• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WBAL has reported on the new interest regarding the Rey Rivera case from 2006 that was featured on Netflix's reboot of Unsolved Mysteries:

According to the article, Baltimore Police have stated that this case is still open however they did not determine the death of Rivera was a suicide:

www.wbaltv.com

'Unsolved Mysteries' on Netflix sparks new interest in Rey Rivera case

A 14-year mystery is drawing new interest through a series that debuted on Netflix.

Jul 16, 2020

BALTIMORE — A 14-year mystery is drawing new interest through a series that debuted on Netflix.

Rey Rivera was a 32-year-old writer who disappeared in May 2006. His body was found eight days later under bizarre circumstances.

Allison Rivera has gone without answers about the death of her husband for 14 years.

"I think living without answers is a really hard thing," she said. "Human beings, we like to put things in a box, then kind of move on."

Rey Rivera's body was found in May 2006 in a meeting room of The Belvedere Hotel. A hole in the roof suggested he fell from a height. Mystery has prevailed ever since.

This month sparked new interest in the case. The Netflix series "Unsolved Mysteries" featured the Rey Rivera case in its opening episode. It was the first time Allison Rivera spoke so publicly about her loss and frustration of not knowing what led to her husband's death.

Baltimore police homicide Maj. Steve Hohman told the I-Team the case is officially open and it was never officially ruled a suicide.

Detective Bier, featured in the film, was not the primary investigator on the case. He was not reassigned to get him off the case. His transfer to SAFE Streets taskforce was his request and investigation into this case continued after his transfer. Bier's view/opinion of the incident are not the official view of the BPD.

While much of the evidence and information is not definitive, there is no conclusive evidence to make a determination that the incident is a homicide. For those reasons, it is appropriate for the case to remain open and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to keep the cause "undetermined."

"While the case is classified as open, the department has not received any new evidence for follow-up. We welcome any additional information that may assist investigators with the task of bringing forth closure to the family and friends of Ray Rivera," Hohman said.

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this one last night.

I feel like the police were in on it considering how quickly it fell off their radar, and how the suicide angle didn't fit considering the planted evidence on the roof.

Wonder if he got roped into some weird cult or if his "best friend" offed him for a potential incoming arrest due to financial stuff.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this episode and was curious to know if they every talked to either of the crew responsible for finding the hole.

The whole way it played out made it seem like no one would ever see that hole and think that was some how related, and yet here's this scouting party who is like "Oh hey, there's this hole that can ONLY be seen from this part of the parking garage... think it's related?"

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just finished the first episode and this is extremely puzzling. I'm with those that think the friend knows something about his death.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Just finished watching this episode. It's crazy to me that it's been 14 years and they still haven't spoken to anyone at Stansberry. And, yeah, his "friend" definitely knows what happened to him.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw finished watching this episode. It's crazy to me that it's been 14 years and they still haven't spoken to anyone at Stansberry. And, yeah, his "friend" definitely knows what happened to him.

I fully agree with this as well.

As a Baltimorean, way back in 2006, I remember hearing about the sudden disappearance then the mysterious death of Rey Rivera and thought it was rather strange that the police didn't involve investigating Stansberry.

Still crazy that 14 years later, this is still a cold case and the police hasn't gotten any tips regarding this death.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did they just precede to let that law firm just seemingly get away with not saying anything. As literally the last phone call the person received that led then to their death i don't understand how you just can't figure out who made the call. Feels like something that will be reveled in like 30 years when those involved are near death

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
This show made me remember that it can be easy to get away with murder if you set up an easy alternative resolution for the cops so they don't have to do much work. Just rule it a suicide and call it day!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it was first reported that Baltimore Police was leaning towards suicide, I immediately thought that was rather strange since the police found the body of Rey inside what was then a meeting space of the Belvedere hotel and there was a hole in that roof and it was determined he somehow came through that hole in the roof.

WBAL reported that Rey would've needed to be moving at a speed of 11 MPH to have jumped from that parking garage deck to make it to that specific spot on the roof successfully and that was very strange that police would be leaning towards suicide.

Now 14 years later, the police told WBAL that they didn't rule the death as a suicide and that the case is still open.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a lot left out of the episode that was relevant to the case, which actually makes it much less mysterious? I swear I saw that somewhere after I watched this.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
It kind of reminded me of the game (the movie). Also I can't believe they haven't put that entire note online I feel like if it was a code people would crack it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was surprised at how quickly they dismissed the weird note behind the computer and all his notebooks. Seems like there must be something there.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I was surprised at how quickly they dismissed the weird note behind the computer and all his notebooks. Seems like there must be something there.
Police just want to get it done with. Cops in general are, to be blunt, rather lazy when it comes to anything complex.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Not to make light out of the other tragedies, but this one was the most bonkers when you tried to put the whole thing together. Putting this first had me absolutely hooked on the program.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a suicide. There was a suicide note even. These new unsolved mysteries are not really mysteries, or at least the few I've seen

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

"Written by Rivera, the note begins and ends with Freemason-related verbiage and also contained a list of names – close friends and family of Rivera, who he asked be made "5 years younger". The note also mentions the death of Actor Christoper Reeve and Director Stanley Kubrick."

