• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
If Beto runs, he will be the next president.

All the skeptics just need to go back and look at all the enthusiasm he had for his candidacy. He will be the next Obama.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he considers. But will understand if he declines.

I'm really hating typing performance on this new interface.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Beto here in Texas and was excited for him but I agree. Dude is too "centrist" to be on the national ticket. Bank deregulation and more. Dude is like Obama 2.0 and we need someone more aggressive and liberal than that.
He's kind of a standard Dem — was a nondescript lawmaker in Congress, so it's hard to ascribe ANY ideology to him since he ran a largely non ideological campaign.

There's value in that — campaigns that make people feel like they're in a "movement" are very powerful (see: Obama, Trump) and often override any actual ideology.

I'm not really sure about Beto from an ideological POV because so much of how he ran his Senate campaign eschewed policy and ideology. That's not possible on a national stage so I'm sort of taking a wait and see approach. But I wouldn't really call him especially "centrist" based on his little time in Congress.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I voted for Beto here in Texas and was excited for him but I agree. Dude is too "centrist" to be on the national ticket. Bank deregulation and more. Dude is like Obama 2.0 and we need someone more aggressive and liberal than that.
I voted for Sema in the primary but I def drummed up support for Beto at work. Truly wish he woulda won. Definitely helped turn out the vote in Texas for damn sure and did a lot of help in down ballot races.

Really wish he'd run again John Cornyn's seat.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Screw that. Purity testing will lead to a second Trump term.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish he would just stay in Texas and do good here instead of throwing his hat into the national ring. It's a huge shame that a lot of liberals are forgetting the lessons of the past decade. We lost so many state and local seats which is where the real action is.
In a statewide race, Trump is easier to beat than Cornyn, and when you look at where the marginal battleground races likely are in 2020 if it's Beto in the top position (Assuming you flip MI/PA easily, you need 1 of AZ, NC, WI, TX, FL to win with IA also on the map) it's really hard to not go for it because he could legit do it, and he's shown that he has the campaign management skills on the level that's required for a Pres run.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope him running doesn't scare off Tulsi Gabbard

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's kind of a standard Dem — was a nondescript lawmaker in Congress, so it's hard to ascribe ANY ideology to him since he ran a largely non ideological campaign.

There's value in that — campaigns that make people feel like they're in a "movement" are very powerful (see: Obama, Trump) and often override any actual ideology.

I'm not really sure about Beto from an ideological POV because so much of how he ran his Senate campaign eschewed policy and ideology. That's not possible on a national stage so I'm sort of taking a wait and see approach. But I wouldn't really call him especially "centrist" based on his little time in Congress.
I think you can ascribe a centrist ideology to him. He decided to join the New Democrats Caucus which is all about the centrist, Third Way policies of the Clintons and has been waffling on single payer.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a solid choice. Harris/someone else ticket might be better though. For some reason both of them I don't feel like is a good ticket.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should consider Ojeda as well. He also overperformed in a Trump district. By a bigger margin than Cruz.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But he lost to Ted fucking Cruz.
Barely and in Texas. Those are not insignificant factors.

Seems like many would say Beto is too centrist which is a problem I had with several stances Obama took as well. I'd like someone more progressive on the ticket (and preferably a woman).

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Only one that should be worried if Beto is running or not is Bernie Sanders. Cause Beto is going suck up his base like Kirby at golden coral

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe we should consider Ojeda as well. He also overperformed in a Trump district. By a bigger margin than Cruz.
Nah, don't need a Trump apologist. Guy also has zero recognition anywhere and probably won't pick up enough steam by the time Super Tuesday rolls around.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Only one that should be worried if Beto is running or not is Bernie Sanders. Cause Beto is going suck up his base like Kirby at golden coral

I think Bernie would be able to retain most of his base.

jgrgzy0l99221.jpg

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
No. I think he has a future and he'll be a successful Presidential candidate EVENTUALLY, but I don't think 2020 is the time. Dude needs to get more experience.
Experience never mattered over charisma. See Obama versus McCain. Obama versus Romney. Obama versus Clinton. Trump versus entire GOP field in 2016. Trump versus, Clinton.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I think you can ascribe a centrist ideology to him. He decided to join the New Democrats Caucus which is all about the centrist, Third Way policies of the Clintons and has been waffling on single payer.
Those ideological caucuses are pretty flimsy. They don't really have strong whips, ESPECIALLY the New Dems.

I also don't know if "waffling on single payer" = "centrist" either. He's sort of your standard Dem. I would guess he's probably a little to the left of the caucus but I also am on my phone and cant check the DW NOMINATE score.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Beto is great and all, but I really don't want another male president in 2020. We need to make better progress than that in the next few years.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those ideological caucuses are pretty flimsy. They don't really have strong whips, ESPECIALLY the New Dems.

I also don't know if "waffling on single payer" = "centrist" either. He's sort of your standard Dem. I would guess he's probably a little to the left of the caucus but I also am on my phone and cant check the DW NOMINATE score.
You arent getting single payer to 50% plus 1 in the House, let alone the Senate anyway.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bernie would be able to retain most of his base.

jgrgzy0l99221.jpg
That's not really a fair comparison — first of all that's not the oil and gas "industry", that's individuals who work for oil and gas companies. That can be anything from execs who wrote a $2700 check to someone who works at a gas station or an oil rig.

Also, Beto outraised everyone which means... he was the top receipiant of individual donations in almost every industry!

I don't think he's in the pocket of Big Dentist, but because his small dollar donations were so large, it looks like he is!

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, simply put, game recognize game. Obama knows. Beto almost fucking won Texas! Dude is easily POTUS material. And that inexperience argument won't mean much when the GOP turned out for that cheeto fuckhead.
It's so fucking sad how the GOP cried like little bitches about how inexperienced Obama was and seeing them fall over themselves to how new Trump is when he made mistakes and missteps early on.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really a fair comparison — first of all that's not the oil and gas "industry", that's individuals who work for oil and gas companies. That can be anything from execs who wrote a $2700 check to someone who works at a gas station or an oil rig.

Also, Beto outraised everyone which means... he was the top receipiant of individual donations in almost every industry!

I don't think he's in the pocket of Big Dentist, but because his small dollar donations were so large, it looks like he is!

Big Accounting, CPAs have too much power in this country