• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally Vergil's second genocide to gain more power following erecting the Teminegru.

But this one feels more offensive because Vergil learns literally nothing despite V going "I feel really bad about it" because the actual minute he comes back he tries to kill Dante for "reasons".

Exactly. Like in DMC3 you got the feeling Vergil was at least kind of shamed by everything that happened, losing to Dante as badly as he did and then getting himself beaten into a coma by Mundus.

DMC5 Vergil is somehow WORSE than any of his previous incarnations.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I really enjoyed playing as V. I felt that Capcom was successful in translating V's human fragility into the ludonarrative. He was far weaker than Dante and Nero and the gameplay loop reinforced the character identity and vice versa.

Also he totally reminds me of playing as MAGIC USER in Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara lmao

3wktKch.jpg

It's just another game on the pile of "let's humanize this mass murderer by giving them a kid" games. Even though in this particular case he wants nothing to do with said kid, spends no time with said kid, and learns literally nothing by the end of the story.
Oh my god, why did you have to remind me of Nero being his son? I'm trying really hard to ignore it. šŸ™ˆ
I think the tower thing from 3 is a bit overblown and was never meant to be seen like that. And we always assumed him as a tragic character, with the trauma and guilt coming from Eva's death.
So take this, don't let him ruin another city, instead have him admit is previous wrongdoings - he always knew were wrong and always felt bad for - be on the "good" side for once, apologize, make up for it as much as possible, while not expecting others to forgive you. Also keep the emphasizing of how much he suffered as Nelo Angelo.
There. Done.

But this one feels more offensive because Vergil learns literally nothing despite V going "I feel really bad about it" because the actual minute he comes back he tries to kill Dante for "reasons".
It's so infuriating, since they even had some good ideas here and there!

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Like in DMC3 you got the feeling Vergil was at least kind of shamed by everything that happened, losing to Dante as badly as he did and then getting himself beaten into a coma by Mundus.

DMC5 Vergil is somehow WORSE than any of his previous incarnations.

It kinda annoys me how V goes on this whole spiel of "a man must pursue his own justice, and the brothers disagree on the fundamental reason why they exist" when there is no deep reasoning for their disagreements.

They don't even hate each other and they actually like each other but pretend they don't. Dante and Vergil are 2 fucking idiots who have mommy and daddy issues, but it feels like Capcom just needed to give a reason to do "Dante vs Vergil" again but what they gave is the dumbest reasoning to have that boss fight.

The whole story is "Vergil is mad he got beat by Dante/Mundus and Dante again while he was Nelo Angelo, cut's Neros arm off and does another genocide for power because he wants to kill Dante because he lost to him, feels bad he did a genocide... but still wants to kill Dante"

Dante and Vergil are fucking idiots.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only was he my favorite character in DMCV, his play style one of the the most fun I ever had in any action game so I'm on complete opposite side of this opinion.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was boring too, but I *hate* puppet characters in fighting games so I'm really really biased. It would have taken a miracle for me to really like how he played.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
This is literally Vergil's second genocide to gain more power following erecting the Teminegru.

As much as I think 5's story is definitely nonsense, I feel like I gotta interject: to be fair to Vergil, it was Dante who was all "it's on sight" upon his revival, and attacked him, first. Then he just fucks off and sits on his tree-made lawn chair and waits for Dante to show up. I sometimes wonder if there was going to be more to that scene, since Dante's "GET OUTTA THE WAY, NERO!" comes off really out of place when Nero...was both a) not in the way at all, and b) just standing there looking stupid for most of the scene.

Like you say in your later post, Dante and Vergil are two idiots operating one shared brain cell, and this game just flanderizes that issue to ridiculous levels.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda annoys me how V goes on this whole spiel of "a man must pursue his own justice, and the brothers disagree on the fundamental reason why they exist" when there is no deep reasoning for their disagreements.

They don't even hate each other and they actually like each other but pretend they don't. Dante and Vergil are 2 fucking idiots who have mommy and daddy issues, but it feels like Capcom just needed to give a reason to do "Dante vs Vergil" again but what they gave is the dumbest reasoning to have that boss fight.

