• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I wish i had seen this thread back in january when i started my weight loss journey.

I went to the doctor for my yearly physical at the end of january and stepped on the scale to see a number i didnt expect. I knew it was going to be bad, but it was somehow worse than imagined (377lbs). Doctor rightfully gave me a scolding and said id be dead by 50 if i didnt start taking action. He gave me a few pointers on how to get started and probably figured all this advice was falling on deaf ears.

After leaving the doctors i went to a local bike shop and picked up a mountain bike. I didnt go crazy, just a low-mid end trek mountain bike, something to make being active a little easier. i started getting up at 5AM everyday during the winter months to bike 2-3 miles. It was *cold*. As ridiculous as this sounds, i felt like torturing myself would be the only way to change how i approached weight loss. Ive tried diets and whatnot in the past only to fail spectacularly. Either way, after about 8 or 9 days of riding i felt like i was getting into a routine. Stepped on the scale and saw i was down 6 pounds. Progress! but it seemed slow. went back to the drawing board to take a look at my diet. I didnt eat completely unhealthy, but i eat big portions. Likely my biggest problem with my weight (especially when you take my activity level -or lack thereof- into consideration). Total revamp. Became a vegetarian and traded my morning bowl of cereal and milk for an egg on sprout toast. Lunch went from a sandwich or somekind to a bowl of fruit or a bowl of pumpkin seed and flax. Dinner went from some kind of carb (mostly pasta) and chicken breast to 2 cups of spinach and 2 ounces of salmon. Snacks are a banana, apple, or handful of nuts. I have this condition (my wife calls it a condition) where i can eat the same thing everyday and not get sick of it. Ive had the above every single day for the last 7 months and when i stepped on the scale this morning i was 271. I have a followup doctors appt next week and i look forward to his reaction. Ill post pics in the coming days but i wanted to share my story/progress. im really happy to see the progress everyone else in the thread is making and im upset i didnt see this thread sooner!

The plan is to get down to 240 or so (im 6'4, and the doctor agreed that weight should get me to an optimal waist).
Congratulations on the weight loss and welcome to the thread! I've added you to the spreadsheet so you can follow along with us.

I'm gonna join the journey, my weight has been up and down over the last few years, getting up to 93kg and down to 83kg.

I've recently been made redundant at work so i've been spending time in the gym.

29th July i was 85.6kg
Today i'm 84kg so i'm making some progress.
My aim is to get 76kg by year end.

Height 5"7

Pic on the left was taken on 29th July, pic on the right was taken 21st August.

6eTmtd2.jpg
Well done on your weight loss so far and welcome! You're in the spreadsheet too.

Oct 30, 2017
Friday weigh-in results: 182.8

Back on my normal trend after some hydration issues last week that caused me to drop 4 lbs of water weight in two days. Started taking an electrolyte supplement after all the water I was drinking was just passing right through me with leg cramps after exercise. One downside of this diet is that it's possible to overlook basic minerals at times. On magnesium, sodium, and potassium and bounced back after two days of it--will continue taking itb as a preventative measure.

Projecting to hit my 180 target for 2019 by first week of September, but that will probably be delayed since this coming week is a cheat week and I'm planning to eat out with visiting family multiple times a day. After 180, I'll set a final target goal of 160 by Thanksgiving 2020.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It must be. I've been doing really well in that department. Can hopefully keep it up.

With weight loss, diet absolutely is 90% of the work. If you just look at it from a caloric stand point, you basically cannot out-exercise a bad diet but you absolutely can out-diet zero exercise. Exercise plays an important role in other things, such as health, shape... not losing muscle mass etc.. But diet really is the main game here. Kind of the opposite of the mind set I had in my 20s.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost almost 40 lbs since June and I haven't stepped into a gym. Just changed my diet and how/when I eat.

Going to start hitting the gym once I am healed from a minor surgery I had. As I am losing weight I am seeing how much work is still ahead of me. I want to build a lot more muscle.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exercise is good for your state of mind and overall wellness, but it is indeed nowhere near as important to lose weight than the calorie reduction of a diet.

