• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't want to clip quotes because you need to read the whole thing. And props to the post for doing this.
I'll post the opening
President Donald Trump's assault on American democracy began in the spring of 2020, when he issued a flurry of preemptive attacks on the integrity of the country's voting systems. The doubts he cultivated ultimately led to a rampage inside the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, when a pro-Trump mob came within seconds of encountering Vice President Mike Pence, trapped lawmakers and vandalized the home of Congress in the worst desecration of the complex since British forces burned it in 1814. Five people died in the Jan. 6 attack or in the immediate aftermath, and 140 police officers were assaulted.

The consequences of that day are still coming into focus, but what is already clear is that the insurrection was not a spontaneous act nor an isolated event. It was a battle in a broader war over the truth and over the future of American democracy.

Since then, the forces behind the attack remain potent and growing. Trump emerged emboldened, fortifying his hold on the Republican Party, sustaining his election-fraud lie and driving demands for more restrictive voting laws and investigations of the 2020 results, even though they have been repeatedly affirmed by ballot reviews and the courts. A deep distrust in the voting process has spread across the country, shaking the foundation on which the American experiment was built — the shared belief that the nation's leaders are freely and fairly elected.

Look at the byline!!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And this is why misinformation spreads so rapidly. Articles like this are completely paywalled.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The byline is the size of a goddamn masthead

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
This just looks like another summary of events. No new news that can effect any change.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here is some of it.

Key findings of The
Post's Jan. 6 investigation

Before the attack

Law enforcement officials did not respond with urgency to a cascade of warnings about violence on Jan. 6

• Alerts were raised by local officials, FBI informants, social media companies, former national security officials, researchers, lawmakers and tipsters.
  • The FBI received numerous warnings about Jan. 6 but felt many of the threatening statements were "aspirational" and could not be pursued. In one tip on Dec. 20, a caller told the bureau that Trump supporters were making plans online for violence against lawmakers in Washington, including a threat against Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah). The agency concluded the information did not merit further investigation and closed the case within 48 hours.
  • One of the biggest efforts to come out of Sept. 11, 2001 — a national network of multi-agency intelligence centers — spotted a flood of Jan. 6 warnings, but federal agencies did not show much interest in its information.
  • The FBI limited its own understanding of how extremists were mobilizing when it switched its social media monitoring service on the last weekend of 2020.

Pentagon leaders had acute fears about widespread violence, and some feared Trump could misuse the National Guard to remain in power

• Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy was left rattled by Trump's firing of senior Pentagon officials just after the election and sought to put guardrails on deployment of the National Guard.
  • Then-acting defense secretary Christopher C. Miller did not believe Trump would misuse the military but worried that far-right extremists could bait soldiers into "a Boston Massacre-type situation." Their fears contributed to a fateful decision to keep soldiers away from the Capitol on Jan. 6.

The Capitol Police was disorganized and unprepared

• The U.S. Capitol Police had been tracking threatening social media posts for weeks but was hampered by poor communication and planning.
  • The department's new head of intelligence concluded on Jan. 3 that Trump supporters had grown desperate to overturn the election and "Congress itself" would be the target. But then-Chief Steven Sund did not have that information when he initiated a last-minute request to bring in National Guard soldiers, one that was swiftly rejected.

Trump's election lies radicalized his supporters in real time

• As the president exerted pressure on state officials, the Justice Department and his vice president to overturn the results, his public attacks on the vote mobilized his supporters to immediately plot violent acts — discussions that researchers watched unfold online.

During the attack

Escalating danger signs were in full view hours before the Capitol attack but did not trigger a stepped-up security response

• Hundreds of Trump supporters clashed with police at the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial on the morning of Jan. 6, some with shields and gas masks, presaging the violence to come.
  • D.C. homeland security employees spotted piles of backpacks left by rallygoers outside the area where the president would speak — a phenomenon the agency had warned a week earlier could be a sign of concealed weapons.

Trump had direct warnings of the risks but stood by for 187 minutes before telling his supporters to go home

• For more than three hours, the president resisted entreaties from House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, other Republican lawmakers and numerous White House advisers to urge the mob to disperse, a delay that contributed to harrowing acts of violence.

His allies pressured Pence to reject the election results even after the Capitol siege

• John C. Eastman, an attorney advising Trump, emailed Pence's lawyer as a shaken Congress was reconvening to argue that the vice president should still reject electors from Arizona and other states.
  • Earlier in the day, while the vice president, his family and aides were hiding from the rioters, Eastman emailed Pence's lawyer to blame the violence on Pence's refusal to block certification of Biden's victory.

The FBI was forced to improvise a plan to help take back control of the Capitol

• After the breach, the bureau deployed three tactical teams that were positioned nearby, but they were small, specialized teams and did not bring overwhelming manpower.
  • As the riot escalated, acting attorney general Jeffrey Rosen scrambled to keep up with the deluge of calls from senior government officials and desperate lawmakers.
  • Senior Justice Department officials were so uncertain of what was occurring based on chaotic television images that Rosen's top deputy, Richard Donoghue, went to the Capitol in person to coordinate with lawmakers and law enforcement agencies.

After the attack

Republican efforts to undermine the 2020 election restarted immediately after the Capitol attack

• Eight days after the violence, state Republicans privately discussed their intention to force a review of ballots cast in Maricopa County, Ariz., setting in motion a chaotic process that further sowed doubt in the results and a wave of similar partisan investigations in other states.

False election claims by Trump that spurred the Capitol attack have become a driving force in the Republican Party

• Nearly a third of the 390 GOP candidates around the country who have expressed interest in running for statewide office this cycle have publicly supported a partisan audit of the 2020 vote, downplayed the Jan. 6 attack or directly questioned Biden's victory.
  • They include 10 candidates running for secretary of state, a position with sway over elections in many states.

Trump's attacks have led to escalating threats of violence

• Election officials in at least 17 states have collectively received hundreds of threats to their personal safety or their lives since Jan. 6, with a concentration in the six states where Trump has focused his attacks on the election results.
  • Ominous emails and calls have spiked immediately after the former president and his allies raised new claims.

First responders are struggling with deep trauma

• Those who tried to protect the Capitol are contending with serious physical injuries, nightmares and intense anxiety. "Normal is gone," said one Capitol Police commander.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At the same time, reporters don't work for free. Unfortunately, the internet has made everyone expect free everything.

I think the problem here is that informative pieces like this NEED to be available to the public, but aren't, while conservative claptrap is available EVERYWHERE for nothing.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"The FBI received numerous warnings about Jan. 6 but felt many of the threatening statements were "aspirational" and could not be pursued."

It'll be fiiineee. They're white!

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the summary.

Based on this, I don't really see how this is a blockbuster story. It's more specifics about what we already knew: Trump was stoking this fire up to and during the insurrection, and multiple systems of protection and intelligence failed to stop this telegraphed attack.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the summary.

Based on this, I don't really see how this is a blockbuster story. It's more specifics about what we already knew: Trump was stoking this fire up to and during the insurrection, and multiple systems of protection and intelligence failed to stop this telegraphed attack.
I didn't realize it was locked (subscriber) but it gets deep in the weeds and very good reporting

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
www.currentaffairs.org

The Truth Is Paywalled But The Lies Are Free ❧ Current Affairs

<p>The political economy of bullshit.</p>

But let us also notice something: the New York Times, the New Yorker, the Washington Post, the New Republic, New York, Harper's, the New York Review of Books, the Financial Times, and the London Times all have paywalls. Breitbart, Fox News, the Daily Wire, the Federalist, the Washington Examiner, InfoWars: free! You want "Portland Protesters Burn Bibles, American Flags In The Streets," "The Moral Case Against Mask Mandates And Other COVID Restrictions," or an article suggesting the National Institutes of Health has admitted 5G phones cause coronavirus—they're yours. You want the detailed Times reports on neo-Nazis infiltrating German institutions, the reasons contact tracing is failing in U.S. states, or the Trump administration's undercutting of the USPS's effectiveness—well, if you've clicked around the website a bit you'll run straight into the paywall. This doesn't mean the paywall shouldn't be there. But it does mean that it costs time and money to access a lot of true and important information, while a lot of bullshit is completely free.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I read it and there doesn't seem to be much new besides the fact that officials received numerous warnings, messages, etc., from across the information spectrum that something was going happen on Jan 6th WEEKS prior and chose not to do anything due to incompetence and/or miscommunication.

Though, it was interesting to find out that one of the reasons the national guard wasn't deployed IMMEDIATLY was because Christopher C. Miller wanted to avoid a "Boston Massacre"-type situation if Trump supporters decided to bait them into a conflict.

Sep 6, 2020
I don't see a byline at all? Front page only says "Washington Post staff" and it must be staring me in the face in the article itself...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But also people should support good reporting monetarily.

I'd rather read something and make a donation later than pay money up front just to see if it's worth my time, honestly.

Again, the problem here is that ACCESS to vital information is being locked behind paywalls while stuff that literally destroys democracy is available to everyone for free for very little effort.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The number of layoffs in the news industry over the last decade indicates otherwise.

And yet Fox News, Breitbart and all the right-wing news sources seem to be doing fine. We all know there are blatant problems with the way journalism functions in the country, but realistically information like this needs to be available to the public. If fascists are giving lies away for free, the only way to counter that is giving the truth away for free as well.

Like if I read an article, I don't want to tell my friends "hey I read this really great article yeah yeah you gotta pay ten bucks to read it too though" - I want them to be able to see it immediately. These barriers are preventing critical information from reaching the public.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, paywall kills this in its sleep. Imagine trying to get this to people who don't already think this was serious.

Meanwhile, fake news is free. People should absolutely get paid for their work. At the same time, think of it like food - healthy food is inaccessible and expensive while fast food is easily available.

What happens? People eat fast food more.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And yet Fox News, Breitbart and all the right-wing news sources seem to be doing fine. We all know there are blatant problems with the way journalism functions in the country, but realistically information like this needs to be available to the public. If fascists are giving lies away for free, the only way to counter that is giving the truth away for free as well.

Like if I read an article, I don't want to tell my friends "hey I read this really great article yeah yeah you gotta pay ten bucks to read it too though" - I want them to be able to see it immediately. These barriers are preventing critical information from reaching the public.
While I agree, places like this need money to function and make the reporting happen in the first place. The information becomes free/accessible as other outlets report on the reporting. I.e., interviews on NPR and the like.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Do the people justifying hiding critically important news stories behind paywalls also accept cable news channels focusing on ratings over everything else, since they need to pay their reporters and anchors using ad revenue? Or is that different somehow.

To clarify, I don't have an issue with newspapers hiding articles behind paywalls, but exceptions should be made for things that are of the highest importance to the public (such as this, and major news about COVID)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, paywall kills this in its sleep. Imagine trying to get this to people who don't already think this was serious.

Meanwhile, fake news is free. People should absolutely get paid for their work. At the same time, think of it like food - healthy food is inaccessible and expensive while fast food is easily available.

What happens? People eat fast food more.
That is an interesting analogy, since we wouldn't blame healthy food producers for high prices, for that we need policy change to subsidize healthier food.
And yet, you really wouldn't want the government getting involved in journalism so it's quite a tough situation. Not sure what the solution is

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017

Like if I read an article, I don't want to tell my friends "hey I read this really great article yeah yeah you gotta pay ten bucks to read it too though" - I want them to be able to see it immediately.
You're just not engaging with the literal reality at play here, which is that it doesn't matter what you think "needs" to happen if the macroeconomic preconditions make it infeasible. You're appealing to a philosophical principle of necessity that you hold as a consumer and acting like that's sufficient to overcome the bottom line for the producer, but ain't nobody in accounting cares about that.

News costs money to product, lies don't. Find a way to fix that inequality and you'll solve the problem. But saying they should model their business as if it doesn't cost money anyway is just delusional.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're just not engaging with the literal reality at play here, which is that it doesn't matter what you think "needs" to happen if the macroeconomic preconditions make it infeasible. You're appealing to a philosophical principle of necessity that you hold as a consumer and acting like that's sufficient to overcome the bottom line for the producer, but ain't nobody in accounting cares about that.

News costs money to product, lies don't. Find a way to fix that inequality and you'll solve the problem. But saying they should model their business as if it doesn't cost money anyway is just delusional.

Have fun having nobody read this article, then, while more right-wing lies weaken the impact of the ATTEMPTED COUP.

Because that is what's happening. We're almost a year out from the coup now and nobody gives a shit, because information that would actually help people understand it dies behind paywalls.

WaPo is owned by Jeff Bezos, i think they'll be ok

Also this. Bezos can spare some money to keep the news running.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is an interesting analogy, since we wouldn't blame healthy food producers for high prices, for that we need policy change to subsidize healthier food.
And yet, you really wouldn't want the government getting involved in journalism so it's quite a tough situation. Not sure what the solution is

Right. That's a big difficulty. You could say that something like blanket UBI would allow people to do this kind of work without starving, but that's bare minimum.

Other than that, you'd have to rely on something like donations.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
No offense to you OP, but most of the info in this article has already been publicized. Here's the gist

-Trump and the GOP's election lies caused the riot
-Trump aggravated the mob during his speech
-Multiple government departments warned of the danger
-Capital Police were not prepared at all
-Several rioters seemed to have intimate knowledge of the building
-After the attack, many GOP politicians still continued spreading lies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Do the people justifying hiding critically important news stories behind paywalls also accept cable news channels focusing on ratings over everything else, since they need to pay their reporters and anchors using ad revenue? Or is that different somehow.

People deserve a living wage and different companies take different approaches to paying their employees. If Fox and CNN make money by publishing shit alarmist news stories, then whatever, I get no value from them so I won't watch. If WaPo, WSJ, NYT, etc pay salaries through pay walls, I find a lot of value from their reporting so I'll pay (at least NYT & WaPo). The real disconnect with paying for news is people have gotten used to getting news without paying, or with paying via alternative methods (shit ads, selling your privacy, etc) and so when good reporters ask for money for good work many people feel righteously indignant that they're being asked to pay money for something, when they'd prefer the reporter, editor, copywriter, etc work for free.

For what it's worth, this article is good, but it's not critically important imo. Most of the information I've read is reported elsewhere, but this has been collected in a visually appealing way and is very comprehensive. But as best I can tell there's no fresh details of reporting that I haven't seen elsewhere.