• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really care much for VC1's story it was pretty generic IMO but good enough to set up gameplay scenarios. So as long as the gameplay is good that's fine.

Re: music is there a lot rehashed from across the games, or just VC1 or what?

It's about 50/50 so far with new music and old music within battles.
In cutscenes as far as I remember all the music is new.

All the HQ music like training, mess hall, barracks, and the main book music, the notification sounds for new unlocks, the music for capturing bases or calling up reinforcements, etc., are all new.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
It's about 50/50 so far with new music and old music within battles.
In cutscenes as far as I remember all the music is new.

All the HQ music like training, mess hall, barracks, and the main book music, the notification sounds for new unlocks, the music for capturing bases or calling up reinforcements, etc., are all new.

Sounds good enough

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
The main character's tank is called the Hafen, though if you have the CE, you can get the Edelweiss (as well as the main squad 7 cast) as playable characters

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost finished everything. Only have one fragment left. In case anyone has problem with the challenge missions.

The first one is "realistic challenge". Both the enemy and you hit much harder. You will die like a fly if you just run around. But tanks don't take damage from infantry, so you just need to take out all tanks, anti-tank guns, and launchers with your own tanks, launchers and snipers, and use the transport vehicle to get to enemy base. It's actually very easy. This is a good chapter to grind long range units. Just don't ever run out in the open.

The second one is hard. My strategy is to take the whole squad to the bottom base. The Valkyrie will be at the bottom base in the forth turn, the tank will be there at the fifth turn so you can kill them. The main difficulty is at second turn when your tank meets enemy tank. Survive that and it's easy from there. Don't forget you can use ship order to take out enemy motor.

The third one is very easy. I finished it in three turns and killed everything on the map. In general if the air strike locations are behind you at the end of the turn, you are doing fine.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Personal attack.
Outside of the Squad 7 DLC? No, of course you won't see the Edelweiss when this isn't even taking place in the same country it is active in.

Wow, that was needlessly aggressive. But hey, thanks for being a huge dick about it.

So what is the name of the tank? I mean if my not knowing doesn't offend you. Also, I "apologise" for suggesting you are a huge dick. It's not fair of me to assume you have one or are one.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The VC4 promo twitter is poking fun at people asking for realistic swimwear of the time period for the DLC lol.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was needlessly aggressive. But hey, thanks for being a huge dick about it.

So what is the name of the tank? I mean if my not knowing doesn't offend you. Also, I "apologise" for suggesting you are a huge dick. It's not fair of me to assume you have one or are one.

No aggression on my part was intended or should be taken as such. But it doesn't take much effort to do a minimum amount of research to realize the question didn't make much sense in the context of this game's setting. It's even spelled out in the opening post of this thread.

You were already given an answer on the specific name of one of the tanks in this game:

The main character's tank is called the Hafen, though if you have the CE, you can get the Edelweiss (as well as the main squad 7 cast) as playable characters

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got the platinum, grind a little bit in the end. The game is grinding friendly, there's a mission that you can grind everything out.

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks! Sounds like they are really celebrating this title. Dunno if I'm gonna pony up for the CE, but that is a tempting reason.

StarCreator I took your response the way I did, that's on me. Sure, I could have searched it anywhere but I wanted to talk about it with my fellow VC fans. I was warned, so I was in the wrong and for what it's worth I'm sorry.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the Squad 7 DLC tonight.

xIResSZ.jpg

MshcjtP.jpg

Miles and Isara agree to meet again after the war.

... :(

Story wise it was kind of cute but it's definitely fanservice. Every character is reduced to their base archetype; everyone gets along and are instant friends, except Rosie and Largo hate Raz because they are in their blatant racism phase. Except Alicia somehow finds time to bake a ridiculous amount of bread, and all is suddenly well because Alicia's bread is the best.

They seemed to try to make this meeting work in a way that it could be canon, but I'm happy enough to pretend it never happened.

Gameplay wise, this mini campaign is great.

First mission I had a mishap - managed to block a ladder with the Hafen - that cost me a turn, which was enough to cost me the S rank. Whoops. Squad 7 being a third team with independent CP is interesting, though the AI kind of squanders it.

Second mission I had to retry the first part a whole bunch of times but S ranked once I got part that hurdle. I don't think I did the second part as intended at all; I ended up using the Hafen to take out all three tanks in a single turn and sniping the two enemy lancers so there was no risk of them blowing the Hafen up. Poor Largo spawned in with absolutely nothing to do.

Third mission (grenadiers only) was super fun and also an easy S thanks to some extremely questionable enemy AI.

Last edited:

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Played through the Squad 7 DLC tonight.

xIResSZ.jpg

MshcjtP.jpg

Miles and Isara agree to meet again after the war.

... :(

First mission I had a mishap - managed to block a ladder with the Hafen - that cost me a turn, which was enough to cost me the S rank. Whoops.

Second mission I had to retry the first part a whole bunch of times but S ranked once I got part that hurdle.

Third mission (grenadiers only) was super fun and also an easy S thanks to some extremely questionable enemy AI.

OMG Isara! I should feel bad for spoiling myself, but this was worth it.

Excited to play this once it gets localized. What's with the horn ornaments on two of the heroines? Whatever, the other characters have their quirks as well. Much preferred the uniformed outfits of VC1.

Can't wait to play!

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final thought: 8/10 Great game.

