Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Americans have gotten bigger. Airplane seats have gotten smaller. That pairing has led to a debate over whether the Federal Aviation Administration should redefine its definition of seat safety.
The agency has long maintained that if airplane seats — no matter their size — don't extend the time needed to evacuate beyond 90 seconds, it sees no reason to set minimum standards. As for the comfort of those seats? That's between the airlines and their customers.

But consumer groups, health experts and some members of Congress disagree, saying it's a mistake for the FAA to only consider the effect smaller seats might have on evacuations. They say it doesn't take into account other potential health risks passengers could face when forced to sit in small spaces for extended periods of time.
Remember Airlines want this for you
220614113121-02-chaise-longue-full-169.jpg

SkyRider_plane_sea_2976219a.jpg

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
For a large number of Americans sitting in coach seats is like paying for prolonged physical abuse.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
im a person not livestock/cargo. this doesnt even look safe in the vent of a crash

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
At 6'6" I've been forced to upgrade my seats for a couple decades now but it's getting to the point where sometimes even the "more legroom" seats have no actual legroom. I can't even sit down in a coach seat now, it used to just be really uncomfortable.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be honest, being able to fully extend my legs is a trade off i'd take for the back of a seat closer to my face.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
1. Tell me the FAA has never sat in economy without telling me the FAA has never sat in economy.

2. Who tf in the "public" is gonna say no, we could use smaller seats? Where these rats at?

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Better for climate change to get as many people as possible on a single flight.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That first picture, how are you supposed to get in the seats on the second tier? And what do the seats in front of those look like? Are they even higher?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
When people joked that coach was actually "cattle class" back in the 90's, we laughed.

Now it's practically a reality.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The whole industry is bullshit. Cramping people in like sardines and the cost of flying is prohibitively expensive to so many people. We have this amazing thing of being able to fly through the fucking air anywhere in the world, people have so many different cultures and learning experiences available to them that would make societies better but it's almost completely gated off, and then on the other end of that there are so many unnecessary flights happening.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I am a small person, and the seats on a 737 flight I took to Denver already felt insanely cramped. You are smooshed against anyone who's not trim and petite. Elbow to elbow for hours.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
What they need to do is stop charging extra for the exit row seats. At 6'4", flying is hella uncomfortable because they keep making the seats narrower and then charging extra for what should be normal. Flying sucks now

Shuckle

Mar 30, 2018
To be honest that 2 tier seating looks more comfortable to me. I'd rather let my legs sprawl out like that and be able to lay back. I'm not very tall though a tall or large person would probably be completely unable to fit in there.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'm going to be honest, being able to fully extend my legs is a trade off i'd take for the back of a seat closer to my face.
I'd obviously prefer normal seating over this monstrosity, but yeah, if I had to choose between the knew busting shit we have now and that...I'd be tempted to go with the seat in my face. I'd need to actually sit in one first though to see if it triggers any claustrophia though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
At 6'6" I've been forced to upgrade my seats for a couple decades now but it's getting to the point where sometimes even the "more legroom" seats have no actual legroom. I can't even sit down in a coach seat now, it used to just be really uncomfortable.
Yeah. I'm shorter than you but air travel has always been misery for me. The lack of leg room for tall people is just inhumane.

Kilgore Trout

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, airline seats are awful. I also hate how they are like at a 90 degree angle even when reclined. I swear, I feel like I am leaning forward unless I recline. It's ridiculous.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
As many people wind up with knee replacements in this country this is pretty lame.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised we haven't yet reached the points where airlines just force people to lie on top each other like human legos.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy for not minding the first picture. Would love a seat that lets me put up my legs like that on the cheap.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Better for climate change to get as many people as possible on a single flight.
It depends, if the price for a flight increases significantly enough with larger seats that less people can afford or want to pay for a flight, that may be better against climate change. In the end, I support anything that makes flying less attractive. Shrink the seats to infinitesimal sizes, quintuple the prices, you name it.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I love smelling the ass and farts of those who paid a premium to not be smelling my ass and farts

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The whole industry is bullshit. Cramping people in like sardines and the cost of flying is prohibitively expensive to so many people. We have this amazing thing of being able to fly through the fucking air anywhere in the world, people have so many different cultures and learning experiences available to them that would make societies better but it's almost completely gated off, and then on the other end of that there are so many unnecessary flights happening.
Flying is prohibitively expensive? I'd say on the contrary it's ridiculously cheap considering its cost on climate. In Europe, at least, often it is *cheaper* to fly than to take a train. And a single trip let's say between Germany and Greece (both European) is the equivalent of eating 400g chicken filet every day for two years. If people were flying even more, that would not improve society, it would kill our climate at record speed.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I am also 6'6" and have been cramming myself into main cabin on flights because I am cheap, didnt think there was that much more room unless you flt business class and figure that 2 hours worth of discomfort isn't that big of a deal; we splurged on cabin plus this past weekend and I was amazed the difference an extra 6 inches of leg room made for me. Its going to end up being an expensive discovery for me because I'm not sure I can make myself cram into a main cabin seat anymore.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
For a moment there I misread the title as weighing passengers for the flight

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Yeah. I'm shorter than you but air travel has always been misery for me. The lack of leg room for tall people is just inhumane.
In the olden days the attendants would see me and instantly offer to move me into a seat with more legroom for free. It should be illegal to charge tall folks extra to fly but I know that no one gives two shits about our problems 🤣
I am also 6'6" and have been cramming myself into main cabin on flights because I am cheap, didnt think there was that much more room unless you flt business class and figure that 2 hours worth of discomfort isn't that big of a deal; we splurged on cabin plus this past weekend and I was amazed the difference an extra 6 inches of leg room made for me. Its going to end up being an expensive discovery for me because I'm not sure I can make myself cram into a main cabin seat anymore.
I think I'm more leg than man tbh. I had a job as a cable contractor once and couldn't fit behind the wheel of the company's bucket trucks but another technician there who was the same height as me could fit without a problem 🤷🏾‍♂️