ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC only people born after the 2nd impact can pilot Eva. that's why they're 14.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
also still have no clue why only a bunch of 14 year olds can pilot the eva's?
They need to be born after the 2nd impact
and also
have a compatible soul in the Eva, like Shinji's and Asuka's mothers in Eva-01/02.
Either way, the point is that they needed to use kids as pilots.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
From a narrative perspective, they continuously point out that they are traumatizing children by making them do this. It's what the plot entails. There are constant fights among the adults as to whether this is ethical or not. The children, meanwhile, are all coming to terms in their own ways as to how they are going to accept this. One wants to be an adult, one just wants to please people, and the other is doing it as a form of communicating with their estranged parent. Mix in the fact that teenage emotions are what give the story almost all of its psychological horror, it makes sense that sexuality would also come in to play as these kids are going through puberty and that's part of their chaotic emotions.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
End of Evangelion is amazing. The Rebuild movies I'm a little annoyed with. The last one in particular borders on self-parody, it feels like they learned some bad lessons from the production of the original series.

The recent Netflix re-release of the TV series contains the original next episode preview from episode 24, which was previously omitted from home video, and as a rough animatic beat-for-beat resembling the first half of EoE it pretty much confirms this story.

I believe that preview was made for the director's cut episodes on VHS which came out after the movie.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
End of Evangelion is amazing. The Rebuild movies I'm a little annoyed with. The last one in particular borders on self-parody, it feels like they learned some bad lessons from the production of the original series.

I believe that preview was made for the director's cut episodes on VHS which came out after the movie.

It was but there are early scripts that basically confirm those scenes were storyboarded and intended for the finale two episodes before being scrapped due to time constraints.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love Evangelion so much I even have a few genga from the show

qLPwzGk.jpg

There's kind of a thing in anime/manga I've noticed of pairing two characters who act as foil for one another: one who succeeds by being brash and forceful, the other succeeds by being passive and adaptive. They're usually color coded red and blue, respectively. The former pushes against resistance, the latter flows with it. Often they are associated with symbols like angry land animals for the former, and then water or fish for the latter. There's Mugen and Jin, Jet and Spike, and I've always liked how Evangelion has two of these sets - Misato and Ritsuko, AND Asuka and Rei.

Edit: I totally didn't know this existed as an entry on TV Tropes, but of course it does: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedOniBlueOni

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
So yeah been on an Anime classics kick as of late now that a lot of them are on netflix here and its fast and easy to watch after work.
So after Black Lagon and Trigun.

p451029_b_h9_aa.jpg

Neon was up next.... OW BOY where to even start.

I just could not get over the fact that it has so much sexual tension / almost hentai and with kids just not ok seriously...... not cool.
Some eps felt like I was put on a list of some kind just by watching it.
I can't be the only one right?
Also the insane pressure on these kids (yeah yeah I know its just an anime made up story) is completely unrealistic also still have no clue why only a bunch of 14 year olds can pilot the eva's?

Setting and the setup of the story was very confusing and did not help at all that a lot of major explanation of what some of the fundamental terms and institutions and characters are explained in like ep 16 and in the first 16 eps you just had to guess well I think this means this and just hope you got it correctly.
But setup it self was simple enough to understand and was well done but did not help the show to explain so much so late in the series.
Sure gets the show going but I can also see how it confuses folks maybe even to the point of giving up on it.

Show itself was awesome really enjoyed the animation and the story lines, it had humor like pen pen was great! :D
The fighting though brief most times was well done and the creature designs most of the time made no sense but they were awesome and well done.
Design of the Eva's were awesome and loved the crazy city contraptions of going underground and the insane size of the Nerv HQ underground with the amount of space they needed for Eva's and all of the people working there.

Best part of the show as all the strong woman and female leads in position of power and people actually listened to them and they could "save the day" on their own and had lives of their own outside of work (not a lot of it) but that was also part of the story that ouside of work most of the main characters don't have anything in their lives.
Shinji was alright bit of a drag at times but mostly just typical anime trope teenage male.
Misato was offc the best but I guess that is not new to anyone who has been a fan of the show for a lot longer I assume.

And offc that ending, been hearing about that ending for like 20 years now.
And yes as far as I'm concerned ep 25 and 26 are a favor dream that the animation team had after doing a lot of drugs I assume.
Felt like some a '90s cartoon of what a "head shrink" was suppose to be.
Did not hate it or anything just freaking weird as well hell.
Loved the "modern life" bit that was cute and well done and you can clearly see that the entire budget of ep 25/26 went into that part.

