• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Warren Endorses

• Biden

Votes: 390 19.4%
  • Bernie

Votes: 688 34.2%
  • Tulsi

Votes: 62 3.1%
  • No one before convention/delegate majority

Votes: 874 43.4%

• Total voters

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I think she's already lost some of her progressive support via the media and debates. She doesn't come off as progressive as she thought when standing next to bernie. But then again she looks far left when attacking bloomberg. She couldn't catch a break imo

Certainly agree she was in a bad position and couldn't catch a break. I basically thought she came in with policies that were as progressive as could realistically pass. Then Bernie came in hard to her left with a bunch of totally unrealistic stuff, and unfortunately because it sounded better, her progressive support jumped over. It's really disappointing, I really had high hopes for her candidacy.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She doesn't lose her progressive cred anywhere except on angry left Twitter. Believe it or not, outside the internet bubble, it actually is possible to fight for progressive causes without bending the knee to Bernie.
Because Biden the drone bombing, crime bill writing, detention center growing, social security cutting, Iraqi War and Patriot Act supporting sex creep is obviously a progressive.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Bernie was winning. We've now had 4+ candidates drop out and all endorse Biden. The fact that Bernie is still hanging in there despite that shows how strong his support is. If he simply gets one candidate to endorse him (Warren), he's probably the favorite again. And to everyone saying he's not successfully bringing the youth movement to the polls, that may be true for a primary, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't vote in a presidential election.
I'm hopeful but I think Biden has the nom in the bag

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
that isn't really how politics works, you can't make excuses for your own convictions

if it's a line it's a line but people have to own what their priorities are

It's not about her or anyone else's convictions. It's about not wanting to align with people who don't show you even basic respect. The "people were mean to you so you don't want to support better things for all" is THEIR description of events when it's more that "you either perpetuate, condone, or ignore this kind of behavior so I'm not confident you can represent me or my basic rights as a person politically."

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
It's not about her or anyone else's convictions. It's about not wanting to align with people who don't show you even basic respect. The "people were mean to you so you don't want to support better things for all" is THEIR description of events when it's more that "you either perpetuate, condone, or ignore this kind of behavior so I'm not confident you can represent me or my basic rights as a person politically."
it's ironic because that's how i feel about the mainstream democratic party

thank god i don't live in america

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Because Biden the drone bombing, crime bill writing, detention center growing, social security cutting, Iraqi War and Patriot Act supporting sex creep is obviously a progressive.

I don't remember arguing that Biden was some beacon of progressivism. However, advocating fighting a losing battle (endorsing Bernie when he's still going to lose) that makes it more likely that Trump gets elected is really something that only left Twitter wants. Most people outside the bubble realize that progressivism is not advanced by Trump getting re-elected, and aren't advocating for actions that make that more likely.

mils

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember arguing that Biden was some beacon of progressivism. However, advocating fighting a losing battle (endorsing Bernie when he's still going to lose) that makes it more likely that Trump gets elected is really something that only left Twitter wants. Most people outside the bubble realize that progressivism is not advanced by Trump getting re-elected, and aren't advocating for actions that make that more likely.

Ah the electability argument. Worked great for Hillary!

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Ah the electability argument. Worked great for Hillary!

I mean, I'm not even making an electability argument, although it's pretty clear after ST that Bernie's base can't be bothered to show up to vote. My only argument was that once things are decided, as they likely will be after Michigan, no one should take actions to sabotage the candidate in the general, no matter who the candidate is. Warren likely understands that, and it contributes to her not endorcing Bernie.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

So? Is Bernie his loudest and trolliest supporters? At least he's been behaving himself really well and fairly against his competitors, unlike Warren, who made a fool of herself in that post debate accusing Bernie of calling her a liar on an open mic purposely create online drama. That was trolling and coming directly from the source.

But, whatever, she paid the price and now it's about what ideas to support going forward, whatever the chances are. Are you for an oligarchy or are you for working people's rights?

