• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I cant believe we wont have a Postal System here. Like this shit literally fucks with my mind. What the hell are we doing!

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
I cant believe we wont have a Postal System here. Like this shit literally fucks with my mind. What the hell are we doing!
This is what a section of our country wants. They want our institutions to either be closed, or entirely privatized. It's crazy to me that they worship the "free market" this much. Fedex and UPS aren't going to ship shit out to rural Alaska for a reasonable fee, it's going to cost a shitton if they even do it.

Oct 29, 2017
USPS effectively subsidizes private delivery companies. They don't want to kill it, just keep it in a permanent state of life support so it cannot compete but can continually be leeched off of at the taxpayer's expense. The fact that it can be used as a bad-government punching bag is a political bonus.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This is what a section of our country wants. They want our institutions to either be closed, or entirely privatized. It's crazy to me that they worship the "free market" this much. Fedex and UPS aren't going to ship shit out to rural Alaska for a reasonable fee, it's going to cost a shitton if they even do it.
Next-level math by the Republicans here. Americans won't be able to vote by mail or lobby for vote by mail... if there's no postal system.

Then, just strategically infect the crucial swing states with COVID-19 come the fall. Force people who want to vote to jeopardize their health (mandate no masks at voting sites for proper identification purposes), roll out the standard vote suppression tactics and, presto, Trump has been re-elected to a second term.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in rural Alabama. I will be screwed if the USPS shuts down. Ugh, I've had nothing but problems with FedEx out here and I dread the day USPS shuts down.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
One of the advantages of post offices is that they are centrally located for ease of access. Most UPS and FedEx locations are in industrial parks and strip malls.

The Friedman logic that the moral purpose is to make a profit has poisoned the well of society, from essential government services to health care.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
This is to be expected when they were ordered to pay for something like 20 years worth of employee benefits in advance. Including employees they haven't even hired yet.
Not 20 years. Seventy years. The GOP is making them fully fund the retirements of employees who aren't even born yet. The slow murder of the USPS wasn't subtle.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Not 20 years. Seventy years. The GOP is making them fully fund the retirements of employees who aren't even born yet. The slow murder of the USPS wasn't subtle.
What's really sad about that situation is that the 30-year pension isn't even that good. I've worked for USPS since 2018 and I quickly learned why so many of the employees are well into their 60s and 70s. They stick around as long as possible to get to the 35-year or 40-year point. It's actually kind of sad, seeing them just work and work because that's all they have to live for. By the time they get the pension they want, they'll be on their way to the grave.

What USPS needs is a much younger workforce. Mail processors have to be physically able, but there are plenty of people working these jobs that are just old and slow. It creates unnecessary inefficiencies. Once a person passes 60-70 they should only have to work in manual sorting, sitting in a cube. But the system isn't built for that. It's built to let people work in whatever capacity they want for as long as possible.

MrDonutHouse

Feb 13, 2019
I get advertisements sent to my mail literally every day. If these mail system clogging packages arent actually benefitting the system, then maybe right now is a grand time to increase the pricing on commercial mail ads.
The mail system gets much needed funding from companies that use it regularly, and hopefully the average person gets less garbage put in their mailboxes.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta be honest here, I really don't care about the USPS. Antiquated tech which barely has a use case in modern society. As with everything, I'm sure there's some proportion of disadvantaged people which would theoretically get hit the hardest. Sucks man, but majority of mail is just information which can be sent far more efficiently through digital format, with far less carbon footprint to boot. The whole concept is ridiculous in 2020.

Also, it's been a plan by the GOP to dismantle the USPS for many, many years. They hate mail in voting. This is known. We shouldn't be using mail for voting anyways. Put it online, don't let ignorance and fear mongering sway us from this. It is possible to do it security. They will cry voter fraud just as hard for mail in voting as they would for an online portal.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this play will actually work with voters though. Rural communities depend on USPS, there's no money in it for anyone else. Your double screwed if you have crappy internet.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Gotta be honest here, I really don't care about the USPS. Antiquated tech which barely has a use case in modern society. As with everything, I'm sure there's some proportion of disadvantaged people which would theoretically get hit the hardest. Sucks man, but majority of mail is just information which can be sent far more efficiently through digital format, with far less carbon footprint to boot. The whole concept is ridiculous in 2020.
This post has so much privilege, it practically comes with its own fine china dining set.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I work at the post office and it's been crazy. We are getting more mail then Christmas all mainly packages. Working six day weeks 10 - 12 hour days. People haven't been to work in weeks and we don't know if there ok or sick. No one is talking about or addressing the issues going on regarding us shutting down. The response to the coronavirus has been half hazard at best.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Ending the postal service is like ending indoor plumbing. Is there any so-called first world country without a postal service?

