• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Watching my first AoS battle report in a while and I hope they ditch conga lines in AoS next edition like they did with 40K, some great models but the look of the battles often sucks IMO:
2020-07-201yak56.png

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone watch Play on Tabletop? I found it recently after getting back into the hobby since leaving in 5th ed and their production is so far ahead of every other battle report series out there. Legit TV quality. GW should hire or partner with that team to do official battle reports for the Warhammer twitch and youtube channels.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
5 months later, I will finally use the 3d Printer I bought for its intended primary use: 40k bits. I blame Epic 40k :P

Preparing some stuff to White Scarize the two Indomitus Astartes parts I'll get, the wolf head is for the Judiciar. I still need to make a big-ass Dao and a two-head eagle for him, as well some curved chainswords for the bikes. Not sure what I'll do with the Chaplain, Lieutenant and Captain.

VKzIqF6.png
Hnnnnnng!

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe everyone is out of stock for Intercessors, the highest selling SKU across all lines. Not sure if it's a transportation or manufacturing related issue.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I picked the wrong time to suddenly get interested in Custodes.

Heh, welcome to the club, although I had the luck of having a friend's friend selling an army (2700+ of the old points) for a really, really neat price. All this, plus 6 more bikes in sprue, and a Land Raider and two Contemptors, also painted.

WS8lUp5.jpg

FHuVX3a.jpg

The bad news is he didn't have any FW toys. And who desn't want some golden lads with big bolters, flying golden lads, or a goddamn dreadnought with a giant spear. Oh well, there are ways.

Heh, welcome to the club, although I had the luck of having a friend's friend selling an army (2700+ of the old points) for a really, really neat price. All this, plus 6 more bikes in sprue, and a Land Raider and two Contemptors, also painted.

WS8lUp5.jpg

FHuVX3a.jpg

The bad news is he didn't have any FW toys. And who desn't want some golden lads with big bolters, flying golden lads, or a goddamn dreadnought with a giant spear. Oh well, there are ways.
Such gold.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, the Custodes models are just all so damn cool. Like, they really capture that sci-fantasy aesthetic in a unique way, and they even manage to avoid looking like Marines while they do it.

Last edited:

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Anyone watch Play on Tabletop? I found it recently after getting back into the hobby since leaving in 5th ed and their production is so far ahead of every other battle report series out there. Legit TV quality. GW should hire or partner with that team to do official battle reports for the Warhammer twitch and youtube channels.
Wow I really like these 40k in 40 mins videos, thanks for the heads up.

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about how to set up a Space Marine force yesterday for when my Indomitus Box arrives in the winter. I still love the existing terminator sculpts, and I wanted to include a few squads of the different armour types available. Then I found a plastic terminator I have from somewhere, and held it next to a Primaris Intercessor.
Seeing the Terminator head only just reach the shoulders of the Intercessor put me off buying any Terminators. Fingers crossed for some hulking Primaris versions!

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Both :P. But if I have to choose,, Word Bearers. I stupidly love how you paint the Wolves (and anything else, to be honest XD), but the world needs more Chaos lads.

Seeing the Terminator head only just reach the shoulders of the Intercessor put me off buying any Terminators. Fingers crossed for some hulking Primaris versions!

And that's why GW method to update the Space Marine range is terrible. They should have done like they did with Chaos, just release the Primaris in a "we have redesigned the Space Marines and now they are bigger and cooler. Also, there are a few new units (Inceptors and so) and the classic ones have their rules changed a bit (2W, Tactical -> Intercessor...)". And that's it. People would still buy them like crazy because: 1) they look stupidly good*, and 2) the classic figures look ridiculous at their side, so you actually want to replace them.

But this "yeah, let's have the two ranges on a forced co-existance for several years while we milk our customers with a staged release so they buy a gazillion books until we fully retire the old range**" is awful.

*Infiltrators, Incursors and Invictor just look stupid.
**That's the endgame for Legends, I have no doubt.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Help! I want to get a Combat Patrol done this year and I need to focus on one or the other. More Space Wolves or Word Bearers?

Help!

Lovely painting! I'm going to go Space Wolves- loving the way the palette comes together on the miniature!