I'm still losing weight, and on track to hit my overall goal by February. I just passed the halfway point and it feels so good to be closer to the finish line than the starting line.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I want to log my current weight and try and keep up with this thread, as I'm at a loss on how to really tackle losing weight at this point, and maybe joining a social group could help me;

Height: 5'7
Weight: 190.2

Frankly, this is the biggest I've ever been, and I've always felt like shit about my appearance due to being overweight since at least 13-14 years old (I used to be a skinny kid, too!). I'm beyond tired of feeling so unattractive and self-cautious, so I really want to say goodbye to this excess weight once and for all.

I've been lazy about cataloging my calorie intake, but I've recently downloaded the My Fitness Pal app, in addition to just not eating so shittily all the time, and cutting out every beverage that isn't water since the beginning of this year.

I hear about people cutting out sugar entirely, but is 2 teaspoons of sugar in tea + 13 grams in a Belvita breakfast biscuit a day hurting me more than I realize?

Oct 28, 2017
I hear about people cutting out sugar entirely, but is 2 teaspoons of sugar in tea + 13 grams in a Belvita breakfast biscuit a day hurting me more than I realize?
Probably depends just how many cups of tea a day. Even those of us that have 'cut out' sugar eat a little bit of the stuff. Hard to avoid completely. I love 90% cocoa chocolate for example and even that has some sugar in it.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Probably depends just how many cups of tea a day. Even those of us that have 'cut out' sugar eat a little bit of the stuff. Hard to avoid completely. I love 90% cocoa chocolate for example and even that has some sugar in it.

I've had to (painfully) cut it down to just one. I usually try to have it to stave off my body's fake ass hunger whenever it crops up, lol.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
UPDATE: 102.1 KG

I haven't updated in 2 weeks. I'm still on my stall but if I average my weekly numbers, I'm still losing weight whilst progressing in weight training and gaining muscle (pants are getting tight around thighs, shirts are getting tighter around arms).

Still, I'm impatient. My actual fat loss doesn't seem to be as dramatic as it was before, but it could be perception more than anything. Trying to apply logic to body image can be difficult, but imperical evidence suggests I'm on the right path so I won't change it.

fWHldwM.png

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Nobody asked me to do it, but at the moment I'm 130lbs, which puts me at 20lbs lighter than I was a year ago and I would do it all again after reaching my goal.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I want to log my current weight and try and keep up with this thread, as I'm at a loss on how to really tackle losing weight at this point, and maybe joining a social group could help me;

Frankly, this is the biggest I've ever been, and I've always felt like shit about my appearance due to being overweight since at least 13-14 years old (I used to be a skinny kid, too!). I'm beyond tired of feeling so unattractive and self-cautious, so I really want to say goodbye to this excess weight once and for all.

I've been lazy about cataloging my calorie intake, but I've recently downloaded the My Fitness Pal app, in addition to just not eating so shittily all the time, and cutting out every beverage that isn't water since the beginning of this year.

Welcome to the thread! You're on the spreadsheet.

You can cut down on the sugar in the tea if you want to - just take one and a half teaspoons for a week, then one, then a half, then none. Like me with black coffee, you'll develop a taste for it.

Mind you, that's only if you're drinking tea like four times a day. Once per day is a rounding error.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No. It's not a considerable amount at all. It really comes down to what your daily intake is, and you can fit little things like that without issue generally. You could always try using Stevia as its taste is pretty similar to actual sugar to see if you like it.

Finding out how much you're eating is the important first step, then you'll have an idea of what your daily maintenance truly is. I would also recommend getting your protein, carb and fat numbers. A lot of times, it's those being way out of wack that greatly affects your overall composition.

I've been macro dieting for two years, both to lose and gain weight to build mass, and you can have cheat meals and eat more food you actually like that way. You just have to make it fit the numbers. It's also overall better because you can eat food you like. This needs to be a permanent lifestyle change, not a quick weight loss plan. So, make changes you can live with, and do them a bit at a time. Find things you like, and stick to it.

Oct 25, 2017
You can lose weight on sugar. You can lose weight on ice cream diets. It's about that caloric restriction. There are other issues too, like sustainability and whether you're losing fat vs muscle/water etc. as well. Also sugar will make you hungry.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
2/8/2019: 226lbs
12/8/2019: 224lbs
20/8/2019: 222.8lbs
25/8/2019: 220.6lbs

Happy that I'm still losing weight, but am a little bit anxious that it's linked to some health concerns I currently have. Got some blood test results due on Tuesday, then hopefully I can get out of this health anxiety slump I've been in over the past few months.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Update

Jul 29, 120.3kg
Aug 5, 118.6kg
Aug 12, 118.7kg
Aug 19, 119.1kg
Aug 26, 118.2kg

After a few weeks of going up and down because of stuff and things, I had a decent week, nothing unexpected happened and managed to mostly keep my diet.
Still struggling to exercise more, it's the one thing I really need to work on.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Someone at work told me that I've lost too much weight. I've lost about 23ibs. I'll admit I haven't done it in the healthiest fashion.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Busted up my knee couple hours ago while going down a steep hill when I was fetching a bad disc golf throw.
Shit sucks. Probably nothing serious, but bleh. I don't need this right now.

Oct 25, 2017
viciouskillersquirrel I think the calculator you link to for body fat calculations is just straight up broken. You can change the weight and nothing else and the value doesn't change.

https://bmi-calories.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator.html does the US navy thing and seems to be accurate.

On a separate note, I think I was measuring my neck wrong and the calculator being off was making me think I was at 20%ish fat rather than 15% or below with margin of error. The new result is giving me very close to 15% and I am still not sure if I measured the neck completely right.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Someone at work told me that I've lost too much weight. I've lost about 23ibs. I'll admit I haven't done it in the healthiest fashion.

Someone at work found an old photo of me from a few years when I was skinny after a previous weight loss bout. Looking at that photo, I was skinny compared to when I was in high-school, where I was low on body fat but was pretty much in the top five strongest guys at the school. It's one of the reasons I stopped dieting super hard about a month ago and started weight training. I want to be lean and strong, with some "meat on my bones".

Saying that, a lot of people are going to think you're "too skinny". It's generally people who aren't used to you thin. 23lbs is probably showing the most in your face - it tends to change dramatically at a certain point. I had one guy who said to me "don't lose any more, I prefer you as you were"....he's a fair bit leaner than me at the moment, so it was a bit cheeky for him to say that.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Checking in again. After first 2 weeks of vacation still at 108,5 kg. Was down a bit before that, but glad I stayed roughly the Same overall.

Still a week of ahead of me, but more in a normal routine so hopefully the scale is going down again.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Quick update, I know it's early, so it doesn't have to be added to the spreadsheet yet if that's preferable. Current weight is 219.2lbs. Really relieved to know that my health concerns (potential RA) were unfounded and that any pain I'm having is probably repetitive strain from the swimming I've been doing.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
Took a 4.5 day trip down to Disney World last week, and between the 88(!) miles of walking, Florida heat, and drinks around the world/studios I managed to stay stable at 174.2 lbs. Keeping my working weights for my lifting at the same levels for this week as I get back into the gym this week. Competitive Golf season is officially over, so I won't have to plan my workouts around the league. Looking forward to the additional flexibility.

Oct 25, 2017
Back down to 169 lbs again. Some movement after a couple weeks of staying around 170.5 feels good though. The stall I think is definitely related to water retention though. I'm weighing at a bit earlier time of the day on average as well, which I noticed before doesn't tend to be my lowest weigh in of the day if I haven't had water yet. Plus my exercise and routine has changed for the better.

I got a tip for anyone who is having a hard time exercising or wants to improve. Like early on when I was super motivated I got in a lot of exercise. Sometimes light, sometimes hard. But then I just didn't feel like exercise was producing results. I tapered off quite a bit. Lost a good deal of weight regardless. But I wanted to enjoy exercise, make it so my primary goal is not burning calories. Burning calories is nice and all, but that's not the primary benefit. The cardiovascular and lymph movement benefits are what you want. It is also still very nice to raise you resting metabolic rate too.

So I've done two things different now.

1. I exercise fasted. Tons of science support this. The convincing thing to me to be honest, was the realization that it takes hours for food to be digested and ready for absorption. So the idea that I would have more energy for exercise after eating was just... psychosomatic most likely just a product of me feeling energized from food but not really. If anything I feel more energized during workouts fasted. And the fuel my body uses is the fuel I already have stored on my body, not from the food itself. There really is a lot of studies behind working out fasted. I read working out 5-6 hours after your last meal is sort of the minimum, to make sure your stomach is empty.

2. I do tabata exercises at least twice a week. If you look up tabata you'll find out it's a high performance promoting high intensity interval training timing regime. You can do pretty much any exercise at high intensity and it'll work. The goal is to exercise at high performance for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. You do this 8 times and take a minute and then repeat. You can do different exercises for each one though. I typically do 3 sets of 4 minute intervals, takes 15 minutes not including warm up. I feel awesome after tabata. HIIT training (high intensity interval training) is what you want to do. You spend less time and probably get more out of it than slogging away on cardio for much longer periods of time. Lots of studies on HIIT training and it's benefits. The exercise can feel like hell! But it's only 4 damn minutes long. I try to progressively make it harder, as you should with any exercise.

I still have 10-20 pounds to go. I feel a bit uneasy about posting a pic of myself online still, but I'll try to be brave-ish.

nofacebod.jpg

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
viciouskillersquirrel I think the calculator you link to for body fat calculations is just straight up broken. You can change the weight and nothing else and the value doesn't change.

https://bmi-calories.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator.html does the US navy thing and seems to be accurate.

On a separate note, I think I was measuring my neck wrong and the calculator being off was making me think I was at 20%ish fat rather than 15% or below with margin of error. The new result is giving me very close to 15% and I am still not sure if I measured the neck completely right.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it against the formula they use (it's published online).

EDIT: Actually, the calculator is working as intended. If you look at the formula:

BFP = 495 / {1.0324 - 0.19077×log10(waist-neck) ) + 0.15456×log10(height)} - 450​

You'll notice that there is no reference within the formula to your weight. This makes sense since what the equation is doing is estimating your body fat as a proportion using your body shape as the input parameter. Basically, for men, the smaller the ratio of your stomach circumference to your neck circumference, the less fat you have as a proportion of the whole.

Try changing the weight on the other calculator you linked and the same thing happens. Your body fat % stays the same regardless of your weight, but your lean mass (and your fat mass, by inference) will both go up. This makes sense since someone built like Arnold Schwarzenegger at his peak has more places for the fat to "hide", so to speak, than someone who spends all their time on the couch.

Last edited:

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
Update 8/28: 223 pounds.

Weight loss has slowed due to bad decisions during my eating window but sticking to IF. At least I'm still losing rather than gaining.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it against the formula they use (it's published online).

EDIT: Actually, the calculator is working as intended. If you look at the formula:

BFP = 495 / {1.0324 - 0.19077×log10(waist-neck) ) + 0.15456×log10(height)} - 450​

You'll notice that there is no reference within the formula to your weight. This makes sense since what the equation is doing is estimating your body fat as a proportion using your body shape as the input parameter. Basically, for men, the smaller the ratio of your stomach circumference to your neck circumference, the less fat you have as a proportion of the whole.

Try changing the weight on the other calculator you linked and the same thing happens. Your body fat % stays the same regardless of your weight, but your lean mass (and your fat mass, by inference) will both go up. This makes sense since someone built like Arnold Schwarzenegger at his peak has more places for the fat to "hide", so to speak, than someone who spends all their time on the couch.

Yeah I guess it sort of does make some sense.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
246.2! officially down 10lbs
Ive even not been eating super great but IF is really working for me

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I should probably get in here and post what results I've had.