I mean, the note really just points to him suffering from mental illness. Not much the cops can do with that.

WBAL reported that Rey would've needed to be moving at a speed of 11 MPH to have jumped from that parking garage deck to make it to that specific spot on the roof successfully and that was very strange that police would be leaning towards suicide.

11mph isn't that fast for a grown man. However, it would be an impressive feat for someone else to throw a 250 pound man that fast.

It's pretty easy to see why the cops leaned towards suicide. This case has mental illness and suicide written all over it.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It's much less mysterious than the Netflix episode implies. They also left out of the episode all of the footage shot with Mikita Brottman an author about a book on the case which gave them the inspiration for the episode.

EDIT : The FBI analysis the show kind of ignores shows he was in fact of unsound mind. Delusion disorder, possible bipolar and schizophrenia.

drive.google.com

FBIReport2.PDF

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's much less mysterious than the Netflix episode implies. They also left out of the episode all of the footage shot with Mikita Brottman an author about a book on the case which gave them the inspiration for the episode.

EDIT : The FBI analysis the show kind of ignores shows he was in fact of unsound mind. Delusion disorder, possible bipolar and schizophrenia.

A Netflix documentary that leaves out huge pieces of information to push a certain narrative and agenda? Impossible!

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Something interesting about the note is that it mentions the movie "The Game" - in that movie the protagonist jumps through the roof of a nice hotel.

Dec 23, 2017
Hey have anyone had issue with the house of terror episode. There is like this weird narration through the whole episode. We can't watch it it's distracting? Anyone else have this?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this episode last night and it's wild. I need to read up on the information that wasn't covered because it definitely doesn't seem like a suicide. Who can run that fast and jump off a roof wearing flip flops?

He gets a phone call and then immediately drives downtown to commit suicide? The person who called him was probably the last person to speak to him so why wouldn't police want to at least interview that person?

Also if the goal was to jump off the roof next to the parking garage-why didnt he park his car in the parking garage itself instead of a parking lot down the street??

pedrothelion

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the episode left a lot of stuff out that made it seem a lot less mysterious tbh. I'll try and find a source...

drive.google.com

FBIReport2.PDF

The note is just a tone reel. It's a technique taught in film school (which he went to) to help you prep a script. He was probably getting ready to write conspiracy thriller.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
The note is just a tone reel. It's a technique taught in film school (which he went to) to help you prep a script. He was probably getting ready to write conspiracy thriller.

That he taped to the back of his computer after cutting it down to a specific tiny size. Pretty sure they don't teach you than it film school.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a lot left out of the episode that was relevant to the case, which actually makes it much less mysterious? I swear I saw that somewhere after I watched this.

from what i understand the FBI concluded guy was a nut and supposedly there never was a gag order on his employer

still a weird ass case but the episode kind of jogs around some of the more "mundane" explanations

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Hey have anyone had issue with the house of terror episode. There is like this weird narration through the whole episode. We can't watch it it's distracting? Anyone else have this?

is in French so you watching it dubbed with hard of hearing descriptions. You could change it to is original language French if you want.

also note the floor under the murder room has a Russian restaurant (called "Red Square") that is never open, and there's a SEC charge against the company for defrauding a Russian company. Plus some people miss that the flip flop, glasses and phone were found on top of the roof not in the room. And the cameras were not working on that day but it was fine the day before and after.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a suicide. There was a suicide note even. These new unsolved mysteries are not really mysteries, or at least the few I've seen

It was pretty obvious that his friend/business partner had something to do with it. The note wasn't specifically a suicide note, especially for someone working in film. There's far too much shady evidence to write it off as a suicide.

The cameras being out, how did he gain access to the room, most hotels don't even allow access from windows to the outside, especially at higher levels, the phone call from his buddy which prompted him immediately to go running out without a trace and drive downtown to commit suicide? That's not even counting the specific details of what was found at the crime scene, like his phone and glasses being found intact on the roof, the physics of him jumping from the roof to the shorter building. There's just far too many details for it to be a cut and dry suicide.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
It was pretty obvious that his friend/business partner had something to do with it. The note wasn't specifically a suicide note, especially for someone working in film. There's far too much shady evidence to write it off as a suicide.

The cameras being out, how did he gain access to the room, most hotels don't even allow access from windows to the outside, especially at higher levels, the phone call from his buddy which prompted him immediately to go running out without a trace and drive downtown to commit suicide? That's not even counting the specific details of what was found at the crime scene, like his phone and glasses being found intact on the roof, the physics of him jumping from the roof to the shorter building. There's just far too many details for it to be a cut and dry suicide.

I think someone else on here in the actual unsolved mysteries thread said getting to the roof isn't actually that hard at all and that it was shown multiple times that you could get up there without interacting with a single person when they originally were checking out the case.

I don't personally think it was a suicide, but with all this misinformation being spread through the show I'm not sure what to actually believe at this point.