The whole story is "Vergil is mad he got beat by Dante/Mundus and Dante again while he was Nelo Angelo, cut's Neros arm off and does another genocide for power because he wants to kill Dante because he lost to him, feels bad he did a genocide... but still wants to kill Dante"

Dante and Vergil are fucking idiots.

Honestly I kind of think what should have happened was NO Dante vs. Vergil fight. I know that's blasphemy but they could've easily added one in for funsies as a bonus fight.

Instead, the fight should've just been Nero vs. Vergil, with Vergil testing his son to see if he's worthy of the power he inherited. Actually have the two of them interact meaningfully beyond Vergil just being a shithead and Nero going into rage dump mode for basically no reason.

The manga made a not so bad set up for the new reasoning, how they fought as kids, how Eva treated Vergil unfair, how this mixed into the demons' attack. But throws it out the window with contradicting stuff without sense once more.
You could have gone with this new reasoning, if done well. But again, it wasn't done well. (And the old one was much better anyway.)

As much as I think 5's story is definitely nonsense, I feel like I gotta interject: to be fair to Vergil, it was Dante who was all "it's on sight" upon his revival, and attacked him, first. Then he just fucks off and sits on his tree-made lawn chair and waits for Dante to show up. I sometimes wonder if there was going to be more to that scene, since Dante's "GET OUTTA THE WAY, NERO!" comes off really out of place when Nero...was both a) not in the way at all, and b) just standing there looking stupid for most of the scene.
I hate Dante so much in the later scenes. He comes off as quite aggressive from the get go.
People like to explain, he's just so fed up with Vergil doing shit over and over. But I wouldn't have expected it from previous games. All of the scenes are so bad, and even when Dante tries to reason with Vergil a tiny bit, it is so half-assed, it's laughable.
Dante isn't done well here, either.
(And yeah, that out of the way quote is really super, super weird. ^^)

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Huh? I actually liked V more than any other character in that game. He sorta looks like me and isn't a total douchebag plus I loved the method of engagement and animation as well as his design.

I get that you aren't actively engaging 90% of the time but the change up to actually distancing from enemies was super refreshing imo.

Oct 25, 2017

Like you say in your later post, Dante and Vergil are two idiots operating one shared brain cell, and this game just flanderizes that issue to ridiculous levels.

That's true.

I always find the take of "Dante has depression because he killed Vergil the first time" kinda weak because the moment his brother comes back, Dante tries to kill him again.

When Nero the character with 2 brain cells (since he spends so much of the game really mad Dante called him dead weight) is the voice of reason by saying "hey idiots, you don't need to kill each other" the actual rivalry between Dante and Vergil gets really stupid.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I cant finish the game because of V. Just so boring.

Should have done a RE style play through. You pick one character and play through with them

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I kind of think what should have happened was NO Dante vs. Vergil fight. I know that's blasphemy but they could've easily added one in for funsies as a bonus fight.

Instead, the fight should've just been Nero vs. Vergil, with Vergil testing his son to see if he's worthy of the power he inherited. Actually have the two of them interact meaningfully beyond Vergil just being a shithead and Nero going into rage dump mode for basically no reason.

I'd actually agree on this. I think the actual game wanted to use V as a substitute for that relationship because V and Nero are together for most of the game but V even as "Vergil's humanity" doesn't really exhibit many of the qualities that make Vergil Vergil.

The whole reasoning for Nero wanting to stop Dante and Vergil from fighting is literally "wow, I have a dad" even though his dad is a selfish piece of shit. V doesn't really count as "Nero and Vergil spending time together" because it is a very minimal part of Vergil as a whole person.

The game feels more centered on Vergil and Dante's rivalry compared to Vergil being Nero's father.

In the actual game Dante vs Vergil feels like the real fight, while Nero vs Vergil feels like a victory lap.

