• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, damn. At least I can have fun with the new world modifiers, gonna make the best structures that I possibly can. Just need to figure out how to make ground flat first on console lol.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
it's functionally identical - there are two limits to terraforming - a 'soft cap' for which the hoe's leveling function works to, and a significantly larger 'hard cap' for which is the maximum total height you can raise/lower terrain vs its original condition. the hard cap is uniform across the board. the general idea is to hoe-raise and mining pick stuff to 'generally level' an area (which resets the midpoint for the softcap) then hoe's level function to get it perfectly flat

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's functionally identical - there are two limits to terraforming - a 'soft cap' for which the hoe's leveling function works to, and a significantly larger 'hard cap' for which is the maximum total height you can raise/lower terrain vs its original condition. the hard cap is uniform across the board. the general idea is to hoe-raise and mining pick stuff to 'generally level' an area (which resets the midpoint for the softcap) then hoe's level function to get it perfectly flat
So I should try and aim for the soft cap?
you guys playing coop or solo?
Both, mostly coop

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
tl;dr really is use the other two tools to get a ballpark then the leveling function to take it the rest of the way - the overly long explanation is if you hit a limit and are wondering why

unless you're trying to e.g. make an island in deep water or level a mountain chances are you never see the hard cap

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
In the middle of the Palworld and Enshrouded craze my group of friends decided that now would be a perfect time to get into Valheim instead lol. We are hooked.

We would like to get a dedicated server going can anyone recommend a nice server hosting service for this game? Something that is reliable, simple to setup and if possible not too expensive.

It annoys that survival games are not all copying the Grounded thing where you and your friends share a single synced save in the cloud that anyone can use even when some of the others are offline and it advances things for everyone, and you just join the session if anyone else is already using the save.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
It annoys that survival games are not all copying the Grounded thing where you and your friends share a single synced save in the cloud that anyone can use even when some of the others are offline and it advances things for everyone, and you just join the session if anyone else is already using the save.

we used to pile into a discord and post saves for satisfactory and valheim (lol cheapos) with a searchable keyword.

when you want to play you search that keyword to see if the last activity was a checkout (means someone is currently playing) or checkin (no one's playing) - then you either ping the person who has the save to host so you can play together, or checkout the save yourself

was really rudimentary and took discipline but it worked well enough

edit: to answer the prior question i used to use GTXGaming for Valheim and it was a decent enough experience that didn't break the bank, but i really don't have any point of reference because it p much was the first and last time i ever rented a box instead of setting up one on my own

browser-based FTP to access files for grabbing and tweaking saves/configs/mods/etc

edit2: since the thread is bumped, have some pictures of my recent valheim build lol (creative mode; i've paid my dues enough with various survival runs and CBA mining black marble in the current shitshow that's mistlands)

ac0rJpu.jpeg

jo7Y154.jpeg

OOgqs0c.jpeg

zAP0Iw7.jpeg

zTzTS4C.jpeg

MAB6vT5.jpeg

8PR78nJ.jpeg

DT2xYmS.jpeg

PGVqwBx.jpeg

UXgRAiS.jpeg

and a video walkthrough

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMN4ZF7Pq8I

because i'm an absolute clown i also recorded rebuilding the entire thing from scratch in two sittings (across 6 hours) since a few folks were asking for a tutorial. linked in desc of above vid

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
In the middle of the Palworld and Enshrouded craze my group of friends decided that now would be a perfect time to get into Valheim instead lol. We are hooked.

We would like to get a dedicated server going can anyone recommend a nice server hosting service for this game? Something that is reliable, simple to setup and if possible not too expensive.

When I looked into it, a hosted server seemed expensive. Luckily one of the friends in our group just runs a server PC that our world is hosted on.

rostad

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, mods please let me know if this is not allowed.
I've played all content available in Valheim when it released in 2021, before Mistlands.
I've been running a dedicated server with a few randoms for a short while and we've just killed The Elder so we haven't really done much yet progression wise.

The server is running 24/7 on an Asus MINI-PC PN53 with Gbit connection.

If anyone feels like me, to start fresh, we are looking for more players.
We allow client side mods like plant everything, inventory and equipment etc.
Server credentials: Server: rostad.tplinkdns.com:2456
Pwd: dm me

We have a small discord running to show off our build and stuff too you can join here: https://discord.gg/Z7VHpsgy
Some dude has been breeding wolves like crazy so feel free to grab a few if you join! :)

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
for some reason the mobs and armor are giving me huge WoW vibes

it's like if icecrown citadel went the other way for temperature

edit: oh shit lol

edit2: spoilered since this is all beta content and not actually released released - the new build pieces

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to wait for the full release, but with the public beta out I can't imagine it being too much longer. I'm ready to put another 100+ hours into the game once its out.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to wait for the full release, but with the public beta out I can't imagine it being too much longer. I'm ready to put another 100+ hours into the game once its out.

actually on the topic of full release (i know i said this for mistlands and had a pie-in-face moment) i might sit *this* one out if the next update is 1.0

i don't think they're gonna actually talk about that till Ashlands has been out for a while though, so decisions, decisions