• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Mann has been set by HBO Max to direct the pilot episode of Tokyo Vice, the drama series that stars Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe. Mann will potentially direct more episodes of the series in its freshman season, and he becomes executive producer alongside J.T. Rogers, John Lesher, Emily Gerson Saines, Alan Poul, Elgort, Destin Daniel Cretton and Watanabe.

Move brings an A-list filmmaker to one of HBO Max's first drama series, and was written by Rogers based on Jake Adelstein's non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat. The drama captures Adelstein's daily descent into the neon soaked underbelly of Tokyo, where nothing, and no one is truly what or who they seem. It is informed by his memoir Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter On The Police Beat In Japan.

Very excited to see Micheal Mann behind the camera again. Dude rules.

Feel like someone at HBO must be a fan of the Blank Check Podcast.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ELlAMKF.gif

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Care to give some links on where any of Adelstein's work has been proven demonstrably false?

I only clicked on the thread because of Ansel Elgort who I'd never heard of until a distant acquaintance had to suffer this shit during an interview

Back to the cafe, though. A waitress comes to take our order. "Is the orange juice freshly squeezed?" he asks, clicking his fingers to an imaginary beat. "Like right out of the orange? Can I bother you for a tiny sample?" She returns with a glass of juice, which he swirls and sniffs as if tasting an expensive merlot. "It's a no from me," he says, smacking his lips and lamenting the lack of pulp. "If it's not freshly squeezed, it's a different drink that I'm not interested in."

Seriously though, any actual receipts on Jake's book would be welcome. Credible sources only. Not expecting much

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully ERA has some Mann stans

Collateral is my favorite movie of 2004 and I think Miami Vice is one of the most underrated/misunderstood movies of the 2000's, and Luck was incredible while it lasted. And it goes without saying that The Insider, Heat, etc are stone cold classics.

Huge Mann fan, even if he hasnt had a hit in a while.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
first off, I hate non-fiction adaptations. They're insufferably dramatized and never believable. Then I come here and see I'm right, the book is apparently dramatized as fuck.

second, Ansel Elgort is horrible. Bad actor but even worse, he's a pretentious weirdo.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Public Enemies 👀

Still need to see Blackhat. Too bad he seems to be in semi retirement. Always liked his stuff.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#1 Mann stan reporting in.

Super psyched by this. Reminds me I need to buy the blu ray of manhunter.

When we will get the DC of black hat U___U...Mann pls

I also reject the idea hes past his prime. I think he has evolved in his own way and is still a filmmaker to follow. His newer films feel more experimental and I appreciate him pushing his own form. Unlike some of his contemporaries who have turned into grandpas and just phone it in (looking at you Ridley Scott).

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is funny i started reading the book this week and was talking just yesterday about having a live action series about the Yakuza.
Crazy.

So the book contains false information, like made up stuff? It does not paint a definite picture of the Yakuza's way of doing stuff?