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Also, it's been a plan by the GOP to dismantle the USPS for many, many years. They hate mail in voting. This is known. We shouldn't be using mail for voting anyways. Put it online, don't let ignorance and fear mongering sway us from this. It is possible to do it security. They will cry voter fraud just as hard for mail in voting as they would for an online portal.
Holy shit this is so fucking ignorant. What a terrible post. HOLY SHIT. You are so ignorant.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

do you know how many small businesses use USPS? imagine businesses needing to spend 8$ to send envelopes to people instead of a stamp.

i have read many, many foolish posts on the internet in my time, but this is a doozy. you unequivocally, and with pride it seems, have no idea what you're talking about

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
One of the advantages of post offices is that they are centrally located for ease of access. Most UPS and FedEx locations are in industrial parks and strip malls.

The Friedman logic that the moral purpose is to make a profit has poisoned the well of society, from essential government services to health care.
Except, Friedman specifically exempts government, healthcare service providers and education service providers from the profit imperative

Oct 25, 2017

I am utterly gobsmacked by the multiple levels of ignorance on display.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a big issue. I need to be able to vote VIA mail. I don't want my mom having to go out and put her self at risk by fucking.

There's all these concerns and then we still need to worry about Russia.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I read shit like this and it really helps explain a lot in this world. Not good news, but it explains it i guess.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'll die on this hill. It's antiquated and unneeded for the vast majority of use cases. Get rid of it.
You are reveling in ignorance. Have you ever mailed a package? Do you know how to send things outside of a city? Do you know how much more expensive it is to ship with FedEx or UPS or how far either company will actually deliver something? You are are a buffoon. An utter buffoon who knows nothing. You are the most ignorant person I have ever seen on the internet. Holy shit. I bet you think you're smart too.

Oct 25, 2017
There's tons of people that still get paper bills via mail. How is that supposed to work when you can't get your bill, or more importantly can't mail your payment in?
Bills, paychecks, tax refunds. Numerous things including letter(millions and millons letters Everyday) This will be a huge blow to the US even before you consider the massive amount of people that will become unemployed.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling over multiple posts in this thread
You are reveling in ignorance. Have you ever mailed a package? Do you know how to send things outside of a city? Do you know how much more expensive it is to ship with FedEx or UPS or how far either company will actually deliver something? You are are a buffoon. An utter buffoon who knows nothing. You are the most ignorant person I have ever seen on the internet. Holy shit. I bet you think you're smart too.

Now's your chance to educate me. Don't act like I just advocated we march the poor into an oven or something. Most ignorant person you've ever seen on the internet LOL. Give me a break.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now's your chance to educate me. Don't act like I just advocated we march the poor into an oven or something. Most ignorant person you've ever seen on the internet LOL. Give me a break.
You may has well advocated that. Do you think ever person in the United States has access to digital information? They absolutely don't, especially the poor. Everyone gets mail. It's a service for everyone and they don't have to deal with private corporations to have a monopoly on sending information. It's an important service of sending information, checks, bills, packages, etc. FedEx and UPS do not match USPS by any measure.

If you honest think the USPS should be shuttered, you are dumb as a box of rocks, buddy. Like the kind of dumb where I don't know how you sleep at night because you wouldn't think of shutting your eyes to sleep.

Oct 27, 2017
The mail is honestly such a cool feature of modern society. And, outside of these times, they turn a profit. Letting it fail would be a grossly terrible idea.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the irony is rred states/red areas will be hurt most by this. blue areas/blue states will be fine.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who's ever sold on eBay or shipped things to friends or family knows how much worse UPS and FedEx are. I hope something happens on some level to keep them up. :/