Originally I was 330 back in high school. I started working out and lost about 136 lbs. at my lightest I was 196, but after my girlfriend moved into town I stopped focusing on the gym. Eventually we got married and my weight kept going up.

At the end of July I weighed in at 264, I didn't want to be an overweight dad (we're trying to have a kid), but that was the course I was on. So I made a commitment to get back to 196 by June 2020.

31st July 2019 - 264
29th August 2019 - 250

This is the first time in a long time I've actually been able to lose weight again. Having a job that allows me the freedom to buy whatever healthy food I want is helping a ton.

I'll probably just post once a month with an update, but I look forward to reading everyone else's progress!

Feb 23, 2018
It's been almost a week since my biopsy and no exercise since but somehow ive dropped the weight back to my end July weight despite little to no exercise and not tracking my eating. I had a health checkup at my company and everything was good except my liver results. My ast and alt were around 150 and 255 (cant remember which was which) when the normal range was under 60. Reading around it seems most likely its pre-fatty liver or maybe its already fatty liver and i don't drink alcohol at all! Losing weight seems like it might help so now i have an even bigger reason to drop the weight.

I did tabata twice and the first time i thought i was seriously going to have a heart attack based on how fast my heart was beating. The instructor was shouting bootcamp style so i was definitely pushing beyond my limits, even though it felt good after. Definitely keep to do it again once i get much fitter.

Does anyone else struggle with getting enough protein? I love fatty meats like salami, luncheon meat, parma ham, etc but those high protein food like greek yogurt and chicken breasts are difficult for me to eat. Like they seriously destroy my appetite for some reason. I'm trying to keep within 100-120g of protein a day (weight is 162lbs) but once i actually hit my 100g mark, i never want to eat more. I tested it out, if i get about 120g of protein and eat that first, i don't feel hungry even if im eating under 1200 cals (1750 is my tdee) for the day. Is it ok if i feel full, if im getting enough protein even if i eat under 1200? Or should i force myself to try to eat more?

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Does anyone else struggle with getting enough protein? I love fatty meats like salami, luncheon meat, parma ham, etc but those high protein food like greek yogurt and chicken breasts are difficult for me to eat. Like they seriously destroy my appetite for some reason. I'm trying to keep within 100-120g of protein a day (weight is 162lbs) but once i actually hit my 100g mark, i never want to eat more. I tested it out, if i get about 120g of protein and eat that first, i don't feel hungry even if im eating under 1200 cals (1750 is my tdee) for the day. Is it ok if i feel full, if im getting enough protein even if i eat under 1200? Or should i force myself to try to eat more?

Do you supplement before bed? You could get a chunk of protein in before bed to help support recovery.

Also, if you're progressing in strength, are seeing growth and recovering well enough, don't sweat the protein levels so much. You may find your appetite for protein increasing naturally as you put on muscle mass.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been almost a week since my biopsy and no exercise since but somehow ive dropped the weight back to my end July weight despite little to no exercise and not tracking my eating. I had a health checkup at my company and everything was good except my liver results. My ast and alt were around 150 and 255 (cant remember which was which) when the normal range was under 60. Reading around it seems most likely its pre-fatty liver or maybe its already fatty liver and i don't drink alcohol at all! Losing weight seems like it might help so now i have an even bigger reason to drop the weight.

I did tabata twice and the first time i thought i was seriously going to have a heart attack based on how fast my heart was beating. The instructor was shouting bootcamp style so i was definitely pushing beyond my limits, even though it felt good after. Definitely keep to do it again once i get much fitter.

I typically hit my protein goal daily which is around 125g of protein. Ever since I raised my protein to 125g (from 100g), I've been getting 25-50g of it from a whey protein supplement. I intend to go with a pea protein supplement in the future since apparently it has less of a insulin response. I prefer lean meats for the higher protein content. I add fats via oils, like butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. Makes it taste great. It does feel much harder to hit 125g than 100g. My macros are based on ketogain's reddit... roughly.

Is your TDEE really 1750? Seems kinda low. I'm similar weight and my BMR is ballpark there.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Been a bit since I checked in.

