• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
No they didn't. Based on the numbering on the clan images we likely could get the 'Unknown building' clan next. The Brujah image was called clan_1, the unknown building is clan_2 in the files.
If it's indeed the unknown building, I'm guessing they'll unveil Nosferatu next (but could also be something out of left field, like Lasombra or Hecata). The architecture screams Seattle underground.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Will there be a proper inventory system? Clothing/armor with stats? Trinkets? Unique weapons?

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Will there be a proper inventory system? Clothing/armor with stats? Trinkets? Unique weapons?
I haven't followed every small bit of news, but from what I've understood, yes you can completely deck out your vampire how you like with different type of apparel as well as melee and ranged weapons.
Not sure how stats work out yet but the previous game had stats for different clothing and weapons.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Lasombra would be amazing. Wonder how they would do the shadow-based skills, probably just pull a light level from the lightmap to mark compatible surfaces?

• 2 melee weapons, 2 ranged weapons
  • Clothing is unbound from the old stat clothes so you can dress to your taste
  • Unknown, probably?
  • Unknown, probably?

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Yeah me too. I never was a huge fan of the way the Nosferatu played in the first game as running through the sewers got really boring after a while but I still kinda want a weird sneaky type clan which like the shadows.

Well, with the emphasis they've put on the Seattle Underground and new ways of getting around, I'd be surprised if Nosferatu don't get added. I mean, a Clan like Gangrel could be modded in fairly easily, not so the Nosferatu, or Malks, for that matter.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, Brujah are the most similar to me, and I love prominent clan members like Nines, but I never want to be one.

Last edited:

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Reasonable to think they'll show gameplay itself earlier. Perhaps at E3, right around the time the clan introduction wil end.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I have a confession to make. I mostly played Vampire as a p&p game and then got Redemption, which I greatly enjoyed, warts and all. However, I barely touched Bloodlines since I watched a friend playing it shortly after launch and was such a mess I couldn't be arsed with it. Everything I knew about the original game was mostly from random videos on YouTube and some second hand experience. With that said, the hype got the best of me after re-reading the clan novels, and with the missus being a huge pest about playing something new, I gave it a try via GOG.

The UI is dated AF, so is level design, and the fighting sucks ass, but voice acting is pretty damn solid and oh my God, this writing. I just got Jeanette killed (I think?) and I'm loving it. I haven't even moved from Santa Monica and I'm already blown away by how good this is.

It's also showing its age at every turn, though. Fashion and character design are firmly set during the aughts. Our Tremere girl protagonist is less scary Morticia and more like the chicks I used to oogle at back during my goth clubbing days, which is kind of odd when you consider that she should have a somewhat sickly and unerving look.

Still, playing Bloodlines for the first time in a proper way made me much more hyped for the sequel. I'm not even 8 hours in and it's already high on my personal list of best RPGs ever.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wait, is it already announced release date as of march 2020? That's SOON! I expect it to be pushed tho.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a confession to make. I mostly played Vampire as a p&p game and then got Redemption, which I greatly enjoyed, warts and all. However, I barely touched Bloodlines since I watched a friend playing it shortly after launch and was such a mess I couldn't be arsed with it. Everything I knew about the original game was mostly from random videos on YouTube and some second hand experience. With that said, the hype got the best of me after re-reading the clan novels, and with the missus being a huge pest about playing something new, I gave it a try via GOG.

The UI is dated AF, so is level design, and the fighting sucks ass, but voice acting is pretty damn solid and oh my God, this writing. I just got Jeanette killed (I think?) and I'm loving it. I haven't even moved from Santa Monica and I'm already blown away by how good this is.

It's also showing its age at every turn, though. Fashion and character design are firmly set during the aughts. Our Tremere girl protagonist is less scary Morticia and more like the chicks I used to oogle at back during my goth clubbing days, which is kind of odd when you consider that she should have a somewhat sickly and unerving look.

Still, playing Bloodlines for the first time in a proper way made me much more hyped for the sequel. I'm not even 8 hours in and it's already high on my personal list of best RPGs ever.
The announcement of Bloodlines 2 pushed me to finally play it, and I similarly fell in love with the game immediately. It became one of my favorite games before I even finished Santa Monica.

wait, is it already announced release date as of march 2020? That's SOON! I expect it to be pushed tho.
Q1 2020, not anymore specific than that afaik.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The announcement of Bloodlines 2 pushed me to finally play it, and I similarly fell in love with the game immediately. It became one of my favorite games before I even finished Santa Monica.

Q1 2020, not anymore specific than that afaik.
but... but the title

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Music is also pretty, pretty good, too.

It makes me weep for my city's goth scene. Used to be huge, now there's only a couple of shops and not even a proper club.

May 26, 2018
On pre-order page, Steam has it in march 2020, so no lies there.

BTW, the music at the beginning of that hands-on announcement is definetely from the game. Schaffer is going to write another soundtrack of the forever it seems.

