• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steamworks Development :: NEW: See Which Controllers Players Are Using In Your Game

New reporting shows the major controller models that your players have and which ones they use to play your game

Valve is announcing that their update to Steam today, will provide additional information to the developers in regards to the controllers from the players on their games. For example, how many players of their games has used a controller for other Steam games, how many players play their games with a controller, what controller them use etc. This is done so that the developer have data to decide whether it is feasible to add controller support, and how/where to improve their controller support.

In the midst of the announcement article, Valve also share some basic stats regarding controllers on Steam:
Let's start with some figures for a sense of scale:
48 Million players have used a controller in a game on Steam, with about 10% of daily game sessions being played with a controller.
Of course, that controller usage isn't distributed evenly across all kinds of games. Many RTS games, are hard to play with a controller of any kind and tend to have a much smaller percentage of players using a controller (frequently below 1%). In contrast, many sports and fighting games see over 70% of sessions played with a controller, while racing and skating games can easily have over 90% of players using a controller. On the action and adventure fronts, most 3rd person adventure games see 40-50% of players using a controller, and the majority of FPS games are solidly in the range of 7-8%.

The usefulness of this reporting may depend on the kind of game you are making. But, in general, a lot of players like to play a large cross section of games on Steam with a controller – which is something many people, including those of us at Valve, find a bit surprising.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I change between controller and kb m based on the game. Rocket league? Kb m. Civilization? Controller.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If you release a turn-based or action RPG without controller support, I'm not bothering with your product.

The only thing that I can still tolerate is RTwP RPGs, but even Pathfinder devs have found a way to incorporate controller into the game.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Top 10 steam games:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Dota 2
Valheim
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
Apex Legends
Team Fortress 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Rust
Destiny 2
鬼谷八荒 (Tale of Immortal)

Not a surprise that 90% of sessions use a keyboard and mouse when looking at that.

Deleted member 67800

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
thanks for share, there are some games that I would like to use the controller, such as RPGs, Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity and others, which have control support in console editions but in the steam version do not give this possibility.

Yang1992

Mar 16, 2020
It depends on the game genres, I like to use the controller for ARPG, but for FPS games, KB is the best for me as always.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Shows significant amounts of people have controllers but rarely much people wants to use them for shooters because of big disadvantages kind of a big lie frequently I've seen suggesting otherwise. Prefer 3rd person Single player games via Controller.

Oct 30, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I count as someone who "has used a controller", but like, very rarely for only a few games.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I play EVERY PC/Steam game with a controller unless it's......

A.) RTS games
B.) It's a REALLY old game

I love my PC and play all my games on it now besides a little Switch and 3DS. But personally I like to be able to kick back and relax with a controller. I only play games at night typically after I've already worked, exercised and cared for my children.

So when it's Joint time and game time, want to sit back lol........legal in my state :)
(Using 55" C8 OLED as monitor)

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised how dominant xbox controllers are over playstation ones. I knew it would be higher, but not 'vast majority' levels.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Many RTS games, are hard to play with a controller of any kind and tend to have a much smaller percentage of players using a controller (frequently below 1%). In contrast, many sports and fighting games see over 70% of sessions played with a controller, while racing and skating games can easily have over 90% of players using a controller. On the action and adventure fronts, most 3rd person adventure games see 40-50% of players using a controller, and the majority of FPS games are solidly in the range of 7-8%.
These are more useful stats than the 10% imo. The 10% is misleading because of how many of the top games are just not suited to controller. When it comes to games suited to controllers, the percentages are much more reasonable.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Surprised how dominant xbox controllers are over playstation ones. I knew it would be higher, but not 'vast majority' levels.
I know personally that I still like to use DS4Windows whenever I use my Dualshock (or more recently Dualsense) on PC, and that causes Steam to read it as a 360 controller. That might be a factor.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Used to be the standard recommendation because they worked out of the box I think while Playstation controllers needed special software/drivers. I had an Xbox controller for use with my PC too and I never bought an Xbox in my life, and I definitely prefer the PS controllers.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, looking at this on an individual game basis requires you to be the dev of that game? Was hoping for open data. Really curious about some games.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, it's not just dominant but it's also growing. Playstation controller accounted for 27% of sessions in 2018, now only 21%.

817181596da53a62e63586af4a3334433e1e818f.jpg

So many people are missing out on the gyro and additional shortcuts provided by the PS controllers.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like Soulslikes and platformers I usually go with controller, almost everything else is kb+m. I'm addicted to my mechanical keyboard :P

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I never use keyboard and mouse on PC. Have my PC set up like a console, hooked up on the TV and everything.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
PS and Switch controllers are honestly better on PC than Xbox controllers, with the touchpad on PS and motion controls on both. They also have more seamless bluetooth support than Xbox controllers for some reason. More people should try them out.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
A controller just seems more versatile/comfortable to me compared to a keyboard. I only really use kb&m for management and strategy games.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Personally I play just about everything on PC with a controller. But this is because I like 3d platformers and I'll die before I use WASD to play them.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not just dominant but it's also growing. Playstation controller accounted for 27% of sessions in 2018, now only 21%.

So many people are missing out on the gyro and additional shortcuts provided by the PS controllers.
Over 200k people using Rock Band instruments when the game isn't even on PC? Lots of people trying challenge runs (like "Dark Souls with guitar") I see.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I never play any games with keyboard and mouse except for Two Point Hospital. If they ever add controller support to that I will likely move to controller for that too.

Most people I know are like this too, but most people in my circles do not play games like DotA 2 or PUBG.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's no surprise Xbox is more dominant, it's plug and play more or less, and works outside the ecosystem too with little fiddling.

Sony should consider doing some driver or software support of the DS4 / Dualsense especially as they move into PC gaming more and more.

Oct 28, 2017
So many people use playstation controllers and a lot of developers, even big ones still pretend only XBOX controllers exist on PC...

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's too bad more Xbox controller users don't seem to use Steam input. Even if I don't use some more advanced options in a game, I usually find it good to lower joystick dead zones for more responsive joystick controls.

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising given the most played games on Steam.

After retiring from Apex last April, I only play games on Steam best played with a game pad...

Stress of COVID becoming a thing + elevated heartrate from competitive PC fps games was too much to handle (started getting anxiety attacks it was super weird).

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

Today I learned Steam supports PS3 controllers through Steam Input. I should experiment with this later.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I really don't know how anyone can rationally explain how WASD is better than using an analog stick to control your character in 3D?

This is the beauty of PC, play how you want.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I mean, it wasn't too long ago where you plugged in an xbox 360 controller and it just worked, where as you couldn't do that with a playstation controller.

I used my 360 controller on PC for a long time, then I upgraded to an xbox one controller when they came out, and I'll probably be using it as long as it still works.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Use controller whenever I can unless it's a game that uses a mouse pointer. Not going to use a pad for something like Cities Skylines or any RTS.

I highly appreciate just being able to use any controller I want. In this age of expensive hardware built with drift prone sticks it's nice knowing I could use almost any of the controllers I have lying around from the last 20+ years if need be.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Couch PC gamer here so I play everything with a controller.

Really hope those low controller numbers for FPS games don't encourage developers to drop controller support for PC FPS games.