• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was Nintendo the graphics king 1996-2002?

• Yes king of all

Votes: 84 16.6%
  • King of console side but not including PC devs

Votes: 124 24.5%
  • No, another console developer was more impressive during that timeframe

Votes: 298 58.9%

• Total voters

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What an odd thread. Sega was the near undisputed king of graphics back then.
If you wanted to see the future, you just needed to wander around the arcades and look for that Sega logo. Nothing else could come close.

Good times.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's all subjective. Some costumes (which don't even show up in cutscenes since they're just videos of the GameCube game now), a short and IMO not very good new chapter with only one new area, and a 'true widescreen' mode that had lower actual resolution that just zooming in on the GameCube version.

On the other hand, massive graphical downgrade in textures and geometry, ruined lighting, ruined audio, FMV rips of the Gamecube game for cutscenes. I played though the whole shit to play the Ada chapter and god what a massive downgrade.

But nontheless, read this review and watch the video above

"Not only has Capcom produced an almost compromise-free conversion"

Holy shit, it's basically a straight out lie.

The review pushes an agenda pretty hard, it's truly bizarre.

Honestly, it's no different than the commentary you see from users here in Switch port Digital Foundry threads.

Considering the much weaker PS2 hardware, it was impressive that the entire game was brought over without any cuts or compromises (and just one additional loading screen in the truck segment in chapter 5). Visual downgrades were expected, but it was a pretty damn good port all things considered.

That it also offered a big new campaign was a cherry on top for the PS2 owners who wanted RE4 on their devices.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other then arcade games and a few high end PC games, n64 did not look like trash at the time of release. I mean it is easy to look back at it with 2019 googles and say that now.

I was like 14 when N64 came out and I hated it. Objectively, games went from high detail and characters looking like characters to low detail mush where characters looked like blobs. Games went from playing smoothly and feeling tight and precise to running at sub 30 fps and looking almost universally sloppy. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Obviously a lot of studios on PC were lightyears ahead thanks to meatier tech but also more experience with certain genres and game types.

Here's a 1997 FPS on PC, Quake 2:
1504451401-31882410.jpg

And this is Goldeneye on N64, released the same year:
4fbb1cfd084ea.png

This was on PC in the year 2000 in the form of American McGee's Alice:
american-mcgee-alice-pc-envio-al-correo-D_NQ_NP_967786-MLC28318596843_102018-F.jpg

Meanwhile, this is what Nintendo released that year; The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

MV5BNDM2NmNjNDktZjc3ZC00M2ZlLTkxNzctMTQ0ZjgyZDdlMTk0L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg3MTAzODM@._V1_.jpg

But comparing to much powerful PCs is not that fair, so let's see some games from 1996 to 2002 on consoles that surpass anything Nintendo has done in that timeframe.

Halo (Xbox, 2001)
21494-halo-combat-evolved-xbox-screenshot-to-shoot-or-not-to-shoot.jpg

Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast, 2001)
1683491-shenmuenotstretched.jpg

Formula One 99 (PS1, 1999)
89073-formula-one-99-screenshot.png

I mean, this is one of the last Nintendo first parties to release in 2001, Mario Party 3:
ir.ham_shk_ninten410.jpg

But even going beyond the N64 era, this was the best looking game on Nintendo consoles in 2002, the beloved Metroid Prime:
23699-metroid-prime-screenshot.jpg

Meanwhile, this was Jedi Outcast II on Xbox in the same year:

swjkaspd_5.jpg

Or how the open world GTA: Vice City looked on PS2, still in 2002:
Grand-Theft-Auto_-Vice-City-PS2-Gameplay-HD-PCSX2-screenshot-3.jpg

As someone who was heavily into gaming back then already, tech-wise Nintendo has been trailing hard in that era. Up until the SNES you could have had a point, but just about anything from N64 onwards was usually heavily limited compared to other consoles, let alone PCs. They could make up for the difference with a lot of fun games where the artstyle trumped the technical limitations (see Yoshi's Island), but when it came to 3D games at no point they were truly blasting the competition away. On the console side, Mario 64 was impressive at the time, but it didn't take much for other consoles to destroy those standards graphics-wise.

The heck is going on in that emulated Goldeneye shot? I don't think this is a fair comparison at all, people are going to see these shots and it's going to colour their opinion on how games looked back then. That Zelda shots is also emulation, the original machine mostly targeted 240p output so the assets are made with that restriction in mind and when played on the prevalent screen tech at the time, CRT, it has a better visual congruency between the low poly models and the soupy textures.
zelda-svideo3.jpg

And if you were lucky and had computer monitor with an s-video cable you'd be seeing something like this:
sDuHNyQh.jpg

I'm not denying the N64's poor IQ but increased resolution does those assets no favours and are disingenious.

Could you have found a worse Metroid Prime picture? Metroid Prime holds it's own against Halo:CE, and I say that as a fan who think CE's artstyle holds up extremely well today. That Vice City shot is also from an emulator.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Read what you replied to.

I have also personally stated Sega were the actual kings several times in this thread due to their arcade hardware. But you replying to someone defending the N64 against essentially having 'the worst graphics of the era' by showing something that runs on hardware that cost as much as a small house. That is NOT the point being addressed.

Honestly, it's no different than the commentary you see from users here in Switch port Digital Foundry threads.

Considering the much weaker PS2 hardware, it was impressive that the entire game was brought over without any cuts or compromises (and just one additional loading screen in the truck segment in chapter 5). Visual downgrades were expected, but it was a pretty damn good port all things considered.

That it also offered a big new campaign was a cherry on top for the PS2 owners who wanted RE4 on their devices.
I personally did not find it very impressive, it is far from the best looking PS2 game. The entire game was built around the GameCube's strengths which can no carry over to PS2, and in particular the game's lighting engine which was stripped out entirely (replaced by either nothing or some fake lighting in spots), so it's a dull muddy mess on PS2.

But nonetheless, agenda pushing on a forum is one thing, as a professional reviewer is another altogether. Such a bizarre review.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
No. You could argue that about snes but n64 games looked like trash and Dreamcast came out in 1999. GameCube in 2001 was on par with its contemporaries but definitely not king.

it remained king once factor 5 showed up and they were kings on n64 with rare.

n64 games looked nice on rgb or bnc cables. I felt sorry for people lacking access to decent displays then.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega arcade games were the obvious king, as has been said over and over again in this thread, but I also have trouble putting the N64's visual heights over those on the PSX.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is weird. The first post takes part of one (console) generation and part of another seemingly to create a time frame to prop up Nintendo above everyone else. And even then it fails at that because it pretends the DC didn't exist.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
N64 was more powerful than PS1 in theory, and surely did things the PS1 couldn't, but many PlayStation games were more appealing than the N64's best and aged better. In 2019, I'd say MGS looks better than OOT. I say this as a huge Nintendo fan.

Dreamcast in 99, PS2 in 2000, Xbox in 2001... Nintendo was a contender in this era, but not the king.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
N64 couldn't compare to Dreamcast graphically. I do think Gamecube held it's own against Xbox and easily beat out DC and PS2.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Dreamcast took the N64's crown from 1998 to 2001 and you could argue that the Xbox's technical proficiency did so afterward in 2001, but Nintendo's in-house artistic talents went a long way in that generation.

playstation and dreamcast were more impressive at the time

C'mon, even in the Playstation's heyday I knew the warping, shimmering textures in Playstation titles made them look dodgy as hell.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
The Dreamcast was straight up from the fucking future. Going from impressive PC titles like voxel based Outcast to Shenmue on a console within the year was the sort of leap we may never see again in fidelity.

Is ResetEra the spiritual successor to Planet Gamecube or something?
dkush40.jpg

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Play upres Gamecube games from Nintendo and be impressed. I tried super Mario sunshine in 4k and i said wow.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
The Dreamcast was straight up from the fucking future. Going from impressive PC titles like voxel based Outcast to Shenmue on a console within the year was the sort of leap we may never see again in fidelity.