Also yeah even though I know MGS inside out I know understand it even more and wow Kojima has no shame does he? Lifted entire parts right out :D

So I have checked the wiki and there is more but its VERY confusing what I should watch next and more is coming?
Honestly read the wiki about what comes next twice and still could not make any sense of it.

Next up what ever is left of this series and then Akira
Fun fact:
In its original airing in Japan, it took up the timeslot of the Japanese dub of the 80s TMNT cartoon, every Wednesday's 6:30pm on TV Tokyo. Evangelion was treated as a kiddy show the same way as TMNT.

Watch EoE. You're not done yet.

Haha. Fresh meat.

Watch End of Evangelion and return to us, sweet innocent child.

Watch EoE, take two months off, then please consider watching the Rebuild movies.

This.

The first time I watched the series I had no idea EoE was a thing and I was left scratching my head after watching the finale, lmao. A quick Google search to find out WTF I just saw led me to the actual ending.
Fun fact:
All the EVA movies, including the End of Evangelion have a G-rating on Japan, so children were free to watch this on cinemas unsupervised.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
It was but there are early scripts that basically confirm those scenes were storyboarded and intended for the finale two episodes before being scrapped due to time constraints.
I'm aware that the movie was based on an earlier script for episode 25 that was ultimately scrapped, but I'm not aware that it's been made public. I have read an early script for episode 24 though, which was quite interesting.

The preview lunarworks is talking about contains animatics that are identical to scenes in the movie, notably the battle between Unit-2 and the Eva Series. That doesn't check out to me given the gulf in animation quality and the fact that they had all the Evas redesigned. That makes sense in a stand alone production like a movie, not in a weekly TV series.

Hob

Sep 3, 2019
Great documentary on Anno the creator of NGE on Amazon prime you should also watch.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Fun fact:
In its original airing in Japan, it took up the timeslot of the Japanese dub of the 80s TMNT cartoon, every Wednesday's 6:30pm on TV Tokyo. Evangelion was treated as a kiddy show the same way as TMNT.

Fun fact:
All the EVA movies, including the End of Evangelion have a G-rating on Japan, so children were free to watch this on cinemas unsupervised.

JFC.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I had mixed feelings on the Rebuild movies after I got done watching them a couple months ago. Don't really want to delve too much into spoilers for OP, but I liked some parts, hated others, and thought some bits were just plain stupid. I'm glad I actually watched them, but I don't think I'll ever revisit them.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I'm aware that the movie was based on an earlier script for episode 25 that was ultimately scrapped, but I'm not aware that it's been made public. I have read an early script for episode 24 though, which was quite interesting.

The preview lunarworks is talking about contains animatics that are identical to scenes in the movie, notably the battle between Unit-2 and the Eva Series. That doesn't check out to me given the gulf in animation quality and the fact that they had all the Evas redesigned. That makes sense in a stand alone production like a movie, not in a weekly TV series.
Yep, scripts for 25 and 26 are out there, they're pretty similar to EoE though and definitely aren't as intriguing as the early ep 24 drafts.

Also you are right, my apologies. For some reason, my brain went animatic=storyboard and I was thinking about those storyboards of Ritsuko's body in the water and Misato slumped on the ground after being shot that are in the preview. I thought those were also only in the DC but I haven't seen the originals in so long, I could be totally wrong.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Fun fact:
Apparently happened here in the UK, when mainstream channels were desperate to jump on the Pokémon bandwagon. They tried to edit it to be kid-friendly and shove it into a Sunday morning block, or something? It was off air even quicker than Sailor Moon (whose butchered dub we had to edit even more to make it acceptable!)...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
End of Eva is still stuck in my mind space. Its certainly memorable.
What other end of series productions were even comparable to that one?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Tried watching it myself a while back and thought it was awful and boring. No idea why everyone is so fucking obsessed with it.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought 25/26 and EOE are the same events viewed in different perspectives just like some ppl earlier in this thread suggested

all 3 endings (TV, EOE, Rebuilds) are excellent

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
so is there some pretty horny stuff with 14 year olds in this show?
Well there's some stuff that is more of a look at the awkwardness as you're trying to parse sexuality at that age... and there's stuff that's "look at this hot 14 year old."
I had mixed feelings on the Rebuild movies after I got done watching them a couple months ago. Don't really want to delve too much into spoilers for OP, but I liked some parts, hated others, and thought some bits were just plain stupid. I'm glad I actually watched them, but I don't think I'll ever revisit them.
I barely remember anything besides liking Part 3 and absolutely hating part 4.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Great documentary on Anno the creator of NGE on Amazon prime you should also watch.
Yeah it's great.
You should only watch it after finishing the Rebuild movies though because it's mostly about the making of the last movie so there are some spoilery footages in there.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it gives great insight into just directing in general and how obsessive someone like anno can be. You can tell that last movie was a real real struggle for him and his team, it probably explains why the fourth rebuild is such a Frankensteins monster of a movie.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The ending of the series, with or without the movies, is why I like the Rebuilds better.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Can't in good conscience recommend rebuild 3 and 4 due to how they massacre Misato's character

i mean watch them all to get the complete Evangelion experience, but I consider them a misstep overall (farmer Rei is good)

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
iono OP i think EoE might be an ignorance is bliss kind of situation

lol
There's kind of a thing in anime/manga I've noticed of pairing two characters who act as foil for one another: one who succeeds by being brash and forceful, the other succeeds by being passive and adaptive. They're usually color coded red and blue, respectively. The former pushes against resistance, the latter flows with it. Often they are associated with symbols like angry land animals for the former, and then water or fish for the latter. There's Mugen and Jin, Jet and Spike, and I've always liked how Evangelion has two of these sets - Misato and Ritsuko, AND Asuka and Rei.

Edit: I totally didn't know this existed as an entry on TV Tropes, but of course it does: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedOniBlueOni

whoa blowing my mind.

like literally every anime lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yes, the sexualization in the original Evangelion is pretty rampant (each episode ends with a naked Rei spinning), and people will deny it just because the Rebuilds are worse about it.

I hated the first 3 Rebuilds but loved the 4th one and liked it more as a finale to the Evangelion saga than the TV show or EOE. Dunno what that says about me.

Space Runaway Ideon's ending movie Be Invoked was basically EOE before EOE.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
With all the old theories about what happened with the last two episodes, I love the actual events that led to them:

- Gainax was in crunch mode and hand-delivered episode 24 to the network twenty minutes before airtime (this is why there was a whole minute of one frame of animation)
- The network put the tape right in the deck and aired it nationally sight-unseen
- The network said "What the fuck did we just watch?" (a teenage boy getting decapitated), and called Gainax in the next day to show them a work-in-progress rough cut/animatic of the next episode
- The episode was essentially the first half of EoE, complete with that Asuka battle, and the network said "Absolutely fucking not."
- Ganiax had six days to put a new ending together from scratch, using clips from the cutting room floor to augment whatever they could animate in time

The recent Netflix re-release of the TV series contains the original next episode preview from episode 24, which was previously omitted from home video, and as a rough animatic beat-for-beat resembling the first half of EoE it pretty much confirms this story.
Perhaps there were major sequences that were intended to air as part of that finale, or intrinsic truths to how Anno's staff saw the show ending. But there are too many points that just don't gel without those same sequences being tinkered, reworked, or adjusted for the movie to match with it's far bleaker, far more nihilistic and self-destructive tone. As if there were extended runs of shots that they felt committed to (I'm gonna say the ones that were already in-progress or most expensive...), but looked to where they could add beats to make it just the ugliest version of itself.

There's a lot of deeply dark moments in the show, almost to the point of abject comedy, but EoE extends it to feeling outright sickeningly cruel. Shinji's final moment in the show is just so at-odds with what feels like a satirical play on expectations you get in the first half of EoE.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
Yes, the sexualization in the original Evangelion is pretty rampant (each episode ends with a naked Rei spinning), and people will deny it just because the Rebuilds are worse about it.

I hated the first 3 Rebuilds but loved the 4th one and liked it more as a finale to the Evangelion saga than the TV show or EOE. Dunno what that says about me.

Space Runaway Ideon's ending movie Be Invoked was basically EOE before EOE.
Ideon's having a hell of a week on Era. These past few days is probably the most Google searches of Ideon people have made.

Dr Zhivago

Oct 27, 2017
Battlestar Potemkin
This might be from supplemental materials, like one of the games, but I think the idea was that kids older than 14 are more independent and less reliant on their mothers, so they can't sync with the Evas.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Thanks for all the nice replies and responses everyone really did help a lot can't wait to check out EoE now and the rest of those movies :D
Let us know how you like it!!! I watched the show and EOE for the first time finally a few years ago. What an experience.

Just prep yourself, I think the movie is EOE is good but its a LOT.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't in good conscience recommend rebuild 3 and 4 due to how they massacre Misato's character

i mean watch them all to get the complete Evangelion experience, but I consider them a misstep overall (farmer Rei is good)

naah

not doing her a pedophile is not a massacre of character

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017

Devilman crybaby fucked me up pretty hard but that's probably because it's my first and only point of reference to the series. PLUS I never knew until recently that devilman actually inspired some of evangelion

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
so is there some pretty horny stuff with 14 year olds in this show?

tbh I wouldn't call it 'horny' at all cuz of the contexts that the sexual stuff happens in. I feel like horny implies that it could be enjoyable but it's basically all extremely awkward and inappropriate and sometimes awful.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the world of super robots where children piloting murder suits is all the rage.

I highly recommend Fafner as a follow-up if you can tolerate a slow burn and want more characters and impactful character deaths.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Apparently happened here in the UK, when mainstream channels were desperate to jump on the Pokémon bandwagon. They tried to edit it to be kid-friendly and shove it into a Sunday morning block, or something? It was off air even quicker than Sailor Moon (whose butchered dub we had to edit even more to make it acceptable!)...

They did the same in mainland China before anime was completed banned from primetime TV. They changed the evangelion/angel name to downplay the religious theme, cut some plots, and renamed title song "cruel angel" to "beautiful angel" to make it seem more upbeat. But somehow, the last two episodes remain mostly intact. It got so much complaints from both parents and anime fans that it never had reruns before China stopped showing animes on TV all together.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
In Japan, Pokemon had nearly the same timeslot as Evangelion on the same channel.

Eva was Wednesday's 6:30pm on TV Tokyo
Pokemon was Tuesday's 6:30pm on TV Tokyo
EUm_LpPXsAY1rOg

images

Mind you these are the original broadcast versions of each so more or less, it was deemed acceptable for Children for airing, but that's why there were tons of angry phone calls from Japanese parents.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it when it hit NF years ago and I really don't need to see more. Good music, okay ideas and really weird ending aside, it has way too much sexualization of kids for me to support it by watching more even if the stuff after dropped all of it.

Like I get that they were going for themes and stuff but I just can't stand it

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing people describe Eva as "horny" but I do not recall it as such. I haven't seen it since I was 16 though. Is it really that bad, particularly compared to anime these days?

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing people describe Eva as "horny" but I do not recall it as such. I haven't seen it since I was 16 though. Is it really that bad, particularly compared to anime these days?

Depends what you are comparing it too I guess but it's always had an element of it. In the OG series at least there was usually a context for it.
The rebuild movies take it a whole other level though, especially the last one

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what you are comparing it too I guess but it's always had an element of it. In the OG series at least there was usually a context for it.
The rebuild movies take it a whole other level though, especially the last one

To me bad is something like High School DxD, which I can't even justify watching.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's not horny in a way you'd describe most popular anime. Like the whole medium has so much tossed-off objectifying fan-service that, in the most charitable framing, is intended to be played off as "fun", ignoring any critique around the male gaze and anime. But Shinji ain't getting a nosebleed that's only missing a laugh track. His relationship to women and sexuality is so apprehensive and yet all-encompassing, like every interaction becomes a source of trauma for him.

It's moreso horny in a way that feels pretty uncomfortable and leery... sometimes intentionally? Like the cliche "guy falls into girl's chest" bullshit happens here, and instead if the sadly expected "bo-ing" sound cue, it's a cold, awkward, deeply unsettling experience in a featureless dark room beside a waste bin filled with bloody bandages, ontop of a girl completely devoid of a reaction that her aloofness makes this feel even more perverse. Again, the camera gets leery in some overt and gross ways, lampshading how it's interested in Shinji's sexual repression and discomfort with women, but occasionally it gets ugly in a way that does feel... appropriate. Again, sometimes.

But End of Evangelion, right out the bat, explicitly cuts to the core of how much Shinji skirts up against being an incel-like "nice guy" and completely dives over that fence and embraces him being a shitty, ineffectual, hateful pathetic little worm of a person. It's worth reiterating how much End of Eva is a pretty explicit "fuck you" to elements of the fandom and the entitled otaku culture in-general.

Last edited: