? We don't know, so I don't think condescending to users that think it's a weird or bad choice is fair or necessary.

Cobra

Mar 2, 2019
Sorry, if this has been answered already, but is there a list of which Exclusive Pokémon are on which version.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, if this has been answered already, but is there a list of which Exclusive Pokémon are on which version.
C3YvHxy.png

Note that some of these may not be version exclusive due to the new Underground functionality, but details are unknown at this time.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
C3YvHxy.png

Note that some of these may not be version exclusive due to the new Underground functionality, but details are unknown at this time.
Looking at the encounter data it sounds like they've kept all the original encounters, so stuff like Houndoom and Scyther are exclusives in the overworld, but are available in both games in the Underground due to being in the Platinum Dex .

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
C3YvHxy.png

Love how Tyranitar and Aggron went from version opposites in XY to being exclusives in the same game here. Aggron got downgraded to the Walrein line as its counterpart, poor thing (although it makes way more sense).

Oct 26, 2017
Now I'm wondering if all non-mythical mon, and by extension the Shiny Charm, will be obtainable without HOME.
I don't think any gifts for past gen starters have been found though.

EDIT: The list of mon not accounted for is very short: Past gen starters and Tangela, Tangrowth and Tropius. Which is also very faithful to the originals.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was the secret ending iirc, which is just a teaser for a future game. You at least still got the resolution to KH3's story. (As much of a resolution as that story got, anyway.)
There were two secret endings, delivered separately through patches. They were unrelated to KH3's ending though, which...yeah, I agree with your assessment.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That was the case for LGPE and SwSh, so probably.

That was the secret ending iirc, which is just a teaser for a future game. You at least still got the resolution to KH3's story. (As much of a resolution as that story got, anyway.)
Gotcha, I remembered it being a thing but not the exact details behind it. Makes sense the secret ending was a day 1 patch.

curseofthorn

Feb 27, 2019
gotta admit, I think it's strange to have things like ramanas park and the island locked behind a day 1 patch. when I was a kid, I was never able to connect my DS to the internet due to our network being WPA, rather than the outdated WEP. if the original games had this, I would never have been able to play the postgame.

I've heard of day 1 patches for bug fixes, but never for major chunks of the game

And that's why a patch is needed in the 2021 release of Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl and not the 2007 Diamond and Pearl. This is the weirdest "What if" situation I've seen brought up.

Pretty much all game companies do this. It's a way they can still produce the physical media on time in a world where digital is being pushed more. You also would have no idea what was on the cartridge if people weren't leaking stuff.

And once you download it, the game isn't sitting on a cloud server somewhere - you have it saved to the Switch.

In the case of Sword, the expansion pass was DLC. It wasn't even developed at the time of release.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
New trailer just dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrr6ZF23RUE

They got the games needed for Mew and Jirachi the wrong way round lol

In the comments they've said this:
Attention, Trainers: A software update (v 1.1.0) for the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl games will be available on November 11, 2021. This update will allow you to enjoy the communication features in the Grand Underground and Super Contest Shows, receive special items via Mystery Gift, and visit Ramanas Park after entering the Hall of Fame. At launch, a maximum of two players—yourself included—will be able to battle and trade Pokémon in the Union Room. A software update will be released in the future to allow for additional players. Please see here for more details: https://bit.ly/3kmdfet

so we should be able to find out the full list of version exclusive legendaries and other post-game stuff from tomorrow onwards.

Confirmed so far:

Brilliant Diamond: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, and Ho-Oh
Shining Pearl: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Lugia

and from clicking the link in the comments, I've seen this:

▼About scheduled future updates:

On the day of the release, interactions using local and internet communication in the Union Room will be limited to two players. However, future updates are planned to increase the maximum number of players, as well as add greeting and Capsule Decoration functions. Additionally, future updates will enable Link Trades at the Global Wonder Station (GWS) facility in Jubilife City, as well as Link Battles via the Colosseum function in Pokémon Centers.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty much all game companies do this. It's a way they can still produce the physical media on time in a world where digital is being pushed more. You also would have no idea what was on the cartridge if people weren't leaking stuff.

And once you download it, the game isn't sitting on a cloud server somewhere - you have it saved to the Switch.

In the case of Sword, the expansion pass was DLC. It wasn't even developed at the time of release.
So what if they do? It's still shitty. I don't care about the company's reasons when it affects me as an end user having to clog up storage space on my Switch because they can't be bothered to finish their games.

