• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017

Key blockchain components for "Cooking Mama: Coming Home to Mama" include:

• Unique Blockchain Private-Keys – Each purchased copy of the game will have unique IDs which will be managed directly through the game's internal wallet storage. Players will be able to focus on Cooking Mama's user experience rather than cryptographic key management.
  • Private-Key Enabled Balanced DRM – Traditional DRM limits the ability to copy games, while private-keys on blockchain protocols allows easy registration. These combined items provide greater proof of ownership to legitimate owners of a game, while also allowing them to resell games both digitally and in traditional retail outlets.
  • Enhanced Multiplayer Experience with Dual Expression – This feature, when enabled, makes every copy of a game subtly different and personal to a user. It utilizes the private-key to change expression algorithms for characters, ingredients and cooking methods.
  • Securing Online Events – For promotional events, player records and participation can be tracked while maintaining privacy. In addition, hashes of the running game can be recorded to ensure the game has not been altered to create an unfair advantage.
  • Digital Assets, Rewards, Recognition – Users will be rewarded with in-game currency (or points, experience, and other items) or earn recognition and certificates. These could be provided by the game, other players, or third parties that host tournaments or other promotions.

um....what?

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Actually kind of intrigued. Let's see if it works before we slate it shall we?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
their claim that this will allow for reselling digital games intrigues me

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
WAIT ok first of all
1) COOKING MAMA ON SWITCH? ive been away from the series too long. Could this be hype??

2) help im a granny and i dont understand blockchains, does this necessarily affect the consumers who might buy this game? how so? WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?

3) is it kinda like peer 2 peer multiplayer or something?

Feb 4, 2018
"Cooking Mama on the blockchain" is the funniest phrase I'll read all year.

Looks like this press release is geared towards potential partners and investors rather than consumers, but it's still sort of bizarre to read. Also of note is that they have the CEO of a blockchain consultancy group on their advisory board and they refer to themselves as "blockchain-powered" so there's likely more of this coming.

Oct 25, 2017
So a blockchain basically records the transactions that each specific unit of digital currency has been traded in, right?

If so, how can you put a game "on the blockchain?" That's where I'm lost.

EDIT: Is it that you can trade a digital copy of the game like you would trade currency and that the blockchain would keep a record of it so that the "owner" of the game could be tracked?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teddified

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this cause I'm just confused as hell what any of this means lol, it's just a bunch of buzzwords.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't know there were two threads. I commented on the above one.
Needs a public, globally distributed blockchain to work, but is a good way to bring digital games as close as possible to physical games.
i.e. can re-sell, trade them just like physical games (behind the scenes, you are just trading access to the game).

Probably can also give value to digital items (skins, cards etc.), and resolve the "loot-box contains nothing of value" issue.

Also, other people are attempting stuff like this: https://enjincoin.io/

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a blockchain basically records the transactions that each specific unit of digital currency has been traded in, right?

If so, how can you put a game "on the blockchain?" That's where I'm lost.

EDIT: Is it that you can trade a digital copy of the game like you would trade currency and that the blockchain would keep a record of it so that the "owner" of the game could be tracked?

Yep.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unique Blockchain Private-Keys – Each purchased copy of the game will have unique IDs which will be managed directly through the game's internal wallet storage. Players will be able to focus on Cooking Mama's user experience rather than cryptographic key management.

Yeah, all this *checks notes* cryptographic key management I've been doing was really messing with my user experience.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
basically, they made buying games more complicated for little payoff in order to be able to use buzzwords that investors love cause they have no idea what it actually means.

Do you actually know what it means?

All this "lol blockchain" reminds me of people who liked to celebrate their ignorance at school.

Firstly, detach the finance/buzzwords/marketing from the database aspect.
If you want to know what a blockchain is, differences between types of blockchain, or what they might be able to do, let me know...

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, all this *checks notes* cryptographic key management I've been doing was really messing with my user experience.

Sarcasm doesn't cover the fact that engineering games around current corporate policy or financial procedures restricts possible interactions.

Currently we have walled gardens, and however much crossplay we get, the game context is restricted to a single game.
Maybe ask what kinds of user experience could be created only via a blockchain?

An example: emergent gameplay in an MMO-like game? Like EVE online, but bigger in scale.
How: An agreed upon standard/structure for item representation on the blockchain.

So, items from different games of other genres, could have meaning in the MMO-like game, because items would be interoperable across games, as long as they are taken into account. Other devs could also access information on existing items, to incorporate popular ones into their games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can resell your digital games with that. And yet here's people ignorant and laughing.

But then in the next thread they're crying about not being able to do just that.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the PR, my fear was they were using your Switch's processing power to mine cryptocurrency, because Bitcoin is pretty much where my blockchain knowledge starts and ends.

But if this means you can trade your digital games...yay? That feels like something which should be system-wide, and not game by game though.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
So, items from different games of other genres, could have meaning in the MMO-like game, because items would be interoperable across games, as long as they are taken into account. Other devs could also access information on existing items, to incorporate popular ones into their games.

That can be done without blockchain.

Moreover, that's not going to happen. Developers won't integrate items from other games, match their own art style and balance it out.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
giphy.gif

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Quoted article is from Feb 13, 2019. What's with this strange Cooking Mama push all if a sudden? Doesn't feel very organic 🤔

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds to me like someone wanted to fund a new Cooking Mama game, couldn't find investors, so they just shoehorned in "the blockchain" to open some pocketbooks.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If you can resell digital games this way, wouldn't that be kinda bad for devs if people could just keep selling along copies of their games instead of everyone buying their own?

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can resell digital games this way, wouldn't that be kinda bad for devs if people could just keep selling along copies of their games instead of everyone buying their own?
I would presume it could be made that devs get a percentage of the sale

I would actually buy far more digital if I had the option to sell the licenses on after completing or sell back for a percentage

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That can be done without blockchain.

Moreover, that's not going to happen. Developers won't integrate items from other games, match their own art style and balance it out.

I can possibly see up to a two or three game collaboration - in specific cases (e.g. Monster Hunter x The Witcher) - without using a blockchain, but otherwise, how else?

This is only a statement. I believe developers won't miss potential marketing opportunities when given them.
Some indie games are in development that are attempting to do this (I know a couple that are in alpha/early access stages), but since they are not 'proven', I'll just say that it is possible.