Dec 13, 2018
At least RyanAir charges like 15 euro for tickets. US airlines would implement this and still keep prices high while also adding in as many fees as possible.
Bruh, RyanAir charges extra for everything. Americans are fat and and annoying, the hotels are bigger and definitely your average airline as shitty as it is is giving up more legroom.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It depends, if the price for a flight increases significantly enough with larger seats that less people can afford or want to pay for a flight, that may be better against climate change. In the end, I support anything that makes flying less attractive. Shrink the seats to infinitesimal sizes, quintuple the prices, you name it.
This is a shitty take.

I live on a small island. If I want to go *anywhere*, I need to fly, unless I want to spend two literal days on a ferry to reach my country's mainland. Did I do something to deserve not being connected with the rest of the world?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Is there any particular reason why FAA is such gutless organization and wont just do proper standards?

Too deep in pocket of major airlines?

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can see how being able to extend your legs is attractive for some people, but for me personally the inability to adjust my legs in any way would freak me out more.

In any case, we need high speed trains.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
This is a shitty take.

I live on a small island. If I want to go *anywhere*, I need to fly, unless I want to spend two literal days on a ferry to reach my country's mainland. Did I do something to deserve not being connected with the rest of the world?
I stand by it. The choice of where you live always comes with advantages and disadvantages. I think that flying is inacceptable, because it hurts the environment that much and if I weigh someone's vacation against future generation's lives, it is a very easy thing to say: The choice of place of living may necessitate accepting longer travelling times and / or less traveling. We do have the internet nowadays, so there is no problem of disconnect

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Even at just 6ft tall my knees hurt after 30mins in economy from trying to find places to put my feet besides my bag under the seat in front of me and not manspreading on my seat mates.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 6'2" and weight around 180 and don't fit in normal seats. I have to always pay for economy plus

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
This is a shitty take.

Sorry Alvis, you're just gonna have to take the ferry so my lil' Timmy here in the west can breathe fresher air.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by it. The choice of where you live always comes with advantages and disadvantages. I think that flying is inacceptable, because it hurts the environment that much and if I weigh someone's vacation against future generation's lives, it is a very easy thing to say: The choice of place of living may necessitate accepting longer travelling times and / or less traveling. We do have the internet nowadays, so there is no problem of disconnect
That's a shitty take. Some people are stuck where they live due to family reasons. Also we don't want the world to get smaller,

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
being against the wall and needing to go pee. whats the logistics of that operation.

lord just picturing this has me sweating bullets

no choice of disconnect is a very, very ill formed assumption about the state of contemporary internet, especially for underserved markets

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh I didn't choose to be born on an island wtf are you on about. Real life isn't a battle royale, I didn't drop here from the battle bus. This is my home.

My country actually subsidises the cost of flights between my islands and the mainland (if you are a resident of the islands you only pay 25% of the real price so if the flight is, say, 100€, you pay 25€. If you are a mainlander wanting to visit, though, you pay the full 100€). Thank god you aren't making decisions regarding this. It would be prohibitive to go anywhere otherwise.

Right now, I'm studying a masters in the mainland (I still count as a resident of the islands because I haven't actually moved here). The only reason why I will be able to afford visiting my family this christmas is because the plane ticket cost is subsidised for me. Telling people in my situation that we shouldn't be able to afford plane tickets is how you destroy the perceived image of enviromentalism.

Also implying that because there is Internet I should just be ok with being isolated is an ass take tbh. Like don't you realise how shitty you sound by saying "there's internet so why would you want to leave your tiny island ever". Try living on a tiny island without the possibility of leaving or visiting your family/friends/etc in the mainland, see how fun it is.
Sorry Alvis, you're just gonna have to take the ferry so my lil' Timmy here in the west can breathe fresher air.
Yeah totally fair!

It's not like there is nuance and usage of flights can be justified or irresponsible depending on the context. No, we should just eliminate one of mankind's best achievements and leave certain people isolated because they can just move somewhere else or use the internet amirite

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How is this even a question? 1/3rd of American adults is technically obese, I wanna see a picture of one of those demo planes filled with a representative of the American public.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Bruh I didn't choose to be born on an island wtf are you on about. Real life isn't a battle royale, I didn't drop here from the battle bus. This is my home.

My country actually subsidises the cost of flights between my islands and the mainland (if you are a resident of the islands you only pay 25% of the real price so if the flight is, say, 100€, you pay 25€. If you are a mainlander wanting to visit, though, you pay the full 100€). Thank god you aren't making decisions regarding this. It would be prohibitive to go anywhere otherwise.

