• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Pikmin 3 Deluxe demo frame rate test showing the framerate/fps on Nintendo Switch.

The version tested was 1.0.0. Footage is from the game running in docked mode.

Docked mode renders at a resolution of 1280x720.

Portable mode renders at a resolution of 1024x576.
o9xPurO.png

Worth reiterating that the game now has splitscreen co-op that can be activated at any time. I imagine that might explain the resolution parity with the Wii U release?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
User Warned: Port Begging
I feel like Nintendo would benefit in supporting PC with their games. Even if it meant late releases it's a shame their games get tethered to such poor performance. Heck make your own launcher or do whatever you gotta do. Games like this in 4k 60 or Mario kart would be wild

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I feel like Nintendo would benefit in supporting PC with their games. Even if it meant late releases it's a shame their games get tethered to such poor performance. Heck make your own launcher or do whatever you gotta do. Games like this in 4k 60 or Mario kart would be wild
Pretty sure doing so would make people stop buying their consoles, so they will never do that

Oct 25, 2017
if i were a betting man, the post processing effects like the DOF, and probably their water and other translucent effects, likely destroy the tegra x1's framebuffer bus

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the Wii U version technically pushing 720p on the TV PLUS 480p on the Gamepad screen? What are we doing here?

Oct 25, 2017
Splitscreen? That doesn't make sense, why not just drop the resolution when splitscreen is activated instead?

I think the more accurate reasoning is they know they don't need to worry about improving these ports to make bank.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So I'd be better off running the original in Dolphin Cemu, is that what I'm hearing?

EDIT: I guess more research is required, seems like the game runs decently in Cemu these days but the touchscreen stuff might be a little weird. That's what I get for making a quick snarky comment!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They had all that in Mario Kart deluxe and arguably it pushes more polygons. It runs fine at 1080p/60.
this is less to do with polygons, and more to do with just number a times a single pixel is written to over the course of rendering a frame. i haven't seen a frame breakdown of either game, but it wouldn't shock me if pikmin 3 is using some techniques that made more sense on TEV. it's all speculation on my part fwiw.

edit: i keep forgetting that this is 30FPS not 60. It's less likely to be what i'm saying given that.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
like why bother releasing these ports if they're this bad.

Okay I get it, people will buy them up anyway.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I wonder if a lot of the first party games having weird/underwhelming/not great performance is due to the Switch's weak hardware or ineptitude in HD development. They were six years late to the HD party and talked about how much they struggled with that adjustment, but it's been eight years and we're getting ports of old games running at 720/30 in 2020. It's super weird and disappointing. Remember Kirby Star Allies running at 30 when the 3DS games ran at 60?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's, uh...bizarre. Glad I'm sticking with the Wii U one. I refuse to support Nintendo's remasters anymore if I already have the game or have played it (though, at least they've added a decent bit to this one content-wise).

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Pc is a non competitive platform
You must be really naive if you think that putting their games on PC wouldn't be the worst possible decision they would do, the point of buying Nintendo consoles is to play Nintendo games, being able to play Nintendo games on PC means there is no reason buy them since you can get all games on PC, that way you wouldn't buy anything from their store where they get also a cut since you could get them for cheaper on PC

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I'm still buying an XSX despite the fact that I'm buying a 3080/3090 and pay for gamepass.

Nintendo would do fine if they put their games out on PC.

Then again, it's Nintendo...
Sony and Microsoft have other ventures that make so much money, Nintendo doesn't, making games available on PC means no reason to get a Nintendo console which mean no buying anything on the eShop since you can easily get it from other stores like Steam which means so much revenue would be lost

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
lmao well my gf and I played the demo co-op and I thought the game looked great but okay

Aug 12, 2019
I feel like people are kind of unfairly criticizing this title for a general resentment of the Wii U ports and not necessarily on its own. Now I agree, the resolution is bad (keep in mind though, the Switch isn't THAT much more powerful than Wii U, so we're not gonna be seeing 1080p 60 FPS all of the sudden either), but this does seem to be one of Nintendo's better ports from a content perspective (at least in comparison to DKC: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, and several others). Including the 3 DLC packs, plus additional new story content, a variety of additional main game settings like difficulty options, and the Piklopedia is a big deal in terms of Pikmin content for the fans. I do agree it should have been 1080p docked, 720p handheld by all accounts, but everything else in this port is fair enough I think (and it's a fantastic game at least).

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Not a deal-breaker for anyone who hasn't played this wonderful game, but WOOF for those looking for a definitive version replay. Switch Pro when?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to expect nothing, so this definitely tracks. Seems like it's similar to that Yoshi game.

Sony and Microsoft have other ventures that make so much money, Nintendo doesn't, making games availbale on PC means no reason to get a Nintendo console which mean no buying anything on the eShop since you can easily get it from other stores like Steam which means so much revenue would be lost

Right. Everyone will just jump ship from the most economical and accessible platform with one of the most desirable form-factors since the DS to the one that's significantly more difficult to get into, notably less user-friendly and more expensive.

Imagine my eyes rolling out of my brain and onto the floor.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Right. Everyone will just jump ship from the most economical and accessible platform with one of the most desirable form-factors since the DS to the one that's significantly more difficult to get into and more expensive.

Imagine my eyes rolling out of my brain and onto the floor.
I mean telling people that now you can buy Nintendo games and play them on PC would seriously do that, why do you think that Nintendo Emulators are always the ones that have the most worked on?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All because no one bought the Wii U. The price to pay.

At least I was right in thinking undocked was between 540p and 720p? Eh???????