• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bdf9505e4b04367a87dcbc1
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-kills-utah-mayor-guard-member-in-afghanistan
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...killed-afghanistan-insider-attack/1883961002/

merlin_146323008_aea9a727-7ad9-4f04-85d3-c8e8c2f5c9b1-jumbo.jpg

NORTH OGDEN, Utah — The call had come again. Brent Taylor, the mayor of North Ogden and a major in the Utah National Guard, would be going to Afghanistan for his fourth deployment.

He told his constituents about it on Facebook in January, leaning into the camera to explain that he had been called to serve his country "whenever and however I can" and that he would be gone for a year, as part of a team helping to train an Afghan Army commando battalion. "Service is really what leadership is all about," he told them.

He said goodbye to his wife, Jennie, and their seven children, and turned over his municipal duties to his friend Brent Chugg. "You need to keep safe," Mr. Chugg told him. "I will," Major Taylor replied.

He did not make it home.

Brent Taylor (R) posted a video imploring Americans to unify and vote after witnessing 4 million voters turning put during a terrorist event shortly before he died. He was a good Republican, and true American.

Rest in peace.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
Are the deployments mandatory? Even after doing 3 already? Aren't there some leeways based on prior deployments, family etc ?

Nevertheless, rest in peace.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Commentary
"Service is really what leadership is all about," he told them.
Unless it's serving out a leadership role you were elected to, apparently?

I mean, condolences, but it strikes me as kind of a dick move to seek and fill the mayor's seat if you're in a position where you might have to just leave town for a year.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
A true hero.My heart breaks for his family.RIP
How is he a hero? For having seven kids while being an active member of the military, knowing he had to go to area's with a large risk of him dying?

Soldiers aren't heroes. They are tragic victims of the idiotic leadership of their country.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inappropriate Commentary/Joke
How is he a hero? For having seven kids while being an active member of the military, knowing he had to go to area's with a large risk of him dying?

Soldiers aren't heroes. They are tragic victims of the idiotic leadership of their country.

Heroically never pulling out?

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Ugh. US military seems insane. I don't understand why anyone would sign up for that bullshit.
"Duty" and "patriotism" is probably the go to answer here, but to me thats still pathologic.
I don't know about him but a ton of people sign to avoid college debt or merely need some kind of source of income. Usually you aren't killed in Afghanistan, though so it is really unfortunate he did.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is the thread to keep something to yourself if you have nothing nice to say. He died trying to train Afghani forces.

My condolences to his family, wife, children, parents and friends.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a hero for leaving seven kids. :( Should be forbidden to let someone like him go to war. Also fuck war.

He should still rest in peace. Great person but wars like this are fucking pointless and it makes my blood boil.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Taylor was fatally shot by a commando trainee during an insider "green-on-blue" attack. Training the Afghan National Army and getting them to be self sufficient is part of the handover strategy. I'm guessing Taylor knew the importance of his role.

RIP.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is awful. RIP

I mean, condolences, but it strikes me as kind of a dick move to seek and fill the mayor's seat if you're in a position where you might have to just leave town for a year.

Good Republican.

Huh.

RIP.
Jesus christ

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is so weird to see an active mayor being deployed to the frontlines, like, I would understand this in times of your country being invaded, but not in a case like this.

Anyway, at least he earned my respect by calling people to vote, RIP

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that National Guard members could get shipped of to Afghanistan.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Posted by someone who apparently has no concept of what the mayor of a town of less than 20,000 actually does. It's nearly a completely ceremonial and civic post and the people who elected him would have been aware of his status with the National Guard.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ some of you shitting this thread up.

He was a national guardsman serving his country. I don't think he expected a member of our ally's security force to betray and murder him

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Taylor was fatally shot by a commando trainee during an insider "green-on-blue" attack. Training the Afghan National Army and getting them to be self sufficient is part of the handover strategy. I'm guessing Taylor knew the importance of his role.

RIP.

That "handover" has been going on for almost 12 years if not longer. Shame he died for a project with no end in sight.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. He died doing something honourable.

And not to be insensitive but I don't think a National Guardsman would have to do four deployments, so he likely volunteered to train the Afghan Army soldiers.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rest in peace!

Also I am fucking disgusted at this thread, even though I kind of expected these kind of reactions.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, left behind seven kids :[

Mormons are encouraged to start having kids young and have plenty of them. I have 4 Mormon uncles and each one has at least 6 kids, one has 9. A family reunion with 7th generation Mormons is something else.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate commentary; accumulated related infractions
If this guy had ever been introduced in any other context as a republican, most people here would rightly consider him a scumbag. This individual was part of the same organization as many of those politicians we all despise, he grouped himself willingly with racists, nazis and homophobes. The exact same organization that is trying to destroy the planet for profit. I don't really understand why him taking part in a war that he chose to join somehow turns him into a hero.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's your problem with what I said. The OP made a point to say that part, unnecessarily. It's entirely irrelevant. He made a point to say 'good republican'. I don't think republicans are good people.

I still think it's sad he was killed and leaving behind children.
The dude died, let us know how you feel about Republicans some other time

Oct 27, 2017
The dude died, let us know how you feel about Republicans some other time

Say that to the OP? I replied to the editorializing in the OP.

If the OP hadnt said that part, my post just would've just been RIP. And yes, I'm aware he died, which is why I said RIP, and talked about how it's sad he died and left behind so many kids.

If you have an issue with me replying to the content in the OP, I don't know what to tell ya.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If the OP hadnt said that part, my post just would've just been RIP. And yes, I'm aware he died, which is why I said RIP, and talked about how it's sad he died and left behind so many kids.
Yep, OP shared his opinion and threw that in there, we can share ours. Makes you wonder the purpose of the thread putting that in there.

The dude could have cured cancer, he still supports racism, sexism, and fascism. I feel horrible for the kids left behind, and if there's a way to donate to them I will.

BronsonLee I only got roped in because I haven't ha my coffee yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.