August 19th: 195.4
August 29th: 192.4

That marks 60lbs lost since I started in January.

Been a rough couple weeks too pushing through it. Plus the world is crap and I feel like total shit and it would be so fucking easy to just eat my feeling away and feel better.

Fuck it's hard.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I should probably get in here and post what results I've had.

Originally I was 330 back in high school. I started working out and lost about 136 lbs. at my lightest I was 196, but after my girlfriend moved into town I stopped focusing on the gym. Eventually we got married and my weight kept going up.

At the end of July I weighed in at 264, I didn't want to be an overweight dad (we're trying to have a kid), but that was the course I was on. So I made a commitment to get back to 196 by June 2020.

31st July 2019 - 264
29th August 2019 - 250

This is the first time in a long time I've actually been able to lose weight again. Having a job that allows me the freedom to buy whatever healthy food I want is helping a ton.

I'll probably just post once a month with an update, but I look forward to reading everyone else's progress!
Welcome to the thread! I've added you to the spreadsheet.

Your protein intake is probably fine as long as you're getting above 100g. True, you get maximum gainz at 1.6g per kg of body weight (~120g for you as of last check in), but there are people in the Fitness thread who've gotten absolutely jacked on 1.3g per kg (~100g for you).

As long as you're training correctly and sleeping enough, you won't go backwards.

Been a bit since I checked in.

August 19th: 195.4
August 29th: 192.4

That marks 60lbs lost since I started in January.

Been a rough couple weeks too pushing through it. Plus the world is crap and I feel like total shit and it would be so fucking easy to just eat my feeling away and feel better.

Fuck it's hard.
Congrats on the milestone!

Keep at it. The time will pass and the world will spin regardless of what you're doing. May as well be healthy when you face it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Back, years ago, when I lost a ton of weight (albeit over a slow period of time), I got this a lot. I was not. I was perfectly healthy. I think some of it is people just comparing you to your past self. I think a some (perhaps very small) of it is jealously. I experienced real anger from my overweight co-workers, for example, in other areas. They even canceled our office lunches making rude comments about how I never got fast food with them, "so it doesn't feel like a group thing."

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Back, years ago, when I lost a ton of weight (albeit over a slow period of time), I got this a lot. I was not. I was perfectly healthy. I think some of it is people just comparing you to your past self. I think a some (perhaps very small) of it is jealously. I experienced real anger from my overweight co-workers, for example, in other areas. They even canceled our office lunches making rude comments about how I never got fast food with them, "so it doesn't feel like a group thing."
Wow, that sounds rough. On the whole, the people in my life have been mostly supportive. The only time I got the "you're getting too skinny" comments were from my wife and from my mum, both of whom were just used to me being chubby. I blame my cheekbones showing up when those had been MIA since I was in uni.

Oh, and there was that one guy who predicted that eventually I'd just gain it all back. That seemed a little rude at the time.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Wow, that sounds rough. On the whole, the people in my life have been mostly supportive. The only time I got the "you're getting too skinny" comments were from my wife and from my mum, both of whom were just used to me being chubby. I blame my cheekbones showing up when those had been MIA since I was in uni.

Oh, and there was that one guy who predicted that eventually I'd just gain it all back. That seemed a little rude at the time.
Oh man, did I ever get that. It was particularly weird to me, because I lost it slow and steady. No diet of any sort, just healthy eating and exercise. It was about an 18 month period. So when people said that to me, I'd be like "No, this is me now." It's been 10 years, and I never gained it all back. Right now I'm heavier than I want to be (but down 10 pounds from a month ago), but I'm still 45 pounds lighter than I was back when I started, and I'm roughly 15 years older to boot.

And re the original topic: It was kind of rough. As I said, I got it worst from my co-workers. I tried not to hold it against them. I mean they were angry at me for losing weight and getting healthy. That's not really a rational anger, so I assumed they were projecting something internal, since they were all overweight. Still, it was weird to switch from fat shamers to health shamers, lol.

Feb 23, 2018
Do you supplement before bed? You could get a chunk of protein in before bed to help support recovery.

Also, if you're progressing in strength, are seeing growth and recovering well enough, don't sweat the protein levels so much. You may find your appetite for protein increasing naturally as you put on muscle mass.

I typically don't supplement before bed, will try that out!

I typically hit my protein goal daily which is around 125g of protein. Ever since I raised my protein to 125g (from 100g), I've been getting 25-50g of it from a whey protein supplement. I intend to go with a pea protein supplement in the future since apparently it has less of a insulin response. I prefer lean meats for the higher protein content. I add fats via oils, like butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. Makes it taste great. It does feel much harder to hit 125g than 100g. My macros are based on ketogain's reddit... roughly.

Is your TDEE really 1750? Seems kinda low. I'm similar weight and my BMR is ballpark there.

I put my weight, age and height to the tdee calculators and its all around there. Sadly im a measly 5'3, female and sedentary, so i dont expect my tdee to be much higher tbh. Definitely thinking of getting some whey protein, do you recommend any for taste? Ive tried 2 protein powders before but couldnt stomache how weirdly artifical they tasted. Going to try the optimum (the black bottle) next, hopefully it taste better since it seems pretty popular.

Welcome to the thread! I've added you to the spreadsheet.

Your protein intake is probably fine as long as you're getting above 100g. True, you get maximum gainz at 1.6g per kg of body weight (~120g for you as of last check in), but there are people in the Fitness thread who've gotten absolutely jacked on 1.3g per kg (~100g for you).

As long as you're training correctly and sleeping enough, you won't go backwards.

Aww thanks for doing the calculation! Sleeping more has definitely been a struggle too, will just trying to hit the above 100g mark

Oct 25, 2017
I put my weight, age and height to the tdee calculators and its all around there. Sadly im a measly 5'3, female and sedentary, so i dont expect my tdee to be much higher tbh. Definitely thinking of getting some whey protein, do you recommend any for taste? Ive tried 2 protein powders before but couldnt stomache how weirdly artifical they tasted. Going to try the optimum (the black bottle) next, hopefully it taste better since it seems pretty popular.

I'm using BPI sports ISO HD chocolate brownie. But I don't have a lot of experience between brands since I haven't been using whey for a long time now.

I think I can relate to your struggle here. I just had 2 scoops of the whey protein. Not even sure that is smart, but 50g of protein spread in about 16oz of water. 2 teaspoons of cinnamon added, not quite for flavor but other aspects of cinnamon. I'm already full and I am supposed to eat at least 500 calories so my second meal of the day isn't so heavy. But I think it'll be okay.

I am keto so I typically eat more fats than an average diet. But, 3 tablespoons of olive oil mixed into a salad meets almost 30% of my caloric requirement and 40% of my fat requirement and it's literally just 3 teaspoons of oil. I just have to get hungry enough to eat an 8oz steak and a couple servings of cauliflower and I'll be Gucci. So my suggestion is that you find some foods that perhaps are easier to down alongside your proteins. Perhaps even eat those first too, especially your veggies/greens since those can be hard to eat afterwards but are super important.

125g of protein is pretty hard to do daily though tbh. Maybe trying starting a little lower and adding a little more each week.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I'm a guts, so ingesting a lot of protein is easy for me and helps me with hunger management. I'm also not a very picky eater, which helps. I do like a protein bar before bed, as it helps me sleep - maybe it's not going to bed on an empty stomach, maybe it's like drinking a glass of milk is supposed to make you sleep better. It's generally the only "meal" I'll have after lunch, so it does address the empty stomach feeling at bedtime.

Casein (another milk protein) is supposedly better than whey for bedtime supplementation as it's supposed to be a slower release. I do some have Inc vanilla casein, which is delicious and more creamy than all the whey I've tried, but as I said, I've switched to a protein bar before bed. I'm not sure if this brand (Inc) would be available in areas outside of Australia/New Zealand though and I don't know if the creaminess I mentioned is specific to the brand or to casein in general as it's the only one I've ever tried.

I tend to like a big lunch, and work the rest of my nutrition around that, so I'll have around 60-80g of protein from chicken breast at lunch at least 4 times a week. Batch cooking it in a pressure cooker in a tomato based sauce makes it very soft/pull-apart/moist and tasty compared to grilled chicken breast and it is much easier to consume and cook. I divide the rest of my nutrition around a smaller breakfast, which may include supplementation, and the afore mentioned protein bar at bed and maybe a handful of nuts mid-afternoon. I tend to aim for around 100-150g of carbs a day.

Research is mixed on how much protein you can ingest in a meal and have it available for muscle growth, but there are plenty of examples of people doing IF and OMAD getting solid growth from their intake of protein, so I'm not sure spreading it out into 6 meals a day is necessary for most people's goals. I do generally have at least 20g-30g of protein within an hour or so after a workout with some fruit or something, but I typically workout before breakfast, so it fits in naturally with that.

Feb 23, 2018
I'm a guts, so ingesting a lot of protein is easy for me and helps me with hunger management. I'm also not a very picky eater, which helps. I do like a protein bar before bed, as it helps me sleep - maybe it's not going to bed on an empty stomach, maybe it's like drinking a glass of milk is supposed to make you sleep better. It's generally the only "meal" I'll have after lunch, so it does address the empty stomach feeling at bedtime.

Casein (another milk protein) is supposedly better than whey for bedtime supplementation as it's supposed to be a slower release. I do some have Inc vanilla casein, which is delicious and more creamy than all the whey I've tried, but as I said, I've switched to a protein bar before bed. I'm not sure if this brand (Inc) would be available in areas outside of Australia/New Zealand though and I don't know if the creaminess I mentioned is specific to the brand or to casein in general as it's the only one I've ever tried.

I tend to like a big lunch, and work the rest of my nutrition around that, so I'll have around 60-80g of protein from chicken breast at lunch at least 4 times a week. Batch cooking it in a pressure cooker in a tomato based sauce makes it very soft/pull-apart/moist and tasty compared to grilled chicken breast and it is much easier to consume and cook. I divide the rest of my nutrition around a smaller breakfast, which may include supplementation, and the afore mentioned protein bar at bed and maybe a handful of nuts mid-afternoon. I tend to aim for around 100-150g of carbs a day.

Research is mixed on how much protein you can ingest in a meal and have it available for muscle growth, but there are plenty of examples of people doing IF and OMAD getting solid growth from their intake of protein, so I'm not sure spreading it out into 6 meals a day is necessary for most people's goals. I do generally have at least 20g-30g of protein within an hour or so after a workout with some fruit or something, but I typically workout before breakfast, so it fits in naturally with that.

I've been thinking of getting the isopure whey since that has good reviews for flavour but now im thinking i shoukd try casein instead. Thanks!

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
End of the month. Started the month at 285. Now I'm at 268. It was a good month. I was really strict on my diet. I needed it because most of my Summer my weight loss was stalled despite working out every day. So that brings my weight loss to 88 pounds for 2019. I might just check in at the end of every month. I want to be below 250 before the Holidays.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Update

29th July 85.6kg
24th August 84kg
31st August 83.6kg

I did have a few days off as my gym was closed due to a 2 day carnival. I also had some naughty food this week a few times but still managed to lose a little so I'm happy about that.
As well as losing body fat, I've been gaining a lot of muscle weight.
I'm gonna update every 2-3 weeks from now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Had a bit rough week the week before last, but within the last week I got myself together again.

Now at 78.9 kg.

What I find really effective for me, besides eating decently of course, is going to work with a bicycle. It's about 9 kilometres to one direction or ~30 minutes, so I get a pretty good sweat on during it. It burns like 600 calories daily and since it's "just" going to work, I don't have to push myself to do it at all. It also doesn't make me any more hungry I feel. It also helps that despite living in a city area, most of my bicycling path is actually forest (there's a huge forest park in the middle of Helsinki). It really makes it a lot nicer.