• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Has design by focus groups and vocal minority ever worked out?

I've seen Call of Duty regress from its peak to what it is now, all on the spine of "we're listening to the fans, we love to get your feedback!"

You can make the argument that it's keeping Overwatch in check.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGS4 might have been the worst game in the series, but it was still pretty goddamn amazing. Talking like decimal point deviations in quality compared to the others. And there's certainly an argument for MGSV being the worst Metal Gear package overall despite it easily having the most entertaining gameplay.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
There are a lot of good reasons on why they are right to listening to the players (not only fans), mostly on features.
But don't touch the story.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Spider-Man fans voiced their feedback on the various gameplay demos shown off prior to launch and Insomniac did a good job of using said feedback to improve the final game and make it one of the best games of this generation. IIRC the air tricks mechanic is something that fans wanted which Insomniac added (although I'm not sure if Insomniac had actually planned on adding this in the first place or not). Another one is the charge jump.

I do think it goes both ways, though. I get the feeling that more people are interested in trashing a game instead of providing any sort of constructive feedback that can go towards improving said game. In an age with dozens of different live games, I feel this is more important than ever.

The onus is on the developers at the end of the day if they choose to take fan feedback to heart.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not all feedback is the same. Some feedback are actually pretty terrible but using failed games that elicited bad fan reaction to argue against listening to fan feedback is backwards

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
"Back in the day, it was a given that RPGs didn't look as nice as other games because of the scope."

I wonder when this was exactly. ME1 had great facial animation and it was released in 2007. Non-cinematic RPGs are still a thing today and receive great love.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of understand. It's like in WoW when people were asking for player housing, we got fucking WoD.

This makes no sense because the garrison was not player housing. Players wanted housing based of course on what they had seen or experienced in other games like FF11 for instance. They chose to give us something that didn't even slightly resemble housing at all. It's like asking for a steak and getting turkey jerky.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's always a good middle ground. You want to listen to feedback from fans to see how you could make aspects of your game better, but you also have your own ideas you want to implement.

Fans can be good to listen on improving specific systems and what not. All you have to do is find a nice middle ground where you take fan feedback and use your own creative ideas.

Jun 14, 2019
i think its time more people started actually playing games for fun and stop letting small or minor issues in games put them off the whole thing, or thinking they neeed to fully do every single quest or platinum achievement/trophy a game for them to be happy etc,

i see far too many people accross forums discord servers and reddit worrying too much about achievements or getting full completions in games that i generally think thats what is stopping alot of people from enjoying games and then complain about said game online and put others off.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BioWare's next game, Anthem, looked incredible, at the expense of everything else. It appeared to be a direct reaction to that negative feedback – those viral gifs of goofy character expressions.

It's almost like the author hasn't read Kotaku's article on Anthem. They had no direction for the game at all for almost the entire time it was in development.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine if Capcom didn't listen to fans and instead of 7 and REmake 2, they continued to make over the top action RE games? ewwwww.

MGSV being better than 4 is the consensus though

That wouldn't be true even in this forum. Having a better gameplay is true, but it loses in every other point. Fans like the whole package and not just the gameplay.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
"Back in the day, it was a given that RPGs didn't look as nice as other games because of the scope."

I wonder when this was exactly. ME1 had great facial animation and it was released in 2007. Non-cinematic RPGs are still a thing today and receive great love.
Also there's a big difference between "we had to sacrifice visual fidelity for the scope of the game" and "garbage animations". One doesn't have all that much to do with the other.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not all feedback is the same. Some feedback are actually pretty terrible but using failed games that elicited bad fan reaction to argue against listening to fan feedback is backwards
Even terrible feedback can often have use if devs read it right.

People screaming about how X sucks and should be Y instead could read as "We didn't do a good enough job of explaining X" or "X is good, but the parts in the game where you do it aren't great for other reasons" or "Players want Y because it gives them this feeling. Let's try and get X to do the same."