Gameplay-wise it's the best in the series, with first entry's big map and improvements from later entries. The map designs are all unique and have their own "gimmick" for each one, and the mission designs are varied and fun. The game offers enough room for every play style. You can still scout rush (not as OP as VC3 though), but it's not the only option to get S. The class balance is great. Thanks to direct command and transport vehicle, short range units are finally viable. The new added mortar class is often crucial to your mission, and they can also be your worst enemy when they are on the opposite side. Orders and Ship Orders are not essential, but they can make your life much easier if you leverage them properly. Post game contents are challenging and test your full grasp of the system. I strongly recommend completing all of them.

The main story is a mixed bag, it's simultaneously one of the most interesting JRPG story I've seen and one of the worst.

This game puts you into the shoes of a villain. He started like a typical summer boy. At the opening he even morns for the flowers his tank pressed. In one mission, he decided to destroy an enemy base because he found it was used to support the invasion of his home country, even though it wasn't part of the plan. But the cold winter, the long journey on the sea, and the great loss he suffered changed him. The protagonist later learned his mission is to carry an atom bomb in the form of a little girl and detonate her in the capital of the empire, killing countless innocent people and bringing an end to the war. He fully understood the consequences and still believed it's the right thing to do. He didn't do it in the end only because a truce was made. In fact, his first reaction when he heard the truce was "fuck we were so close to winning the war".

One of the villains, the commander of the tank force, is like your average protagonist: hot-blooded, charismatic and chivalrous. He never did a single bad thing in the whole game. He was merely trying to protect his country. And he got a perfect JRPG protagonist ending: going home with a beautiful lady.

The Valkyria you encounter is the typical mistress in dismay stereotype in JRPG. Beneath her superficial power, she's weak, lonely, helpless and insecure. She was saved by the commander I just mentioned.

Another villain merely wants to save the little Valkyria girl that the protagonist uses as a bomb. When the protagonist accused him of the crime he did in order to save her, he refuted by pointing out the protagonist's own hypocrisy.

So far so good right? But the game failed miserably in actually delivering its message of madness of war gradually turning an innocent young man into a cold-hearted military officer. It dares not to throw away all the usual JRPG fares of forgiveness to traitor, humanism and power of friendship, so the end product we get is a Frankenstein that is extremely dark and depressing in one moment and totally idealism in another. The protagonist is so inconsistent you'd think his script was mixed up from two different games. In one scene he allowed refugee on his ship on secret mission, in another scene he tried to justify using the little girl as source of energy by saying "she consented" and "she signed a paper".

It could be the Spec Ops: The Line of JRPGs, but what it actually ends up being is a mess. It's bad, but in a unique way that's worth experiencing.

Side fragments are of various quality, some are trite and predictable, some are surprisingly interesting. Overall I'd say they do a good job of fleshing out otherwise nameless faces.

Production value is a problem as I mentioned before. The game was clearly on a tight budget.

At the end of the day I play VC for the gameplay, and VC4 offers solid 50 hours of strategic fun (it took me 50 in game hours to get the platinum). I'm satisfied and I can't wait to see where the series will go from here.

Last edited:

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The worst aspect of the story to me were the villains. I went pretty much blind into this game but I imagined with this being a direct attack against the empire the antagonists would be high-ranking generals, other members of the imperial family or the emperor himself. Something like that.

Instead you get a mad scientist who is obsessed with looking at mushroom clouds and I'm like ehhhh.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
The main story is a mixed bag, it's simultaneously one of the most interesting JRPG story I've seen and one of the worst.

Maybe due to the atom bombs, in Japanese games, or Japanese media in general, the villains are often utilitarianists who want to achieve "greater good" by sacrificing innocent people, and it's the protagonist's job is to stop them. The closest example is VC3.

This game puts you into the shoes of a villain. He started like a typical summer boy. At the opening he even morns for the flowers his tank pressed. In one mission, he decided to destroy an enemy base because he found it was used to support the invasion of his home country, even though it wasn't part of the plan. But the cold winter, the long journey on the sea, and the great loss he suffered changed him. The protagonist later learned his mission is to carry an atom bomb in the form of a little girl and detonate her in the capital of the empire, killing countless innocent people and bring an end to the war. He fully understood the consequences and still believed it's the right thing to do. He didn't do it in the end only because a truce was made. In fact, his first reaction when he heard the truce was "fuck we were so close to winning the war".

One of the villains, the commander of the tank force, is like your average protagonist: hot-blooded, charismatic and chivalrous. He never did a single bad thing in the whole game. He was merely trying to protect his country. And he got a perfect JRPG protagonist ending: going home with a beautiful lady.

The Valkyria you encounter is the typical mistress in dismay stereotype in JRPG. Beneath her superficial power, she's weak, lonely, helpless and insecure. She was saved by the commander I just mentioned.

Another villain merely wants to save the little Valkyria girl that the protagonist uses as a bomb. When the protagonist accused him of the crime he did in order to save her, he refuted by pointing out the protagonist's own hypocrisy.

So far so good right? But the game failed miserably in actually delivering its message of madness of war gradually turning an innocent young man into a cold-hearted military officer. It dares not to throw away all the usual JRPG fares of forgiveness to traitor, humanism and power of friendship, so the end product we get is a Frankenstein that is extremely dark and depressing in one moment and totally idealism in another. The protagonist is so inconsistent you'd think his script was mixed up from two different games. In one scene he allowed refugee on his ship on secret mission, in another scene he tried to justify using the little girl as source of energy by saying "she consented" and "she signed a paper".

