• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Reporting by Patrick Klepek:

In a year of COVID delays, Nintendo has announced a handful of games recently, including Super Mario 3D All-Stars (a collection of 3D Mario games), Super Mario 35 (a Mario-themed riff on battle royale), and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light (a localization of the first Fire Emblem). Those are all different games from one another, but what all of them have in common is that Nintendo will stop selling them on the same date: March 31, 2021.

There's not some bulky special edition that's being phased out, either. At the end of March 2021, Nintendo claims they will remove these games from their own digital storefronts. They're disappearing, and so far, Nintendo has yet to provide a fully coherent explanation for what's going on here.

March 31 is the cut-off date for the fiscal year:
So, why March 31? Does Nintendo know something we don't? Is the world coming to end on next year's April Fools Day? March 31 is an important day on the calendar of Nintendo and a lot of other video game companies because it signals the end of their fiscal year. There's a reason many video games that are delayed past the holidays conveniently arrive before the end of March; it's to maximize sales and profits before having to answer to shareholders.

One suspected reason is to create artificial scarcity and instill a sense of urgency in consumers who then feel like they have to go out and buy the products before they disappear
"This strategy is sure to create urgency amongst Switch users to purchase content and avoid missing out on the experience," said Futuresource Consulting gaming analyst Morris Garrard, "fuelled also by the media attention the strategy is already garnering."

Called out in my own reporting? This is a new one.

"Imposing these time restrictions is expected to aid these limited-edition games in cutting through the noise," said Garrard.

One anonymous developer chimed in:
"They have data that shows that rereleases of games tend to wither on wishlists," said a developer who's been involved with publishing several games on Switch, who asked to remain anonymous because they were not permitted to publicly discuss their meetings with Nintendo. "The manufactured FOMO [fear of missing out] helps them get those sales, or so they think."

More at the link: https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgq...-selling-multiple-games-in-march-2021-but-why

Lock if old, I couldn't find a thread that mentioned Klepek's article

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Personal opinion: they will start selling the three games separately this year.

But, keep in mind that I just bought All-Stars entirely because of FOMO.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't get it, it would for sure sell a LOT more with time.
I think their data probably says otherwise.

The main audience for people buying 3D All-Stars probably isn't casual families who just want a Mario game - there's already several more recent ones on the system filling that market. It's mostly older, nostalgic users who want to revisit an old favorite - but might not value that experience at $60. This arbitrary deadline hypothetically forces those users to bite the bullet, rather than wait for a sale.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I would've happily picked it up if it included Galaxy 2.

Hell, I would have picked up a $60 Galaxy 1/2 bundle. 64 & Sunshine just don't have that sort of value to me.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, but you won't convince me that that it's a short sighted move. Nintendo games sell at full price for years, seems dumb of them to cut off revenue.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...no shit. These games aren't gone forever, juice them sales then bring them back solo as download only to pick up the stragglers.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
"They have data that shows that rereleases of games tend to wither on wishlists," said a developer who's been involved with publishing several games on Switch, who asked to remain anonymous because they were not permitted to publicly discuss their meetings with Nintendo. "The manufactured FOMO [fear of missing out] helps them get those sales, or so they think."

That part actually makes sense.
It's even true for VC games, there's some shit I never would have bought for money that's part of the VC service and I probably would have bought some on the last days before the closing of the store.

It's still shitty but I get why that's a thing.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
It's really dishonest. Find it kind of disgusting way of business even if it's a worthy package.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No shit. Do people really think they aren't going to release 64, sunshine or galaxy again in the future?

Oct 25, 2017
Read about a watch from the 70s or 80s this week, only a finite amount ever created. Pre-orders opened, sold out in no time.

Heh, time.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which Disney has given up on and are just putting everything on Disney +.

Maybe Nintendo should consider Nintendo + ?

iirc someone on here in the tech speculation thread mention/hinted that an upgraded NSO is suppose to come this year. Would be hilarious if these were the first games to be on it.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Well they ain't got me. specifically decided not to buy the mario collection when it was announced as timed, don't want to support it and the fomo fades pretty fast

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which Disney has given up on and are just putting everything on Disney +.

Maybe Nintendo should consider Nintendo + ?
They gave up because the home video market largely collapsed, Disney would have kept doing it if they made enough money. There are few indications that would be a problem with video games

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I hope that the other major companies in the games industry do not start emulating this, it's really horrid shit.

Last edited: