modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I noticed that the official FAQ has been updated with this although I'm not sure how long ago was it:
Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR

blog.playstation.com

PS5: The Ultimate FAQ

Everything you want to know about PlayStation 5, all in one place.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony are currently working on VRR and ALLM firmware updates for their "Ready for PS5" X900H / XH90 4k TV, so once those updates are finally released, I'd guess the PS5 VRR update probably won't be far behind.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Do you have to change anything on settings on the oled lg TVs or will it do it automatically

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really had no idea this wasn't in at launch until yesterday, and I thought I was following it pretty close. As long as it's a software update (rather than hardware) then I'm happy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To the surprise of (hopefully) nobody, but it's always good to have confirmation.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This was expected, but it's excellent to see it clarified as a post-launch feature. I do think saying it's a standard system feature, then it just not being there at launch was a bad way to play it.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Shouldn't all games support VRR? I really hope this isn't something that needs to be implemented on a game per game basis.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR
Uh oh.
This should be a system-level feature, not game-specific.
I bet it's not going to work with backwards compatible games either.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck YES!

giphy.gif

Now add 1440p

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, we knew it was coming. Good on them for addressing it early. Better sooner than later. Should be a system wide feature as well, irrespective of a game having "support" or not.

On to 1440p now.

Also, the most important request of them all - for the love of Kaz and Ken, please unlock the shackles of the back compat perf profiles being locked to "PS4 Pro mode". Let the PS5, brute force back compat in all previous gen titles.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Good. Can't believe the system launched without it.
What games are doing 60-120fps at 4k on PS5 right now? Dirt 5 and that's about it. Sony haven't even rolled out VRR at all or 4k@120 on the x900h across all regions yet.

Obviously it would be nice to have it at launch but it only impacts a very limited number of TV's and even less games right now. In most markets there are only about 4 or 5 televisions that actually support VRR currently.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Any news if the next OLEDs from Sony (2021) will support HDMI 2.1 and VRR?

I think it's a given that all future high-end TVs will have HDMI 2.1. This year is just a bit dodgy as the tech is so new and consoles are really the first thing to really push it. As a result we've seen some TVs manufacturers realising they needed better software support within the firmware for it to work as it should. I imagine next years sets will be much more stable.

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
It appears Sony may be rolling out VRR company wide at the same time. I think Sony TV's and PS5 will be updated with VRR at the same time. Or maybe they will update PS5 with VRR when they roll out their 2021 TV models.