It was played during the initial reveal, too. It's almost certainly the menu music, as it has the same Massive Attack's Angel inspiration going on.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Maggots love yoooo

Trust meee

On pre-order page, Steam has it in march 2020, so no lies there.

BTW, the music at the beginning of that hands-on announcement is definetely from the game. Schaffer is going to write another soundtrack of the forever it seems.
Website just says Q1 2020, recall other publicity stuffs sticking with that.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Maggots love yoooo

Trust meee

Website just says Q1 2020, recall other publicity stuffs sticking with that.
zzBxWtx.jpg

March is also the end of Q1 2020, guess they put it there to be on the safe side with the release date. I also think they won't push it back, with it being available to play at an event by a very large number of people. HSL seem pretty sure of their ability to finish the game in time.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
zzBxWtx.jpg

March is also the end of Q1 2020, guess they put it there to be on the safe side with the release date. I also think they won't push it back, with it being available to play at an event by a very large number of people. HSL seem pretty sure of their ability to finish the game in time.
Talking the Bloodlines 2 site, not steam.

Mar 30, 2019
I remember some interview were they said they are aiming for "End of March 2020" or something like that but I can't recall which on it was.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I'm... sorry? I just told her to hand me the gun and Therese "killed her" on the spot! She's batshit enough I can see her Jeanette popping at any given moment, though.

Jeanette is also interesting in a technical way. Most characters are ugly as sin and move incredibly poorly, but her facial animations are pretty decent.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I think the facial animations are univerally pretty good for a game from 2004, the eyes especially. And just FYI, for Bloodlines 2, canonically both Jeanette and Therese "survive".

Oct 31, 2017
Any good story summaries for this game?
I don't think we know anything about the story of this game, aside from the premise where it starts (a mass embrace, you barely surviving, being somehow tasked with tracking down how and why that happened).

I'm... sorry? I just told her to hand me the gun and Therese "killed her" on the spot! She's batshit enough I can see her Jeanette popping at any given moment, though.

Jeanette is also interesting in a technical way. Most characters are ugly as sin and move incredibly poorly, but her facial animations are pretty decent.
Most of the facial animations in the game are pretty damn good, especially for the year it released.
The Source engine definitely was ahead of its time in this area.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I don't think we know anything about the story of this game, aside from the premise where it starts (a mass embrace, you barely surviving, being somehow tasked with tracking down how and why that happened).

Most of the facial animations in the game are pretty damn good, especially for the year it released.
The Source engine definitely was ahead of its time in this area.
Oh wow, im a moron. I meant for the first one.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any significant dialogue differences between using a Tremere and a Toreador or are Malkavians the only ones with unique lines?

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Not really. Tremere get some unique stuff in the Chantry, and there are couple of Toreador lines about the place, but it's basically the same. Nos and Malk are the only Clans with large amounts of unique dialogue.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Not really. Tremere get some unique stuff in the Chantry, and there are couple of Toreador lines about the place, but it's basically the same. Nos and Malk are the only Clans with large amounts of unique dialogue.

That's true but Toreador or Ventrue can use their own dialog options in most quests atleast in the first half on the game and finish them without using any combat

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Are there any significant dialogue differences between using a Tremere and a Toreador or are Malkavians the only ones with unique lines?
The clans do have some unique stuff for them, even if a little. Ventrue for example have lines about being in favour of lording over others and their blood drinking habits, plus all the Dominate exercises. Toreador get unique dialogue interacting with Nosferatu and so forth. It's small, but it's there, and it does make you feel like you are part of a specific clan.

Of course Malkavians are a whole different league, with all their dialogue being unique and written specifically for them. Nosferatu almost always get comments in the opening about their ugliness, but then it's back to business as usual.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Presence only gets its own dialogue options in the added content patches. That's not in the base game.

I played as a Ventrue in 2005 and I had in many quests the option to use some dialog option that lead to finishing the current quest without any violence or combat that I didn't had the option to use when I played for example as a Tremere

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart

If I remember correctly, the delay in having to wait for HL2 to release allowed them extra time to improve on some character models like Jeanette and VV, although that might have been fan assumption rather than anything stated by the devs.

Here's an older Jeanette model, more in line with most other characters:
Caption_Three.jpg.jpg

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its actually hard to keep them both alive. You gotta be super social and have certain missions in a certain way. Last time I tried I still failed and followed a guide somewhat.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
She's hardly better in quality than most major NPCs in the game.
If anything, that previous version was significantly worse.
Then again, at the time probably all of them were.

I'm saying that the version of Jeanette in the final release is the improved model. Sexy lady characters like her and VV got an upgrade. The original Jeanette model is significantly worse, especially that hair. The body seems to be the same one used the the female Malkavian.

The modelling and texturing in the game is all over the place, probably most obvious in the club dancers.