doops.

Jun 3, 2020
variety.com

Behind Robert Downey Jr. and the Russo Brothers’ Mega ‘Avengers’ Paydays

Marvel is paying $80 million for the Russos to direct two 'Avengers' movies and 'significantly more' for Robert Downey Jr. to tackle Doctor Doom.

But bringing back key members of the old gang won't come cheap. Sources say Marvel is plunking down $80 million for Anthony and Joe Russo to direct "Avengers: Doomsday" and "Avengers: Secret Wars" and "significantly more" for Downey to tackle uber-villain Doctor Doom in the two tentpoles. The Russos' deal doesn't include back-end compensation, but it does contain performance escalators that kick in at the $750 million and $1 billion thresholds. The brothers also will produce the two films via their AGBO banner. That marks something of a departure for Marvel, which typically doesn't work with outside producers, preferring to keep the team in house.
[...] Adding to the angst on the Burbank lot, the entire future "Avengers" arc that centered on villain Kang had to be scrapped amid actor Jonathan Majors' legal troubles. (Marvel parent company Disney cut ties with Majors hours after he was convicted of assault and harassment stemming from an altercation with his girlfriend at the time.) In short order, director Destin Daniel Cretton exited "Avengers: Kang Dynasty."
Variety previously reported in a cover story on the studio's woes that Marvel was considering pivoting from Kang to Doctor Doom as Majors' problems mounted and that chief Kevin Feige was keen to bring back Downey, who will segue from his Broadway debut in Ayad Akhtar's "McNeal" in the fall to preproduction on "Avengers" in the new year.
Sources say Downey, who is repped by WME, agreed to return to the MCU if the Russos, who are CAA clients, would be directing. "They were the only ones he would work with," says a source familiar with the dealmaking.

After all, the brothers' two "Avengers" movies earned a whopping $4.851 billion combined. As Marvel looks to regain its footing, a Downey/Russos reteaming is "a perfect combination of timing and everyone being on the same page," says one executive close to the project.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
cOQl8glevElTNNW9wQ.webp

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
So essentially they're going to let other projects suffer or disappear just so they can get one or two blockbusters with both before they leave again.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I wonder how much significantly more is, I wouldn't be shocked if it's something like 250M at this point

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
They agreed to let the Russos produce too?

😂

Whew they wanted this deal bad.

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
I still think it will be bizarre to have RDJ as another role
I think if they introduce this rdj as a multiverse where he was born as dr. Doom it would be really great. Especially when it is spiderman vs dr. doom. Also I'd like to see rdj in a villain role.

I think chris played a really great role as a villain. It was refreshing to see and I hope he will get a villain role one day again in a movie.

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
If I had to guess I'd say Disney are probably paying between 150m - 175m for RDJ. Crazy money, but not that surprising considering the love MCU fans have for him and what he did for the MCU. His name alone just guarantees success for these films. There's no doubt these two films will be go crazy in cinemas, but will they top IW/EG? We will see I guess.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Significantly more even than fkin 80 million?

That's just stupid. Not to mention unethical considering how much underpaying no doubt goes on with regards to crew and vfx artist and such.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
They're trying to get their Endgame magic back, but paying so much for it that if it fails, oof.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
What's the status on the teen avengers? Any word on that?

OT: RDJ has so much pull. Bigger payday, got his chosen directors, who in-turn also got to produce. Wow. That's some leverage.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Insane, willing to pay a couple of people that much money, while the common workers had to go on strike for a decent wage. Absolutly disgusting company.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

OT: RDJ has so much pull. Bigger payday, got his chosen directors, who in-turn also got to produce. Wow. That's some leverage.
Young Avengers has been on hold for so long that at this point I wonder if the movie will even release before the universe reset of Secret Wars

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Well, they planted the biggest seed they could at the end of The Marvels. That's the last we've heard of it.

There will be more MCU announcements at D23 in a couple weeks so I'm expecting to find out about the movies we don't know about yet (one just before Doomsday in early 2026 and two between Doomsday and Secret Wars). I'm guessing they'll announce Shang-Chi 2, Doctor Strange 3 and I'm hoping for something Young Avengers-related.

Last edited:

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Is that 80 million total for the director team for both movies, or 80 million for the director team for both movies, or 80 million per director for both movies, or 80 million per director for each movie? Makes a huge difference in the math!

