flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
VRR is available in TVs that don't support 2.1.
The big thing about 2.1 that definitely requires new hardware is 4k@120hz because it's extra bandwidth required.

The Xbox One supports VRR for example.

So I'll definitely be able to use VRR on this TV once the VRR update for PS5 hits?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
We probably have to wait months for this. I hate the tearing in valhalla :(

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
It's not tearing at all for me apart from 5% of cutscenes. I know it's a pain but try uninstall and reinstall the game. I did that as someone mentioned it was a fix but not much evidence, can't hurt though?

Hows reinstalling helps? Its the game. Yes 95% of the tearing are in cutscenes but the game can tear in big combat scenarios too. Also the cutscene tearing is annoying enough

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not software dependent / game specific? Awesome!
In general, no. But you probably won't see any benefit with PS4 games that cap the framerate, especially if playing those games on PS5 means that cap is hit for a solid 30/60fps. But any games that struggle to keep a solid framerate even on PS5, or games that have an unlocked framerate, should benefit from VRR assuming the framerate stays within the VRR range of the TV.

So the long and short is it should work with PS4 games in theory, but assuming VRR is system level, you'd only get a tangible benefit on games that have an unlocked or unstable framerate. I haven't seen any performance figures for PS4 games on PS5, but my gut tells me the vast majority of games will have upper caps of 30 or 60fps, which PS5 will almost certainly max out flawlessly.

VRR's real benefit will be on PS5 games, especially ones that developers allow for an unlocked framerate above 60fps.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
Hows reinstalling helps? Its the game. Yes 95% of the tearing are in cutscenes but the game can tear in big combat scenarios too. Also the cutscene tearing is annoying enough
Not sure if it does help I'm just saying I did that and I don't get the problems you are talking about.
The cutscenes I've noticed a few here and there and I'm 60 hours in the game.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
Its literally in every cutscene. Maybe you are not that sensitive to tearing but its almost always there
I definitely notice when it tears so I am sensitive to it, anyway like you said with VRR it would be irrelevant if you have a TV that supports it.

Hopefully Sony has this as a high priority.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any negative effect to having VRR enabled on a TV input if the source isn't outputting VRR?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any negative effect to having VRR enabled on a TV input if the source isn't outputting VRR?

If it works like monitors than no. A source cannot have VRR or not anyway, it's just either VRR is enabled on a display or it isn't, the rest is affected by if the framerate is locked or not.