KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's not amazing or anything but I enjoyed it. It's in the same league as Shazam or Wonder Woman as being better than the bulk of DCEU output.

James Wan knows how to make crowd pleasers and it was a fun and inoffensive movie.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's fun while also being dumb.

The dumb can reasonably be a hangup for some people but I had a blast watching it. I think it's enjoyable.

It helps that I held no strongly-held preconceived notions of Aquaman prior to seeing it, probably.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I liked it. Thought the art design was cool especially the deep sea creatures that attack them on the boat when they trying to reach Nicole kidman

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it super fun and went really into what an Aquaman film should be like. Whoever said it's what the Thor films should have been like is on the money.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I found it incredibly boring and I think that's quite a feat since Jason Momoa radiates charisma.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I hate the movie. Im a person that is all for dumb fun but I still need some sort of emotional investment to really grasp a film and get into it. A lot of Marvel movies may have conventional plots with poor villains but they really nail the hero's journey. in Aquaman there is no character for me to latch on to or care about. And you know what? I wouldn't even need that connection if the movie isn't SO DAMN LONG. The run time is so excruciating and the film commits a huge cardinal sin for me: action for the sake of action. I enjoy stupid nonsense but when a film feels the need to throw in an action scene every 2 minutes because it thinks the audience has no attention span then I just don't care anymore. It doesn't respect the audience. And there are some incredible action here. However, for every good action scene there's 5 scenes of some jobber running in to be easily taken out that adds nothing and is so dull.

It's a film I'll look up some clips for once in a while but never watch again. Painful to sit through. I felt drained when I finished watching the film.

Last edited:

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I thought it was your bog-standard superhero movie. Fun for a while but utterly forgettable. Like fast food.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty good. Better than what I was expecting at least, so there's that.

(It's not Batman V Superman so that's already a plus.)

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I liked this movie, it's earnest in its swashbuckling adventure tone and it's pretty good-looking as far as CGI-heavy films go.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
The first two thirds are an Indiana Jones movie and the last third is a Lord of the Rings movie. Both of those parts are good-to-above average. It's an overall fun, if not amazing, film. I didn't know anyone that didn't at least enjoy it.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The action was incredible. The rooftop chase and the final underwater battle were fucking insane to watch in the theater.

Dialogue and script were cheesy and poor as balls though.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's visually nice, but completely lacking in any substance story and character wise. The story beats could be completely different and no one would bat an eye. Which was a shame because Mamoa is likable and there were some interesting bits in the world that seemed like they could have been cool to explore if they weren't just relegated to 4 minutes.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed it purely for it's spectacle. It had awesome action and really cool effects.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
It was good here and there but like a lot of these films I just become numb to the overwhelming action and stuff on screen and want it to end. Some nice crystal clear action at times which was cool though and did love little bits like in the bar when the brutes just want a selfie.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Thin characters, cool action, needed at least half an hour cut from the runtime. If we get a sequel revolving around Black Manta, I'll be there.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't any worse than your average mcu film, so I guess not. The CGI and costume designs were the highlight for me.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe it was because i saw spider-verse before like mere days before seeing this and loved it and consider it my favorite movie of all time, but this was kind of super dull and i only really like some of the art of it, and even then i felt it was being held back by needing to be in live action. the plot made no sense, the romance had no chemistry whatsoever, i just found it pretty boring. not outright bad and i get why people might like it but i just found it thoroughly mediocre.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Lol it wasn't bad at all. Fun and dumb. Much better than a lot of the DCEU films. Pitch-perfect holiday popcorn flick. Don't take it too seriously, because it doesn't.

I don't know what people are talking about or expecting.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
It was cheesy and dumb as shit with terrible acting. Even my wife, who is horny as fuck for momoa, looked at me maybe half an hour in and we're like nope can't do it.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I turned it off. I think it's basically unwatchable. Worse even than Black Panther or Justice League... other comic book movies I couldn't finish.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was awful. And there was like negative chemistry between Momoa and Heard.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It was much worse than I was expecting. I think people may have oversold it to me.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it was pretty bad and way, way too long.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the WW84 thread called it "Underwater Star Wars" and I think that really boils down why it works. It fully embraces its comic origins which results in it being incredibly cheesy but in a good earnest kind of way, helped about by Momoa being way better at the role that he had any right being. The end result is a solid fun well-executed blockbuster that gets elevated by the incredibly strong CGI and visual design, some really good action setpieces, and Momoa, Wilson, and Mateen all owning the hell out of their characters.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
No, it's great film.

Visually stunning. The trench sequence and final act of the film being amongst the best in any comic book movie.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
It's a dumb fun movie that realizes it is a dumb fun movie so it takes full advantage of it. Even though Amber Heard doesn't bring much and her and Jason have no chemistry, his screen presence makes up for it. Also, they made Black Manta cool which should be near impossible so I have to give them props.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman is dumb fun in spite of a pretty central flaw of your two lead characters being so badly miscast.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
It is entertaining. It isn't supposed to be a smart film and that's okay. Regardless of the plot and everything it was a visual wonder.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
As DC movies go...

1.) Shazam
2.) Wonder Woman
-----------------
3.) Aquaman
-----------------
4.) Wonder Woman 1984

The lines indicating that the next movie on the list could easily lose it's spot and they aren't close to the tier above them. The rest aren't worth talking about.

Aquaman isn't a great movie, but it's a fun watch. If it had been a bit more tuned up for dialogue it would've been great. It's right at the Iron Man 2/Captain America 1 level for me for Marvel films. What works about it is that it's a lot of fun and the effects are great.