If Bernie loses the nomination then he loses and everyone goes support Biden against Trump. What's the big deal here?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
So? Is Bernie his loudest and trolliest supporters? At least he's been behaving himself really well and fairly against his competitors, unlike Warren, who made a fool of herself in that post debate accusing Bernie of calling her a liar on an open mic purposely create online drama. That was trolling and coming directly from the source.

But, whatever, she paid the price and now it's about what ideas to support going forward, whatever the chances are. Are you for an oligarchy or are you for working people's rights?

If Bernie loses the nomination then he loses and everyone goes support Biden against Trump. What's the big deal here?

I'm a Sanders supporter. But his followers need to get out of his own way with shit like this, because it's not doing his campaign any favors. There's a reason why behavior towards Warren is one of the few things about his supporters Sanders has directly commented on and said he was disgusted by.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm a Sanders supporter. But his followers need to get out of his own way with shit like this, because it's not doing his campaign any favors. There's a reason why behavior towards Warren is one of the few things about his supporters Sanders has directly commented on and said he was disgusted by.
I agree. Actually, the reaction to that comment from AOC to the SNL sketch was really really bad. I'm actually quite disappointed at people like Michael Brooks an others for how they reacted to it.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since her historic ST losses, her credibility and relevance to the race plummet by the day. The fact that I used to respect her so much as a public figure is astonishing at this point.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Since her historic ST losses, her credibility and relevance to the race plummet by the day. The fact that I used to respect her so much as a public figure is astonishing at this point.

it should have been apparent to me sooner but she was always a fraud. her silence in 2016 before the Massachusetts primary was an initial sign of many that she's not willing to involve herself with hardest fights for progressive policy. she's just a talker

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018

I mean she said he claimed women couldn't win, he denied it (getting people to call her a lying snake) and yet... he now says sexism is a hurdle:

During an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union," Sanders was asked if he thinks "sexism and other forms of bigotry remain hurdles for candidates appealing for not just the general electorate but for the Democratic votes."
"The short answer is yes, I do," Sanders replied. "I think women have obstacles placed in front of them that men do not have."

I mean it's not quite saying women can't win, but people can come away from a conversation with a different views. Sanders could have meant that sexism is a hurdle and Warren could have taken it to mean that he was saying women couldn't win. The thing is all Sanders had to do when Warren confronted him about it was simply give an explanation/correction instead of denying things.

TBH, if there is a bright side of Biden winning (beyond actually getting a chance to get the senate and at least replacing Ginsburg with a Garland type) is that Sanders is probably done. Better people can take the face of the progressive movement like AOC, Pressley, and... Warren.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Warren will remain an influential member of Congress and the Democratic Party. Don't get it twisted. There is a lot of love for her out there still.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
it should have been apparent to me sooner but she was always a fraud. her silence in 2016 before the Massachusetts primary was an initial sign of many that she's not willing to involve herself with hardest fights for progressive policy. she's just a talker
I'm so confused by this. Warren has a history of fighting for progressive policies in the Senate. Like, she's literally the one driving a lot of financial system reform. But... are you complaining she was silent, while also claiming she just talks?

Its been weird to watch the party (self included) become woke about rampant institutional racism in recent years, and then just plug its fingers in its ears at the very idea that women are discriminated against in any way that's not sexual. "Yeah, it is hard for them, but what are we going to do about it? ... Maybe if they were just better people."

Oct 26, 2017
How does Trump win by her backing someone who loses in the primary?

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
How does Trump win by her backing someone who loses in the primary?

Backing Bernie encourages him to stay in the primary longer. Him staying in the primary longer gives him more time to attack Biden, and less time to focus on party unity going into the general. Any lack of party unity benefits Trump.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's all about the party unity as long as the candidate in from the establishment itself.

I lold at Hillary saying Biden is building a campaign like hers lolololol

Meanwhile, another poll from a swing state giving Bernie the lead against Trump...

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about the party unity as long as the candidate in from the establishment itself.

Meanwhile, another poll from a swing state giving Bernie the lead against Trump...

