• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

deadline.com

John Lee Hancock On A 30-Year Odyssey Making ‘The Little Things’ With Denzel Washington, Rami Malek & Jared Leto, And The Abrupt HBO Max Pandemic Pivot: The Deadline Q&A

John Lee Hancock On A 30 Year Odyssey Making 'The Little Things' With Denzel Washington, Rami Malek & Jared Leto, And An Abrupt HBO Max Pivot

Rumors have the solution to that breach being to preserve Dune as a traditional theatrical to preserve its franchise potential and since its October 1 release date falls well after the estimated late spring date when Covid vaccines should achieve herd immunity. Godzilla vs. Kong might stay an HBO Max hybrid in its May 21 slot, but only if Warner Bros makes a deal with Legendary that uses as a base the $250 million value established when the film was shopped earlier to Netflix. There is also King Richard, the Will Smith-starrer that nearly went to Netflix and Barack and Michelle Obama's Higher Ground. Smith's deal expressly calls for a theatrical only release, sources say, and while he became the first big star to sign one of those $30 million Netflix salary + pre-negotiated back end deals several years ago on Bright, Warner Bros only won the vigorous King Richard auction because its makers and the family of Venus and Serena Williams wanted to see the underdog story of their father Richard play on the big screen.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, I'm not paying money to watch this. HBO Max is probably the best way to get as many eyes on it as possible. Franchise potential will be nil if it bombs.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay but push it out of 2021 because there is no way movie theaters are going back to their pre-2020 levels of attendance this coming year.

It'll be DOA like Tenet if they don't.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they release it theatrically anytime soon that will probably do as much to kill its franchises chances.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal? When is this supposed to drop? I can't imagine a box office release is more lucrative right now.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I looked for an article on this before I wanted to post it but couldn't find anything on Deadline's site?
deadline.com

John Lee Hancock On A 30-Year Odyssey Making ‘The Little Things’ With Denzel Washington, Rami Malek & Jared Leto, And The Abrupt HBO Max Pandemic Pivot: The Deadline Q&A

John Lee Hancock On A 30 Year Odyssey Making 'The Little Things' With Denzel Washington, Rami Malek & Jared Leto, And An Abrupt HBO Max Pivot
www.indiewire.com

Legendary’s Fight Against Warner Bros. Could Save ‘Dune’ from HBO Max — Report

Denis Villeneuve is strongly against Warner Bros. shifting "Dune" to HBO Max.

Battles big and small are being fought on numerous films: Legendary is in a big fight that might result in lawsuits after it financed 75% of tent poles Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong and was completely blindsided. Rumors have the solution to that breach being to preserve Dune as a traditional theatrical to preserve its franchise potential and since its October 1 release date falls well after the estimated late spring date when Covid vaccines should achieve herd immunity.

No direct sourcing so far so this seems to be firmly in the rumor camp.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if the vaccine timing news gets them to re-consider day 1 streaming since theaters might be viable in the second half of the year.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What about people? Move Dune to 2022 if you want to keep it in theaters responsibly.

In the mean time.. I watched TENET with no problems and had no issue paying $20 for watching it, despite not thinking very highly of it.

Well, I assume this was planned for release at the end of 2021 yes? Most of the population should be inoculated at that point.

If it's earlier than that, I agree. Too soon.

I'm just glad that big movies aren't going to die on the vine. Because I don't see how they're viable on streaming platforms if that's all that's left.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no exec, but if you have a money maker... why not just sit on it? For when it's safer.

As someone who put a lot of time and effort into making a dedicated theatre room... release it online lol. Tired of dealing with idiots on their phones and people who talk.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
This makes me think the talk with Legendary/Dune's production team/talent didn't go well and now WB is realizing that making a decision before working out the details is going to cost them a lot of money.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pandemic or not Dune wasn't going to do numbers anyway. So might as well.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Greedy fucks all of sudden realize they aren't shit without their talent, can't believe they didn't inform everyone beforehand just out of basic respect like they did with the ww84 team.

but yeh dune probably still bombs either way sadly

and the slippery slope begins, get ready for Godzilla Kong and maybe suicide squad to be pulled as well unless wb do something to appease them

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ, we should know by summer time if everything is getting better and under control. They need to stop being so reactionary.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Man...they really fucked up on this one.
Now they have to backtrack on what they advertised?
Can't WB also get sued for false advertising too?

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I think even that is wishful thinking.

Agreed. It depends wholly on how well the vaccine rollout goes and if no mutations occur. I said at least because in my opinion Christmas 2022 is a better option. I'm also onboard with an HBO MAX release, but I know for a fact Mulan was up on torrent sites in 4k HDR Day 1. I think the level of piracy that would invite would really take a chunk out of this new Dune franchise and we may never get another.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
it going to hbo max would have meant people outside america would just pirate it day one and not have to deal with shitty cam quality.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Disappointing but unsurprising.

I just don't have faith in this thing cracking more than about $300m worldwide (and that's probably a stretch).