Is ResetEra the spiritual successor to Planet Gamecube or something?
GameCube was magical when it was just the psx and n64........... until the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox came to the market. Those consoles made you realize the graphical leap.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
N64 was more powerful than PS1 in theory, and surely did things the PS1 couldn't, but many PlayStation games were more appealing than the N64's best and aged better. In 2019, I'd say MGS looks better than OOT. I say this as a huge Nintendo fan.
MGS had a fixed overhead camera during gameplay, or fixed first person view with no moving, and was mostly set indoors in cramped corridors. Essentially it has mostly 2D gameplay. Zelda is a fully 3D free camera free roaming adventure. Much greater in scale and ambition in gameplay and world design.

MGS has insanely good texture work and truly looks amazing, and has more professional cutscenes. But they're not really comparable games in terms of what is going on. Similar to how fighting games typically had the best graphics back then, due to only needing to make one non-interactive arena and two characters with all the system resources.

Jun 22, 2018
Nintendo was outdone by other consoles and by PC during that same window. They were very far from being the graphics king.

They made some great games.... but graphics were not top notch.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The sub-20 FPS frame rates and horribly muddy and stretched out textures pretty much guaranteed that Nintendo was at the bottom, not the top of the graphics rankings in the late 90s. Not that Sony was much better with their own hardware texture issues, but at least the games (mostly) ran at frame rates that I'd consider playable. And, of course, if you include the period from 1999-2002, the Dreamcast runs circles around both.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No. The best looking games of that time period were not developed by nintendo. From 1996 to the dreamcast launch the best looking game was probably turok 2 or one of the rare games. Once dreamcast launched a nintendo console would never again even be in the running for best looking game

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It really depends on the game and the developer. The consoles were pretty evenly matched back then so you rarely got a solid look at one being better than the other. I think most people were shocked that the Gamecube version of Resident Evil 4 was better looking than the PS2 version. Most people sort of shrugged off the gamecube at the time as being the cutsy kiddy console.

Oh, well Nintendo has always put an insane amount of polish into their games (there are a few bad apples, so don't be like what about xxx). It even shows today as they are far more willing than pretty much any other developer to delay their games to ensure polish rather than fixing after release. I think they just have a much better grasp of using art direction with their system limitations instead of how most devs are like "make it as realistic as possible!"
Were people really shocked about RE4? I think it was known to be an inferior port. Also it's not like they launched at the same time.

Also GC was know to have a slight advantage in graphics department, no question.

PS2 still had some impressive games but gc had a slight edge over it. OG xbox was better of the 2 on the versions available for it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Your timespan is the problem - Halo: CE came out in 2001 and, while I would argue MP1 has better art, the technical side of halo was definitely more impressive.

GameCube absolutely had some gorgeous games though, it was a powerful little unit in the right hands. Rogue Leader to this day is a remarkable achievement - there are effects in that ie. self shadowing that are still not standard in games.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Nah. Neo Geo games were graphically more impressive, with 2 year older hardware.
?
Neo Geo MVS April 26, 1990
Super Famicom November 21, 1990

And one was designed as commercial hardware, the other consumer. Hence the later home version being a 'professional consumer' device costing $650 with game carts costing more than a whole SNES+game.

Lol, N64 came out the same year as Model 3 arcade games. Not a chance.
Same again, but even more crazy. A Model 3 cab cost twenty five thousand dollars (depending on the game and cab style). More than a hundred times an N64.

Really stuff like this is not directly comparable, and needs qualifiers.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
What!?

Yes it was, it as a beautifully crafted game. The attention to detail was impressive.
Not sure if you interpreted my post as me thinking the game didn't look great or that the art or attention to detail wasn't amazing. We're talking "The Graphics King" here though and I don't think Metroid Prime was THAT impressive so much that it blew away the competition. It was one of many great looking games from the era. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X and Halo existed before Metroid Prime.

