Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This is really cool and already has some cool gaming and practical uses. Of course it's not ready for mass market, but definitely a glimpse into the future.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Can you reach into it and grab the displayed object? No? Well, I'll stick with VR then.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Can you reach into it and grab the displayed object?
willywonka12655.jpg

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exciting stuff. I would love to see some games with this.

I did recently make a thread recently for old school hologram and 3d glasses games, if anyone's interested.
www.resetera.com

Let's look back at early 3d image games

With all the advancements in Virtual Reality in recent years, I thought it would be nice to look back at the earliest 3d image video games, before 3DS and before Virtual Boy. In the late '70s, Atari began working on a holographic tabletop game system called Cosmos. It was expected to be...

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a long time before it becomes common in games, so for the time being VR is all the rage. That's very cool though still.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Need an eye tracker to make this thing work more efficiently.
Right now it's a huge waste of computing power.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yes, yes you can. Watch the video.
It's just so hard to watch with that annoying guy there...
So what it amounts to is a 3D display with more angles. Rendering 45 angles when there's not 45 different eyes looking at it seems pretty inefficient and can probably be thinned out by tracking where the viewer is located (also did I misunderstand something or are the angles all spread horizontally? That would mean moving up and down wouldn't work). Still, you're looking at a screen in front of you, the point of VR is that it's omnidirectional and you can e.g. look down at your body and pull something out of a virtual pocket to interact with. Might slightly help with non-gaming applications but if it's about 3D visualization why not just have a regular screen and a way to rotate the viewpoint? Especially for medical imaging that would make it significantly easier to point at relevant things.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is really cool and already has some cool gaming and practical uses. Of course it's not ready for mass market, but definitely a glimpse into the future.

Any time anyone compares 3D to VR, it's a dead giveaway that they've never used VR and don't know what they're talking about. They're completely different things.

That said, the tech looks super cool.

Oct 26, 2017
I can see it as a good technology for video conferencing, in particular. But overall this is closer to a next gen 3d display than anything like AR/VR.

Dmonzy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get your hostility to VR, OP. The holographic display is cool, but they're very different experiences so it's weird to suggest that one will overtake another.

Plus VR already has countless practical uses in the scientific/medical/consumer world, rather than just hypothetical uses.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I watched the video, and this is really dope, but it doesn't seem like it's anywhere near as immersive as VR. It's going for something different. These displays look more like an evolution of glasses-free 3D tech we've seen already.

Last edited:

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, I'm sorry but when I'm in VR the world is all around me, while this is really cool VR right now is more impressive to me.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Way to derail your own thread from the get go.
Any time anyone compares 3D to VR, it's a dead giveaway that they've never used VR and don't know what they're talking about. They're completely different things.

That said, the tech looks super cool.
Exactly. This looks very very very cool but VR on something like the Index with the knuckles is just different and in a whole another level. In VR you're not just looking at something 3D, you're actually in there inside the 3D environment.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Sounds like it's time to bring back Nick Arcade with this technology.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I don't see what this has to do with VR. It is cool though, but do you only get the 3D effect of it if you are moving left and right to see the angles like the holographic Jurassic Park 2 VHS cover? Or are the angles between images acute enough that two eyes will actually see different angles, and are those angles varied enough to create a 3D image on their own?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
the game Prey had this sort of same tech with the same name; I wonder if there's a connection.
Besides the fact it's a name that makes sense considering the tech, it's coincidental. Prey's "Looking Glass" tech is an homage and reference to Looking Glass Studios who made the System Shock and Thief games, which are the main inspirations behind nearly all of Arkane's games among other connections.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Yes, yes you can. Watch the video.
Not always to true scale though. It works well for small objects and small scenes, but anything that isn't something resembling a scrolling world is not going to work.

I actually do think light field TVs could be a pretty big thing in the future if people think the value is worth it, however VR/AR will always be supreme in basically every aspect aside from the wearable factor. The difference is so large, that holographic displays will be like a black and white Nokia phone from the 80s, and VR/AR will be the IMAX experience.

There's also the fact that VR and especially AR will let you project a light field TV for free; you can recreate the Looking Glass virtually right now, you just have to wear something.

Last edited:

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vr will stay gimmick until holograms will replace it. I've a vr headset, but its not a replacement for tv at all. (By far) holograms on the other hand would make tv's obsolete. That said. This is for sure the next step.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vr will stay gimmick until holograms will replace it. I've a vr headset, but its not a replacement for tv at all. (By far) holograms on the other hand would make tv's obsolete. That said. This is for sure the next step.
holographic displays may replace TVs, but how would a holographic display replace VR if I can't step into the hologram?