And that's why GW method to update the Space Marine range is terrible. They should have done like they did with Chaos, just release the Primaris in a "we have redesigned the Space Marines and now they are bigger and cooler. Also, there are a few new units (Inceptors and so) and the classic ones have their rules changed a bit (Tactical -> Intercessor)". And that's it. People would still buy them like crazy because: 1) they look stupidly good*, and 2) the classic figures look ridiculous at their side, so you actually want to replace them.

But this "yeah, let's have the two ranges on a forced co-existance for several years while we milk our customers with a staged release so they buy a gazillion books until we fully retire the old range**" is awful.

*Infiltrators, Incursors and Invictor just look stupid.
**That's the endgame for Legends, I have no doubt.

Largely agreed. The approach that GW taken is surprising. With fans making "True Scale" conversions for years it would have made a lot more sense to just release new up-scaled kits in waves, rather than making a whole new segment of replacement Space Marines & accompanying lore. It's actually kind of frustrating because lore wise IIRC Primaris miniatures are the size that tactical marine sculpts should have been in the first place, and since Primaris are meant to be even taller, the sculpts should reflect that.

If anything, given that the whole Primaris line would have been thought up in the mid 2010s, I would have expected GW as it was (corporately) at that point to replace the entire Space Marine line with up-scaled marines, and THEN release a series of even bigger Primaris Marines as new unit options with Papa Smurf returning, and running both lines concurrently, with the Primaris being a series of Elites, Fast Attack & Heavy options instead.

I won't hear anything bad said about Infiltrators though, I love the clean & slimmer profile of the armour. In fact I prefer the Primaris line until now being devoid of ornaments generally, allowing you to Blanchitsu your sculpts later on as desired.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think they knew replacing the entire marine range would be tough after nearly 30 years, especially when they wanted a proportionate size increase and so the two ranges can look a bit odd side-by-side. Terminators are supposed to be about the size of an Intercessor but just look tiny now.

Building it into the lore was such a gamble, but I suppose they are trying to link the lore and the kits/tabletop game up more closely these days. I suspect the idea was that players are often enthused by a story, a piece of art or whatnot, and the idea of gradually introducing Primaris reinforcement units into Your Dudes, in the middle of a lore change to 'things are even closer to midnight now', as a literal representation of what was happening in that lore, was deemed more gentle and positive than 'Yeah your dudes are just redundant now'. Even though the phasing out of the firstborn is pretty obvious these days when they are never in the front of the pics and very few characters that aren't chapter masters get a nod any more.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Logan Grimnar, Azrael and Dante going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
There's certainly been a change of 40k from being a 'setting' first and a ongoing story second, to more of a balance between them.
Which for me is a good thing on the whole, as nothing in the game precludes you from focusing your hobby/gaming time on those previous stories/events/etc.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's certainly been a change of 40k from being a 'setting' first and a ongoing story second, to more of a balance between them.
Which for me is a good thing on the whole, as nothing in the game precludes you from focusing your hobby/gaming time on those previous stories/events/etc.
Absolutely. Some friends and I still play WFB as if it's a decade or two before the End Times, as to us that point in the timeline is our favourite bit. There's no reason at all not to play 40k in the same way, the books aren't going anywhere and there's so many classic campaigns.

I look at it as new micro-settings, which is great for new stories, new units etc etc. Imperium Nihilus is really interesting as it's effectively brought back the crusade era, it's a vision of what Old Night was like for human civilisations, and makes the remaining Imperial strongholds there (Baal, The Rock and others) more like feudal territories with more freedom to act, more problems and more to do.

Last edited:

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
I agree 100% with the earlier sentiment that 40k in 40 minutes is years ahead of other youtube channels. They have the right balance of holding my attention, editing the video, and just making it enjoyable to watch. I can't tell you how many 9th edition battle reports i've not clicked on when I see the video listed with a ridiculous time length. New one went up within the last day too albeit in 8th edition rules.

www.youtube.com

Warhammer 40k, Adeptus Astartes vs Aeldari 2000 Point Battle, S02E04 - Our send off to 8th edition

Our epic send off to 8th edition. 2000 point ITC match between two competitive players, that also manage to have a lot of fun and bring amazing armies to the...

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Played my first game of 9th edition, using 8th edition points on a 44x30 table

1000 points death guard vs. Harlequins, the mission had 4 Objectives and you would score 5/10/15 points for holding 1/2/more than enemy per turn.

