Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, but lets keep in mind that him 'disavowing' them during that stream meant he knew exactly who and what they were before he sat down with them. He was still fine with them building their brand of shit on the clout they'd gain from getting him to appear on their stream in the first place.
Yeah, and Ethan Van Sciver still got "special thanks" credit at the end of the movie.

EDIT: As Froyo Love pointed out, apparently it's out of obligation.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
But that's the 'no true scotsman' argument, remixed. Obviously supporting any movie being released isn't toxic, water is wet. This isn't new ground, fans have been clamoring (and successfully getting) directors cuts particularly in the dvd era till now.

But the point of these discussions is that much of these discussions came from a bad place, and how the general fandom shrugged at it because 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. The irony is many of those hardcore fans are gatekeeping as hell, but I guess gates stay open if the dude sending death threats is doing it to someone im pissed I gave $18 bucks and three hour to?
Those that supported or engaged in that behavior shouldn't be accepted by the fans. That's on the individuals. I take issues with labeling and damning people by groups. Judge them individually. I participated in yesterdays 1.5 mil hashtags and honestly never came across a single one talking threats. YMMV, of course, but it's not as widespread as some are trying to twist it as.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Indeed, but lets keep in mind that him 'disavowing' them during that stream meant he knew exactly who and what they were before he sat down with them. He was still fine with them building their brand of shit on the clout they'd gain from getting him to appear on their stream in the first place.

In the end, these pieces of shit are going to profit a LOT more than they'll lose from him just being there at all... and I think that's pretty fucking gross of Snyder personally.
Wait I think you're jumping some steps here. How does what he said means he knew exactly who they were before? I'm pretty sure I'm more familiar with online culture than Snyder but I've only learned who these guys were during this controversy. You're making connections that aren't really there.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a deflection tactic pure and simple. Charitable donations do not offset toxic harassment.

If someone were to wander into a thread about Gamergate and talk about all the charitable campaigns run by Gamergate and, boy, I'm really going to need to see some receipts that the people donating to Gamergate charity drives were the same people as the toxic bigoted harassment, they'd be laughed off the forum for pulling a Not All Gamergaters.
But there I see a difference because Gamergate was nothing but a hate campaign. That was the goal, there's nothing like a toxic minority because it was all toxic. I'm not sure that can be compared to people who wanted the snydercut

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I think fan base was definitely saying out loud what Fisher was implying, especially since there were some unconfirmed rumors that seemed to back him up. I recall Whedon being thrash on JL set was a major talking point there before 2020. That said, I admit I could be misremembering things.
Pretty sure you're misremembering. Mostly that first part. The fan base didn't care about Ray. They didn't even know the difference between the two cuts until much later. They just wanted Zack's vision on screen. And a significant portion of them were assholes about it.

Ah yes, I'm sure the Media - the avowed nemesis of Synder and all of his fans - are really gnashing their teeth over all of this.
Y know the media's got it out for Zack. The same media that actually gave it good reviews and did multiple feature interviews with him before its premiere.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think there's a lot of entitlement in the whole thing - "this is shit, it isn't the film I wanted, I demand you give me the film I want that only exists in my head, I KNOW YOU HAVE IT"

This leads to toxic nonsense - see also Mass Effect 3's ending or, hell, the sequel trilogy in general.

Sometimes a thing can be bad or disliked and that's just too fucking bad but, sadly, some people find it impossible to accept that because of their own expectations and ideas.

But, I honestly think things like this completely overstate the impact of these campaigns.

If it wasn't for Covid messing with productions and HBO Max launching, this wouldn't have happened. Simple as that. The Twitter campaign would have continued to rage on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the ability to salvage it exists. So many films/cuts/versions are completely lost to time, so a brand new cut is a major deal, but this happened because of lack of theatrical releases, not because of hashtags.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
The article in OP just stumbles over the usual hurdles: in the era of internet mobs, who is responsible for someone brandishing your hashtag or your movement's hashtag and doing something you wouldn't condone? If anyone can make and carry your flag at will to to do anything, who then is responsible for what happens under that flag?

