Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Swimming in 7's.

I'll pick this up on sale I think, and when there's not so much coming out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the demo so still on board.
What are the negatives, in general? Someone kind enough to summarise?

The story isn't great, the combat isn't deep enough across the breadth of the experience to really live up to the insane amount of customization depth the gameplay subsystems allow for, and the field maps are largely kind of repetitive outside of the Elemental Vessels.

Performance issues are also a common refrain.

TheCat

Dec 20, 2023
Review scores are useless to begin with but it was expected that this game is just decent to good enough.
And it probably still has the performance problems from the Demo even on a highend PC.

Well still going to play it.
Its just 45€ and probably a good enough time for such a price.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
doops. I'm gonna be honest bro, putting the most negative review first and making sure it's the first thing people see instead of the range of opinions the reviews cover kinda feels misguided. You might want to rearrange the reviews in order of scores so that people don't assume GameSpot's review is the norm and not the outlier.
Kind of odd to ask to suppress a minority opinion because you don't agree with it

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
About what I expected for this series. I love mana games so I've already bought it. These games will always get lower scores for their generic stories and sometimes jarring VA. I enjoyed the combat system in the demo, even if I thought it was slightly worse than trials.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Fellow Member
Imran's review is literally framed by how much love he has for the Mana games, but sure, let's go with this cornball shit

Yes, I'm aware; I read the full review. Punctuating it with how much you love the series doesn't make their conclusion less aggressive or insultingly cynical. That sort of incendiary line is only there for clicks, to be used as a blurb precisely how it was.

Imran can come in here and tell me to fuck off however much he likes, but he knew what he was doing and got reactions accordingly. I didn't insult him.

Λntonio

Jun 25, 2024
The story isn't great, the combat isn't deep enough across the breadth of the experience to really live up to the insane amount of customization depth the gameplay subsystems allow for, and the field maps are largely kind of repetitive outside of the Elemental Vessels.

Performance issues are also a common refrain.
Oh, I see. Thank you.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Yes, I'm aware; I read the full review. Punctuating it with how much you love the series doesn't make their conclusion less aggressive or insultingly cynical. That sort of incendiary line is only there for clicks, to be used as a blurb precisely how it was.

Imran can come in here and tell me to fuck off however much he likes, but he knew what he was doing and got reactions accordingly. I didn't insult him.
Calling it edgy clickbait is supposed to be...not insulting?

I expressed my opinion of the game: there are virtues, but overall I was not happy with it, and my recommendation to people is that your time is worth more than trying to mine those virtues out. I'm surprised I'm an outlier, but being an outlier doesn't make me a liar.

And I'm glad you're giving me permission to tell you to fuck off, because genuinely fuck off for the edgy clickbait comment. How does this board simultaneously have a thread about how reviewers shouldn't be cowed by negative personal reactions to game reviews while simultaneously engaging with reviews like children?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
It's not often I remove a game from my wishlist after trying a demo but it happened with this game unfortunately.

Yeah I played the demo and didn't even complete it. Had the same reaction to Tales of Arise.

Now granted, I'm still getting it, because my wife is a big Mana fan and if she's interested in watching me play, I can power through it.

I think demos would do better to NOT just throwing someone in the middle of a random area. I get the idea of "we want to unlock the full battle system for you" but I was so overwhelmed that I wasn't able to properly utilize everything they were giving to me, and a couple of tutorial screens isn't enough instruction.
Contrast to Trials of Mana demo which was just "Play everyone's intro chapter" which I thought was perfection.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I played the demo and didn't even complete it. Had the same reaction to Tales of Arise.

Now granted, I'm still getting it, because my wife is a big Mana fan and if she's interested in watching me play, I can power through it.

I think demos would do better to NOT just throwing someone in the middle of a random area. I get the idea of "we want to unlock the full battle system for you" but I was so overwhelmed that I wasn't able to properly utilize everything they were giving to me, and a couple of tutorial screens isn't enough instruction.
Contrast to Trials of Mana demo which was just "Play everyone's intro chapter" which I thought was perfection.

And I can tell you for sure, Tales of Arise doesn't get better with the context of the full game. Outside of the graphics, it's one of the worst Tales games I've ever played. Absolutely horrible storytelling and character writing, and the battle system is miserable.

But yeah, the demo for Visions was a poor choice. Like you said, we can see WHY they did it, but the demo is just so disjointed and does such a bad job of introducing concepts that I think it bounced a lot of people off.

Mar 11, 2020
And I can tell you for sure, Tales of Arise doesn't get better with the context of the full game. Outside of the graphics, it's one of the worst Tales games I've ever played. Absolutely horrible storytelling and character writing, and the battle system is miserable.
I quite liked the combat, that said i mostly played as Dohalim and he was super fun to play. The story i thought was really good until the third act and it flubbed the finale hard imo.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
And I'm glad you're giving me permission to tell you to fuck off, because genuinely fuck off for the edgy clickbait comment. How does this board simultaneously have a thread about how reviewers shouldn't be cowed by negative personal reactions to game reviews while simultaneously engaging with reviews like children?

If a child tells me I'm a big stupid head, it doesn't bother me in the least because their opinion on my intelligence is worthless. I guess the idea is that one shouldn't be cowed by people with demonstrably worthless perspectives.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

But yeah, the demo for Visions was a poor choice. Like you said, we can see WHY they did it, but the demo is just so disjointed and does such a bad job of introducing concepts that I think it bounced a lot of people off.

Wife is also a big Tales fan, but the snippet from the demo didn't do anything for her character wise, so we never jumped in. I DO have Arise on my shelf, from a huge Black Friday sale last year or two years ago, I forget, and we'll get to it......eventually.... but it's definitely not a priority.

Huge contrast to still wanting to give Visions a shot. We're cautiously optimistic. I'm really hoping the full game proper eases mechanics in. I know they want to add more flavor to the simplicity of Trials combat. As for the story/chars of a Mana game, we know what to expect on that front so our expectations aren't as high as a Tales game. As long as they're cute, we'll be satisfied.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
For the record, I do really hope people enjoy VoM and I don't care if people agree with me as an outlier. I was disappointed, but if someone thinks it's their cup of tea, I'm genuinely happy for you.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Visions has about the same Metacritic score as the Trials remake, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

That said, the Visions demo didn't wow me as much this time around...I'll wait for a sale to get this one later on.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Several games in this series have stuck with me for a lifetime despite being pretty clunky and not playing all that well pretty much every single time. I just need the vibes to feel right, which haven't been there for me since Legend of Mana, I'd say.

ap_2

Jan 23, 2021
I'll probably pick this up for the sheer mechanical complexity it promises. The RPGSite is one of the few with positive things to say about the controls and combat, so I feel like it may just be a matter of preference. I liked the Trials remake well enough to give this a shot.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a sequel to Trials of Mana Remake. It never looks that good even from the very first trailer, decent at best. I felt so disconnected when people were so hyped about it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Achievement list is up:

www.trueachievements.com

Visions of Mana Achievements

Here is the full list of all 45 Visions of Mana achievements worth 1,000 gamerscore.

This achievement list looks ripped directly from Trials of Mana... thats not a bad thing of course

Also love the "Beat this boss on Hard - BUT - you can just change the difficulty we dont care" which makes me immediately think "fight boss on Easy, but before death change to Hard" lol

Apr 24, 2024
I'm not really sure "mismanaging" is really the way to describe this. Mana has always been an also-ran franchise.

And I say this as someone for whom Secret of Mana was literally their first RPG ever.
It does make one wonder how good the Mana series actually is. I really liked Secret of Mana, which is typically considered the best one. I know the more hardcore would chose Seiken Densetsu III but I often wonder if its Japan only status at the time made it seem more impressive than it was. Legend of Mana was pretty but directionless, Dawn of Mana was considered wretched by most (I didn't play it). Trials was good, but it was also a B tier game. Its like Star Ocean in a lot of respects. I really like a lot of Star Ocean games, but its a B tier franchise. The Divine Force was one of my favorite games of 2022 and it didn't score as well as VoM did.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
As much as I love the mana series, I will wait for a sale, which I imagine sadly won't take a long time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It does make one wonder how good the Mana series actually is. I really liked Secret of Mana, which is typically considered the best one. I know the more hardcore would chose Seiken Densetsu III but I often wonder if its Japan only status at the time made it seem more impressive than it was. Legend of Mana was pretty but directionless, Dawn of Mana was considered wretched by most (I didn't play it). Trials was good, but it was also a B tier game. Its like Star Ocean in a lot of respects. I really like a lot of Star Ocean games, but its a B tier franchise. The Divine Force was one of my favorite games of 2022 and it didn't score as well as VoM did.

Yeah. I love it, but it's almost always been a series carried by its art and music first and foremost.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
doops. RPGFan Review is here! 🍃

www.rpgfan.com

Visions of Mana Review | RPGFan

Now that I have had the chance to play the game from beginning to end and put 30 hours into it, I am eager to proclaim Visions of Mana a paragon of its series.

Quickie card:
GWAS60CXMAACG7m

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly expected closer to 60, having played the demo. It's just so sluggish and uninteresting. The visuals are fantastic, but it can't uphold the entire game. Maybe after the audience gets their hands on it we'll have a more rounded public discourse, but otherwise, as somebody who was excited for the game at its reveal, I'll be passing on this one.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
doops. RPGFan Review is here! 🍃

www.rpgfan.com

Visions of Mana Review | RPGFan

Now that I have had the chance to play the game from beginning to end and put 30 hours into it, I am eager to proclaim Visions of Mana a paragon of its series.

Quickie card:
GWAS60CXMAACG7m
"simplified dungeons" Does that mean they aren't difficult? or that they are linear and maybe uninteresting? I was really hoping for a more difficult game as I found Trials to be very easy. The most difficult part of Trials was keeping your party alive.

Dalamar86

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
That Gamespot review quote seems like a dig at the folks that will enjoy the game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Rip, was interested. Maybe I'll pick it up later on sale then. Too much other stuff right now to go through regardless.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the GameSpot quote:

I didn't enjoy the demo very much, but this is strange framing for a review. Does the IGN reviewer have low standards for giving it an 8?

That's…a weird a hell framing. Kinda gaslighting you into believing the only way you enjoy the game is because you lowered your standards. I enjoyed the demo a lot lol