• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Minimum Wage work gets minimum wage effort. Enjoy the bed sores and UTIs, boomers. You should've thought ahead when all of these LTCs and TCUs wanted less oversight and regulation. You played yourselves.

Womps and Pronkers.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If I get a bad prognosis and I'm over the age of 70 I will just end my life. I won't bankrupt my family and leave my kids with nothing just to cling to life for a few years.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
One of the reasons I'm considering staying in the geriatric field as a medical professional rather than switching gears to something hip like urgent care is because the demand really is on that borderline about to explode.

On the other hand, you'll be expected to do the work of 2-3 people because of the shortage, if not already.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people might not be in the right place to do it, but I urge everyone who can to look into programs that help you keep your aging parents at home by paying for rented medical equipment and home health care aides. My mother worked in nursing homes for over 16 years and they're some of the penny pinchiest low quality facilities around. Most are corporate owned and only see the residents as bodies in a bed. They encourage people to put medical equipment in their rooms that they don't require just so they can charge more for it and they do things like count office workers as floor aides even though they don't actually help the perpetually short staffed employees who in turn hurt themselves trying to do too much in order not to get written up by supervisors for not getting work done while waiting for help that never comes. Occasionally you can find a small private facility that is decent but it's very rare.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hardly surprised they can't keep young people in old folks homes.

That's hard, draining work for pennies.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I also notice "lack of young workers" becoming an issues in other sectors as well.

Just yesterday I believe I was trying to be poached by our customer because at their facility in Florida a lot of the key players are retiring now and they are having a lot of trouble finding young talent to fill those roles.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
The Boomer generation screws the world and now expects people to jump at the opportunity to care for them in their golden years at an unlivable wage. That's quite rich.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yea that pay is awful. Nobody would take that kind of job when it pays less than fast food type work. Way more stressful and potentially longer hours for less pay makes no sense.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sorry old people but you are not entitled to getting taken care off like a baby. This is a horrible job and the wages are trash, can't fault anyone for staying as far away from this as possible.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
What should happen: dramatically increase immigration and raise wages for these service workers

What will happen: right as we are getting out from under student debt most of us will have to spend that money on elder care. Meanwhile boomers complain that millenials aren't buying their mcmansions they want to sell because they spend too much money on avocados.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think Bernie Sanders of all people (and this isn't ageism here) would be shouting from the rooftops about how Medicare for All covers long term care. But we're still fighting desperately for healthcare for able-bodied working people, which is a reflection for how far the window of discussion is out of whack.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
The solutions to the worker shortage are either

a) Let more people into these states who are willing to work low-paying jobs (someone with student loan payments ain't gonna be that person)
b) Pass Medicare for All, which will provide government funding to pay the workers competitive wages.
I know the solution, I was being cheeky.

These articles always happen for shit jobs in healthcare, well in general and it's like the aides don't even make 30k. Who wants to wipe old ass for 30k?

If you don't want to cut the check, and you don't want "brown people" doing it, then good fucking luck.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a nurse and right out of nursing school I worked in a nursing home. I really did the best I could for the residents but holy hell the work environment and support you get to care for the elderly is shit.

Many of the workers (especially the CNAs) are seriously underpaid and the ratios of residents that us nurses have to take care of frequently gets out of hand.

I only lasted 9 months (was trying to make it to a year but the physical demands of the job ended up being unacceptable). I now work in a facility where the work is MUCH less physical and I get paid more to do less work (and thus, more willing to do overtime since the work is a breeze comparatively).

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to find out about this the hard way. My mother walked out on us when I was four. The next time I hear from her she's literally on her death bed and the hospital is looking to me and my brother to pay. This shit is fucked.
Shit, most states usually have an exception if the parent abandoned the children for at least 10 years of their minority.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, most states usually have an exception if the parent abandoned the children for at least 10 years of their minority.
I couldn't find one (NH pre 2013) in the time the hospital was threatening to call collections. I was in the process of buying a house at the time and couldn't risk it.

Oct 27, 2017
The oldest Boomers only turned 73 this year.

If the facility is at least decent, there are not just late-age people living there. When my dad was placed in one for recovery and therapy from surgery the first time, there was an ALS patient (20's age) basically living there, he had his big TV and video games right in the room with him.

There are more people than just boomers that this affects.

Also, not everyone can do things or host things at home, particularly if there are too many accidents or falls. Additionally, someone might take the car for a drive when they are no longer really capable of driving, make a call or go online and make an order costing thousands of dollars, or simply fall down from weakness and not be able to get up without multiple people assisting. All this happened with my own dad unfortunately.

Politically speaking, in this campaign cycle the sell to the public on both better healthcare systems and immigration has been terrible, especially from the people who purportedly are touting the best alternatives. The current debate formats don't help in this regard, and clearly with the timing of the Sanders tweet above, neither does sniping at the press over coverage. What Medicare is and what it covers continues to be largely misunderstood.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Its almost like CNA work shouldn't be paid like shit.

I worked as a CNA for two years and it was the most back breaking stressful, mentally taxing work I have ever done and I made 13 dollars an hour.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
It was hell trying to find a place for my Mom last year, she has been on welfare and disabled since the late 1970s. She was 62 and couldn't take care of herself anymore. So instead, we were in the process of buying a bigger house in Arkansas to move her in with us from Phoenix. She died a week before we were going to move her out here. If we had acted 6 months sooner, she wouldn't have gotten sick. Mom always said she was fine, until it was too late. I won't make that mistake with my wife's parents. We'll move them in the second there may be trouble.

I have an autistic 6 year old at home, and my main goal in work is to put enough money away so that he can be looked after for 40-60 years 24/7, preferably in his own home, after I become too old to work (I'll likely work till the day I die).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Boomers spend their whole life enjoying a prosperous life, fuck us younger folks over time after time, and continue to make sure we are being fucked even though they themselves need us all because they can't stand the idea of immigrants, the poor, and the colored getting ahead and enjoying some of that American Dream. Oh fucking well. Can't fix fucking stupid.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Filial responsibility laws are blowing my mind. It's not as if I need motivation to do everything I can to make sure I don't become a financial burden, so I guess just add it to the pile. I would rather die than drag my kids down financially.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a thankless job where you're underpaid, overworked, and understaffed. who would want to do it?

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I live in Maine and my doctor just retired cuz he's old. Ain't no young folk here in Maine, they all bail for Massachusetts. It's not just healthcare for the old but just a super brain drain in general. College grads leave the state in droves cuz there's nothing here for them. The jobs are pretty much Dunkin Donuts, elderly care, paving or dealing heroin.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was mentioned a while ago, but its starting to seem like Japan was a prelude to what almost all Western nations are going to face both population wise and in respect to fiscal policy/economy
Yes, the problem can be mitigated by immigration but it is inevitable and anti-immigration sentiment isn't going to make it better any time soon. Any governance that adopts anti-immigration rhetoric are simply committing demographic suicide for short term gains, which is something boomers are known for ironically.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Minimum Wage work gets minimum wage effort. Enjoy the bed sores and UTIs, boomers. You should've thought ahead when all of these LTCs and TCUs wanted less oversight and regulation. You played yourselves.

Womps and Pronkers.
No one deserves to be neglected there's tons of boomers who voted against these types of things too. They didn't all just vote as a block. Also your retribution is completely wasted because the rich greedy ones will all be able to hire personal assistants or live in swanky private homes .

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We pay 7K a month for my mother's memory care unit rent.

No insurance, no Medicare, no Medicaid. All out of pocket. That's for 30 days. 7 thousand dollars.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
giphy.gif

WOOT! For once Texas isn't on the bad stuff list!