It was more the massive scope of its world, art, attention to detail and level design that blew me away rather than the graphics.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
No. That period had better looking games

Halo
Gran Turismo 3
Shenmue 1&2
Tekken 3
Soulcalibur
Virtua Fighter 3&4
GTA: Vice City
PGR1

And the rest of the PS2 gen we had graphical gems like

God of War 1&2
Shadow of the Colossus
FFXII
MGS2 & 3
Ratchet & Clank
Silent Hill 2
DMC
Tekken 5

And others

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed wasn't gaming at the time Metroid Prime came out.
I've been gaming since the 80's and I had played Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X when I bought Metroid Prime. The art and attention to detail blew me away but not the graphics. Seems you started gaming with Metroid Prime but skipped the games that came out before it that gen.

Metal Gear Solid 2 looked like real life to me. Metroid Prime had a good art direction.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Sorry OP, there's nothing redeeming about the gamecube-era.

Sony and SEGA had them spanked on both graphics and games.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Confirmed wasn't gaming at the time Metroid Prime came out.
Prime isn't immediately impressive. It shows itself over time by having a massive volume of extremely detailed and moody varied environments and remaining solid 60fps even in huge boss battles. Also very fast loading, dynamic audio usage and great lighting design.

It uses the power and technology in smart ways rather than flashy ones so isn't as immediately impressive. And if people were turned off the game due to it not really being an FPS they wouldn't experience what it really achieved with it's tech.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No, and they really never were with the more impressive and obscure consoles competing with them before then.

Sega was better, NeoGeo was better, the Ultra 64 was all hype and had potential, but it still made textures look like fuzzy shit. In 96-97, there was an argument to be made, but Saturn and PS1 had a lot of impressive games in and outside of Japan, Dreamcast put everything down in 98, held up to PS2, Xbox was better than Gamecube.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm not sure Nintendo was EVER the best graphics developer... it just wasn't their priority. Super Mario 64 and OoT are probably the closest they've ever gotten I think. Their games have always looked great though.

As far as the N64 goes, it was an impressive machine for it's time when in the right hands. I always preferred the N64's blurry, low poly look to PS1's warping polys and shimmering textures. I think we can all agree neither is ideal though.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo was always aware that part of a good game is also a pleasant visual presentation (be it on an inferior hardware or a cutting edge one) however Nintendo never ever acted like graphics was disproportially the most important factor.
More over Nintendo from early on consciously veered toward fantasy settings, hyper realistic graphics were never a priority for Nintendo.
All of the above to say that Nintendo may have released games with relatively cutting edge graphics but were never the kind of developer to pursue top graphics at all costs.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure most Nintendo fans only play Nintendo related things. Go and grab a Dreamcast OP. Shenmue is a 1999 game. Or see what Sega did on the 1996 arcades.

I love Nintendo games but there's this thing where Nintendo is the best at everything that's annoying. Starting with that Mario's jump thread lol

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Dreamcast in 99, PS2 in 2000, Xbox in 2001... Nintendo was a contender in this era, but not the king.
Not only in theory. If we directly compare games that were made for both systems the PSX version gets blown out of the water most of the times. Just compare Shadow Man or Armorines Project Swarm, the N64 version is just soo much better.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Not only in theory. If we directly compare games that were made for both systems the PSX version gets blown out of the water most of the times. Just compare Shadow Man or Armorines Project Swarm, the N64 version is just soo much better.
Depends on the game I think, and preferences. Some games do just straight up look better on N64, sometimes it's a trade off ("soft" look of N64 games, or sharper PS1 games that also have warping textures and jaggies). Anything with a lot of FMV or pre-rendered backgrounds will look better on PS1, like Resident Evil 2 for example.

A lot of PS1 exclusives took good advantage of the hardware though, so I'm more thinking along the lines of exclusives vs. exclusives instead of same game on each platform. I mentioned MGS because it shines amide the PS1's limitations. Vagrant Story and Tekken 3 are two other good examples.

For any full 3D action or action/adventure game... yes, N64 was absolutely better.