Oct 25, 2017
lrz8gjdl3a371.jpg

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they'll reveal their handheld/switch device at this event. Wasn't it reported to be revealed later in the year?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
1080p? I'd honestly think I'd be happy with a 720p OLED that's rumored to be in Switch Pro. The battery is still the limiting factor in these things and pushing pixels that have insane amounts of diminishing returns on small screens is a waste IMO.

This is the point I made in that thread. Even if discrete GPUs have lost the plot, there's a ripe opening for APUs to finally become an important part of PC gaming. High quality APUs (portable and console sized boxes) would more than make up for the fact that discrete GPUs are losing the plot. AMD should be going in on this hard. Because they'll never beat Nvidia in a traditional fight.
I agree that a 720p OLED screen would be ideal as it would allow way more headroom over 1080p and conserve battery power.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
So, what are some realistic expectations? It's weirdly worded. Not "announcement from Valve" but rather "a message from Valve regarding Steam". It's definitely not game related, and I'm thinking not hardware related either. Not expecting anything about Steam UI updates (I don't see why they won't do it in a blog post like the previous updates) or SteamOS (this would most likely be tied to the SteamPal announcement somewhere in Fall).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So, what are some realistic expectations? It's weirdly worded. Not "announcement from Valve" but rather "a message from Valve regarding Steam". It's definitely not game related, and I'm thinking not hardware related either. Not expecting anything about Steam UI updates (I don't see why they won't do it in a blog post like the previous updates) or SteamOS (this would most likely be tied to the SteamPal announcement somewhere in Fall).

To keep your expectations in check: "We've got some very special news coming later this year. Stay tuned for more information."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

In order of likelihood according to me (higher chance first):

-Steam deciding that they are annoyed by the Epic PR and promoting their summer sale in there
-Steam promoting Steam Play Next (demo stuff)
(gap)
-Steam showing some new discoverability stuff / Steam Labs
- Steam showing new Big Picture UI
-Steam getting some sort of program for small indies (upgrade of Steam Direct)
(big gap)
-Gamepass on Steam
-SteamPal
-Steam Cloud Play

My

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
SteamPal to include a trackball and Brick Breaker Remaker as a launch exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, Riccochet 2
alternate joke:
GabeN: "Yeah, we're done with Steam. I just feel like we made enough money, y'know? Servers are shutting down next week, bye"

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If it's steampal I wonder if this thing will be hard to get due to chip shortages.

Even if it is, it won't have a half-ass sales system. 1 per person. Sign up for the que and be done with it. Maybe you get it at launch, maybe you wait 6 months, but at least it's put your name on a list and be done with it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7drHiqr.gif
disclaimer: I do not have first hand knowledge of whether this is a Steam hardware announcement

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they could steal the show from everyone else by announcing that a new mainline HL game is in the works, maybe end their presentation with a teaser of it. But also, if they can release a viable portable Steam machine, then hell yeah man.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Hopefully its just poor wording on PC Gamer's part, but from my time in corporate America "a message regarding..." is usually not news you would be excited about. Granted, if it was something distressing like selling a stake in Steam to Tencent or something, they probably wouldn't announce that an event like this.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

ie it's a video they've prepared about what's next with Steam. At least that would make sense