I dunno if it's because I am not great with using Dante and am much better with Nero, but Nero getting his DT in the final mission makes that fight feel more like the victory lap than the real fight.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
yeah he sucks. neat character, but not fun to play as. I don't like replaying DMC5 entirely because of him. no thanks

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually agree on this. I think the actual game wanted to use V as a substitute for that relationship because V and Nero are together for most of the game but V even as "Vergil's humanity" doesn't really exhibit many of the qualities that make Vergil Vergil.

The whole reasoning for Nero wanting to stop Dante and Vergil from fighting is literally "wow, I have a dad" even though his dad is a selfish piece of shit. V doesn't really count as "Nero and Vergil spending time together" because it is a very minimal part of Vergil as a whole person.

The game feels more centered on Vergil and Dante's rivalry compared to Vergil being Nero's father.

In the actual game Dante vs Vergil feels like the real fight, while Nero vs Vergil feels like a victory lap.

I dunno if it's because I am not great with using Dante and am much better with Nero, but Nero getting his DT in the final mission makes that fight feel more like the victory lap than the real fight.

No, you're not wrong, it's basically impossible to lose against Vergil as Nero, especially the first time around. The infinite DT means that you basically have to try to die.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
V isn't great and had way too much wasted potential, but even on DMD I'd rather play him than do shit like play Dante or Lucia in DMC2, or play Rachael in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 or 2

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here I was reading the thread title, wondering if you were talking about Cyberpunk 2077 or Metal Gear Solid V.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I really enjoyed him, favorite character of the game in fact. Once he clicked for me, I didn't want to stop using him.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I hate Dante so much in the later scenes. He comes off as quite aggressive from the get go.
People like to explain, he's just so fed up with Vergil doing shit over and over. But I wouldn't have expected it from previous games. All of the scenes are so bad, and even when Dante tries to reason with Vergil a tiny bit, it is so half-assed, it's laughable.
Dante isn't done well here, either.
(And yeah, that out of the way quote is really super, super weird. ^^)

And to me, Dante would've had every right to be DONE with Vergil's shit. After all, the incident at Redgrave WAS his fault, even if it was basically Vergil making a "fucky-wucky" he couldn't have known would happen.

But it would've met more to me if, even after they had their initial encounter (because hell, at this point, it's basically how they show love to each other, in a weird way), the two could've just admitted that they're both "tired of this shit". Then things could've focused more on Vergil and Nero, instead, because that was the relationship that was being seemingly built up through Nero and V's interactions...but we got nothing.

That's true.

I always find the take of "Dante has depression because he killed Vergil the first time" kinda weak because the moment his brother comes back, Dante tries to kill him again.

When Nero the character with 2 brain cells (since he spends so much of the game really mad Dante called him dead weight) is the voice of reason by saying "hey idiots, you don't need to kill each other" the actual rivalry between Dante and Vergil gets really stupid.

Yep. Again, the focus of the story should've really been on Nero and Vergil, because Vergil, as V, spent most of his time with Nero. Even if they didn't pay heed to the prequel novel's assertation that V knew all along that Nero was his/Vergil's kid, the drama that was there between father and son was much more meaningful than Dante v. Vergil for the umpteenth time.

CelticKennedy

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 18, 2019
Thought this was a CP2077 thread, but yeah I also didn't like him in DMC5.
Heck no. That's a bannable offense here!

I didn't have that much of a problem with V. He did start to overstay his welcome a bit though. I just had way more fun with the other characters.

I can see him being really useful with the co-op stuff. I actually wish they did that more. Or at least eventually had co-op bloody palace.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'll say on the subject of the story (since this is supposed to be a topic about the game play) is that V's overall story influence feels like an overt side effect of the game's writers treating Vergil himself - and its overall narrative - as fanservice. Dante and Vergil choosing to fight each other, along with the plot being hijacked the moment Vergil is resurrected, all exists because "why else should Vergil exist in DMC if for no other reason than to cross swords with Dante?" In the end he has the effect of being a black hole on the narrative, almost entirely existing as a means to relitigate the iconic sibling battle.

I genuinely consider it sort of a consequence of the game's long hiatus period that characters like uncle Dante and Vergil became deified in their iconography that DMC5 subtly exists as a "greatest hits" retelling more than anything that concretely is meant to serve as the conclusion of Dante and Vergil's sibling rivalry, because even in the context of DMC itself, much of the things that's still held up as classic about DMC3 are things that only really encompass a fraction of the series' overall content. Nero himself is hilariously de-emphasized throughout the campaign despite the fact that the torch should be passed on by now, though it doesn't ever quite feel like that's the case.

And who knows, maybe that was enough this time given the series' absence, even if the narrative ages in such a sour way under scrutiny that you sort of realize DMC5's plot feels like they mixed the beat-for-beat elements of Street Fighter V and MvCI, just with more charming character writing.

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed using him but there's no precision there and devil may cry is about absolute control and precision. Feels like he should be in a different game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It feels like they got in trouble with this character. Dmc5 feels like a game where Nero and Dante would have been the main playable character and V a separate ways campaign or DLC, rather than a main character. Its not really possible to achieve any great synergy with the demons reliably, feels much more like a battle system built for a action RPG like Dragons Dogma.

Nero's great tho, who complained about him I hope that person gets juggled in the air by a motorbike sword and beat up by a weapon made out of bananas

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
After reaching his chapter I was immediately turned off. I was already not excited about the game tbh, the environments were very boring, and his gameplay was the tip of the iceberg.

I really want to try it again sometime, though.

And to me, Dante would've had every right to be DONE with Vergil's shit. After all, the incident at Redgrave WAS his fault, even if it was basically Vergil making a "fucky-wucky" he couldn't have known would happen.

But it would've met more to me if, even after they had their initial encounter (because hell, at this point, it's basically how they show love to each other, in a weird way), the two could've just admitted that they're both "tired of this shit". Then things could've focused more on Vergil and Nero, instead, because that was the relationship that was being seemingly built up through Nero and V's interactions...but we got nothing.
None of them have meaningful interactions with each other. To me it seems, with making a huge mystery out of who V really is, they ruined their own narrative.
There are many hints, that Dante knew the whole time, who V is. And they could have used that to reconcile in a way. But no. No one, especially not the player, has to know who V is. So it stays quite meaningless between them. (And Dante is also not too nice to dying V.)
Same goes for V and Nero. V knows everything, but won't give himself away. At the end, Nero is just another tool for him to use.
And Vergil doesn't even know he has a son, until the last 5 minutes. (We still don't know anything about how Nero came to be, too. I doubt, Capcom would make it dark in any kind of way, but Nero is most likely an accident.)

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Play more action games if you think that.

V's implementation has issues but there are infinitely worse options.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Break this
heavy chain
That
does freeze my bones
around!

Aug 2, 2018
Til this I dont know if he's bad because i never cared to learn to play him or he's actually bad..either way, he's the main reason why i never went back for more dmc 5 runs...here's to getting the ps5 and DMC5:SE and just blasting through his campagn

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Fully agree, main reason I stopped trying to platinum DMCV, I can easily get S Ranks and SSS in combat with Nero or Dante, with V I can barely get A Ranks and pass A in combat hate how much gimmicky his gameplay is.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
V was like, kinda whatever to me, not bad but not good. his stages werent too hard but they were unmemorable

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's half baked in the worst possible way. I was hoping Special Edition might do something about him but nope.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Hard disagree, especially on him being worse on the higher difficulties. I find him much better on them because you can't just button mash your way to victory, as enemies are more aggressive and your familiars not nigh invinicible. If you find his damage output low, make sure you're utilizing Griffin and Shadow's Devil Triggers and Nightmare. V builds DT so fast you can use them quite liberally.

OP
OP
Wing Scarab

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why bother making a thread if you didn't want to have a discussion? Lol
You make no sense. I can create a topic to vent and still have a discussion around the issues with the game. That isn't going to change my mind about the character because at the end of the day when I go play the game, the character will still be shit.

Also this topic isn't about asking people to come and change my mind.

Last edited:

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved him and thought his playstlye was fun and unique but had flaws. I would love for his playstyle to return and expanded on