• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody laugh at the word "Carddass"
DH-kV9SVYAAwvmu.jpg
If you're unfamiliar, CARDDASS is a trading card series from Bandai. Instead of buying packs, you get them out of vending machines. I believe they are mostly for collection purposes, but there do seem to be some that have actual gameplay elements tied into them.

In 1997, there was Pokemon Carddass set featuring each of the 151 Pokemon. All artwork was drawn by Ken Sugimori and feature Pokemon in situations that has never been shown before any official art. I learned about it today via this tweet:

You can view the full set here. There are some really cool, unusual, and downright frightening portrayals of everyone's favorite Pocket Monsters.

RIP
Daq_o5pV4AEedgM.jpg

Oh, so THAT'S how Water Gun works
w56E3Og.jpg

...Gods...
DarM4vQVAAEZBG5.jpg

Share your favorites, or just random Carddass info you may have.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OMG that Ditto...

I had never heard of these before. They are really cool, thanks for sharing OP.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember my local Chinese buffet having these with their vending and game machines around 1998.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The Electrode one is enlightening. I don't think I've seen a Voltorb or Electrode actually open like a Pokeball, though maybe I missed it in some other media.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why Krabby and Kingler want to choke a bitch out of Ditto so hard.

403px-Bandai_Krabby_card.jpg
403px-Bandai_Kingler_card.jpg

Also I have no idea why, but for some reason I find this one the creepiest. Partially because I think I always viewed Koffing as this sorta' fleshy thing, but this points it out to be more like a balloon:

403px-Bandai_Koffing_card.jpg

Something about a 'crusty' Koffing unnerves me.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Early Pokémon art is the coolest stuff. You get a much more interesting and insightful look into how these creatures behave and fit into their ecosystems. I still love Pokémon but I don't think you really get that anymore. Not as much, anyway.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just in case it's not obvious, the cards represent specific moves. The name of each move is in Kana next to the Pokemon's name. If anyone is curious I can transcribe some.

Cubone's is "Nakigoe", which was translated as "Growl", but in Japanese it's more like "Cry", both as in an animal's cry and, well, what the Cubone is doing in that image. :)

Golem and Koffing's are Explosion and Self-Destruct respectively. I don't know why Pokemon needs two self-destruct moves but it certainly doesn't make it look good on the grounds of abuse. :D

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weepinbell is vile, the way it should be. Suigimori really captured the horrible, disgusting essence of this carnivorous flower

Bandai_Weepinbell_card.jpg

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These were very cool. Back when Pokemon was a genuine take on nature and not a super cleaned up children's thing which ignores logic.

Oct 25, 2017
Wing Attack was supposed to throw feathers? Wowa. (I haven't played anything after B/W so excuse me if they do that in current 3D animations)
Nidoqueen Poison Sting is some shit.

Aggressive as shit Clefairy is my favorite though.
Bandai_Clefairy_card.jpg

And you BETTER DON'T PULL THAT AGAIN
Bandai_Clefable_card.jpg

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Victrebell's razor leaf is awesome.

I didn't know Pinsir's horns worked like that lol

Is that the most we've seen of cubone's face, officially?

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
These are amazing OP. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe I didn't know about this. I adore this era. You don't get this kind of stuff anymore. The only recent artwork that comes close to this is that one of a Palossand eating a Pikachu or maybe some TCG art.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Somehow I managed to miss the link to the full set in the OP and didn't find them by google... it even has links to the moves >_< . Epic fail of the day on my part.

Bandai_Nidorina_card.jpg

This seems... unwise.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Absolutely love the art in these cards. I wish Pokemon still had action shots like this, all you get for official art now is just a standing static image. The Weepinbell one is so good.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
These are funny:
Bandai_Machoke_card.jpg

Bandai_Geodude_card.jpg

Seismic throw (above) is supposed to throw the target against the ground, not (a piece of) the ground against the target. As if to compensate, Rock Throw (below) depics Geodude throwing himself against the target. I guess he is a rock, after all! :D

Edit: OK, this one is just great (Dream Eater):
Bandai_Gengar_card.jpg

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that so many of these are pokemon attacking each other and eating to survive. I love when Pokemon are treated like the unpredictable, wild animals that they are.

Particularly a fan the ones like Weepingbell or Ditto that are just kinda gross. Weepingbell is a large carnivore flower that spews corrosion everywhere, it's not a fun pet. It's a hazard!

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Early Pokemon art is my favorite. Really not as fond as the art that came off later as....I dunno...everything just seeming happy Pokemon art.