• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I thinks it's the 90s cartoon nostalgia, everyone grew up on that cartoon and the venom arc was among the best ever for us as kids.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
When I watch a movie where very few scenes are full of white men calling all the shots and propelling the story, I consider that movie diverse.

There can't and won't be one great stride to the ideal outcome. The industry still has a long way to travel and I see absolutely no use in ignoring the way life usually works and shrugging at concrete steps in the right direction.

But other genres are doing far far better than superhero films, hell when even video games are doing better than you, you know you're in a bad spot when it comes to diversity. I really don't want to call the bare minimum "diversity".

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
1 black dude and 2 girls at work said they loved the film, plus several people in my close friends group are all eager to go see this. we're all latinos.

i was pretty shocked, gonna have to go see this tomorrow with my friends against my better judgement.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
1 black dude and 2 girls at work said they loved the film, plus several people in my close friends group are all eager to go see this. we're all latinos.

i was pretty shocked, gonna have to go see this tomorrow with my friends against my better judgement.

I'll probably see it a second time. The humor in the movie is great. I would agree that the villain could have been a lot better but it's a great start for Venom.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I am a Latino who has yet to see the movie, but is excited to witness a fun mess featuring Tom Hardy as Venom.

Also, I just watched Spider-Man 3 for the first time, and all the people who said it is underrated were 100% correct.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Serious question.

When you buy a ticket in a cinema in america do they ask for your race?

No they dont. Do they?

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Is Venom like JW Fallen Kingdom bad but fun, or like a Paul W.S. Anderson Resident Evil bad but fun, for example? What's the closest bad but fun movie analogy? I'm guessing it's not The Room or Neil Breen bad but fun.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised that my 10 year old daughter enjoyed the movie as much as she did. We got home and she started drawing Venom right away. Somehow with her, Venom is up there with Alice Angel/Bendy and Five Nights at Freddie's characters, other characters she likes to draw a lot.

Is Venom like JW Fallen Kingdom bad but fun, or like a Paul W.S. Anderson Resident Evil bad but fun, for example? What's the closest bad but fun movie analogy? I'm guessing it's not The Room or Neil Breen bad but fun.
I haven't seen JW Fallen Kingdom as I really didnt like Jurassic World, so would say it is like the Resident Evil films. Dumb, but has enough going on and is consistent enough that you watch it and enjoy it. There are a lot of flaws with the movie, but it comes together just enough to be fun, with random scenes throughout that keep you wanting to see what dumbshit they might do next.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted add my money from sheer curiosity today, but OF COURSE the theatre is showing this in 3D only, making it 8,50€ instead of 5,50 AND, you know, shitty 3D. Urgh. Clever trick for "Cinema Thursday".

Nov 18, 2017
How are they getting such accurate numbers on which ethnicities are going to the cinema? Cineworld just ticking a tally chart against each race?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted add my money from sheer curiosity today, but OF COURSE the theatre is showing this in 3D only, making it 8,50€ instead of 5,50 AND, you know, shitty 3D. Urgh. Clever trick for "Cinema Thursday".
That's really weird, my local cinema doesn't have any 3D screenings of it. I didn't even realise there was a 3D version of the film.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I thinks it's the 90s cartoon nostalgia, everyone grew up on that cartoon and the venom arc was among the best ever for us as kids.
I keep seeing this and like shit, it's not just 90's children, it's the adults and teenagers who read the comics that are like "yes, this bad ass who wants to eat brains is getting his own film"
Venom-101-Comic-Article-pic-4-Brooklyn-Comic-Shop.jpg

I'm sure having an actual monster as a super-hero movie come out around Halloween helps as well.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I wish. I doubt post-proc 3D helps with the CGI and 3D glasses with an already dark setting.

I want to see it, though.
So I had another look, the only showings the cinema I go to has in 3D are the ones in the 4DX seats. Bizarre, usually they're force feeding everyone the full 3D IMAX for every film.

Oct 27, 2017
Lessee, a heavily marketed "event" film that dropped in the middle of the autumn downtime with no major competition. Of course it was going to do well.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Lessee, a heavily marketed "event" film that dropped in the middle of the autumn downtime with no major competition. Of course it was going to do well.
It still set a record for a film released at this time. There is definitely something worth trying to unpick in why the film did well with the audience it brought in.

Personally I really enjoyed it. I think Paul WS Anderson is a good reference point. It said nothing at all. There was zero depth. But it was funny and exciting and different. Tom Hardy put in a really great performance and I hope he isn't pissed off at the final product so much he doesn't come back.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
So I had another look, the only showings the cinema I go to has in 3D are the ones in the 4DX seats. Bizarre, usually they're force feeding everyone the full 3D IMAX for every film.

Found another showing in a (much bigger) theatre for 5 and 2D even though their cheap day is Wednesday. Huh.

45 min train ride, but maaaybe I'll go.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Did people like it? Was it good? I suspect critics were spot on about the movie being dogshit

It's a surprisingly good film, imo. Nowhere near as bad as the critic score sould suggest.

My mum invited me to see it with her (her second viewing because she has a crush on Hardy) and insisted on paying for my ticket or I would have skipped it, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Hardy was clearly having a great time and it came across on-screen, there were some genuinely funny moments, and the Brock/Venom relationship was really well done.

A sequel that irons out the issues, has a more compelling villain and better pacing, more/better use of Venom/Brock could actually be very good.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's a surprisingly good film, imo. Nowhere near as bad as the critic score sould suggest.

My mum invited me to see it with her (her second viewing because she has a crush on Hardy) and insisted on paying for my ticket or I would have skipped it, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Hardy was clearly having a great time and it came across on-screen, there were some genuinely funny moments, and the Brock/Venom relationship was really well done.

A sequel that irons out the issues, has a more compelling villain and better pacing, more/better use of Venom/Brock could actually be very good.

Dislike saying it, but this was one where I feel like critics wanted to jump on it due to the advertising and initial hate train going. It's not F4 or BvS levels bad. It's around phase 1 for Marvel.