As a person who enjoyed BvS and came to this forum to discuss it, I found the atmosphere here fairly toxic, and you got to enjoy the process of fielding a great number of insults for stating you liked the film. There was plenty of poison spewed in the direction of Zack Snyder and how he was such a hack director and bullshit rumor articles of how he had been fired from Justice League were even published.

Then, we find out that the studio response to Snyder's work enabled a toxic director to create a toxic workplace for the reshoots, practically killing the career of a talented young actor and person of color who may still never recover fully from this studio spat. All to pander to studio management who felt the removing people of color and inserting more sexist jokes was the key to box office gold.

So here's this article from Vox that continues to see only the toxic on the other side of the argument, whatever argument, any argument, apparently.

I mean, congratulations, Vox. People assembled are a mob, with the characteristics of one. Stunning observation.

Well put.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and Ethan Van Sciver still got "special thanks" credit at the end of the movie.

Jesus, seriously? Okay, I missed that one.

Wait I think you're jumping some steps here. How does what he said means he knew exactly who they were before? I'm pretty sure I'm more familiar with online culture than Snyder but I've only learned who these guys were during this controversy. You're making connections that aren't really there.

You think he wouldn't do any research regarding people he was going to be associating with publicly?

Plus, if he didn't know the kind of people he was with, why would he feel the need to disassociate from them prior to saying something about a bunch of asian people getting murdered?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing was just Warner Bros seeing a great opportunity to draw a lot of attention to the HBO Max launch, and everyone participated in predictable ways. Its amazing how easy corporations can manipulate so many facets nowadays, and even crazier how easier it will get as computers get better at data analysis.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Those that supported or engaged in that behavior shouldn't be accepted by the fans. That's on the individuals. I take issues with labeling and damning people by groups. Judge them individually. I participated in yesterdays 1.5 mil hashtags and honestly never came across a single one talking threats. YMMV, of course, but it's not as widespread as some are trying to twist it as.

You really can't judge it on individuals, that kind of completely ignores the nature of the internet. And the problem is that while they 'shouldn't' be accepted by fans, they kind of were. In real life sociopolitical matters the discussion is about how for us to move forward and end bigotry doesn't involve you personally not being (racist, sexist, transphobic) but being actively anti those things because doing nothing is part of the problem

Like look at this post, we've got a critically acclaimed rerelease, a resurgant Snyder, the goal was met. Good job, champagne all around. I don't see what the issue is with a post mortem saying these are points where the movement failed. But we don't even want to talk about that, we want to defend that effectively as a necessary evil, people are trying to 'twist it'. Lots of assholes were involved in the Snyder cut movement and they needed to get called out; instead they got absorbed into the greater ecosystem because nobody cared, and in the dark part of their mind they don't want to admit they feel WB deserved it.

And like it's been pointed out, this is a growing issue for fandoms period (even though people are reacting as if this is an attack tailored torwards Snyderverse fans). We giggled at when that dude effectively crashed a Disney stockholder meeting to gripe about Kennedy because on one hand it was geeky and harmless, but on the other some motherfucker tried to effectively hijack a discussion about a multinational company in a zillion industries about how how he feels an exec is treating his favorite movie series; same toxic energy.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone posting about how it's only because of CoVid and HBO that this really came about are missing the point. It doesn't matter if the twitter mob actually had the power to enforce their demands, what matters is that it validates the idea that they do have that power. Regardless of how unusual circumstances aligned to make this possible, the companies are out there proclaiming "Because you demanded it, we are now going to #ReleaseTheSnyderCut, exclusive on HBO Max, for you, the fans!"

So now you're going to see them trying to flex that power more. The ones who did twitter campaigns are going to campaign more. The ones who harassed are going to harass more. And the ones who issued death threats.... well, you get the point.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Jesus, seriously? Okay, I missed that one.

