• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that this being PS4 exclusive is just modern Sega being extremely unambitious and unconfident about their product as usual, with no real moneyhat involved.

Also i'm not a fan of Dragon Engine so far, it's just so heavy and unreasonably demanding, and it doesn't even look that good. The new faces are weird as hell.

Damn, i don't have a PS4 anymore...

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Strange choice in how Akira's face changed (much worse, though apparently everyone's was changed). I see VF5 Vanessa is ultimately still VF5 Vanessa, sadly.

And that UI is even worse than Guilty Gear Strive's. Whatever though, these are all idle criticisms, as I'll probably be like most fighting game players in that I won't actually be playing VF.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to checking it out. Glad it's on PS+ since I already own the BC version on Xbox and revisit it regularly enough.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Even as a PlayStation owner SEGA's platform decisions are baffling to me. Games like Sakura Wars flopped and could really have used a bigger installbase, but it seems nothing has changed.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Honestly both of your options won't matter if the market leader just wants to 'compete' and they show SEGA enough money to just keep it exclusive...

Like for example How Judgement is a Stadia exclusive and is the reason why it hasn't been ported to PC yet...

Money talks and is much safer to assume than just to rest on our laurels and wait for them to clarify it which they will never do lol...

The burden of proof is on THEM and they're guilty of taking money for it until they say otherwise.. because they're so secretive about these deals..

Then people will just be angry about information that may never come out.

I, personally, think it's easier to believe Sega had zero intention of reviving VF and wouldn't have made Ultimate if Sony hadn't stepped in than Sony moneyhatting a niche (but history rich) fighting game to keep it off other platforms.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm sure that this being PS4 exclusive is just modern Sega being extremely unambitious and unconfident about their product as usual, with no real moneyhat involved.

Also i'm not a fan of Dragon Engine so far, it's just so heavy and unreasonably demanding, and it doesn't even look that good. The new faces are weird as hell.

Damn, i don't have a PS4 anymore...

The solution is simple - buy a PS5. Easy peasy.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, using the Dragon Engine for the graphics. That's interresting, however I found the visuals of the base VF5 not much worse. It just looks different?

This is pretty clearly a test run to see if the RGG Studio can handle developing a new VF.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, and I'm hoping Sega isn't using sales as a determining factor, but it's plain as day.

I'll still say it's a collab for a future VF6 so that they can be more efficient - in the past say the PS3 Yakuza engine and VF5 engine were built indepedently. However Sega has been more keen on sharing technology between departments, as you can see with Sakura Wars using the Hedgehog Engine.

RGG Studio is ex-AM2 anyway, putting them back into the fold is a good thing.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
All up in my veins.

Here's hoping that we're getting the fight intros from the arcade back and maybe training and quest modes more like VF4Evo and less like VF5/FS.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Akira: From Chad to Virgin - The Virtua Fighter Sega Saga.

Akira looks like a total whino now wtf.

If the rumour of this being PS+ day one hold true then this is fire. Sonny positioning themselves and EVO to become the defacto fighting platform.
Oh yeah I totally forgot they own EVO now. That is the kind of bridge burning flex I can seem them doing cause why the fuck not. I could see Japanese devs going along with it cause the numbers probably favor PS consoles anyway.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Remade using the Dragon Engine... that's... concerning. Hopefully it means just graphically because I'm not sure I like the thought of them attempting to rebuild the combat engine of VF5 with an engine that has its own share of issues combat wise.

Otherwise, it'll be a nice PS+ freebie. I'd honestly have rather just had a perfect port of 5FS with quest mode added and good netcode.

A engine is nothing more than a baseline set of tools that build a game on top of. An engine doesn't dictate art direction or gameplay mechanics.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Have we heard anything about costume selection? The Type E and S costumes were add-on DLC for Final Showdown, so I'm curious if those are included.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Even as a PlayStation owner SEGA's platform decisions are baffling to me. Games like Sakura Wars flopped and could really have used a bigger installbase, but it seems nothing has changed.

This game will be launching on a platform with 120+ million install base (across PS4 and PS5).

And if it's PS+ (as rumored) a mere one percent of that playing the game would be a smash out the gate.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Sega has past history in basically giving exclusives to Sony for free so I wouldn't automatically assume a Sony moneyhat here. My default assumption with their platform choices is an excess of caution from a company that still operates like its the PS2 era at times.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing - I've waited so long. Looks great with the new engine. Do we know about 4K?

As always, there shouldn't be celebrating when a third party game goes console exclusive. Sucks for xbox and switch fans, the more the merrier.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
own this on xbox but i dun mind playing/buying it again
loving everything i see especially with Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and AM2 handling it
hope i can buy the game cos i dun really wanna sub PS+ , and no microtransactions too for cosmetic content please

OP
OP
flashman92

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Only complaint visually is Jacky's hair looks super goofy and stands out in comparison to everyone else's

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Why should i care a lot when iam the consumer and it affects me negatively? Whether i bestow my 'ire' on any company. It won't affect them in anyway that they stop making games at all or something lol..