It could be the Spec Ops: The Line of JRPGs, but what it actually ends up being is a mess. It's bad, but in a unique way that's worth experiencing.
Yeah, I kind of expected that would be a problem from the trailers and playing VC1. For whatever reason, the tone the creative people picked for these two games is too light for its subject matter, and it undercuts the drama they try to go for.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
You know, it probably says something that despite whatever drop in production values VC4 may have, as far as I've played, it does a pretty competent job of depicting its story and the boxes method "works," for the most part.

It's not a SO5 situation.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I hope it's not frowned upon to post again, after several days, in a thread about impressions of a new release.

The gameplay is as great as ever, and that should be enough to carry the title, but my god, this has to be the worst writing in the series. At every level.

If the writing surrounding Ange isn't bad enough, of course, she also has to be a bomb. Talk about being overwrought. It's absurd.

Then there's the Woltz/Crimaria love story that involves the line of thinking that no matter how a women might protest, she really wants it. So that's hot garbage.

Then there's the spy angle, with Kai, which is also absurd in that it was let go.

There's a decent story in there somewhere. If the A2 bomb, say, wasn't a little girl that just wanted to help everyone with chores, and was an actual bomb - or a semi-believable human being, that wasn't also a little girl, maybe it could have worked on some level. Then again, probably not. The Folze/Kai angle itself isn't so bad. The idea of him having a real motivation to put an end to what the Federation is doing isn't bad in of itself. But everything surrounding it is bad.

It's gotten to the point where it's hard not to want to simply drop the game. I've gotten to the point where I don't have the will power to go through missions without an insurance policy of a save every few turns, because I don't want to have to spend any more time on the game than I have to.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaand finished! Still have a bunch of side quests which I'll clean up over the next few days, but the story is done. Great game overall, but as a bunch of people have mentioned, the second half of the narrative is super fucking messy - which is all the more annoying because it's built on a really good idea (which is probably why I'm not that pissed off at it... They went for something interesting and mostly failed, but I respect the attempt). The missions and music were absolutely ace throughout.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished as well, got a bit into the second hard skirmish trying to unlock post game characters before feeling completely burnt out. Completed all character side missions with the exception of the post-game unit ones.

I appreciate the game for taking a more interesting route with the protagonist and going a little further with its themes than most mass-market target Japanese games tend to these days. In the end though it's undermined by the fact that characters still act like "anime characters" instead of how a real person would in certain situations, creating weak motives and sometimes contradictory actions to drive the plot along to a happy ending. Normally it's the kind of thing you can overlook with a strong suspension of disbelief, but it feels more wasteful here since they had something really nice going until the end.

The gameplay is definitely the best yet but broken things are still broken, and mortar units are a step beyond broken when combined with orders. I had Reiri one-shot
the final boss in the 2-turn version of the mission by stacking a bunch of orders and hitting it with an increased blast radius mortar shell that reached all of of its weak points at once.

Still a very good game overall though and I think it'll do well enough in the west to continue to receive sequels.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Due to work and other factors I'm on chapter 13 right now.

The swimsuit mission DLC is actually really fun; the second mission is hell to get an S-Rank on while killing the ace. The sheer number of enemy units that can be on the field at one time compared to VC1's more flimsy numbers is really something.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going particularly slow; only reached chapter 4 tonight. This is the first mission in the game actually giving me trouble. I cleared it with a terrible rank but I'm going to reset and run it again next session.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Due to work and other factors I'm on chapter 13 right now.

The swimsuit mission DLC is actually really fun; the second mission is hell to get an S-Rank on while killing the ace. The sheer number of enemy units that can be on the field at one time compared to VC1's more flimsy numbers is really something.
How are the difficulty of these missions? I want to play them but with my characters all maxed out I feel it's gonna be dull.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
How are the difficulty of these missions? I want to play them but with my characters all maxed out I feel it's gonna be dull.

I'd say with maxed out characters it would be pretty easy and not a challenge.
That's one negative of some of the side missions; enemies that don't scale to your level. I think that's why they set level restrictions on some of the unlocks, to sort of give a guiding hand on when they should be done, as opposed to destroying them all at max leveled units and weaponry.

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
I'm going particularly slow; only reached chapter 4 tonight. This is the first mission in the game actually giving me trouble. I cleared it with a terrible rank but I'm going to reset and run it again next session.
It's a good thing story missions can be replayed at any time rather than waiting for NG+ ;)

Also, has anyone tried going through the earlier story missions in NG+? Do those enemies have better stats and gear? Only asking because
watching some of the streams where people were replying the final mission for the true ending, enemies had better stats and had access to their 7th tier weapons rather than 5th in NG

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good thing story missions can be replayed at any time rather than waiting for NG+ ;)

Also, has anyone tried going through the earlier story missions in NG+? Do those enemies have better stats and gear? Only asking because
watching some of the streams where people were replying the final mission for the true ending, enemies had better stats and had access to their 7th tier weapons rather than 5th in NG

No. Only the final mission has a harder version.

Do you still get the medals and other rewards for improving your rank after the fact?
Yes. You can do everything as many times as you want.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So, not going to click any Spoiler Tags for obvious reasons, but I take it that VC4 does nothing to advance the overall series plot?