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Good, gouge them. There is no better incentive to making sure your creation doesn't suck than knowing you stand to lose many millions.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Young Avengers has been on hold for so long that at this point I wonder if the movie will even release before the universe reset of Secret Wars

A full universe reset is very unlikely. It'll be just like the comics, where most of the universe goes back to how it was but there will some changes (like how Miles Morales moved over to the main universe in the comics -- my guess is Deadpool taking that spot in the MCU).

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope this doesn't negatively impact The Gray Man 2 or the next season of the hit show… whatever it was called.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
That's crazy. At the very least 161 million for just the directors and one actor.

Anyway, the RDJ casting sucks.

Raum

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
I remember the post-credit scene of Quantumania with the hundreds of Kangs. What will they do with this plotline? Just abandon it and pretend it did not happen?
(I haven't seen anything Marvel after that so I'm sorry if the answer is obvious now)

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I remember the post-credit scene of Quantumania with the hundreds of Kangs. What will they do with this plotline? Just abandon it and pretend it did not happen?
(I haven't seen anything Marvel after that so I'm sorry if the answer is obvious now)
Let's pretend Loki S2 ending just erased Kangs.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Wouldn't most of the cast of existing characters already be contracted for both Avengers movies?

It all depends on the actor and we'll probably never know the exact details.

My personal guess is that for actors like Hugh Jackman, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, they would have signed 2-film contracts. Marvel knew the endgame (heh) was having them in Secret Wars after D&W and No Way Home.

But we'll always just be guessing, I think.

Edit: Actually, I wonder how the Spidey stuff works. Like, is that money coming from Sony, Disney or both?

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
I still think it will be bizarre to have RDJ as another role
Marvel saw RDJ played like 5 different characters in The Sympathizer earlier this year and want in on that.
Plus the precedent is set for an actor playing different characters in different timelines/universes already so why not.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Sources say Marvel is plunking down $80 million for Anthony and Joe Russo to direct "Avengers: Doomsday" and "Avengers: Secret Wars" and "significantly more" for Downey to tackle uber-villain Doctor Doom in the two tentpoles.

How much would "significantly more" be? 100, 120 million?
If this is what they're paying upfront PLUS any residuals/backend shares this is truly insane.

This would be 200 million upfront just for director and antagonist. According to Wikipedia Endgame had a budget of 400 mio.

This is a big bet.

Edit: Ah I overlooked that RDJ is also for two movies. Still a metric shit ton of money.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
loki season 2 (kinda?) resolves this. at least from my point of view, it pretty much dealt with the kang situation.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

An out of time organization (the TVA) is keeping tabs on all the Kangs. It's insinuated everything is under control now. It's not a definitive answer, but one that works.

On topic: for that amount of money I hope the Russo's deliver: everything they did in the MCU: absolutely amazing.

Everything they did after: not so much.

I have full faith in RDJ. Let's hope they give him cool stuff to work with. Actually, I'm starting to get somewhat excited for this.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise there. This will be mutually beneficial for Disney and the Russos. As for RDJ, they had to knew that if any hope of him coming back at all was going to come with a huge bag and they can afford it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Money's likely coming from Disney if it's a Disney movie, and shared between Disney and Sony if it's a Sony movie.

Probably something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Holland's new contract is huge and includes a new solo trilogy and the two Avengers films.

So it's hard to really think about all of that in terms of a singular budget for something like Avengers.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We know the Fantastic Four and Thunderbolts will be in these too. So that's more cast without even getting around to Avengers. This budget is going to be massive.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
This is a real hail mary to try and bring back the excitement to MCU. I think it will pay off but if this fails its more or less over for the MCU.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
This is a real hail mary to try and bring back the excitement to MCU. I think it will pay off but if this fails its more or less over for the MCU.
if this fails (or just underperforms), they have pretty good way out. after secret war, they can reboot the entire thing. cheaper actors, lower budgets...
i am not worried about the 2 avengers flicks. more about thunderbolts and cap 4 b.o. performance.

beebop

May 30, 2023
I still don't get it. Did people like just RDJ or RDJ's Iron Man?

Unless there's some Dr Doom = bad Tony Stark but with an ultimate redemption, I don't see how this is what any MCU fan wanted.