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

Holographic displays could potentially replace standard flat display screens. I don't see the relation to VR at all, considering they don't do the same thing.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't the same thing, but I'm several magnitudes more impressed with the advancements in 3D holo over VR.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You didn't watch the video. This is not a hologram whatsoever.

VR is also not a gimmick. You seem to think that because it hasn''t replaced your TV that it remains one. Is gaming in general a gimmick because it hasn't replaced movies?

FYI, it absolutely will be able to replace your TV if you desire and choose to. It just needs a combination of variable focus, high resolution and field of view, and a slim wireless form factor. That's about all it needs to be viable, and that will happen within 5-10 years.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
They aren't the same thing, but I'm several magnitudes more impressed with the advancements in 3D holo over VR.
I'd take a look at some of the R&D advancements going on in the VR space that haven't reached consumers yet. If you think the 3D display space is interesting, VR's advancements would shock you numb, because it's one of the fastest advancing fields I've ever seen.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
That looks really promising indeed! Wonder how it could possibly change our entertainment experiences in the future.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Glassless 3D is not a competitor to VR.

Do the 45 passes mean any resolution is essentially 45 times the size in terms of technical overhead?

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holographic displays may replace TVs, but how would a holographic display replace VR if I can't step into the hologram?
Holographic displays could potentially replace standard flat display screens. I don't see the relation to VR at all, considering they don't do the same thing.

I saw the full vid without skipping. And what i mean is that real holograms (that place you in the world like vr) would make tv's obsolute as you could do ar with it as well. I'm not saying that this tech (of this thread) will replace vr gaming, i say that hologram will. Vr is gimmick as it's not meant to play for long durations. I mean, the most userbase wont use this as main device for playing games or watching movies. Only holograms could change that (which still isnt possible) That said, this tech (like 3ds, but much better) will replace the current tv's. This will be accepted by the global userbase as evolution for replacing the current existing tv's.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Glassless 3D is not a competitor to VR.

Do the 45 passes mean any resolution is essentially 45 times the size in terms of technical overhead?
45 separate views means 45x less resolution than the total panel resolution. There are ways to reduce the rendering cost for sure and there will plenty of continued work going on in that area for many years to come, but manufacturing panel resolutions above 16K is a pipedream for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
45 separate views means 45x less resolution than the total panel resolution. There are ways to reduce the rendering cost for sure and there will plenty f continued work going on in that area for many years to come, but manufacturing panel resolutions above 16K is a pipedream for the foreseeable future.

yeah, this was the problem with the lightfield cameras that you would be able to use take photos for this.

the sensor has to be split into numerous sub images thus substantially dropping the overall resolution, even if the result was technically amazing.
Which meant that no matter how great sensors became, this offshoot of tech would always produce an image 1/64th the resolution of that

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the full vid without skipping. And what i mean is that real holograms (that place you in the world like vr) would make tv's obsolute as you could do ar with it as well. I'm not saying that this tech (of this thread) will replace vr gaming, i say that hologram will. Vr is gimmick as it's not meant to play for long durations. I mean, the most userbase wont use this as main device for playing games or watching movies. Only holograms could change that (which still isnt possible) That said, this tech (like 3ds, but much better) will replace the current tv's. This will be accepted by the global userbase as evolution for replacing the current existing tv's.
The problem of VR being unsuitable for extended play sessions (which isn't even a universal problem now) will have been solved decades before the hologram experience you envision becomes something that's actually tangible as opposed to just hypothetical. I think that advanced hybrid VR/AR kits of the future will be the first devices to give you the experience you're dreaming about now. Nevertheless, VR isn't meant to be a replacement for traditional screens (it is its own distinct interactive medium) so its failure to do so isn't an indictment against it.

Last edited:

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Will be interesting to see if they can miniaturize this kind of display tech in a phone in the future.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I have the smaller 8.9" Looking Glass dev kit. It's really neat, amazing how realistic the 3D is even at that lower resolution. And unlike the 8k one shown in the video, it has a thick crystal area which is perfect for 3D objects appearing as if they are 3D objects bouncing around within that area. Really really hard on processing power - I have a laptop with a GTX 1070 inside, running a Looking Glass app keeps the fan at max speed.

For people saying it's like the 3DS but really wasteful, it's not, because the point is every tiny head motion changes your view of what you are looking at, whereas 3DS just had a single set 3D view. It makes it just a lot more realistic. Also, the "45 views" thing is actually optional - a developer can choose to use fewer views if they want (there's another standard setting for example, 32 views). Fewer views would make the image a little higher resolution, and easier to process on your computer, but decrease the apparent realism because it increases the chances of seeing the image stay at one point of view and then shift when you move your head.

Last edited: