Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/GnWHsviddZE

A video explaining the big changes for 1.1

I like that the government changes that you can't throw parties into a government that completely disagree with each other.

Treaty port debuff is also nice, so that great markets can't sneak into the markets of other great powers.

Penalties and bonuses to very high/very low wages makes these choices finally purposeful.

I didn't really like that oil and rubber are being made less scarce though, seems to make more countries more samey.

AI is more likely to give up on wars that destroys them financially, good.

UI panels get expanded, but from the first screenshots it doesn't seem as expansive as the mods that are already out there. I am sure the modders will get back on it, but still good for better usability for people who don't stumble over mods.

Overall seems like good changes, but nothing that changes the game too much. Just seems like small changes to all parts of the game, so that you won't notice any big difference in any single mechanic individually.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/GnWHsviddZE

A video explaining the big changes for 1.1

I like that the government changes that you can't throw parties into a government that completely disagree with each other.

Treaty port debuff is also nice, so that great markets can't sneak into the markets of other great powers.

Penalties and bonuses to very high/very low wages makes these choices finally purposeful.

I didn't really like that oil and rubber are being made less scarce though, seems to make more countries more samey.

AI is more likely to give up on wars that destroys them financially, good.

UI panels get expanded, but from the first screenshots it doesn't seem as expansive as the mods that are already out there. I am sure the modders will get back on it, but still good for better usability for people who don't stumble over mods.

Overall seems like good changes, but nothing that changes the game too much. Just seems like small changes to all parts of the game, so that you won't notice any big difference in any single mechanic individually.

The oil/rubber thing is kind of a stopgap until the foreign investment stuff they've talked about, I think. We'll see if it stays long-term.

TBH states are already really same-y. Wish we had more stuff going on in terms of unique traits, resources, buildings, whatever.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
The oil/rubber thing is kind of a stopgap until the foreign investment stuff they've talked about, I think. We'll see if it stays long-term.

TBH states are already really same-y. Wish we had more stuff going on in terms of unique traits, resources, buildings, whatever.
Yeah, the mods seem to do a much better job at that than whatever Paradox has planned for it currently.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
1.1 just went live on Steam. I was waiting for it to drop before getting back to the game but now I'm drowned in new releases. Will probably return to Victoria over the Christmas break.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been messing around with the Great Rework mod. It seems interesting, but some of the balance feels off for less-developed nations.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Enjoying patch 1.2 so far, the autonomous investments is a nice touch along with the claims mechanic where European superpowers won't bum rush colonies to random territories like Northern Hokkaido

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #78 - Update 1.2 changelog

Hello and welcome! Today I will be going through, or perhaps more accurately infodumping, everything that has happened for Update 1.2. Many of you will have already experienced 1.2 in our Open Beta and will recognize many of these new features...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what other mechanics are behind the DLC. Agitators will be free but the exile option is part of the DLC, which seems like a weird aspect to separate out if agitators can have a big influence.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Pretty excited for this update knowing that you can manipulate a sovereign nation's integrity without having to go through war

Hoping they revamp how some laws work too like choosing which pops can or cannot be discriminated, really breaks immersion knowing that cultural exclusion for Japan would give Han more rights than the Ainu at the moment

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
This reminds me to try out 1.2. How is it?

The autonomous investment pool is a cool mechanic albeit the AI will spam arts academies; I personally like it though because it adds an element of painting a clearer picture of how I roleplay based on my population's wants and needs rather than min maxing intelligentsia and trade union politics to a great power

Game still feels like an early access game to some degree but I'm excited with 1.3 will adding more immersion

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
The autonomous investment pool is a cool mechanic albeit the AI will spam arts academies; I personally like it though because it adds an element of painting a clearer picture of how I roleplay based on my population's wants and needs rather than min maxing intelligentsia and trade union politics to a great power

Game still feels like an early access game to some degree but I'm excited with 1.3 will adding more immersion
Thanks for the answer. Anything that adds "realism" is welcomed, might give my Farmer Uruguay playthrough a go before 1.3 then.

This game will probably be amazing in like 3/4 years. The economical aspect felt robust even if flawed, everything else was pretty barebones. Still had a lot of fun on release.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answer. Anything that adds "realism" is welcomed, might give my Farmer Uruguay playthrough a go before 1.3 then.

This game will probably be amazing in like 3/4 years. The economical aspect felt robust even if flawed, everything else was pretty barebones. Still had a lot of fun on release.

I just hope they dont drop it like Imperator. They dropped it in a moment that it actually started to feel like its own unique game. All those patcvhes made it into a quite unique solution that was hella cool and unique.

Tho I guess Victoria felt unique from the getgo unlike Imperator.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Eh I think there's 0% chance that it isn't supported for the long haul. It sold well at launch and has retained a playerbase. I think it was basically always destined to be their smallest title as it's the least war-focused, but I think it holds enough players to keep pushing out expansions.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I just hope they dont drop it like Imperator. They dropped it in a moment that it actually started to feel like its own unique game. All those patcvhes made it into a quite unique solution that was hella cool and unique.

Tho I guess Victoria felt unique from the getgo unlike Imperator.
I'm guessing that sales was the main factor. Should also be easier to drop a new IP than a established one. Unless nobody buys Victoria's DLC, they should keep up the support for many years.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I just am a sad Imperator fan ok. I really like Victoria (and the MP with my Paradox friend group is stupid fun).

I'm guessing that sales was the main factor. Should also be easier to drop a new IP than a established one. Unless nobody buys Victoria's DLC, they should keep up the support for many years.
Ye, I doubt its gonna be dropped.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Looks like the new DLCs after Voice of the People will be Dawn of Wonder and Sphere of Influence. A lot of potential for a Cold War mod with the Sphere of Influence based on diplomacy and hegemony.

France in the new DLC is pretty much the only region with depth at the moment a la CK3's Northern Lords DLC but Paradox's direction with expansions and new free content via patches looks to be promising with or without DLC.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the new DLCs after Voice of the People will be Dawn of Wonder and Sphere of Influence. A lot of potential for a Cold War mod with the Sphere of Influence based on diplomacy and hegemony.

France in the new DLC is pretty much the only region with depth at the moment a la CK3's Northern Lords DLC but Paradox's direction with expansions and new free content via patches looks to be promising with or without DLC.
Dawn of Wonder being an art pack. Sphere of Influence sounds cool.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sphere of Influence is gonna be lit.

Looking forwards to digging into this after work today!

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Not really feeling this DLC so far, it's mainly a point and click visual novel with the journal entries rather than structuring your economies, politics, and population a certain way to get to those events. Hoping the next patch reworks all this, especially with the Steam reviews being mostly negative.

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
Not really feeling this DLC so far, it's mainly a point and click visual novel with the journal entries rather than structuring your economies, politics, and population a certain way to get to those events. Hoping the next patch reworks all this, especially with the Steam reviews being mostly negative.

It's a good step they're not paywalling mechanics anymore - but £13 for a glorified event pack for a single nation is just…what were they thinking? The expansion isn't out til March 24, 1.4 is aiming for later in the year.

I hate to say it but, what on earth have they been doing?

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good step they're not paywalling mechanics anymore - but £13 for a glorified event pack for a single nation is just…what were they thinking? The expansion isn't out til March 24, 1.4 is aiming for later in the year.

I hate to say it but, what on earth have they been doing?
After the launch, it was pretty clear that Vicky wouldn't get any major development team for future updates. Its probably on a very tiny she'll team and I doubt it will ever get substantial reworkings.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think it's the exact opposite - like CK3 it's going to take awhile because the expansion changes are fundamentally huge. They even say that in the DD.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Vicky'll be fine, I think.

Imperator was hugely less popular at launch, and decayed harder in absolute terms. It was also released during the worst parts of the pandemic, which changes the dynamics a lot.

Vicky is gonna take some real work to get into the state it ought to be, but they'll do it. I'm happy to play what we've got now while I wait; it's still pretty fun.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The last big patch didn't spike Vicky player count much, waiting almost a full year from launch for the first big expansion is a long time. I hope Paradox sticks with it.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Started a game in 1.5 and I'm enjoying the overhauled mechanics so far, especially the military updates: Doesn't feel heavily reliant on RNG as previous iterations. The local prices vs national prices do a good job balancing resources to avoid feeling gamey like electricity teleporting magically from Germany to the African colonies

Shoutout to Paradox for their dedicated post-release support

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
There are still some bugs and issues with the military.
Like no way to go to a front in Africa or the US. But if the enemy takes over land, suddenly you have a front and even if the front goes back to the initial front, now the units have no problems going to that front

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I've been playing a lot these past few weeks and the game is in much better shape. The economy is actually functional and local prices are a nice addition to the sandbox that makes factory planning more involved. The grand strategy part of the game is still not particularly interesting, but the economic toybox is fun.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I've been playing a lot these past few weeks and the game is in much better shape. The economy is actually functional and local prices are a nice addition to the sandbox that makes factory planning more involved. The grand strategy part of the game is still not particularly interesting, but the economic toybox is fun.

Excited to see how the expansions tackle the grand strategy aspect of the game, particularly with spheres of influences affecting diplomacy

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
After another 60 hours, I can still safely say that military and warfare is still broken and then some.

- already said it, but there are strange "cannot find front" bugs, even if the way to the front is free of other nations
- you still have no indicator on WHY a front is not getting more battles or why your 200 unit army is advancing with 15 units only (part of the combat width and length of front, but this information is not displayed)
- hilarious diplomatic plays, where nations sway other great powers against 1-unit nations
- another hilarious issue is the "we will fight for you if you give us X" option for players. I got South Africa just by giving my "support" to the UK against a 1-unit rebellion and I did nothing. I got 3-stgates east Africa from the UK against another 1-unit rebellion 2 years later. And another African state from Netherlands while they fought their endless wars against indonesia