ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It was okay. Some of the CG shots looked bad though. And the scene at the end is awful. Coupling a murderous monster - and a bored Tom Hardy - with awful jokes doesn't work.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Kind of just made me feel like I'd rather have a The Darkness film. The tone of this whole film seems all over the place and it keeps trying to walk the line between gritty dark and being every other superhero movie (at least that's my impression from the trailer).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This looks so , so bad. I thought I needed to get my ears checked this morning but I see I'm not the only one who thought the dialog was hard to understand. Wtf were they trying to do here? I hope this is one of the last Marvel properties that gets this treatment.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
They blew it on day one by trying to adapt Brock without Parker. Flash Thompson is the best character to tell a Venom story with Spidey absent, and even then it's not really advisable because Flash isn't really who he is without Pete either.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
That was super uneven. Most parts looked really generic while some parts looked really great. All in all the movie reminds me of:

5lTfTA2l.jpg

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
They blew it on day one by trying to adapt Brock without Parker. Flash Thompson is the best character to tell Venom story with Spidey absent, and even then it's not really advisable because Flash isn't really who he is without Pete and Spidey either.

And neither is the symbiote.

It's just an inadvisable movie all around.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Nothing in these trailers screams anything more than PG-13, though I'll love it if they drop a sudden redband trailer with Eddie literally tearing fools apart and eating brains.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this looks bad.

I do not remotely understand the voice that Tom Hardy is going for here. It sounds like he is trying to parody something and I can't put my finger on what it is.

Yeah... Like with his Bane voice. It's like people are too afraid to tell him, "hey, uh, what the hell is that voice you're doing?"

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Typical venom thread. I am just glad that the movie looks like it is going to end up making a bunch of money and Sony is going to make more of these movies.

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
Day One. I love Venom and I know this will be a violent and action packed movie despite not having my friendly neighborhood spider-man in it....

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
And neither is the symbiote.

It's just an inadvisable movie all around.
Daniel Way is kind of trashy, but the basic idea in his run which is turning the symbiote into Carpenter's The Thing isn't the worst. So that's another way they could've done it I guess, but we don't really live in a world where we're starving for The Thing ripoffs.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks really good. I don't really understand the complaints about it being "uneven", etc, etc but I expected people to complain about almost everything before I even opened the thread. To each their own, but it sounds like a lot of reaching. I also don't mind the "turd in the wind" line. It is something Venom would've said in the comics, so it fits here.

My only concern from that trailer was the voice of Venom was a little too hard to understand at times. But I think they can still work on that before release. I think Venom looks almost perfect, all things considered. All the symbiotes shown look fantastic and I'm really excited for this.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so awful, can't wait.

LIKE A TURD IN THE WIND

It's going to be PG13

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I'm gonna need subtitles for this, can't understand half the things Venom is saying in the full costume scenes. Hopefully they turn down the voice modulation just a wee bit based on feedback.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I think it looks really good. I don't really understand the complaints about it being "uneven", etc, etc. I also like the "turd in the wind" line. It is something Venom would've said in the comics, so it fits here.

My only concern from that trailer was the voice of Venom was a little too hard to understand at times. But I think they can still work on that before release. I think Venom looks almost perfect, all things considered. All the symbiotes shown look fantastic and I'm really excited for this.

It's a super serious/dark-ish trailer that throws in two jokes after the trailer ends. The 25 seconds does not match the 3 minutes we've been shown before.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Acting? Good special effects? Visuals that differentiate the two goo monsters so you know what's going on? Doesn't matter, it has 'splosions.
What level of acting are you looking for in a popcorn action flick. I grew up on 80's action movies and those guys were not that hot of actors. They said little and let the guns and knuckles do the talking.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly loved Hardy's Bane voice and while I don't care for this one, I can understand it. I'm wearing headphones though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Is this pg-13 or what? I've heard nothing about it being r. I wish it was.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
What level of acting are you looking for in a popcorn action flick. I grew up on 80's action movies and those guys were not that hot of actors. They said little and let the guns and knuckles do the talking.

OK and I'd be fine. Hardy is not good, sim-bye-oat needs to be addressed from that woman.

I just watched Predator and Alien/s for the first time a couple weeks ago, I never once felt they were nearly as "not good" as Hardy in this and Arnold was foreign.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I understood what Venom was saying perfectly. Same with Bane in the Rises preview before they changed his voice.

Is there some sort of scientific reason some people have trouble making out distorted dialogue and others don't? Is it like the Yanny and Laurel thing?

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I hope it's like Little Shop of Horrors where he just straight up eats people. No gore, just legs kicking as he swallows them whole. :D

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer has 92k likes to 1.7 dislikes. You wouldn't know that going by this thread

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue what to make of this. My personal theory has always been everyone involved signed an x-number of films contract with Sony years ago and this is their last movie.

They're certainly nailing the "Venom's a bit of a jerk" angle for sure.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I understood what Venom was saying perfectly. Same with Bane in the Rises preview before they changed his voice.

Is there some sort of scientific reason some people have trouble making out distorted dialogue and others don't? Is it like the Yanny and Laurel thing?
It's called not co-signed by Feige, so it puts a film of filth over the trailer.

I didn't even have the volume turned up and heard it just fine myself.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
It's a super serious/dark-ish trailer that throws in two jokes after the trailer ends. The 25 seconds does not match the 3 minutes we've been shown before.

And if they didn't, people would complain it was too dark and super serious and there was no light side or humour in it. I don't seem to recall this kind of criticism to some of the Infinity War trailers when after they were talking about scary Thanos was and then BAM a stupid joke from Star Lord right after! That movie turned out alright after all...