• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on the other picks besides Tanden?

Symone Sanders is the only one I know much about.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out examples of bad young progressives isn't a valid response to someone wanting more young progressives, because the poster did not allege that all young progressives are good.

hes not just bad because of his background. The truth is in many of these heads of departments you're going to be looking at people who are likely pushing 40 at the youngest. It's the nature of heading large organizations. We've seen in the private sector what happens when you have young ceos. They're even more shit on average than some of the fossils. Given the president can only appoint heads. There's plenty of young progressive people working in these government organizations at various levels of management.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

But I'm sure the online activists would know better.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Biden is shit and so is Neera. So, it makes sense. Anyone who expected Biden to go left after winning by punching left and appealing to the right was either selling a lie or was painfully naive.

Politics is about power. Biden has had the power/money behind him the entire time. Politics aren't for the people.

He won and these appointments are the signal that any leftist who supported him was a sucker.

You realize the senate has to confirm this position? What's the point of nominating someone far left when it will be DOA? This is a Merrick Garland nomination

Also see tweet above

Oct 25, 2017
hes not just bad because of his background. The truth is in many of these heads of departments you're going to be looking at people who are likely pushing 40 at the youngest. It's the nature of heading large organizations. We've seen in the private sector what happens when you have young ceos. They're even more shit on average than some of the fossils. Given the president can only appoint heads. There's plenty of young progressive people working in these government organizations at various levels of management.
What is the relevance to Aaron Coleman for the point you are making

Oct 7, 2018
USA
I swear some of you are living in some kind of alternate reality where we won the Senate and Biden can nominate whoever he wants to breeze right through confirmation.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is shit and so is Neera. So, it makes sense. Anyone who expected Biden to go left after winning by punching left and appealing to the right was either selling a lie or was painfully naive.

Politics is about power. Biden has had the power/money behind him the entire time. Politics aren't for the people.

He won and these appointments are the signal that any leftist who supported him was a sucker.
She believes in full employment and she thinks deficit chasing is a suckers game. Look I don't like her but in the position she's being nominated for she's further to the left then a lot of the political establishment

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yea like Aaron Coleman. Cause the progressive and younger is always better.

hes not just bad because of his background. The truth is in many of these heads of departments you're going to be looking at people who are likely pushing 40 at the youngest. It's the nature of heading large organizations. We've seen in the private sector what happens when you have young ceos. They're even more shit on average than some of the fossils.

I have no clue why anyone would be advocating for someone like Tanden when there are so many other women they could put in that position that don't have the baggage. I'd ask what relevance CEOs have or what sort of inconsistent argument you're making here, but at this point, I wonder why I bother responding to you, it's clear you're poisoning the discourse and talking about things other than Tanden. If you can't defend Tanden on her own merits without resorting to calling out Aaron fucking Coleman, your argument is not worth the time.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But I'm sure the online activists would know better.

I'm really getting sick of this "online activist" bullshit. I'm just sick of people glelefully and maliciously not only dismissing the opinions of people who have an issue, but outright pretending they *have* to be fringe or they are just crazy. I'm sick of people on this site gleefully making sure I know I am hated for the crime of wanting to help people!

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
What is the relevance to Aaron Coleman for the point you are making
being young doesn't make you good and young people almost lack the necessary maturity to be the equivalent of a CEO/VP in the government. Competency and experience in their core role should be the guiding principle.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? Fuck it I'm going to say it. As someone who has worked Cyber Security for the election and slaved away for hours at a time working day and night for the election, I've done more than the assholes who seem determine to dismiss any and all criticisms as the "online left".

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
she's not a good person and not a good pick but man folks really used to vastly overestimate her power and influence

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what you are trying to get across.
That she's a fine choice apparently.

There are so many things a person can do that makes them a "bad person" in the whimsical eyes of anyone. Not sure it matters in the general nor in the duties within the spectrum of the appointment.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That she's a fine choice apparently.

There are so many things a person can do that makes them a "bad person" in the whimsical eyes of anyone. Not sure it matters in the general nor in the duties within the spectrum of the appointment.

Outing a rape victim is more than "whimsical" and should be grounds for firing no matter what.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I swear some of you are living in some kind of alternate reality where we won the Senate and Biden can nominate whoever he wants to breeze right through confirmation.

Wait, do you think Neera Tanden is appealing to Republicans? Even in the fantasy world where Republicans were blocking appointments based on the candidate's history instead of being a simple iron wall "fuck Obama/Hillary/Biden/Democrats" plan, she's not swaying anyone.

Last edited:

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really getting sick of this "online activist" bullshit. I'm just sick of people glelefully and maliciously not only dismissing the opinions of people who have an issue, but outright pretending they *have* to be fringe or they are just crazy. I'm sick of people on this site gleefully making sure I know I am hated for the crime of wanting to help people!
I'm deferring to experience and knowledge rather than an ideological pissing contest is all I mean. It's become far too commonplace and rewarding to bitch about matters on the internet; and, without any qualifiers to weigh those opinions, it becomes a maze of trying to find an informative opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
being young doesn't make you good and young people almost lack the necessary maturity to be the equivalent of a CEO/VP in the government. Competency and experience in their core role should be the guiding principle.
No one claimed that being young made you a good person. Being young makes you more likely to support progressive policies, hence people want youth. Bringing up Aaron Coleman does not make sense when experienced politicians frequently face sexual harassment charges.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I didn't realize we had staunch Reaganites on ERA. Is the only way you can understand government by comparing it to a company? Because that's frankly disturbing when a government should be providing services for people, not enriching itself.

And why should we defer to Reich? Its entirely plausible that he could be completely wrong.

I like Reich but I think the appeals to authority in order to deflect criticism are frustrating as hell.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017

This is how they will shield the destruction of employment for the Uber gig economy.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Neera Tanden has pushed for

1) A multi-payer system like Japan or most European countries that aren't the UK. Too many get hung up on Single Payer when very few countries with UHC have it. Like, there's two major countries that have it (UK and CA) with all others having split government and private responsibility for health care.
Pretty convenient when the discussion is between what we have now, a public option, and single payer. And those systems that aren't single payer run on non-profit.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Why reward her at all, after everything presented here? Someone who outed a victim? People have lost job opportunities for less. For once, I'd like the logic to not work backwards into justifying the decisions of people who, may I remind you all, work for us.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
Wait, do you think Neera Tanden is appealing to Republicans?

No I don't think any of his picks will necessarily be appealing to Republicans but I see people on here calling for a more progressive leftist pick which definitely won't be.

At least they can say she's already been part of a previous administration and worked closely on policy so it would make it look more ridiculous for Republicans to refuse her nomination.

Not sure that really matters in the end because Republicans have no shame but it's a tough spot he's got to at least try to pick some people that they can push through instead of just putting up somebody who's automatically dead in the water before the process even starts.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Outing a rape victim is more than "whimsical" and should be grounds for firing no matter what.

Unless I misread the article, it sounded like, at least in that particular meeting referenced, it was a genuine mistake.

Not that it makes the damage any less hurtful, but there is a pretty significant difference (in my opinion, at least) between making a mistake and intentionally doing something.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically Reich admitting she's not a great pick, he's literally downplaying her influence in that tweet. You wouldn't do that for someone you think is good.
If she was actually a good pick, he'd make that case. Instead, he's saying, "She won't yield the kind of influence one might think in this role"
No, he's basically saying the scope of concerns in his mentions are moot given the position she's being appointed to, of which she's an "excellent choice" for.

And why should we defer to Reich? Its entirely plausible that he could be completely wrong.
It's entirely possible he's wrong. That aside, tell me why we should defer to you and we can compare.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize we had staunch Reaganites on ERA. Is the only way you can understand government by comparing it to a company? Because that's frankly disturbing when a government should be providing services for people, not enriching itself.

I mean more than any other position head of OMB requires core competency. A failed estimate from the OMB can kill programs once it starts to go over budget and requires government shutdowns / conflicts with the senate to get last minute budget approval because of a failed estimate.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm deferring to experience and knowledge rather than an ideological pissing contest is all I mean. It's become far too commonplace and rewarding to bitch about matters on the internet; and, without any qualifiers to weigh those opinions, it becomes a maze of trying to find an informative opinion.
If she was actually a good pick, he'd make that case. Instead, he's saying, "She won't yield the kind of influence one might think in this role".
He's acknowledging the concerns. If she were actually a good pick, he wouldn't need to qualify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.