ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Renata Price from Waypoint reports:

1654628033897-gettyimages-1234074950.jpeg

A lawyer for the Department of Justice told a judge that the man sentenced to pay $4.5 million to Nintendo in a piracy case would be resigned to a "socially isolated and financially destitute" life.
Gary Bowser was treated by some as a funny headline, because a man named Bowser worked with the most prominent Nintendo Switch piracy crew and ultimately became the defendant in a criminal case. However, the reality of his case, and of his 40 month sentence, is anything but. A newly released court transcript, first reported by Axios, shows that Nintendo and the DOJ sought to harshly punish Bowser to make an "example" of him and an unwilling symbol of our punitive, carceral approach to piracy.

The recently released court transcripts paint an unflattering picture of Nintendo of America as insecure and unnecessarily punitive. Patel goes as far as to acknowledge the fact that they are not only inflicting a three year prison sentence upon him, but that following his release, "he will be socially isolated and financially destitute." A situation that the DOJ admits is "very similar to [his situation] when he initially was introduced to Team Xecuter."

More at the link.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
It would be nice if the DOJ go after white-collar criminals with such fervor once in a while.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
its a really fucked up story, iirc its just a dude living I think in the Dominican Republic who was hired by some pirate fuckwits to do some shit, they barely paid him but because his name was over everything Nintendo went in hard against him.

iirc the court documents showed Bowser made only $320k over 7 years while the other people involved made $20m+ but most just vanished after the lawsuits started going out

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's usually how it works. Instead of trying to get everyone you go all in on the one you 'caught'.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Extremely gross from Nintendo, this won't do anything for them and just ruin someone's life.

Capitalism yo.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This seems cruel. Can't Nintendo "make an example" without completely destroying a person's life?

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Read this earlier. They really fucked that dude up physically, emotionally & financially.

Really messed up, even more so knowing he was only the front man and not the one doing the hacking.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I mean I won't feel too bad for the guy given he made millions off of illegal shit, but its definitely harsh

edit: no need to keep quoting me, I already corrected myself in a later post, was misinformed

Last edited:

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Then yeah its definitely too harsh, I thought he made way more. R4 really got to Nintendo in terms of mass scale piracy

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Sending a message by imprisoning and destroy the life of a hacker, while the DOJ refuses to prosecute people who tried to do a coup and hang people.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
"Ajay Singh, Nintendo of America's representative, lamented the idea that parents will "be forced to explain to their children why people cheat and why sometimes games are not fair just because one person wants an unfair advantage." Singh goes on to claim that this case, and any future cases attacking piracy, will work to protect the broader gaming "community," in which smaller developers operate on "slim margins."

To hide behind this rhetoric is extremely cowardly for a multi-billion dollar company.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Then yeah its definitely too harsh, I thought he made way more. R4 really got to Nintendo in terms of mass scale piracy
really got to them by selling boatloads of hardware and software. same with the wii, which sold crazy hardware and software, and was even easier to pirate than DS lmao

like the idea that they look at piracy as some boogeyman after the debacle of the n64/gamecube in comparison is hilarious to me

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
So glad Nintendo could teach me right from wrong.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
So hell collectively rains down on one person since the bigger players all got away? Fucked up.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
This is Aaron Swartz happening again, to refresh to everyone that the legal system exists to serve and protect the economic power and the elites first and foremost.

Really, really gross shit from Nintendo. Not at all unexpected, though, they're the worst when it comes to litigiousness.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Look at how completely devastated nintendo is right now thanks to his heinous actions. It's only fair that they destroy this mans life in return. If anything i think justice was too lax, why are his parents, friends and everyone he crossed once on the streets getting away scotfree? Should destroy Dominican Republic while youre at it too, he lived there, the entire country is tainted.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
Really starting to hate Nintendo of America. First there was that contractor fiasco in April, now there's this? Fucking hell.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they tried to frame this verdict as "finally coming down on white collar criminals" is so fucking infuriating.