...Valkyria Chronicles is going to be stuck in 1935 longer than Guts was on the boat, isn't it?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, not going to click any Spoiler Tags for obvious reasons, but I take it that VC4 does nothing to advance the overall series plot?

...Valkyria Chronicles is going to be stuck in 1935 longer than Guts was on the boat, isn't it?
That's not entirely true.
It brings an end to the war. Not just the Gallia front, the whole WWII. It's unlikely the new game will be set in the same war. More importantly it introduces a new nation - pseudo America, which might be an important player in future plot.

destillat

Oct 27, 2017
Sangenjaya
Finished it today.
Going to get the post game characters and then work on the leftover character fragments until the last DLC next week, since it will give the Valkyrias and the girls as units.

I loved the game. The heavy stuff wasn't well written, but there was a good story in there somewhere.
The character fragments and the light moments are the best. The characters are totally one note but there's some hilarious stuff there.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Real shitty that it looks like it's going to take 6 months plus to see this in English.
Guess it has a lot of text.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 15. I have both the Ragnarok DLC and the Hard-EX DLC downloaded but I'll save them for post-game. The story is sad (Crimeria's depression and mild environmentally-induced insanity included) and also heavily incorporates an angle that was only lightly touched upon in VC3, which is protection of state and military secrets and the lengths high-ranking officers will go to protect them.

Also, there are no clean hands in warfare; while not an original idea, it's always a good reminder to see in a game like this.

EDIT: I would like to touch upon the character side stories. I'd say 50% of them are great, 25% are passable, and 25% of them are pretty bad. By "bad", I mean either not funny or interesting or hampered by poor voice acting. The great ones include stuff like Jenny quoting "Remember how I said I was going to kill you last... I lied" before twisting arms and Jimmy taking his death flag raising to the highest possible level.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Still taking it very, very slowly. Been busy/sick :(

Chapter 4 has been a pretty big jump. Never in danger of failing, but S ranks are a little harder to BS now lol

Can only the leader units use direct command? The one mission it would be really useful and no units available to use it...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still taking it very, very slowly. Been busy/sick :(

Chapter 4 has been a pretty big jump. Never in danger of failing, but S ranks are a little harder to BS now lol

Can only the leader units use direct command? The one mission it would be really useful and no units available to use it...
Yes only leader units can use it, and trust me, it's extremely useful.

Question: is the stupid scoring system in the original game still persist in here? The one where you need to hurry as fast as you can in order to get better grades?
Yes, but the system is more generous now so you don't need to scout rush to get S.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
So...got a mail this last Friday telling me my 10th Anniversary Memorial pack for the game arrived in the warehouse the next country over but there is some kind of logistics error affecting Amazon's warehouse.
This means my game, and all purchases for other people too, are going to be brought to another warehouse before being once again sent to me.

Conclusion of the story : my game is stuck in limbo until at least early May, at which point it will resume its way to me.
It's a good thing I have other games to play until then. It's a setback for sure but at least it's not lost.

destillat

Oct 27, 2017
Sangenjaya
The Valkyria Confrontation DLC is pretty boring. Just focus on the boss and whittle away. No Ruhm, either.
Would have been nice if they had brought back the Valkyria SP mechanic from 3 for them in their playable form but that was wishful thinking.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game two days ago and worked through some post-game content yesterday. I have a lot to say but I have to overcome my laziness to write it all out. Look forward to it... soon.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got back to this game after being heavily sidetracked for a while. Just finished chapter 4, so it's still going pretty slow.

After two 5 turn finishes on that last mission I finally pulled together a 2 turn finish, though I did a lot of mid-mission saving and reloading to accomplish it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to 2 turn clear the first mission in chapter 6 on a blind playthrough when the game crashed. I don't even know when my last save was - might have been right at the beginning of the chapter, so I lost all the upgrading and infantry organization I did before the mission too. Pretty mad about it.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles 4 Review:

So I went through and beat the main game and all of the post-game content and I've clocked in around 90 hours. I think when the director said 100 hours to 100% the game he wasn't joking, it was a pretty close estimate (assuming you don't skip any cutscenes). If you just want to beat the game and not bother with side/DLC content or character missions I think it should take maybe 40 hours give or take. I highly doubt people will skip character missions though as they're fun to play and easily accessible.

Let's see if I can write a traditional review from the viewpoint of a gamer who actually had time to engage the whole experience.

MUSIC:

Hiroshi Sakimoto is back and whipped up a bunch of new tracks for us. Nearly the entire game uses new music for everything and the new battle themes are ace. If the dramatic battle music for VC4 doesn't get you hype I don't know what will. I'd like to give props to all the stream viewers who had immediate FF Tactics nostalgia while I was playing.

There is some music I don't like; the "amusing scene" music got on my nerves after a bit.

Also there is slightly too much reuse of VC1 battle music. There are four new VC4 battle themes but they reuse the 10 or so VC1 tracks during the game as well, intermixing them. I feel like battle music is the "signature" of a game, so if Sakimoto can't come back for a VC5, I would encourage Sega to find a new composer instead of reusing themes for certain battles again.

GRAPHICS:

VC4 uses a spruced up version of the CANVAS engine. Right off the bat you can tell the game is not only much more beautiful with a much more varied color palette but also with environmental tricks that didn't exist in VC1. Things like snow deformation and snowfall, rainfall, Valkyrian Blizzard effects, snow and ice-encrusted catwalks and streets, etc. This also extends to things like explosive effects and flames. It's quite something to see a grenade strike close by in this game with the highly improved effects.

