• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tbh I never really understood why Gunn's music selections for GOTG were considered so radical by some (and likewise did not understand why the Marvel committee gave him such shit for it on the first movie). Directors use 70s music *all the time*. Spirit in the Sky, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Mr. Blue Sky...these are not out-of-left-field choices :lol
Exactly, great songs super but obvious choices

OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I never really understood why Gunn's music selections for GOTG were considered so radical by some (and likewise did not understand why the Marvel committee gave him such shit for it on the first movie). Directors use 70s music *all the time*. Spirit in the Sky, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Mr. Blue Sky...these are not out-of-left-field choices :lol

It's not like his music choices were very obscure though. Especially with two movies as reference, it's extremely easy to just recreate his style of soundtrack.

Just look at a bunch of old 70's and early 80's US Billboard Top 100 hits, maybe have them connect to the plot in some way (GotG 1 didn't really do this, but every song in GotG Vol. 2 was plot-related) and you're done.

Yea, but they fit so well with the scenes and the tone of the films. Sure, other films have done them as well so but no other MCU movie has done a soundtrack with popular songs as well as the GotG movies, imo. Anytime I think of specific scenes, the songs come to me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the new director lets Gunn in on the music choices/soundtrack. That was all Gunn.
It's not like his music choices were very obscure. Especially with two movies as reference, it's extremely easy to just recreate his style of soundtrack.

Just look at a bunch of old 70's and early 80's US Billboard Top 100 hits, maybe have them connect to the plot in some way (GotG 1 didn't really do this, but every song in GotG Vol. 2 was plot-related) and you're done.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
At this stage. I wonder if they wanted to boot him for a while and this is their paper thin excuse to doit.

That's not really likely tbh

If they wanted to replace him they'd just replace him, doing it this way is super messy and looks like they're gonna have to eat a multi-million dollar contract buyout

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know, 2 was clearly worse than 1, Guardians in Infinity still felt like Guardians. A new director using Gunn's script as guide while doing is own thing has more chances of it being good imo.

We'll see !

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It sucks but was i expected to happen, hopefully they keep the script mostly intact. I wonder who and how long it take to get a new director

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, but they fit so well with the scenes and the tone of the films. Sure, other films have done them as well so but no other MCU movie has done a soundtrack with popular songs as well as the GotG movies, imo. Anytime I think of specific scenes, the songs come to me.
Sure, but because he only used very popular songs (in the US at least), he's probably very easy to imitate when it comes to music selection. Now if they had to replace for instance Edgar Wright (another director well known for his music choices) after him already directing two movies, that would be far more difficult when it comes to music, since he very specifically uses music that he liked and that isn't necessarily popular. Baby Driver for instance had a lot of very obscure songs and singles from the 60's and 70's that no other director would've even thought of.

The director they're going to hire will probably specifically be hired to ape Gunn's style to make Vol. 3 not stand out in the trilogy for the people who don't know about this behind the screens fiasco (of which there are a lot), so I would guess the use and selection of music is a pretty high priority.

OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but because he only used very popular songs (in the US at least), he's probably very easy to imitate when it comes to music selection. Now if they had to replace for instance Edgar Wright (another director well known for his music choices), that would be far more difficult when it comes to music, since he very specifically uses music that he liked and that isn't necessarily popular. Baby Driver for instance had a lot of very obscure songs and singles from the 60's and 70's that no other director would've even thought of.

The director they're going to hire will probably specifically be hired to ape Gunn's style to make Vol. 3 not stand out in the trilogy for the people who don't know about this behind the screens fiasco (of which there are a lot), so I would guess the use and selection of music is a pretty high priority.

The search for a new director is gonna be interesting. Curious who will take this on.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know, 2 was clearly worse than 1, Guardians in Infinity still felt like Guardians. A new director using Gunn's script as guide while doing is own thing has more chances of it being good imo.

We'll see !

I kinda think so as well. Plus the actors know their characters at this point, so the director is considerably less important with a script and seasoned actors already in place. TV changes directors all the time without having the series flip-flopping in quality on a regular basis. Not exactly the same of course, but I think people are overvaluing James Gunn in this instance. The movie will be fine. Hell, it might be better with some fresh blood in it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I...I don't even like the MCU, but claiming that it's future is ruined is extreme. Hasn't Feige done a great job overseeing a multitude of directors on the various properties?

Gah, I feel dirty even typing that.

Fuck him. If he won't stand up for his talent, he's just as complicit in this as Alan Horn. Fuck them both.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda think so as well. Plus the actors know their characters at this point, so the director is considerably less important with a script and seasoned actors already in place. TV changes directors all the time without having the series flip-flopping in quality on a regular basis. Not exactly the same of course, but I think people are overvaluing James Gunn in this instance. The movie will be fine. Hell, it might be better with some fresh blood in it.

Artists matter. The property will be fine, but I was interested in Gunn's perspective. His stamp is what's interesting. It's like saying, "I'm sure someone could paint like Picasso, we don't really need him anymore". Style can be copied or imitated, the unique perspective is the point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't really how acting works. Even good actors who know their characters need a good director to shine.

Oct 31, 2017
Why would MCU fans harass the new director?