I think Bernie would be an ineffective leader because of his demonstrated inability to build coalitions, and I think his election would result in an absolute red wave in 2022 after he failed to deliver on all of his totally unrealistic promises. He was my last choice among all viable candidates in the primaries. Despite all that, if he had been in the same position after ST that Biden is in now, I'd be urging Biden to drop. Beating Trump is far more important than any other policy position, to me.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Backing Bernie encourages him to stay in the primary longer. Him staying in the primary longer gives him more time to attack Biden, and less time to focus on party unity going into the general. Any lack of party unity benefits Trump.
So you want to anoint candidates instead of elect them? That way you get perfect unity?

Why didn't Biden drop out after bombing in the three first states for 'unity' then? If Biden dropped out and endorsed Sanders it would have been over with perfect unity. Or do you only care about unity if your guy wins?

I mean she said he claimed women couldn't win, he denied it (getting people to call her a lying snake) and yet... he now says sexism is a hurdle:

I mean it's not quite saying women can't win, but people can come away from a conversation with a different views. Sanders could have meant that sexism is a hurdle and Warren could have taken it to mean that he was saying women couldn't win. The thing is all Sanders had to do when Warren confronted him about it was simply give an explanation/correction instead of denying things.

TBH, if there is a bright side of Biden winning (beyond actually getting a chance to get the senate and at least replacing Ginsburg with a Garland type) is that Sanders is probably done. Better people can take the face of the progressive movement like AOC, Pressley, and... Warren.
That kind of misunderstanding is almost certainly what happened.

But Sanders didn't start a public spat about it, and Warren knew saying that in public would start one. It was either a deliberate tactic to undermine him, or very thoughtless to do it like that, at that time, instead of discussing in private first before making your understanding of an old private conversation public.

Also Sanders didn't 'get people to call her a lying snake'. People said mean things, but it was not a directive like that implies.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
A Biden surrogate ( Lindy Li) said she was Biden or bust on national TV. So much for unity.
A week or two ago Bernie said he would endorse anyone that would end the primaries in the first place, even if under 50%... noone else agreed to do the same. Yeah, party unit!

I havent seen any other argument for why Biden should be the nominee other than "he can defeat Trump!" (While polls show that Bernie can as well, sometimes with higher margins...). And at the end of the day that is not an argument that will make people that dont hate Trump decide to vote Biden instead. Who hates Trump wont vote Trump.

Primaries should be about policies, testing the waters with new ideas, see how the public react to them, update your views (but not so much), etc. Trump was elected because he was going to build the wall, be strong in trade, cut taxes, destroy ISIS, etc (not that I agree with any of that, but he promised and in some part delivered all of those). Is Biden going to be elected because... he can beat Trump? fuck no. Primaries are the moment that candidates should be solidifying their plans and strategy, adjusting the discourse, meanwhile we have the media talking about emojis that evil russian-backed Bernie Bros use online!

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of days ago, before ST and after Buttigieg and Co. dropped out and endorsed Biden, Sanders supporters massively started attacking Warren because her being still in the race although Bernie was clearly in the lead would only weaken him. They demanded that she should drop out before ST so Bernie gets more delegates - all for the greater good, so to speak, since she had rather low chance of winning the primaries anyway.

the very same people are now demanding that Warren should endorse a dead horse ("or fuck off") instead of focusing on the candidate which without the slightest doubt has the best odds in winning the election against Trump. So what is it now? Party unity or Bernie or bust? All I know is only one of those option will get kids out of their cages in the American concentration camps.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about the party unity as long as the candidate Is winning.

Fixed it. There's nobody excited about Uncle Joe winning but we realize he just has the better chance of winning. You have Arizona, Florida, and the midwest coming. They won't look at Bernie.
Sadly, this is just about getting a Dem in so we can take save Supreme court and maybe start cleaning the shit Trump threw all over the country and the world.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It clearly doesn't get worse than the republicans but damn if the democratic establishment isn't a hopeless pile of garbage, too. Corporate overlords don't want no Bernie after all.

The USA is screwed.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
So what is it now? Party unity or Bernie or bust? All I know is only one of those option will get kids out of their cages in the American concentration camps.
Finally someone gets it. Bernie is the only one who is going to dismantle ICE making sure that this clearly disgusting behaviour will stop. Everything else is just a stopgap measure, allowing Dems to look like they care about Mexicans while keeping the systems in place to create concentration camps once the US has to deal with climate refugees.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It clearly doesn't get worse than the republicans but damn if the democratic establishment isn't a hopeless pile of garbage, too. Corporate overlords don't want no Bernie after all.

The USA is screwed.
The majority of Americans like his message but not him, people voted and they're deciding for themselves on who should represent the Democratic Party.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
The democratic base voters themselves picked Biden. No one made them vote the way they did.

You don't think every candidate dropping out a day before Super Tuesday and endorsing Biden had anything to do with the vote? Or the media clearly favoring Biden over Bernie? Like, I don't know how you can live through what's happening and think it's as basic as: More people voted for Biden.

Sure, no one *made* them vote that way, but a lot of voters are easily influenced by the media or by the Democratic Party itself.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I don't know how you can live through what's happening and think it's as basic as: More people voted for Biden.
Because it is literally that basic. Biden has more appeal to the demographics who show up to vote in primary elections. Bernie has more appeal to those who don't care to show up on election day.

So Biden won. It is honestly that simple.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think every candidate dropping out a day before Super Tuesday and endorsing Biden had anything to do with the vote? Or the media clearly favoring Biden over Bernie? Like, I don't know how you can live through what's happening and think it's as basic as: More people voted for Biden.

Sure, no one *made* them vote that way, but a lot of voters are easily influenced by the media or by the Democratic Party itself.

A lot of people voted before that even happened, man.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention they endorsed him because Biden won in a landslide by roughly 30% (!!!) in SC consolidating the black vote, which is the demographic key to winning the democratic primary at large.

Biden got endorsements because he won over demos key to winning the nomination. It was the voters who picked Biden plain and simple. You may not like it but it was base democratic party voters who chose Biden. Not any secret cabal of insiders.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Party unity or Bernie or bust? All I know is only one of those option will get kids out of their cages in the American concentration camps.
Finally someone gets it. Bernie is the only one who is going to dismantle ICE making sure that this clearly disgusting behaviour will stop. Everything else is just a stopgap measure, allowing Dems to look like they care about Mexicans while keeping the systems in place to create concentration camps once the US has to deal with climate refugees.
Whether it's Biden or Sanders (which I would obviously prefer; Warren would've been my candidate of choice) in the end, please guys ... make sure to vote for the Democratic candidate in the general election. This is no time for false pride, stubbornness and vanity. Four more years of Trump would be a catastrophe for the planet.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Because it is literally that basic. Biden has more appeal to the demographics who show up to vote in primary elections. Bernie has more appeal to those who don't care to show up on election day.

So Biden won. It is honestly that simple.

Why does he have more appeal with that demo?

we need to go deeper.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Like we always knew that the key to winning the Democratic nomination are black voters, black women in particular. This is no secret.

Also relying on voters who don't normally show up to vote is well, asking for disaster. Obama won them but he also won more reliable voters.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
As a Bernie voter in 2016 and 2020, I say this: if Bernie loses by a significant margin tomorrow, he needs to drop out ASAP or I'm basically done with him. It's over, and hanging out does nothing but hurt Dems in the fall.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I had no problem with Warren running and the attacks against her were disgusting. But at this point not endorsing Bernie is handing the nomination to Biden and screwing the people she pretends to fight for. Really disappointing.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I had no problem with Warren running and the attacks against her were disgusting. But at this point not endorsing Bernie is handing the nomination to Biden and screwing the people she pretends to fight for. Really disappointing.

Warren's endorsement isn't saving Bernie. The block of voters he needs to be competitive weren't in Warren's camp. Additionally, the highly educated professionals that were comfortable with her brand of progressivism are well informed and are likely choosing to either support or withhold support from Sanders with a clear view on his candidacy and platform.