Perhaps the biggest buff the PS4 version was able to give the CANVAS engine was the ability to render way more objects and at higher detail. It is not at all an exaggeration to say that this really changes the experience up. In certain missions it is possible to see up to 30 deployed enemy units, something that wasn't possible before. Squad E's detail can easily be seen by just how nicely crafted both Laz and Claude's outfits are.

One thing I wanted to bring attention to is that the game's side characters are a little bit more cartoony in terms of visual design compared to VC1. It's actually unique compared to other games in the Valkyria series. VC1 opted for a bit more realism on the overall scale of style vs. realism, VC2 cranked up the anime style to maximum, and VC3 was more or less Nomura.jpg, so to see a more comical cartoony style for a decent chunk of the cast is actually quite interesting. Though I will say it can cause some clashing sometimes when a cartoony character like Rita is compared to a more realistic character like Jenny; well, no big deal.

Now let's talk about the downsides. This game is in sore need of anti-aliasing. I understand the stylistic choice of CANVAS, but the effect of CANVAS is not lost if you apply AA; quite the opposite, it enhances it. Some of the fuzzier parts of the game like the grass is an eyesore and seeing the jaggies on the winter coats or the hair is a shame. Keep in mind this only applies to battles; the portrait cutscenes definitely have some form of AA or higher res display or higher quality models. The enemy soldier models really need higher quality textures as well; some are really low-res for no real reason, and it's even weirder when things like caltrops and enemy tanks got improved textures in comparison.

The game is 30fps on PS4 and that's a shame, and I don't really understand why that is. Perhaps Sega wanted to play it safe since the 60fps modification to VC1 caused glitches on both the console and PC version with people falling through the "floor" and tanks being unable to ascend or descend hills properly. Or maybe adding in all those big enemy numbers and big maps made maintaining a stable 60 impossible on PS4.

So while there is room for improvement, I thought they did a great job.

UI:

VC4 features an improved version of VC1's UI. A lot of the hang-ups and errors from VC1's UI have been eliminated or improved.
  • No more huge delays when assigning weapons or assigning tank blocks.
  • Can now assign weapons from the mission briefing and R&D.
  • Way less delay from moving from menu to menu.
  • Less appearance delay for almost everything.
Plus convenient features like being able to skip the briefing cutscenes before battle and the portrait cutscenes during battles. These might seem small on paper but they are huge for reducing frustration.

Battle UI improvements include (some incorporated from the portable entries):
  • Special symbol for when units are crouching or crawling when viewing from the map.
  • Special symbol for when units are out of ammo on the map.
  • Special symbol for when units are low on HP or AP on the map.
  • Highly improved icons that actually tell you what a buff and debuff is and plenty of room to show them all.
  • Actual color distinction between destroyable and undestroyable terrain from the map; no more frustration when trying to guess what can actually be destroyed.
  • Red coloration around the border when you're low on health.
Now as for the downsides. More detailed because it's hard to write downsides for UI without going into detail.
  • You can't save during briefing. Which is odd because it's not like you can get trapped there. So if you reorganize your squad or your assigned weapons from the briefing menu's Barracks option and then head back to the main briefing menu, you have to back out to Book Mode, save, then return to briefing, just to save your loadout. If you don't do this and you feel like you are failing the mission due to your equipment or starting position, you will have to load back to Book Mode and reassign everything all over again.
  • Every time you load a save or return from HQ, regardless of where you were originally in Book Mode, it kicks you back to the main story pages. So if you had a bad start to a Skirmish and reload to Book Mode you have to go through all the way through multiple selections to get back to the Skirmish menu. Also every time you reload your save from the title screen it always takes you to the last story page and not where you saved in the Skirmish or DLC menu. Kind of a pain.
  • There is no way to tell if a map has an ace on it before you start a mission. Additionally, there is no way to tell if you have killed an ace in a mission via the UI. Since there's a trophy tied to killing all aces, the only way to make sure you have actually killed an ace is to painstakingly check your weapon list and cross-reference a wiki, which is absurd!
  • Aces really need special coloring to distinguish them from regular and leader units like VC2 and VC3.
  • The only way to tell if you have completed a mission is by either referencing the book page directly or by looking at the mission list in your room. Problem; the mission list in your room references the name of the mission and not what chapter it takes place in. The chapter name and the mission name are different so it can be a real annoyance pinning down the mission. Some new missions don't appear in your room's mission list because an "unlock" consists of the first few cutscenes you have to watch before the battle appears on the page and THEN it shows up in your mission list (but by then you've found it). The game sticks in a small little "NEW" bookmark when a new chapter appears but you have to turn the pages slowly to get to it; and the pages turn pretty slowly, not to mention the chapter selection menu has no "new" indicator. This is a real annoyance! I was frazzled by why I hadn't unlocked the trophy for clearing every mission with an S-Rank, only to discover that I was missing a character mission (Crystal and Minerva) with absolutely zero indication to show that it wasn't unlocked or that it was something I needed to clear. The game should really show you on the Book Mode chapter selection whether or not a mission has been cleared!
  • Unbreakable barricade walls (marked with a black X on the map) are hard to see from the overhead map and because of that sometimes you'll get the wrong idea as to what areas are accessible and what areas are not. This is because the black X doesn't really match the shape of the barricade wall. Small complaint.
  • A few characters have too many "full-screen potential activations", especially ones that are easy to activate. Kai is the biggest offender. You'll select her, and she'll interrupt you multiple times blocking your view while you're just trying to do something simple with these full-screen interruptions. It's a real pain and there should be an option to turn them off. If I hear あいつみたいに one more time…
  • Why on earth is the Order (and Ship Order) menu still hidden inside the pause menu on the overhead map? It should be a dedicated button without menu shenanigans. I checked the trophy list and more people beat the game than used 15 Ship Orders. Considering how strong Ship Orders especially late game that means a lot of people likely forgot that Orders were even in the game. Also why are Orders still limited to that small crappy list presentation? I should be able to see all the Orders at once when choosing instead of dealing with the annoying scrolling. I don't lose anything by having a full-screen Orders menu. These are VC1 leftovers I could do without.
  • The barracks menu where you swap soldiers into your squad could really use an overhaul. Not being able to tab between soldier types and having them all on the same list leads to a lot of annoying scrolling. Not being able to see all 8 potentials of a soldier at once is annoying. Make it easier to tell if a weapon can be reassigned or not. Make it so that the cursor stays at the same place when moving back and forth between menus.
  • Every cutscene in the game is skippable EXCEPT two short scenes during the final boss fight that repeat often enough to be annoying.
So lots of improvement but there's still room for improvement.