Right now, I'm studying a masters in the mainland (I still count as a resident of the islands because I haven't actually moved here). The only reason why I will be able to afford visiting my family this christmas is because the plane ticket cost is subsidised for me. Telling people in my situation that we shouldn't be able to afford plane tickets is how you destroy the perceived image of enviromentalism.

Also implying that because there is Internet I should just be ok with being isolated is an ass take tbh. Like don't you realise how shitty you sound by saying "there's internet so why would you want to leave your tiny island ever". Try living on a tiny island without the possibility of leaving or visiting your family/friends/etc in the mainland, see how fun it is.

Yeah totally fair!

It's not like there is nuance and usage of flights can be justified or irresponsible depending on the context. No, we should just eliminate one of mankind's best achievements and leave certain people isolated because they can just move somewhere else or use the internet amirite
I think it's very relevant commentary to demographics here. As climate change worsens, those with more privilege like Kazooie will turn the lever of the trolley on those that have less under the noble guise of future generations. Afforded no empathy while expected to give so much more.

Beebeard

Oct 29, 2017
Tall man. I know my comfort is the first to go. I've come to peace with it.

I plan to smuggle myself aboard only into the checked bags of NBA players on private jets.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019

You would still have the option of using the ferry, which are much more efficient if used in conjunction for freight (which your island may still require) than planes. Of course it would still make travel less convenient, but not impossible either.
I think it's very relevant commentary to demographics here. As climate change worsens, those with more privilege like Kazooie will turn the lever of the trolley on those that have less under the noble guise of future generations. Afforded no empathy while expected to give so much more.
I do not know why you assume Alvis "has less" than me. I want climate intense behaviour to be significantly more expensive, independent on whether that impacts me personally or not. As a EU resident, I can visit a bunch of different areas without air travel in a reasonable time, but I also want to make cars and fuel much more expensive and my favourite kind of food, meat, as well. Moreover, I think that flights whenever train connections exist, should be illegal, which is something that would limit my area much mire than Alvis'.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
You would still have the option of using the ferry, which are much more efficient if used in conjunction for freight (which your island may still require) than planes. Of course it would still make travel less convenient, but not impossible either.
I do not know why you assume Alvis "has less" than me. I want climate intense behaviour to be significantly more expensive, independent on whether that impacts me personally or not. As a EU resident, I can visit a bunch of different areas without air travel in a reasonable time, but I also want to make cars and fuel much more expensive and my favourite kind of food, meat, as well. Moreover, I think that flights whenever train connections exist, should be illegal, which is something that would limit my area much mire than Alvis'.

The choice of where you live
Many people do not have this choice, this privilege, regardless of whatever else they may have.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
How to know you've never spent 2 days in a ferry: telling people that spending 2 days in a ferry (+whatever it takes to move towards your final destinations in the mainland) is a reasonable option.

The ferry is what you take when you're moving permanently and taking your car and all your possessions with you, not what you take when you want to visit your family for a few days. It's not viable. I want you to understand that what you're saying is that the regular working folk shouldn't be allowed to visit their family for 3 days during a long weekend or whatever.

Thankfully you will never be making these kind of decisions, so I'm done with this conversation.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm 6'4" and obviously I hate flying because of the seating (and the whole airport experience sucks as well but that's a different issue). That said, this hatred is universal no matter a person's size. The only difference is I feel like my life is actively being shortened when I fly compared to someone who is 5'6" or whatever. I've never met anyone of any size that thinks airplane seating is great. At best there's maybe some who are indifferent to airplane seating but that's about it. The only people who like seating on an airplane are people who travel first class or in a private jet. That's it.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I need to post here because of what happened the day before yesterday.

My brother and I flew to Florida in Coach on American Airlines to go on vacation to Disney and Universal. American decides to sit my brother and I, two fully grown men, in MIDDLE seats in rows of three. And I'm seated in between two fully grown men.

I'm 6'1, and let me tell you, unless I have a drink or two and feel particularly horny, I don't want to be in between two fully grown men in a cramped space.

During this four hour flight, the man in the aisle seat gets up and I take this opportunity to use the restroom. I relieve myself, come back to my seat, and proceed to squeeze and comparmentalize myself back in the middle.

Because of how I had to contort myself to sit back in the middle, I completely fucked up my left knee and now can barely walk, let alone run, which is practically a necessity for moving around these crowded as fuck theme parks.

Airline seats as they are right now are literally a health hazard.

The thought that there are people who think: "Airline seats are still too fucking big, we need them to be smaller" makes me want to take a kitchen knife and plunge it into my already fucked up knee.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Think of all the elderly people that fly and have to be crammed into spaces like this for hours... this might be passable for younger people but I don't want to be on a flight with groaning and crying old people freaking out because they can't move their legs during a flight.