You think he wouldn't do any research regarding people he was going to be associating with publicly?

Plus, if he didn't know the kind of people he was with, why would he feel the need to disassociate from them prior to saying something about a bunch of asian people getting murdered?

Wait are you sure we are not talking over each other here?
In the stream were he disavowed Geeks and Gamers, the subject was brought up suddenly because a donation from them went up. Snyder got a note from his assistants or something (iirc) during the livestream, and then took the moment to say he was not associated with Geeks and Gamers and didn't approve of their spread of hate (or something like that). I'm pretty sure a controversy of the channel's behavior had reached Snyder recently and the comment was prompted by that donation.

It's pretty reasonable to assume Geeks and Gamers shit was not prevalent enough(from a PR perspective) to be addressed before, and recent events (violence against asian people) changed that. You're free to condemn corporate cynicism for not doing this sooner, but there's no evidence that this was a personal failing of Snyder.

Dec 16, 2017
It's super frustrating that we finally got a movie with better representation across the board and people are equating people who wanted it with gamergate.

Nov 2, 2017
It's super frustrating that we finally got a movie with better representation across the board and people are equating people who wanted it with gamergate.

Representing the Snyder Cut crowd as a crowd who just wanted better representation is basically exactly as disingenuous as representing Gamergate as a crowd of people worried about ethics in game journalism.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
There is a crowd of ultra-online white men fully engaged in the culture war and they often dominate discourse. Gamer gate, SnyderCut, Last Jedi reactionaries, Captain Marvel haters, so on and so forth. They are the same people through and through and it's definitely the same 4chan type (although they may not use the site) crowd that powers the alt-right and Qanon. They twist perception on Twitter, YouTube comments, downvotes, user reviews any way they can and it's pure toxic garbage.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
We had a prominent poster right on this very forum writing essays about conspiracies against Snyder and calling for the targeted harrasment of female and muslim journalists who have criticized Snyder's problematic portrayals of their communities.

We have people right now spamming James Gunn with conspiracies about his SS threatening "the Snyderverse"

So yeah, this was a win for toxic fanbases in a similar way TROS was.

The movie being good after Snyder and Fisher being treated badly as a justice/redemption story is a completely separate matter.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We had a prominent poster right on this very forum writing essays about conspiracies against Snyder and calling for the targeted harrasment of female and muslim journalists who have criticized Snyder's problematic portrayals of their communities.

We have people right now spamming James Gunn with conspiracies about his SS threatening "the Snyderverse"

So yeah, this was a win for toxic fanbases in a similar way TROS was.

The movie being good after Snyder and Fisher being treated badly as a justice/redemption story is a completely separate manner.

And they think that they're slick and we don't see them.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

A new look at Jared Leto "JOKER" from Vanity Fair News

A noxious contingent of followers, though, didn’t just advocate for the movie, but also used social media to attack people who were critical of Snyder or their cause. Maybe they hoped to silence dissenters, or maybe they were just trolls being trolls. In any case, film journalists with negative...
And that's the kind of shit that poisons the well. Rightfully called out and handled. I think the hashtag events can be a positive thing if that's the focus. Positivity. 'Hey, WB. We love this and want more #message' which was 99% what I witnessed yesterday, all day. Unfortunately, there are twisted individuals that think harassment and threats are warranted when they absolutely are not. Its just a movie. Lives and souls are more important. To insinuate that this was all built on hate and threats is absolute garbage, however.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
www.resetera.com

A new look at Jared Leto "JOKER" from Vanity Fair News

A noxious contingent of followers, though, didn’t just advocate for the movie, but also used social media to attack people who were critical of Snyder or their cause. Maybe they hoped to silence dissenters, or maybe they were just trolls being trolls. In any case, film journalists with negative...

Huh, no wonder I had not seen his posts for a while. Not surprised to be honest, his post about Maggie Mae Fish struck me as really bad.