• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Made a quick meme:

3nuuu8.jpg

Not even in the same league so please don't "both sides" this

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised it was only 300k. That seems low for a billionaire like Bloomberg.

Maxed out donations for the three different election pools he donated to I think. He's donated a ton more to specific races/local elections in multiple states, this is just his specific donation to different things in the DNC.

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the whole 'donation barrier' makes very little sense in a country where billionaires are expected to run for office anyway. How and why would they ever need donations to get somewhere when they already got all that damn money?

And yes, seeing him rise in the polls while not being in the debates is just plain wrong. At least Steyer is there to stare into your SOUUUUUL
(he really needs to take a media class to look like he's relaxed).

I look forward to seeing how the next debate plays out, but I wish it had been before the Iowa BS-, I mean caucus.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Hard for me to get upset about this. He has no chance of winning and it's free money. Should have gotten more, honestly.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This is conspiratorial nonsense, sorry. Bloomberg donating to the DNC isn't news. And the rules being changed to allow him on stage has been pushed by candidates hoping to squash his rise in polls with debate confrontations has been in the news for over a week.

If you're going to feign that you care about this entire process at least pay attention to the process.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Sure, throw him on the debate stage for him to be an easy target for Bernie and Warren.

Biden will thank him for taking the heat off him for at least a night.

AkimboChainz

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't really like changing the rules mid primary, I don't really think a billionaire like Bloomberg should be required to raise more money to be in the debates. He's polling 4th and at ~8%, so he should have to face the other candidates

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone polling as high as Bloomberg should be allowed to debate and be debated. The donation seems irrelevant to me.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

The Gravel Institute âś”
@GravelInstitute

In July 2019, the Mike Gravel campaign contacted the DNC after receiving over 65,000 unique donors.

On the call, a senior official swore that they would never change the debate rules for any candidate. Six months later, they did exactly that.

Listen to them lie to our faces:

DNC Staffer said:
We wanted everyone to get as many chances as we could and I think it's a very generous set of rules. But I think the broader issue is that we can't change them later on for the benefit of any candidate. Uh, you know that's just, kind of our rule number 1 for us here and it doesn't matter who it is. We didn't change them for senator- for governor Bullock and we can't change them for anybody. That is contrary to what people expect out of the DNC and what we have committed to in terms of running a transparent and a neutral primary.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone polling as high as Bloomberg should be allowed to debate and be debated. The donation seems irrelevant to me.
People like booker likely wouldnt have dropped out had they applied this rule when he was still in. Instead they only did so to accomodate the billionaire giving them money.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The people defending this...just admit that there should be no rules for rich elites who can buy the process and be done with it. Stop tip toeing around it by calling people conspiracy theorists when this literally something that is indisputable.

"Wow the DCCC locking out progressive candidates and being called out by the squad? WHat conspiracy nutjobs those young women of color are"

"The DNC arbitrarily getting rid of their own debate requirements because of favorable donations from rich assholes? Take off the tinfoil hats!"

"The DNC stacking their organization with people to literally reverse the rules just made up from the so called "unity commission" right as an election comes up? Lol yeah sure, like i'd believe that factual thing that happend."

www.politico.com

DNC members discuss rules change to stop Sanders at convention

The talks reveal rising anxiety over the Vermont senator's momentum on the eve of voting.

Wake up for all our sakes.

Last edited:

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I'm so tired of listening to people derisively wade into these discussions with "ugh, more conspiracies? Okay guys!" when it isn't even debatable that the DNC transparently changed the criteria specifically to accommodate Bloomberg right in the middle of the primary, and he only managed to get the support needed to do exactly that because he's a billionaire. There's no fucking evil secret plan here - the secret plan is the public plan. Bloomberg bought his way into this primary and the DNC is going out of its way to allow it. There should be no way this is considered acceptable, period.

Bernie's surging has really made some people teeter on going full on mask-off.

Oct 25, 2017

The Gravel Institute âś”
@GravelInstitute

In July 2019, the Mike Gravel campaign contacted the DNC after receiving over 65,000 unique donors.

On the call, a senior official swore that they would never change the debate rules for any candidate. Six months later, they did exactly that.

Listen to them lie to our faces:

The Gravel campaign? Wasn't that just some well-off teens playing on twitter?

I mean, this is what Mike Gravel had to say about it: "But I'm gonna have a patio campaign. I'm gonna sit on my patio, and see what happens.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people defending this...just admit that there should be no rules for rich elites who can buy the process and be done with it. Stop tip toeing around it by calling people conspiracy theorists when this literally something that is indisputable.

"Wow the DCCC locking out progressive candidates and being called out by the squad? WHat conspiracy nutjobs those young women of color are"

The DCCC is operated by and for the incumbent caucus. Fighting primary challenges is part of their job. It has nothing to do with progressive or not progressive. The squad is gaslighting you on this

"The DNC arbitrarily getting rid of their own debate requirements because of favorable donations from rich assholes? Take off the tinfoil hats!"

I don't care for Bloomberg's candidacy and the rule was well-intended but it makes less than zero sense to punish Bloomberg for funding his own campaign. Instead of throwing out allegations on why they did it, do you actually have any argument on why they shouldn't have?

"The DNC stacking their organization with people to literally reverse the rules just made up from the so called "unity commission" right as an election comes up? Lol yeah sure, like i'd believe that factual thing that happend."

www.politico.com

DNC members discuss rules change to stop Sanders at convention

The talks reveal rising anxiety over the Vermont senator's momentum on the eve of voting.

Wake up for all our sakes.

The DNC members are picked at a local level. There is noone at the top stacking the org with Bernie haters. You want it both ways on this. The DNC is corrupt because 6 members talked about bringing a rule change to the floor of the convention. But it was the same DNC that put the rule into place only a few months ago. Were they not corrupt then?

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I mean the dude's spending hundreds of millions of ads everywhere which is boosting him to 3rd/4th in national polls because low info people recongnize his name only from the ads (I think I hear 5ish ads a day here in Central PA just from the local radio stations). This donation is a pittance compared to what he's paying to get name recongition with low info voters. At least get him on the debate stage so people can see how shitty of a person he is. Maybe that can finally get him to start dropping in polls (at least I hope) and maybe just stop with all of the fucking ads everywhere..

Oct 25, 2017
Then again, the fact that debates and polling start nearly 2 years out is also a disservice to our democracy. January should have been the first round of debates for anyone deciding to join.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the dude's spending hundreds of millions of ads everywhere which is boosting him to 3rd/4th in national polls because low info people recongnize his name only from the ads (I think I hear 5ish ads a day here in Central PA just from the local radio stations). This donation is a pittance compared to what he's paying to get name recongition with low info voters. At least get him on the debate stage so people can see how shitty of a person he is. Maybe that can finally get him to start dropping in polls (at least I hope) and maybe just stop with all of the fucking ads everywhere..

If Bloomberg can convince even one person to vote for him, that would be considered a win for him. The debate viewers represent a group of people who he previously didn't get a chance to speak to directly. So getting on stage is free advertising and an opportunity to boost his message/campaign. Especially since he is skipping the early states (Iowa and NH).