• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Back to before or after I was granted the right to marry? Sodomy laws? Or Don't ask Don't Tell? Protection under hate crime law? Visitation rights? Couple benefits?

Thats like, the last 17 years only, too. It's exponentially worse if you go back even further [We're talking torture. Weaponizing of AIDS, etc]

The list is just as awful for other minorities, so naw. Make America Better.

Last edited:

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The call to reclaim the past is the refrain of ignorant nationalists. The history they imagine is narrow and false, and if they read it they'd know that most societies which try to reverse time are already in permanent decline.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
pictured: america being great

1080055234_0:154:2047:1262_1000x541_80_0_0_79235218e930a60809daa72e089e0c7d.jpg

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
The USA was never great. You could make it great by shutting down the empire and fixing the internal issue's that afflict the poor, working and non-white people internally.

OP
OP
DanSensei

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
OP romanticizing a time he never lived
Maybe I am, but I saw my grandfather, who never even went to college, raised four children and gave them good lives and now anyone not named Walton or Bezos can't get anything no matter what degree they have. What's wrong with wanting people to be better off? Of course I detest racism and we need to leave that in the past, and while it may define America's past in many ways, the biggest change in America has been everybody suffering financially.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I am, but I saw my grandfather, who never even went to college, raised four children and gave them good lives and now anyone not named Walton or Bezos can't get anything no matter what degree they have. What's wrong with wanting people to be better off? Of course I detest racism and we need to leave that in the past, and while it may define America's past in many ways, the biggest change in America has been everybody suffering financially.
How old is your grandfather?

Oct 25, 2017

So to you, we should go back to a time where only some people are suffering financially, because of the color of their skin

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Agreed comrade, the working class needs to come together and overthrow the bourgeoisie. Nothing to lose but our chains!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So you recognize that America was never great? And that MAGA is inherently bullshit

That's why we shouldn't use it

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

My grandpa did the same because he was involved in local government that kept black families out of his neighborhood.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
He was born in the 20s. WWII vet.
He was alive for 40 years before America passed the civil rights act. And soon after that, an entire generation developed more subtle and pernicious ways to persecute minorities. There is a not insubstantial amount of pain involved with the notion of "great again," when so many people have been excluded from the opportunity of greatness. Surely you recognize this.

The phrase is meant to conjure images of a better time, which existed only for white America. There is a reason it is used by the people it is used by. There is nothing to reclaim here. It is a weaponized idea. It is meant to rally the white bigots of America.

OP
OP
DanSensei

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
So you recognize that America was never great? And that MAGA is inherently bullshit

That's why we shouldn't use it
It was never fully great, and I am no nationalist or racist. The main reason I suggested this, and it doesn't seem to have been made clear, is that if we took back MAGA imagine how it would piss off trump and his supporters.

America had some great elements in its past, and I was hoping we could focus on those of we reclaimed maga.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

It's all about dem straight whites, baby. I wouldn't go 'back', but Reagan-ism has definitely seen us down a shitty path.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It was never fully great, and I am no nationalist or racist. The main reason I suggested this, and it doesn't seem to have been made clear, is that if we took back MAGA imagine how it would piss off trump and his supporters.

America had some great elements in its past, and I was hoping we could focus on those of we reclaimed maga.
What do you mean by "take back MAGA"? What do you think it meant before Trump adopted it as a campaign slogan?

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I kinda get the OPs sentiment, back in the new deal era, as long as you were white, you could own a home and make a good living without a college degree. I think what they mean is if we could make it like that again but for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017

So embrace nationalism to own the cons

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No. That's why I said the hope was there before it got destroyed, but there's a reason why green new deal has new deal in its name. We need to go back to that mentality of helping people, but with eyes more on racial equality.
The only reason these large stimulus bills were passed, the only reason America ever seemed to care for the poor, the only reason we seemed to be at the forefront of general quality of life, is because these benefits were for entirely meant for white people.

In America, bettering the country and caring about non-whites are mutually exclusive concepts.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't agree that you could reclaim proud boys so I don't agree with reclaiming this.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

stop framing your worldview on how much it will piss off trump and his supporters (which lol they won't care), this is a very unhealthy and politically immature way to view conflict within society

OP
OP
DanSensei

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
I kinda get the OPs sentiment, back in the new deal era, as long as you were white, you could own a home and make a good living without a college degree. I think what they mean is if we could make it like that again but for everyone.
Thank you. This is what I meant. I don't discuss politics that much, and wasn't really specific enough. I apologize for that, but this is what I meant.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019

Trump supporters don't give a shit if you try to reclaim their verbiage. If anything it makes them more powerful.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
MAGA is forever trash and there's no need to take it back and turn it against Trump. If we want to upset him and his base, we just need to support Black Lives Matter, defund the police, support transgender citizens, and give women the right to choose. And we need to. Vote. Against. Trump. And. The. GOP.

OP
OP
DanSensei

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
MAGA is forever trash and there's no need to take it back and turn it against Trump. If we want to upset him and his base, we just need to support Black Lives Matter, defund the police, support transgender citizens, and give women the right to choose. And we need to. Vote. Against. Trump. And. The. GOP.
Well, for the record, I do all that and have already voted against him.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, maybe if you refer as making the continent great, because for most people on the world except us citizens america is the continent, not the country.

This is not true. When abroad, the moment I utter the phrase, "I'm American," people automatically know I'm talking about the US. I'm saying this from anyone from Europe, the Americas (North, central, and south, Asia, and just about anywhere else.

I'm sort of onboard with this line of reasoning. Although, I would not choose MAGA as a slogan since it originated from Republicans during the Reagan admin. However, there could be value to hearken back to the middle class expansion of the post-WW2 economy. However, this can only be done with the caveat of understanding and admitting that at the time it was only great for the white working class, but promise to be great for every American no matter the race or sexual orientation.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

But you're quite literally advocating for a slogan that reads Make America Great Again

Surely you can understand how bad of idea this is and how it's inherently racist.

America was never great and you're either ignorant to its history or knowingly promoting bigotry

OP
OP
DanSensei

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
But you're quite literally advocating for a slogan that reads Make America Great Again

Surely you can understand how bad of idea this is and how it's inherently racist.

America was never great and you're either ignorant to its history or knowingly promoting bigotry
I didn't think it through enough in all the ways I should have, and I apologize for that.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you. This is what I meant. I don't discuss politics that much, and wasn't really specific enough. I apologize for that, but this is what I meant.
The problem with that is you're saying again when it was never like that, so you're saying it should be make America great but at that point it's not retaking the slogan back. Which, again, has always been a conservative slogan, so there is nothing to take back. You might as well say Make America Better. I'm sorry but you really are romanticizing something that not only wasn't great for the majority of people but was downright dire and hopeless for others. We need to go forward and not backwards.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
This is not true. When abroad, the moment I utter the phrase, "I'm American," people automatically know I'm talking about the US. I'm saying this from anyone from Europe, the Americas (North, central, and south, Asia, and just about anywhere else.

I'm sort of onboard with this line of reasoning. Although, I would not choose MAGA as a slogan since it originated from Republicans during the Reagan admin. However, there could be value to hearken back to the middle class expansion of the post-WW2 economy. However, this can only be done with the caveat of understanding and admitting that at the time it was only great for the white working class, but promise to be great for every American no matter the race or sexual orientation.
Yeah, the MAGA slogan was never true and is too toxic, in reality MAGA should be MAGFW(Make America Great For Whites). We could just use Make America Great For Everyone, but MAGFE doesn't roll of the tongue too well.

OP
OP
DanSensei

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
The problem with that is you're saying again when it was never like that, so you're saying it should be make America great but at that point it's not retaking the slogan back. Which, again, has always been a conservative slogan, so there is nothing to take back. You might as well say Make America Better. I'm sorry but you really are romanticizing something that not only wasn't great for the majority of people but was downright dire and hopeless for others. We need to go forward and not backwards.
True. I was throwing an idea out there that would have hopefully made a few maga people mad enough to say something stupid and turn a few voters away from them. Just wanted to do my part in the election.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the MAGA slogan was never true and is too toxic, in reality MAGA should be MAGFW(Make America Great For Whites). We could just use Make America Great For Everyone, but MAGFE doesn't roll of the tongue too well.

Right MAGFE won't roll off the tongue well lol. I do think a catchy and central slogan that is 2-3 syllables and captures the idea of transforming USA to work for everyone would be great. Though, I'm not sure if a nationlistic slogan would ultimately be a good thing or not.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
We need to fix real problems. Police training, cost of healthcare, cost of education, affordable housing in cities, strengthening of unions.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Why reclaim it? To me it has connotations of regress rather than progress and it's subject to the pitfalls of the times. Want to go back to 50s racism? 60s Vietnam war? 70s cold war? Despite all the positive things that happened in those decades?

I think we should use something far more positive like "Make America the best it's ever been" or "Make America Better" or simply "For a better America" as it is evergreen and it recognizes that while we are great, we can always improve and should never become complacent.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
To want to reclaim that saying would mean someone actually believed that America was ever great. No such thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.