And honestly.. its only a slippery path if i was beholden to any company or 'brand'.. you know.. 'if x company does this i won't mind but if y company does it then hell has become frozen'..

The onus is on the company to be not secretive about these deals and not on us customers to wait patiently just so they can tell us how much money they are making over this...
Go with god Ashen.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly both of your options won't matter if the market leader just wants to 'compete' and they show SEGA enough money to just keep it exclusive...

Like for example How Judgement is a Stadia exclusive and is the reason why it hasn't been ported to PC yet...

Money talks and is much safer to assume than just to rest on our laurels and wait for them to clarify it which they will never do lol...

The burden of proof is on THEM and they're guilty of taking money for it until they say otherwise.. because they're so secretive about these deals..

Yes, it's all money.

Companies are guilty of taking software via money. There's nothing secretive about it.

Why do people continue to be perplexed by the behavior that has defined the gaming industry for generations.

If it's not on your platform, wait or go play something else. Literally what everyone else does for any other piece of exclusive (timed or otherwise) software.

The whole hand wringing over exclusivity deals has become absurd to the point of parody.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
All it matters is that a deal was made to make it 3rd party exclusive as the end result and thats what matters... which should be criticized.

Thats a ridiculous statement even by Era standards.

Unless we know the detail behind the deal then it shouldn't be criticized by default. If this has only come about because of Sony backing/funding then what is there to be upset about? If you cant have it on your platform of choice no one should have it? Kinda Pathetic.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Sega has past history in basically giving exclusives to Sony for free so I wouldn't automatically assume a Sony moneyhat here. My default assumption with their platform choices is an excess of caution from a company that still operates like its the PS2 era at times.
If it really is the PS+ game for June then Sega is probably being paid pretty well by Sony.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Then people will just be angry about information that may never come out.

I, personally, think it's easier to believe Sega had zero intention of reviving VF and wouldn't have made Ultimate if Sony hadn't stepped in than Sony moneyhatting a niche (but history rich) fighting game to keep it off other platforms.
Yeah if information like this comes out earlier or at all eventually then it will be much better for all parties unless some actual moneyhat is involved and they don't wanna talk about it...

But how many times have you see these companies talk about exclusivity deals in interviews other than 'we have no plans for these other platforms'?

For these companies its just business and they don't want to come out and say shit that'll affect it in any way..

The most we get publicly is Sony clearly stating how long it'll be exclusive for(which i appreciate).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yes, it's all money.

Companies are guilty of taking software. There's nothing secretive about it.

Why do people continue to be perplexed by the behavior that has defined the gaming industry for generations.

If it's not on your platform, wait or go play something else. Literally what everyone else does for any other piece of exclusive (timed or otherwise) software.

The whole hand wringing over exclusivity deals has become absurd to the point of parody.
That's what we'll do, but it's not like we have lots of 3D fighters to play instead ;(

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad that this game is made, sadly I dont own a PS5 (and who knows when I going to buy one due to scarcity issues) and I will not buy a ps4 again just for this game so sadly I will have to pass

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
I saw earlier posts claiming that Vanessa's original skin color returned and I got excited. Then I check the screenshots and she's still light skin... Hopefully her VF4 costume is in this remake as it was in FS.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing - I've waited so long. Looks great with the new engine. Do we know about 4K?

As always, there shouldn't be celebrating when a third party game goes console exclusive. Sucks for xbox and switch fans, the more the merrier.
And PC players, who seem to always get caught in the crossfire of the silly console exclusivity deals nonsense.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
own this on xbox but i dun mind playing/buying it again
loving everything i see especially with Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and AM2 handling it
hope i can buy the game cos i dun really wanna sub PS+ , and no microtransactions too for cosmetic content please

If it's PS+, you'd be able to buy it straight up, of course…but are you not trying to play it online?

Like you need PS+ for online, so like…

Oct 27, 2017
Another PS exclusive from SEGA of a mostly dead franchise. Good luck I guess....

This game will be launching on a platform with 120+ million install base (across PS4 and PS5).

And if it's PS+ (as rumored) a mere one percent of that playing the game would be a smash out the gate.

Going by this logic every game released on the PS4 should be a smash hit

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's all money.

Companies are guilty of taking software. There's nothing secretive about it.

thank you.
People act like this shit is new.

games even "cheap" ones cost a lot of money to make and like it not these exclusive deals helps on that front.

you don't have to like it but it is what it is and it will only continue in the future with MS buying whole ass publishers. there are tons of games out there to play so you you can wait or just move on.

i only had a n64 and then only a GameCube....so this shit isn't new. You don't always get everything you want. Time to realize that now and save your self the constant bellyache over the next few weeks.