• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Oh no Scott what are you doing, the belt is set to automatic, all you had to do was sit there and watch. Stop trying to be a creative.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah that sucks!

MV5BMTkzMDczMjUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY1Njk5Mg@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
This hurts me.
FUCK. This will never happen but it'd be amazing.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the world could not handle a GDT Doctor Strange movie

could never see Del Toro working within Marvel's general structure either

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel hasn't had an issue like this in years (think the last time was Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man in 2014?), weird to see this happen again.

tbh I thought Dr. Strange was one of the weakest Marvel films of the last 5 years and I was never crazy about Derrickson as a director so there's potential for an upgrade here. Guess we'll see.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I love people just assume this guy was a well of fresh ideas that were too adventurous for Marvel lol. He might have just had bad ideas so they parted ways.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna echo a lot of people here and say this isn't exactly a huge loss, but I think he deserved to have his duo.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
it's clear they don't want director's with a terrible amount of creative control. this happened w/ ant man as well.

eh, I don't think that's super fair considering a guy like Gunn has a ton of sway and control over his stuff

I think it varies on how much trust they have in the given director

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Doctor Strange 1 was average and Scott Derrickson is a bland director. Could be a red flag but we could also get a Taika level director so who knows.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if I didn't love the first movie, I was looking forward to a sequel that actually let the director loose. The two best sequences were some of the best things I've seen in a long time, so I had a lot of hope.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
it's clear they don't want director's with a terrible amount of creative control. this happened w/ ant man as well.
A lot of Marvel's creative difference disputes happened under Ike Pearlmutter though. Since the directors working with Marvel have been talking about their positive relationships with the studio and down. That's what's so odd about this, it's the first time a director has left while Feige has been totally at the helm.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what did he expect going in? The mcu is all about continuity and things have to be timely.

Filmmaking is also about compromising, even if you have full creative control. Derrickson is well aware of all that, as are all directors. There was probably something much bigger than a release date creating tension. Could be a lot of things really, especially this close to production. Sometimes the pressure just gets to people.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Marvel hasn't had an issue like this in years (think the last time was Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man in 2014?), weird to see this happen again.

tbh I thought Dr. Strange was one of the weakest Marvel films of the last 5 years and I was never crazy about Derrickson as a director so there's potential for an upgrade here. Guess we'll see.
I mean this is nothing compared to the Guardians 3 situation. Directors leave projects all the time, just that Derrickson and Feige's individual divergent statements kinda starts to paint a picture.