• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this offensive?

• Yeah, I can see it upsetting people

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • No, it's clearly a joke

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • Sorry I don't speak wrong

Votes: 69 39.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Wasei eigo" (literally fake English) is a real thing, though. It refers to English loan words that aren't spoken that way in English, which aren't wrong in Japanese, but which you should teach against saying if you're going to speak English to a native speaker.

And yeah, I guess in retrospect, the tone is completely lost. I feel ashamed.

OP you can completely salvage this by posting something like this:

CPV3BK5.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole problem is that it just wasn't funny enough to pull off the playful jab. If you're gonna playfully jab, you gotta make sure they're gonna laugh about it. And this is weak material.
I get it, and I wouldn't be offended. It's...marginally amusing. But it's not even exhale out your nose level. Not enough to win over the more stuffy types of people. Especially when it's so niche to require them to interpret it in such a specific way. And if it's not humorous enough to feel playful to them, then they may just interpret the tone as a plain old jab instead.

Now much of this is funny.
I'd like one beef wellington ensemble with lettuce and a choco chip bicky wicky.

Last edited:

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
True story: I was at this workshop for teachers in the UK, and they all made fun of me for saying "learned" instead of "learnt." From this stems my hatred of British English.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think the whole problem is that it just wasn't funny enough to pull off the playful jab. If you're gonna playfully jab, you gotta make sure they're gonna laugh about it. And this is weak material.
I get it, and I wouldn't be offended. It's...marginally amusing. But it's not even exhale out your nose level. Not enough to win over the more stuffy types of people. Especially when it's so niche to require them to interpret it in such a specific way. And if it's not humorous enough to feel playful to them, then they may just interpret the tone as a plain old jab instead.

Now this shit is funny.

I don't know. George knew the 4th Earl of Sandwich, i doubt he would call the british invention a breaddystack.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
No it is not offensive. But obviously, correct English is British English. So it is wrong.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
You explained the club activities one, but context on how 'let's enjoy' is wrong would be appreciated.

Stating British English is as wrong as Japanese English really confused me. One is an accepted way of speaking, the other sounds like people trying to use a non-native language and sometimes failing, yet probably still understandable. Unless this is like an American-British, pointless, "who has the correct English?" thing.
The biggest issue as a joke is it elicited no humorous response, just confusion.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
You explained the club activities one, but context on how 'let's enjoy' is wrong would be appreciated.

Stating British English is as wrong as Japanese English really confused me. One is an accepted way of speaking, the other sounds like people trying to use a non-native language and sometimes failing, yet probably still understandable. Unless this is like an American-British, pointless, "who has the correct English?" thing.
The biggest issue as a joke is it elicited no humorous response, just confusion.
Oh, when we're about to do an activity, instead of "let's do our best" or "let's do it" they say "let's enjoy" which is... again, understandable, but not something we say in native English.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
It also comes off as an indirect way to take a jab at people trying to learn a language, which is pretty shitty if you're an actual teacher imo

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people are missing the fact that it puts the poster in the position of Sponge Bob, an abject if somewhat lovable idiot. Poster is taking a bit of a shot at themselves as well.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
It's more confusing than offensive but it's close enough to the stereotype of "mocking foreign person for not speaking English well" that so many Americans, who can barely speak English, let alone a second or third language, are fond of that you should probably have expected some negative reactions.
I agree with the above.

Also jokes are subjective. I could see why some people would find this condescending or arrogant.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The problem is that if you are showing it to people learning English ASL it comes off as elitist and douchy. There are jokes to be had in the right place and time. But part of the meme game is finding the right time and place. Also it's gotta be funny

Lmao. This goes in places I did not expect
No, I was showing it to ALTs, who are assistants to the Japanese English teachers. Not the people learning the language.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
English is from England. Therefore, British English must be correct by default. Americans just thieved it, abused it and spat it back out again with a bunch of words missing the letter u.

Noah Webster was a charlatan.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Smart to just delete it and move on. For what it's worth, "club activities" seems totally fine in every regard to me (whether in the specific context of your follow up post or otherwise). I don't understand what's wrong with let's enjoy either.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
English is from England. Therefore, British English must be correct by default. Americans just thieved it, abused it and spat it back out again with a bunch of words missing the letter u.

Noah Webster was a charlatan.

Weirdly, even though British English has the "correct" English, England has the wrong accents. The California accent should, like, totally be the default accent.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that people got offended; not because it's not offensive, but because English teachers in Japan seem to love offensive "humor."

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It can come across as being a bit condescending. These types of jokes really only work in person because it's hard to interpret your intended tone over the internet.

I think you should be able to figure out the tone when it's a joke in meme form. It's not like he typed out that they speak wrong, he shared an obvious (and dumb) joke.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
The part "sorry i dont speak wrong" is offensive, because it mocks non-native English speakers as if they were extremely stupid. It is troubling that you are surprised by the reactions: of course, this is interpreted as arrogance.

However, after you explain your intent, I take it more lightly. Sometimes, all we need is a little bit of context to understand the tone.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
when you're in a country where many people are learning English it's best not to joke like this. This joke really only works in America and among native English speakers.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Americans have a bad of being abroad and criticizing people for not being "like them." If someone makes a mistake in their second language and you're a teacher, you should be teaching them instead of making fun of them.