OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

New video dropped by Bradley about what he's found
Pretty good feature list for standalone headset. If Deckard is priced competitively, could be a shot in the arm for PCVR.
mZ5pPoQ.jpg

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
A Valve developed Quest competitor with PC connectivity and all of the neat bells and whistles of the PSVR 2 has the potential to be the most successful VR headset to date. I really hope they nail this.
Not only that but PC compatible hardware onboard as well. I think Brad has previously suggested there would be an arm chip running SteamOS, an AMD APU onboard for games (with a standalone version of Alyx as a target), and wireless PC connectivity.

If the price is mainstream friendly (~550), that's the best VR headset on the market. Even moreso if you can use it like a PC as well.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I think stand-alone will def be a option, steam os is probably one of the reasons for it even existing

I'd like to just temper expectations regarding this because SteamVR on Linux is extremely broken right now and has a fuck ton of issues, Almost no one is playing VR on Linux because of it

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but PC compatible hardware onboard as well. I think Brad has previously suggested there would be an arm chip running SteamOS, an AMD APU onboard for games (with a standalone version of Alyx as a target), and wireless PC connectivity.

If the price is mainstream friendly (~550), that's the best VR headset on the market. Even moreso if you can use it like a PC as well.
1080 or 1440p foveated rendering and 72 fps with 144 fps reprojection sounds very doable to me if they have a 2.5 - 3 Tflop apu for half life alyx or anything on that same level for stand alone

Then connected to a pc you could do native 144 fps and 4k etc

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'd like to just temper expectations regarding this because SteamVR on Linux is extremely broken right now and has a fuck ton of issues, Almost no one is playing VR on Linux because of it
I imagine Valve is working hard to get it working better just like they did leading up to the Steam Deck.

Fusi

Sep 26, 2021

That sounds pretty good! The pricing is at nice place right?

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Deckard is based off the Deck, I don't think we'll see costs any lower than that considering all the extra hardware and tech that goes into a VR headset. It depends on how much storage Deckard ends up with, but I'd expect at least 256GB. Given that costs $530 on the Deck, I wouldn't expect any less than $600 and that still feels too low considering the need for new controllers as well.

tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up costing $1000 again, but would be pleased if it's a few hundred less due to not needing to include the base stations. If I had to bet, I'd guess around $800. Maybe they'll offer a tethered-only version without the hardware for it to function standalone that could be cheaper?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Just give me pancake lenses please. I need to be rid of fresnel glare forever, it's the bane of my existence.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Deckard is based off the Deck, I don't think we'll see costs any lower than that considering all the extra hardware and tech that goes into a VR headset. It depends on how much storage Deckard ends up with, but I'd expect at least 256GB. Given that costs $530 on the Deck, I wouldn't expect any less than $600 and that still feels too low considering the need for new controllers as well.

tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up costing $1000 again, but would be pleased if it's a few hundred less due to not needing to include the base stations. If I had to bet, I'd guess around $800. Maybe they'll offer a tethered-only version without the hardware for it to function standalone that could be cheaper?
I think less than 1,000 since it sounds like lighthouse will be optional this time, so 600-900

I would like official theater mode that lets me play all steam games in a theater and looks good, would be great use for headset whenever there's no made for VR games to play

I would play hollow knight silksong this way if it looks good…

Imagine if devs could make theaters around their games, like the growth that took over hollow knights world could come into the theater for atmosphere

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That sounds pretty good! The pricing is at nice place right?

This is the roundup I'm going by:
sadlyinreality.com

Steam VR 1.23.2 Datamine

Steam VR had a notable update on June 14th. Not so much in what was introduced in the patch notes itself. But in the backend: we got a ton of new systems/strings related to Valve Deckard. The next HMD from the company who runs Steam. Join me as I walk…

There's no rumors about cost afaik. I'd just go by Valve's aggressive pricing on the Deck as a hopeful precedent.

One thing I don't like in Bradley's summary is that an x86 APU could be an add-on down the line. That seems like a mistake to me, but it would help with cost while still being more useful than a PSVR2.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the roundup I'm going by:
sadlyinreality.com

Steam VR 1.23.2 Datamine

Steam VR had a notable update on June 14th. Not so much in what was introduced in the patch notes itself. But in the backend: we got a ton of new systems/strings related to Valve Deckard. The next HMD from the company who runs Steam. Join me as I walk…

There's no rumors about cost afaik. I'd just go by Valve's aggressive pricing on the Deck as a hopeful precedent.

One thing I don't like in Bradley's summary is that an x86 APU could be an add-on down the line. That seems like a mistake to me, but it would help with cost while still being more useful than a PSVR2.
That would be one of the main selling points of the headset, don't see them leaving it out to release later