And yes, of course I would know, because I played the original Diamond and would notice not being able to get into the area where Pal Park was and where the Battle Zone should be.

My point is, I want everything on the cartridge and not having to depend on patches and downloads. I'm aware that it was developed after. That's the whole reason I bought the physical version, because the expansion is on the cartridge.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
FD1pnUJaUAIyNgT.png

If all the slates are like this, they're hella cute.

curseofthorn

Feb 27, 2019
So what if they do? It's still shitty. I don't care about the company's reasons when it affects me as an end user having to clog up storage space on my Switch because they can't be bothered to finish their games.

And yes, of course I would know, because I played the original Diamond and would notice not being able to get into the area where Pal Park was and where the Battle Zone should be.

My point is, I want everything on the cartridge and not having to depend on patches and downloads. I'm aware that it was developed after. That's the whole reason I bought the physical version, because the expansion is on the cartridge.

It's not shitty. You're not being charged extra. If those things were actually in the game, you'd still have pretty much the same space taken up.

That's fine. But that was 13-14 years ago. The internet has evolved. We have smartphones now. Complaining about internet features/requirement is nonsensical.

And that's great that you bought the physical version. You brought it up in an argument that they release games unfinished. They released a finished game (whether or not it was up to your standards is opinion) and then 6months later, the first piece of DLC completely separate from the game came out.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Physical game collecting has become very annoying in this way yeah. I specifically only collect physical games that are satisfyingly complete without a patch. Otherwise I go digital.

It takes a lot of research sometimes though, annoying. Also switch games often get patches on the cart in later releases but there's no way to differentiate them just from the box (you need to put the cart in your switch to see the version) which is a whole other rabbithole.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not shitty. You're not being charged extra. If those things were actually in the game, you'd still have pretty much the same space taken up.

That's fine. But that was 13-14 years ago. The internet has evolved. We have smartphones now. Complaining about internet features/requirement is nonsensical.

And that's great that you bought the physical version. You brought it up in an argument that they release games unfinished. They released a finished game (whether or not it was up to your standards is opinion) and then 6months later, the first piece of DLC completely separate from the game came out.
Yes it is shitty. No, I wouldn't, because it would be on the cartridge.

Complaining about having complete games with title screen intros and the post game content from 15 years ago is nonsensical? Really?

I'm not calling SwSh unfinished. I'm bringing up SwSh + Expansion Pass up as a good thing because everything is on the cartridge. I'm calling BDSP unfinished, which it is.

LhaQLAU.jpg

Please stop making excuses for them. It's dumb.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
It's good to know the intro is being added in but it's also wild that it's not on the cartridge. The patch doesn't mention the music which is worrying, but there's no way it can be final right? Going to wait and see what other postgame content the patch adds in before I make a decision on whether to buy or not. The postgame stuff so far sounds rad but I don't think it's quite enough to justify full price yet

Jul 19, 2020
Rugby Warwickshire England

Complaining about having complete games with title screen intros and the post game content from 15 years ago is nonsensical? Really?

I'm not calling SwSh unfinished. I'm bringing up SwSh + Expansion Pass up as a good thing because everything is on the cartridge. I'm calling BDSP unfinished, which it is.

LhaQLAU.jpg

This may have happened because they were accounting for possible delays due to covid.
Would you have minded if they delayed the physical release by a few weeks but had everything on the cartridge?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

LhaQLAU.jpg

Yeah, as much as day one patches have become common nowadays, launching without actual content on the cart is really a bad sign. This game was rushed and that's clear. It may turn out fine, and most people will have the day one patch and play the game just fine.

But calling a build without intro, ending, important content and features a retail-ready build really raises an eyebrow.

Last edited:

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah I think that would have been the better course of action, not sure why they didn't choose to do that.

Because outside of a bubble, most will not be affected. If you look at the comments in the youtube section a lot of people were confused to why there is a patch since the majority does not follow the leaks to know x feature or etc is not in the game yet and mentioning the game isn't even out yet.

Casuals or whoever goes into this blindly are not going to be affected by lack of title screen or end game content coming in Day 1 patch.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Maybe the physical game is "unfinished" because of the leaks (in previous years).

That way, people rip/leak unfinished games and spread incomplete information; rather than everything.

:p