Because the GotG have been Gunn's baby and before this shit everyone wanted to see him finish it.

ANY new director is going to have a hill to climb but getting a non-Waititi POC and/or woman to take the helm is basically asking them to fall on this sword because they're very likely to get crucified by modern geek culture

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You just wait until that 90's Captain Marvel movie, we going back to the best music

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
As director of those scenes?

I don't know. I remember he posted about reading the script and being involved in some form though.

It takes a good director to bring the quality though for sure. I hope they get someone who doesn't want to make a crazy amount of changes to the script and overall can't direct something with the sort of tone these movies have.

OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Interview with the screenwriters.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-war-changed-a-guardians-galaxy-scene-1106320

You both are a big reason why Captain America is relevant and popular today, beyond comics. And in a very similar way, Guardians of the Galaxy writer-director James Gunn is the reason people care so much about the Guardians. What sort of conversations did you have with Gunn about where his characters would go in this movie?

Markus: James' contributions were primarily voice-related, to make sure that we are not rolling out people who bear no resemblance to people in the preceding Guardians movies. He was on board everywhere we were taking them. He adjusted one choice in the movie that didn't really affect how the movie played, but it affected character a little bit. It was a very interesting choice, and first we wavered on it, and then [Guardians star Chris] Pratt backed him up. And we acknowledged, if anyone knows these characters, it's them.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Expected.

I also think Feige would have been in town for the meeting if he really wanted to champion Gunn.

Oct 31, 2017
Actually, I bet the same trolls who got Gunn fired will be there to harass his replacement.

Without question; those same people who campaigned to have Gunn fired would switch gears to harass his replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if many potential directors aren't interested in the job out of respect to Gunn, the cast's wish to have him back and the self preservation of not getting involved in this mess

Who wants to complete another auteur's personal trilogy when Marvel literally has thousands of characters for a writer/director to "make their own" anyway?

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really how acting works. Even good actors who know their characters need a good director to shine.

Sure. But they don't necessarily need a great one. At this point the chemistry should come naturally and they've become quite good at being those characters. That goes a long way. They don't need a director to tell them how Starlord will react in a given circumstance because Pratt knows Starlord well and how he'd react. On top of the script, that's a lot. To be sure, a different director will change things, but as long as that director is willing to listen to the actors, it's not the end of the world.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys played yourselves into thinking there was a good chance of Gunn's reinstatement. Dude was always gonna stay gone once fired over those tweets. Disney can't have that.

The movie will be the same shit regardless of who directs it (Marvel's a machine), especially if the script is the same... and 99% of you (including Zatt) will see it anyway.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You guys played yourselves into thinking there was a good chance of Gunn's reinstatement. Dude was always gonna stay gone once fired over those tweets. Disney can't have that.

The movie will be the same shit regardless of who directs it (Marvel's a machine), especially if the script is the same... and 99% of you (including Zatt) will see it anyway.

You haven't seen Marvel movies in a very long while if you believe they're all homogenous.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

You know these movies aren't that great, right? Like, they're fun popcorn shit but they add nothing to cinema. It's real easy to miss them. I've never seen Ant-Man or Ant-Man 2, and it'll be real easy to bail on this one now that Disney's revealed its true, shitty face once again.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Too bad. I would have seen it in theaters just to hear the loud roar when Gunn's name popped up in the opening credits.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. But they don't necessarily need a great one. At this point the chemistry should come naturally and they've become quite good at being those characters. That goes a long way. They don't need a director to tell them how Starlord will react in a given circumstance because Pratt knows Starlord well and how he'd react. On top of the script, that's a lot. To be sure, a different director will change things, but as long as that director is willing to listen to the actors, it's not the end of the world.

On the flips side, actors who are really confident about knowing their characters can also end up going up their own ass in the role without a good director knowing when to rein them in and recalibrate the performance.

For instance, I would say RDJ is pretty confident about who Tony Stark is and how to be that guy regardless of who's directing him. But some of his performances as Tony are (much) better than others, and that's because you have different directors knowing when and how to pull him in different directions -- or sometimes leaving him to his own devices.

Too bad. I would have seen it in theaters just to hear the loud roar when Gunn's name popped up in the opening credits.
His name will still be in the credits.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
They placated the Alt-Right. Every single harassment campaign coming from Cernovich and his cronies is on their heads. (Because, yes, there are going to be more. Of course there are going to be more.)
Placating the alt-right is just Disney keeping true to their roots.

Honestly though, placating the alt-right and firing Gunn is pretty low on the list of terrible things Disney as a company has done, which includes, among others, racism, plagiarism, sexism, animal and human rights violations and singlehandidly making sure nothing ever ends up in public domain ever again.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how many members reference Gunn and his firing when the trailer for the third GOTG film is posted on ERA in a few years time.

Unless you're going to screening filled with everyone who posts in these threads there will be no 'roar'.

General audiences don't care.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Alan Horn seems petty af.

I thought the tweets were pretty nasty at first but context does matter and the firing was stupid, IMO.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how many members reference Gunn and his firing when the trailer for the third GOTG film is posted on ERA in a few years time.

It'll be interesting to see you eat some crow when people can and will remember. How can you be so incredibly petty?