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Although using EA's output to prop up the author's point is erroneous when you consider EA's behavior and relationship with consumers historically, I mainly agree with the thesis that gaming fanbases have a tendency to amplify toxicity and vitriol to ludicrous levels. Look at how every new Crowbcat video gets revered, nitpicking every small quote or glitch from a game to support a collective takedown that will often target developers themselves (No Man's Sky, Lawbreakers, Bethesda games.) There is merit in pointing out false advertising or blatant lying, but I've always noticed an excessive giddiness when people online lambast these games, as if they were deliberately made to be shitty and the team working on them wanted to trick the people buying them.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Can you imagine if Capcom didn't listen to fans and instead of 7 and REmake 2, they continued to make over the top action RE games? ewwwww.

ywOpPB7.gif

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a balance here. Design by committee or people who don't really make games themselves will not come together well, and often fans will not know exactly what they actually want. Many people are really bad at differentiating between personal preference and critique, and many people will use logic to fix issues such as, "This game does X, why don't you also do X?" without realizing what they're actually asking for because they don't have an accurate perception of the work needed to make X happen.

I don't think the creator is always right either specifically, but I do think because they're trained professionals and have a more unified creative vision, it is much better than design by committee almost every time. This said, fans will know how they feel, what they had issue with, and can report their feelings legitimately. Their feelings are important, and are the player experience. Part of being a game designer is thinking about the user end experience, so getting feedback from a collection of players does allow you to identify and consider further certain aspects of the game which can be invaluable. This said, if you asked each person a "fix" for the problems, or things they'd change, you're more likely to get a large number of uneducated guesses or people inserting their own personal preference.

I do think listening to user backlash isn't always the best thing to do. It is important sometimes, but it's a case-by-case basis. A few examples that come to mind for me was the huge negative reaction to Left 4 Dead 2 and Resident Evil 7, the first because people thought it was needless, while for RE7 it was because it was so different. There's various other examples, and I know some people will have the personal preference that these games shouldn't exist, but the truth is both are really good and they're good because the studios knew what they wanted to do, and went for it. I'm not saying they're flawless of course, RE7 has a weaker last third for example, but there's some amazing things from the team's own creative vision even though they knew fans would be initially upset, but fans don't always know what they want actually (many think they want things they already know they love, and until they try the thing they don't know they want, they won't know they want it).

I also think there's various internalized issues of the development team not listening for example to what is valuable QA feedback, due to their "creative vision". I know developers can't fix everything QA reports, but some will dismiss certain feedback that they should pay attention to for being dismissive of their views and believing a little too strongly in their own vision. These are less reported on because a lot of this is often under NDA's, but there's definitely examples of people in charge not taking the feedback or criticism they should be taking.

There's more to all of this, but just some of my loose thoughts.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Totally correct. The gaming world would be a much better place if echo chambers like GAF, Reddit and this site were set on "ignore" by developers and console manufactures.

Disclaimer: I loved Microsoft's orginal vision of the Xbox One and wave goodnight to my Kinect 2.0, hoping it will respond to my gestures again, like it used to... *sniff*

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I've said this for a lot, in particular for Nintendo as a whole, and for the Zelda series. It is a little hyperbolic, though. I guess a better way of expressing my thoughts on the matter are more like:

"Consider listening to the fans, but don't do what the fans tell you".

In other words, if fans are complaining about something, consider addressing the complaints. From everything, like "I hate weapon durability" to "I don't like the cel-shaded graphics" to even "I want to be able to not have inverted camera controls". But don't listen to the people saying "You should remove weapon durability". If you choose to address a complaint, find a way to make things work on your own.

Last edited:

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
BioWare has a lot to answer for, basically. Mass Effect 3 feels like ground zero for toxic fan entitlement. I'm sure the developer was just trying to do the right thing, but it changed the ending of its game due to negative feedback, bending its creative vision to pander to the baying masses.

I'm not sure about what follows in the rest of the article, but THIS is 100% accurate.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone who says that though paints that statement with a big asterix though.

MGS5 is a great game, it is a TERRIBLE Metal Gear.

No, not at all. Every Metal Gear game was pretty different from the game that preceded it; always trying to innovate. There is no magic formula that makes a Metal Gear game "Metal Gear".

MGS4 was a game that Kojima clearly didn't want to make, and that fact shows itself at almost every opportunity in the story. MGSV, while lighter on story segments, oozes love and care everywhere else.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Although using EA's output to prop up the author's point is erroneous when you consider EA's behavior and relationship with consumers historically, I mainly agree with the thesis that gaming fanbases have a tendency to amplify toxicity and vitriol to ludicrous levels. Look at how every new Crowbcat video gets revered, nitpicking every small quote or glitch from a game to support a collective takedown that will often target developers themselves (No Man's Sky, Lawbreakers, Bethesda games.) There is merit in pointing out false advertising or blatant lying, but I've always noticed an excessive giddiness when people online lambast these games, as if they were deliberately made to be shitty and the team working on them wanted to trick the people buying them.
Yeah the amplified toxicity is awful and it warps reality

Staying on Crowbcat his Switch painful launch video is one of his most popular with 18m views and I saw someone refer to that video as proof the console had a 'disastrous' launch. I was like wat.gif

So even Crowbcat pile on videos sometimes misrepresent public reaction by amplifying the bad parts.

Last edited:

dm101

Nov 13, 2018

I'm guessing the morrowind era. I thought baldur's gate looked great 20 years ago.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I was one of the first people to laugh at Microsoft's vision of the original Xbox One. Digital only? Online only? The cloud? What on earth where they talking about? Yet now, in 2019, almost all my games are digital. I'm always connected to the internet. Sure, the Kinect was a bust, but the rest was genuinely forward-thinking.

Yeah, no. Hardly anyone was against digital downloads, they were against having to check in once every 24 hours to prove you actually owned game discs, and having to trade them into Redbox-like kiosks at stores in order to get any money for them, effectively killing the used game market. Why do so many of these writers ignore the most obvious reasons people are against something and just broadly paint them all as being irrational fanatics?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

It definitely wasn't during the PS1 and 2 because I remember everyone being blown away by pretty much all of the Final Fantasy games, even if they didn't age well.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
ME3 people got mad because a month before the game came out one of the devs claimed that it wouldn't just be a 3 choice ending and your choices would matter. At no point did Bioware or EA correct this. Which also resulted in a better ending and the (IMO) best DLC in the game.
Yeah, these are great points. The hype from Casey up to the release specifically argued against the very type of ending the game ended up having, and while the Citadel DLC was obviously 'fan service', it received lauded reviews from fans and gaming press alike. It's pretty well established now that one, if not the most significant reason for ME3's botched ending were the writers locking themselves in a room and ignoring any feedback from the rest of the team - it was an insular culture within a portion of the development team that resulted in the worst part of ME3, while listening to fans produced the best.

Like others I get the sentiment of 'don't worship fan opinions', but boy this is just a really poorly argued piece for that. Pretty much every example given as a go-to argues for the opposite when reality is taken into account.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't think the creator is always right either specifically, but I do think because they're trained professionals and have a more unified creative vision, it is much better than design by committee almost every time. This said, fans will know how they feel, what they had issue with, and can report their feelings legitimately. Their feelings are important, and are the player experience. Part of being a game designer is thinking about the user end experience, so getting feedback from a collection of players does allow you to identify and consider further certain aspects of the game which can be invaluable. This said, if you asked each person a "fix" for the problems, or things they'd change, you're more likely to get a large number of uneducated guesses or people inserting their own personal preference.

I'm in a similar boat.

In short, there is a difference between listening to the fans and doing what the fans want. I believe the former is essential, but it's up the developers to understand and decide how to tackle those perceived shortcomings of the game.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much the dumbest advice I've ever heard.

"Businesses, don't listen to your customers."

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No, not at all. Every Metal Gear game was pretty different from the game that preceded it; always trying to innovate. There is no magic formula that makes a Metal Gear game "Metal Gear".

MGS4 was a game that Kojima clearly didn't want to make, and that fact shows itself at almost every opportunity in the story. MGSV, while lighter on story segments, oozes love and care everywhere else.

Except for the ending narrative, which every game before it has in spades, sometimes to their detriment.

And it's doesn't really matter why it's not there, but the fact that it's missing and the climax of that game is a bunch of clumsy open ended questions and suggestions that rub up against the history of the series while offering NOTHING new at all is a crime.

Mechanically, MGS5 is the best the series has ever been.

Thematically, it's the worst. The absolute worst.

And that makes it a bad Metal Gear game.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Developers need to know their target audience and design games accordingly. That doesn't mean you take every forum rant and shitpost as legitimate feedback, but outright ignoring your consumer sentiment sounds like an express route to failure or PR disasters (for example, the Diablo mobile cash-in incident at Blizzcon). Take the feedback, filter and process it from your developer standpoint, and act appropriately. The developer's job is to create a compelling product that we want to purchase, and the consumer has no obligation to give the time of day to a developer that doesn't care about its audience.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
They can be though. Focus testing turned Resistance 2 into a generic game whereas the first was so unique. Then they forgot the fans in 3 and made the best game in the series.
Fans aren't the people that are doing focus groups majority of the time. I would blame Resistance 2's issues on chasing trends rather than making the type of game Insomniac and their fans would have wanted.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fans have every right to criticise and voice their opinions of course, but generally I agree that they should never really be listened to by developers to such a large extent. Most of them aren't developers themselves, and no one fan group no matter how numerous or knowledgeable could ever hope to fully represent the fan base as a whole and so it's best to not act as if they are omniscient and/or the sole target audience like they often like to believe, and instead just make what you believe works.

And that's not even getting into the obvious hyperbole, vitriol and just general negativity that dedicated groups often foster. It's just not worth it IMO to go through that just to get genuine feedback from a smaller group.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thematically, it's the worst. The absolutely worst.

Lack of clarity =/= bad, so I don't agree. Almost every plot thread or "answer" to MGS2's questions given in MGS4 is straight-up terrible.

"Vamp is immortal because nanomachines." Okay, whatever. How was he able to walk on water though? "Uh... nanomachines?" ...... Cool.

"You know that big mystery about the members of the Wiseman's Committee? Yeah, that's not a thing. It's just a big AI network now and the founding members are characters that didn't even exist when MGS2 was written." Yeah, not very satisfying.

Snake being old and wanting to die, Naomi being sick and wanting to die, Vamp wanting to die, Raiden wanting to give up but being forced to press on - these are all extremely non-subtle nods from Kojima that he wanted nothing to do with another game that takes place after MGS2.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not for reasons listed but I agree.

Fuck a fanbase.

Fickle and super short sighted.
Your statement is fickle and short sighted.

The relationship between artist and consumer is complicated. And a as a black dude, I would really like if people listened to me and put more not white dudes in things. But that's fickle and short sighted

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Fans don't know what they really want anyway. Just what they liked before.
Check out the top Mario Maker levels and ask yourself if any of those would be shipped in an actual Mario game ever.
It's like that "they would have had me build a faster horse" thing.

Folks dont want to buy games, they can not buy them.
We'd all be fine.
It seems to me often that the "fans" are just the most vocal customers, and by no means a majority.

If they want to send out a survey, thats cool. But none of that harassment stuff I see too often.

I've always agreed. MGS4 is the worst game in series. Listening to fans and then they go ruin Raiden who was perfect in MGS2.

Yeah, I've done a 180 here and realized this as well. Raiden is a genius idea in 2, and 4 is a mess. At the time of 4's release, it was my favorite game, and I thought 2 was a sophmore slump.

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Fans don't know what they want anyway.
This statement confuses me everytime I see it.

Often times fans do know what they want, its just different from the next fan. The idea that for fans to be good is that they need to be some monolith of opinion is fucking naive. Its not how people work , its why data on potential demographics exist.