GAMEPLAY:

The meat and potatoes. The gameplay has a solid foundation from VC1 but it comes with a boatload of improvements which makes gameplay much better. Scout rushing has been largely eliminated thanks to careful restrictions of R&D which don't allow you to brute force main story missions with overpowered armor upgrades, enemies hitting harder, grenadiers, and the complete removal of anti-interception order "Caution". There's still some problems of single-unit rushing in the game (from Shocktroopers) but because of the varied mission objectives, the high enemy damage, and the tougher defensive choke points you'll find that it's too inefficient and too risky to move quickly unless you give your front-line units proper support from grenadiers and engineers.

If you lose in a mission you now have an additional option to restart from the briefing menu. Before in VC1 you only had the option of retrying from the start of the mission or reloading a save. The majority of the missions have removed the "protagonist dies = game over" as a loss condition, so they would really like you to use the tank (lol).

I really applaud Sega for trying out many different types of missions and mission surprises. There is one cool mission where you storm a fortress and unlock a second section (without flag backup!) and there's also a few multi-level maps where there are more vertical challenges that didn't exist before. The big maps are really awesome and I like the addition of canopies to protect yourself from grenadier fire. A big chunk of missions consists of defeating boss characters or trying to finish missions with boss characters breathing down your neck, which is a lot of fun.

Speaking of bosses… the bosses also are a real threat too, especially Klaus who has a tank with extremely lethal debuffing gunfire that fires while he is moving and some incredible AP values. I think they could have made Crymeria stronger as a boss but I suppose that's up to debate, since if you're not familiar with the game mechanics she might be really tough to handle. Chiara and Nikola are tough cookies when you fight them and they were an enjoyable threat with their high HP and headshots but I think they could have been more of a threat during their own turn, especially considering the player-controlled versions have flashbang grenades that they don't use.

Though most people will notice the tank Hafen only costing 1CP to use at first, the biggest addition to gameplay strategy is Direct Command. With this special ability applied to leaders, you can choose up to two units to join you and follow you across the battlefield. This solves the "low AP units are stuck at the base" problem that plagued VC1. Other additions or ideas from the portable games such as the Order "Immediate Reinforcement" allowing you to call up a unit on the same phase using 2CP and engineers being able to revive units with Ragnaid are a huge help to keeping the flow of battle going.

Grenadiers are an extremely welcome addition to the game. Using them is way too much fun. Whether you're sneak-attacking an an annoying ace to prevent him from dodging or just trying to blast away some crouched enemies, they are almost always highly effective units. Sniping a tank's radiator from long distance is also very satisfying (though a bit hard to do until the last half of the game). They are amazing support units and fit right into the fold of Valkyria Chronicles.

I should also mention in that some of the other classes have received some significant balancing. Lancers have buffed defense allowing them to be tanky units. Engineers have higher base AP and can revive downed units with ragnaid. Lancers and snipers can now team-fire. Lancers being able to team-fire allows you to pull off some silly nonsense in the first half of the game before you get access to more serious anti-tank firepower, which is a lot of fun.

The Orders are largely the same from the first game, but they added in a few Orders from the portable games (increase grenade damage, reload all units, etc.) to increase their scope. Grenadiers can be ordered to increase their effective damage range. The defense boost order is still good (too good in certain battles) but evasion and attack boost are too situational and aim boost still sucks, which is unfortunate. Most of the orders have a use still so that's what is important. Penetration became much less of a god order since it requires specific shocktrooper setups to be used properly and Anti-Tank Attack Boost fulfills more or less the same purpose.

Now that I've spoken about the positive sides to the gameplay, let's talk about the downsides. A few problems that were inherited from previous Valkyria games make their appearance here. Let's talk about statistic-based stuff first. Crawling in grass gives too high of a defense bonus, and being in a base doesn't give a high enough defense bonus. The innate defense of lancers is way too high and allows them to more or less completely ignore interception fire unless it's a fusillade. Which brings me to a different serious problem; Under no circumstance should scouts or shocktroopers have defense-boosting potentials. This creates too many big issues and places these units with defense potentials a cut above the rest when it comes to selection.

For some unexplained reason they brought back the Leader system from VC1, which is its worst iteration. For those who don't know what I am talking about, "Leaders" in VC games are characters that have bonus command points assigned to them directly. Deploying the Leader allots you an extra bonus command point as long as they are alive and standing on the battlefield. The problem is that command points are extremely valuable and a single command point could be the difference between getting an S-Rank or not, so you are more or less forced to deploy Leaders all the time. And since you can't reassign any of the Leader points from the four main characters, you find yourself constantly deploying those same four characters over and over. This makes it so that side characters become heavily neglected, especially characters from the sniper, grenadier, and shocktrooper classes. The game gives you one free Leader assignment but it can only be given to a character with Corporal rank or higher, which means you have to use a character 40 times (instead of the more convenient rank-up system from VC1). All in all it's pretty awful and it makes using side characters feel forced instead of natural, where you are literally selecting a character and ending your turn immediately once you've secured the S-Rank to build up their "usage points".

There are too many missions where you start off with everyone on the main base, meaning losing the main base to the enemy is nearly impossible. Though I suppose that's not a serious problem considering the bulk of the challenges are offense-based, but on missions that ask you to defend points, it's not a good thing. Tanks should not be able to prevent capture of a base as all you have to do is park your vehicle there and enemies have no chance of destroying it.

Side character missions don't seem to have enemy level scaling so more often than not you will bulldoze the mission without much of a challenge from the enemy, which is unfortunate. I think the wiser move would have been to make custom levels, weapons, and map layouts (levels and weapons separate from the leveling you do at HQ). A few side missions are like this, so it's a shame they weren't able to do this for all of them.

VC4 goes back to VC1's critical multiplier system where criticals do 3.5x the normal damage. After thinking about it for a while, I don't like this system. It basically makes headshots the only option and balances the game away from bodyshots nearly entirely. Because of this, guns that rely on number of shots and weapons that rely more on splash damage like mortar lances are pretty useless, and it places way more importance on range over utility (like a DEF down weapon). I think this is more of a personal preference than a downside in the larger picture.

STORY:

The story goes as follows; Gallian citizens join the Federation Army and after several battles are recruited to join Operation Northern Cross, a battle plan that involves taking multiple icebreakers and blitzing the imperial capital, with the end goal of launching a large assault on it and forcing the Empire to surrender.

The four main characters started as childhood friends but drifted apart over time. Claude was a young scaredy-cat, Raz is the guy who thinks with his chaotic gut more than his head, Riley is a somewhat impulsive daughter of an inventor and as her father features prominently in both the plot and her backstory, and Kai is a no-nonsense friend who joined the army due to the machinations of her brother and Raz (which is an amusing side story that has more implications later).

It's extremely difficult to talk about the story without spoiling it. I will say the story is extremely well-threaded. Elements introduced early have great payoff later. There are a lot of fun scenes and sad scenes and some great showdown scenes. I feel like the characterization was done best of all. Minerva is my new favorite character and she easily has the best dialogue in the game. Each character brings some personal drama with them on the battlefield, and I thought they did excellent work making sure this drama wasn't overbearing to the point of ridiculousness.

If there was a weak part I want to bring up early, I felt that some of the dialogue was too simplistically written. This is a problem that plagues a ton of video games but I urge any video game writer to study efficiency in human conversation because man, some of the back and forth dialogue is painfully extended, especially during some of the side missions. I know some people say "The Japanese language is just like that" but I sincerely doubt this. I really do appreciate Raz because he gets right to the point in a natural way faster than anyone, haha.

Regarding the villains, Chiara and Nikola are more of an "unintentional comedy" angle, though I am not sure if that was their intended character design. Belgar was a nice slimy guy but since he's a scientist and not a soldier his impact wasn't felt very much. He largely operates behind the scenes. Klaus is amusing but his plot progression is tied closely to Crymeria, meaning his interaction with Squad E is very minimal. The same goes for Crymeria being tied to Klaus. Forseti is positioned as your main villain, but he doesn't begin directly opposing you until midgame. Forseti has a great connection to the overall plot and interesting backstory but because he's introduced so late his late-game part felt rushed. So while each villain brings something to the table I felt like a real standout villain that was impeding us was missing. They have good chemistry with one another though.

I can see potential complaints with Crymeria being an emotional wreck and needing someone to support and rescue her, but I think her design is obviously meant to be an exact opposite of Selvaria and as a victim of experimentation I don't think it's wrong to write a story where someone like that needs to be saved by someone.

If you remember VC1's story correctly, it was about a power-mad emperor who wished to seize ancient technology to not only conquer Europa but to strike back against those in the Empire who denigrated him and his family to the point of murder. VC2's story is about patriotism, while VC3 focuses heavily on the Darcsen theme and covert operations. VC4's theme is almost squarely about weapons of mass destruction, a theme only lightly touched upon in VC1. It's much more in-depth this time so it's far more enjoyable.

Complaints about the story; there are some scenes, especially near the end of the game, which make no sense whatsoever and break suspension of disbelief (including someone getting shot when they had no reason to be shot, someone taking 15+ minutes to bleed out and die despite being surrounded by able personnel, a villain who somehow manages to perform some long-distance infiltration in a manner of minutes, someone literally dying right in front of someone else but being ignored in favor of military courtesies). One part of the game has an enormous backstory dump which really could've had more inferences earlier. I think they could have spent more time making more realistic scenarios during those times in the story.