The new Terrain rules feel good.
We simply assigned a few Keywords to the pieces we set up. Everything was on a base so we had a footprint for everything.

The little changes to things like how close combat is resolved, not being able to use psi when retreating or fly not allowing to shoot after retreat make a huge difference. Also having to play more with board control and tailoring the secondary missions to your armies is a lot of fun.
Very good first impression.

My only fear is that through the new blast rules and unit Coherency we will se a lot of MSU as having 5 or having 6 models can make a Huge difference in dmg received by attacks made with multiple blast weapons.

My enemy had a 4 man squad of bikes with a D3 blast weapon. So if my Plage marine squad had 7 models (as I usually play them) he would have gotten 12 shots without needing to roll. Luckily I only had 5 man squads so he only got 6 shots.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Played my first game of 9th edition, using 8th edition points on a 44x30 table

1000 points death guard vs. Harlequins, the mission had 4 Objectives and you would score 5/10/15 points for holding 1/2/more than enemy per turn.

The new Terrain rules feel good.
We simply assigned a few Keywords to the pieces we set up. Everything was on a base so we had a footprint for everything.

The little changes to things like how close combat is resolved, not being able to use psi when retreating or fly not allowing to shoot after retreat make a huge difference. Also having to play more with board control and tailoring the secondary missions to your armies is a lot of fun.
Very good first impression.

My only fear is that through the new blast rules and unit Coherency we will se a lot of MSU as having 5 or having 6 models can make a Huge difference in dmg received by attacks made with multiple blast weapons.

My enemy had a 4 man squad of bikes with a D3 blast weapon. So if my Plage marine squad had 7 models (as I usually play them) he would have gotten 12 shots without needing to roll. Luckily I only had 5 man squads so he only got 6 shots.

Can't wait for Saturday!
Thanks for the write-up, that's interesting! I suppose there's a big trade-off between blasts as a counter to large units, but larger units make the most of stratagems that buff everyone in the squad- +1 attack or whatever on 10 Terminators when they are hitting a tank is a big difference to +1 on five of them, etc.

My box set will be arriving later this summer but I'm working on building some Intercessors while I wait.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
It really depends on the unit.
For example in a Plague Marine Unit I can have 3 special weapons (1 on the champ and two on dudes) no matter how large the squad.

So I can now either take 7 Marines to add some wounds, but risk getting blasted away, or take a seconds squad of 5 with 3 special weapons.

The second options protects me from blast and gives me more much needed flexibility in terms of board control.

Going through my AdMech lists I took 7-8 Skitarii per squad to have them special weapons and some additional wounds.
Now I'd rather have two 5 man squads running around doing their capturing stuff.

Most people forget that blast isn't limited to big battle tanks. Nearly Ever type of Rocket launcher can choose between frag or crack and every infantry unit is equipped with granades. The moment you have 11 models in a squad every D6 weapon is 6 shots and this can hurt way more than having fewer models to begin with.

I'm really eager to try good ol granade spam with the death guard. 9 Man in a rhino with the granade Stratagem will give me 27 shots against a 6+ unit and unholy 54 shots against anything that's 10+.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It really depends on the unit.
For example in a Plague Marine Unit I can have 3 special weapons (1 on the champ and two on dudes) no matter how large the squad.

So I can now either take 7 Marines to add some wounds, but risk getting blasted away, or take a seconds squad of 5 with 3 special weapons.

The second options protects me from blast and gives me more much needed flexibility in terms of board control.

Going through my AdMech lists I took 7-8 Skitarii per squad to have them special weapons and some additional wounds.
Now I'd rather have two 5 man squads running around doing their capturing stuff.

Most people forget that blast isn't limited to big battle tanks. Nearly Ever type of Rocket launcher can choose between frag or crack and every infantry unit is equipped with granades. The moment you have 11 models in a squad every D6 weapon is 6 shots and this can hurt way more than having fewer models to begin with.

I'm really eager to try good ol granade spam with the death guard. 9 Man in a rhino with the granade Stratagem will give me 27 shots against a 6+ unit and unholy 54 shots against anything that's 10+.
Oh, I agree. Plasma Inceptors being blast is suddenly lethal against heavy armour squads of all shapes and sizes now. As you say, board control matters more than anything now, so multiple small units of survivable troops that can sit on an objective even just for a turn are worth having.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of things I like most.
You usually score your primary at the start of your next turn. So sure you can put 10 Cultist on an objective, but then they have to survive a whole enemy turn.
No more "lol I nagged this objective in the last turn with one Grot ROFL"

also limiting the game to 5 turns is a blessing

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Darktide announced at the Xbox event, a 40K take on Vermintide from the same developers! Very excited for that! Just been playing Vermintide 2 today lol!

Oct 25, 2017
A game for Xbox & PC called Warhammer 40,000 Darktide was announced. Seems to be a Left 4 Dead style shooter of Imperial guard vs Nurgle pox walkers.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Tide better not be console exclusive to Xbox. I'll accept it being a timed exclusive though. They did the same with Vermintide 2. I actually want to play it on my PS4/5 with my friends.

Also, I hope it has a versus mode at launch. Still waiting on Versus mode for V2...

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
No doubt many of you tuned in to the recent Xbox Games Showcase! We were super thrilled to be a part of that showcase with our teaser reveal of Warhammer 40,000: Darktide for Xbox Series X.

Ever since we developed and released the critically acclaimed Warhammer: Vermintideseries, we have been bombarded with requests from fans to create a Warhammer 40,000 game in the same first-person co-op action genre. As seen in the Showcase, we were fully on board with that idea!

So, what is Warhammer 40,000: Darktide? We're sticking with a formula we know and are known for – 4 player co-op first-person action in a rich, established universe with lashings of attention to detail to serve existing 40k fans and onboard new players to that grim-dark world.

Everyone in the studio is absolutely enthralled with the Warhammer universes created by Games Workshop. Many of the founding members of the studio met through playing tabletop Warhammer games, and from those experiences and the love for the franchises the concept of Vermintide and, in turn, the upcoming Darktide, was born. Anyone who knows Warhammer Fantasy can tell you how well we captured that world in Vermintide, so you can expect even more love and uncompromising levels of detail to be poured into our slice of the Warhammer 40k universe with Darktide.

We'll still be delivering on the same brutal melee combat that's easy to pick up, yet layered with subtle mastery for those players who take on the hardest challenges the game has to offer.

Darktide won't just be a melee romp though, as we're going to bring ranged gameplay up to the same level as the melee we're known for to really offer players diverse choices and gameplay styles through a more hybrid combat experience.

As has become our staple, Darktide will bring you cooperative experiences like never before. While it will be possible to 'go it alone', playing it with friends or making new ones through the game will be the best way to face off against unrelenting hordes of horror that are out to stop you from getting the job done.

We can't wait to share more with you as development continues, and open the door to some of the new and exciting stories, systems and mechanics that Warhammer 40,000: Darktide will bring to the table.

Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is set to release on Xbox Series X in 2021.
DT_announcement-screenshot_02.png

DT_announcement-screenshot_01.png

DT_announcement-screenshot_05.png

DT_announcement-screenshot_04.png

DT_announcement-screenshot_03.png

Darktide_KeyArt-01_1920x1080.png

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, saw that. Vermintide Necromunda, what's not to like? Hopefully they nail the ranged combat, if I don't die by plasma burn there's going to be hell to pay!

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Darktide looks super interesting. I need a good re-playable 40k game. Wish they would have also done a better FPS version of Space Hulk than what we got.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Seems to be focusing on the imperial guard? But I'm assuming there's going to be a decent selection of characters/classes to choose from. Hoping for an AdMech character.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would expect it probably has a darker, more desperate tone than Vermintide. The four characters are canon fodder guys, the game is probably gonna be more of a mad desperate scramble for survival.
Seems to be focusing on the imperial guard? But I'm assuming there's going to be a decent selection of characters/classes to choose from. Hoping for an AdMech character.

There's some speculation that the trailer guys are false protagonists to be killed off in a later trailer, and the characters in the key art:

Darktide_KeyArt-01_1920x1080.png

are the real team. So that'd be:
  • Pyroclast
  • Ogryn
  • Some sort of guardsman
  • A sniper?

Oct 31, 2017
Hey fellow 40k nerds (upstanding imperial citizens), I just came across the youtube channel of Snipe and Wib - specifically their rundown of the 3d edition Necron codex. My question is, are they OK? Am I going to run in to weird hard right consipracy theories and fascist apologetics if I keep watching them? They seem alright.