FINAL VERDICT:

Excellent game that you should pick up. I have to give the biggest props to the battle director as while I was playing the game I thought everything was designed with the intention of being interesting, fun, and balanced. You can feel the care and polish that went into mechanics and new ideas.

I do have reservations about the clearly lower budget in regards to cutscenes and battle music. But what is there is great enough for anyone with even a slight interest in this game and the series. And everything is voice acted down to the last line, like always, and the Japanese voicework is (mostly) top notch.

The game definitely feels like a signal call to any Valkyria fans left out there to see how many are actually left vs. extremely loud people on social media by relying on the solid foundation that VC1 built. Combine that with its standalone nature and you can easily pick up this game as your starting point in the series.

DLC NOTES:

The DLC in the game is very overpriced for the Japanese version. I'll list it out here:

Edy's Special Mission: Pre-order DLC
Squad 7 DLC: Special Edition only. 11,000 JPY = ~$100 USD
Squad E's Missing Captain: 1,080 JPY = ~$10 USD
Squad E's Beach Vacation: 1,620 JPY = ~$15 USD
Hard-EX (Expert) Skirmishes: 1,080 JPY = ~$10 USD
The Two Valkyria: 1,620 JPY = ~$15 USD
Season Pass Including the above four DLCs: 4,320 JPY = ~$40 USD (Saving $10)

This DLC (and its pricing) was all revealed at the last minute, likely in response to pre-order numbers to fleece the hardcore, and not even attempting to hide that it was content that was completely finished prior to the game's release. I find this rather sad and extremely scummy.

What you get for finishing each DLC:

Edy's Special Mission: Ability to use Edy during the main story
Squad 7 DLC: Ability to use Squad 7 main members and Edelweiss in the main story (Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, Largo, Isara)
Squad E's Missing Captain: Exclusive weapon drops
Squad E's Beach Vacation: Swimsuits for Claude, Raz, Riley, Kai, Minerva
Hard-EX (Expert) Skirmishes: Exclusive weapon drops
The Two Valkyria: Ability to use Crymeria, Selvaria, Nikola, Chiara during the main story along with their swimsuits. Nikola and Chiara's weapons also become available to use.

Criticisms of these DLC: (Criticisms do tie into the fact that missions don't scale to your level and thus, it's too easy to turn them into a cakewalk).

Edy's Special Mission: No dialogue or cutscenes whatsoever. One intermediate mission and then you can use Edy. Honestly felt like a waste of time.
Squad 7 DLC: Great cutscenes and dialogue, but the missions were much too easy and the unlocks aren't really worth it, and this is coming from a huge VC1 fanboy. You'll be spending so much time unlocking the side character story missions for VC4 that you won't have a chance to use the VC1 guys.
Squad E's Missing Captain: Amusing cutscenes. Other than that, there's nothing really good to get from this at all.
Squad E's Beach Vacation: The missions in this one actually put up a fight if you don't fight at max level. The game is essentially challenging you to unlock all the swimsuits as early as possible. I think the swimsuit quality is fairly weak minus Minerva and Kai, so by majority it's a bit of a letdown. Up to you if you think the swimsuits and the sexy cutscenes and still shots are worth $15 to be honest.
Hard-EX (Expert) Skirmishes: Exclusive weapon drops. The challenge on these are not half-bad but they could stand to be tougher. VC1's Hard-EX missions were much, much tougher than these. I'm a bit half and half on whether I could recommend these. If you're a VC1 expert I think you may be let down.
The Two Valkyria: Selvaria is a stupidly overpowered unit for many missions, since she is a Scout class and is more or less totally invincible you can completely break through the enemy formation, destroy all mines, distract all enemy attention and make missions cakewalks. Crymeria is not overpowered amusingly enough because invincibility on a Grenadier class is not important and her interception fire has terrible accuracy. Chiara and Nikola are really interesting characters but their character-exclusive flashbang grenades also break the game. So my criticism is that (in spite of Selvaria's sexy swimsuit) that unless you're very interested in paying money to completely smash the balance of the game, this DLC isn't worth the heavy price tag.

The Squad 7 DLC and Edy's DLC was never put up for sale. So if you wanted to make sure you got all the content you had to be willing to spend over $140. I sincerely don't think at most a handful of missions is worth $10+; probably the only DLC that's somewhat worth your dollar is the Hard-EX DLC for the cool weapon drops and the challenge, and even that's pushing it.

If you look at the USA release of the game, it appears they're following the exact same release of the game and DLC as the Japanese version (Edy mission exlusive preorder, Squad 7 DLC exclusive to the limited edition) and I highly doubt they're going to step on their Japanese branch's toes by suddenly offering the DLC for less or actually selling the Squad 7 DLC. I'm not here to preach about what you should and shouldn't buy, just giving my personal opinion, but awareness is key to decision making and I want people to be absolutely aware of what they're paying for and why I think this is some very scummy business (and no, "every other company does it" doesn't suddenly make it better for you, the player).

I recommend the game but I am very disappointed in Sega with what they've done with the DLC and its pricing. And I don't think Sega / Atlus USA is in any position to do things differently for us.

Last edited: