• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often do you get paid?

• Daily

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 48 6.9%
  • Bi-weekly

Votes: 385 55.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 228 33.0%
  • other

Votes: 28 4.1%

• Total voters
Dec 19, 2021
TIL most of you get paid bi-weekly and there's no consensus on how often people get paid, what the actual hell. That seems like a nightmare to budget and yeah it does make sense you just agreed to discuss it yearly.

Hourly wages make sense for people who work shifts or freelancers like programmers or lawyers who literally get paid by the hour.

Yea, much like "Europe" isn't a country there is no nation wide requirements in the US for payroll frequency it is a collection of 50 different rules and regulations at the statelevel. You can have one company operating in multiple states that use different processes depending on where the employee lives.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Do you work for any sort of government institution (whether federal, state, local, etc.)? My wife works in Corrections and she gets paid monthly. Friend works for the DA and she's paid monthly. Another friend is a sheriff, and he's paid monthly.
One was a research institute (which probably explains it), and then the rest were in biotech (startup & larger companies). I had no idea that was the exception. Definitely didn't expect people in tech to be paid bi-weekly, for some reason.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to check, but I feel like you get annual numbers if it's a salaried position. If you get paid by the hour, then you get hourly numbers and have to calculate the annual yourself.

I'm also pretty sure biweekly payment is far more common than monthly at the jobs that I've looked and worked at.

Yeah id say thats very common here in the uk.
It's hard to really give hourly paid employess an actual figure for yearly salary becuase the figure will be based on them working like a full 40 hour week for all 52 weeks of the year (which they may never achieve) and it dosent take into account overtime/double time or anything of that nature.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
they should make things more random.

- get paid every two weeks, but pay rent every three. Your Netflix sub renews every 24 days and your electric is annual in advance

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why you would do this when you could pay people fortnightly or weekly.
Reducing the interval of payments reduces the payroll overhead for the employer (it can put less pressure on payroll teams); calculating and validating payrolls for a week and a month generally take an equal amount of time, but there's more overhead doing it weekly than monthly even if payroll management software can definitely help bridge the efficiency gap.

While other factors may play a part (e.g. employee preference, industry, company size, etc.), the business overhead is a key factor in why companies may choose to do it monthly.

EDIT: And obviously depending on what's standard, societal aspects may 'appropriately' shift to match that (e.g. monthly rent/bill payments in places where monthly salary pay is standard, versus biweekly payments where biweekly salary pay is standard) which may discourage shifting from what's established.

EDIT 2: And also worth noting, but depending on what's 'normalised' in a country there might be regulatory tax reporting requirements (e.g. biweekly or monthly reporting of all payroll transactions which occurred/will occur within that pay period). Aligning with reporting requirements can make it 'easier' for accounting teams.

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Australia here, yearly salaries are standard when discussing remuneration. I would say for the most part fortnightly pay is standard here (including our national social security payments), but there are outliers like my partner who works in childcare and gets paid weekly. We also pay our rents weekly, which where I live averages about $630 p/w. I'd never considered that non-weekly rent wasn't universally common, today I learnt.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I do a lot of work in Payroll IT, and the US has all the flavors. Legally I don't think you can go longer than a month without paying(?), but outside of that its whatever you wanna do.

52 Pay periods: Weekly
26 Pay periods: Ever other Week
24 Pay periods: first/last of the month, mid month
12 Pay periods: Monthly

A previous poster already mentioned this, but teachers can get even sillier with 10 or 20 pay periods.

Edit: Basically, easier to communicate yearly compensation

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Your annual salary is easier to communicate than telling somebody how much you make per cycle and what that cycle is.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
A big difference in the US, and something that still bothers me is that you often get paid every two weeks as opposed to every month.
So I get 26 paychecks not 12, which makes montly budgeting more convoluted, because things like rent, subscriptions etc. are all monthly...
Those 2 extra checks are nice though if you plan it well

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
30+ years working across many industries and settings (landscaping, food service, factory, lab, office) and I've never had a job that didn't pay bi-weekly

Also what I'd say I'm used to hearing when you ask someone how much do you make depends on if they are hourly or salaried. An hourly person will respond with something like 'I make x dollars/hour" and a salary person will respond with their yearly salary

Last edited:

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Being paid monthly seems like a nightmare to me. My wife gets paid bi-weekly. I get paid on the 15th and last day of every month.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Getting paid monthly sucks. That's a full 30 days that they've had your labor before you get paid for it. That money could have been earning you more money in the meantime. Instead, the company is earning interest for those 30 days on your salary/labor.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
A big difference in the US, and something that still bothers me is that you often get paid every two weeks as opposed to every month.
So I get 26 paychecks not 12, which makes montly budgeting more convoluted, because things like rent, subscriptions etc. are all monthly...
Agreed, though those 2 months a year (like April) with 3 payments/paychecks sure are nice ha.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Getting paid monthly sucks. That's a full 30 days that they've had your labor before you get paid for it. That money could have been earning you more money in the meantime. Instead, the company is earning interest for those 30 days on your salary.
They don't do it to earn interest, it's just cheaper to run payroll only 12 times a year.
Agreed, though those 2 months a year (like April) with 3 payments/paychecks sure are nice ha.
Yup! I treat those as "bonus" months. Budget for 2 checks every month, get a nice little bump twice a year.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
As a payroll worker, monthly and in your case, Semi-monthly make our jobs easier.

seems to be pretty common with federal contractors. I'm with my 4 contractor since 2012 and all pay semi monthly. It's on specific days but always the same. My current gig is the 10th and 25th of each month. Of course if those days fall on a weekend I get it the Friday before. It's definitely easier to budget monthly that way. My wife's biweekly always throws me off

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm paid once every two weeks, bi-weekly (although I always forget if it's bi-weekly or semi-weekly...), but for the most part annual salary is the thing that is more reliable for me go to go on, because bi-weekly pay can change in small ways over a calendar year, and at least in my company we also get bonuses occassionally so there are periods where I get paid more often than bi-weekly.

26 pay periods a year + 4 annual bonuses (once/quarter), so I'm technically paid about 30x/year by my primary employer. I do a small amount of freelance these days, very little, so that's another small check occassionally... I used to do a lot more freelance.

So I think annual, for me and most people I know, is the best comparison. Also for lines of work that pay overtime, or seasonal pay, or bonuses, etc, annual usually makes the most sense as a point of comparison. Like if you work in sales you might get a regular weekly/biweekly/monthly check, but you're primarily compensated by commission on a sale. If you work in service like the food services industry, if you work Thurs->Sun you'll usually make more than if you worm Mon->Wed, and depending on how shifts are split out, and the seasonality of the industry, evening it out over the whole year can make sense. Then there's some industries like retail where November and December are by far the biggest sales months, and compensation can be dependent on those longer hours, so your February pay might be a fraction of what your December pay is.

Getting paid monthly sucks. That's a full 30 days that they've had your labor before you get paid for it. That money could have been earning you more money in the meantime. Instead, the company is earning interest for those 30 days on your salary/labor.

In higher ed I used to get paid monthly, and honestly I didn't mind it because all of my bills are monthly bills, from rent to phone to heat to basically everything, and so it was easy to do a budget when I was younger.

I switched companies to semi-monthly or whatever it is, basically paid twice a month, 24 pay periods, which I liked for the same reasons and because pay always came on the same days every month... the 12th and the 26th or something like that. Then we switched to bi-weekly, 26 pay periods, and that was fine, but I like it less than semi-monthly because it's nominally harder to budget if you're living paycheck to paycheck, because two months a year you get 3 paychecks, and your pay days are always shifting by 2-3 days a month.

At my monthly company they also paid out for the forthcoming month, like when I started I started on the 7th or something, and we got paid on the 15th, and so I got paid for ~5 weeks of work with that first paycheck, 1 week from the previous month, and then forward for the next month. Of course when I left ~6 years later it all evened out.

Higher ed did monthly playments because they live in the stone age of technology, had like 1 or 2 people who managed payroll for the whole campus, and it was just simpler.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Why do US companies pay people fortnightly? Seems like double the work for the finance department. Is it due to the way taxes are paid or calculated or something?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I do a lot of work in Payroll IT, and the US has all the flavors. Legally I don't think you can go longer than a month without paying(?), but outside of that its whatever you wanna do.

Its possible to be paid every quarter or yearly but very rare, basically reserved for like CEOs or very high paying positions.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to get paid twice a month (on the 15th and 30th) but last year my company changed to where were we got paid bi-weekly.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Oh some people might find this interesting.

I used to work with someone who had a former career working on oil rigs - they worked six months on, six months off.
They got paid a huge amount for the six months at the end of their on period.

It was apparently not uncommon for someone to get off the rig, buy a truck for $60K in cash, and be broke for another six months.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I get paid bi-monthly, 15th and last day of the month (or closest business day to both). I actually don't know anyone who only gets paid once month - bi-weekly seems to be the norm.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Why do US companies pay people fortnightly? Seems like double the work for the finance department. Is it due to the way taxes are paid or calculated or something?
Cheaper for the company than doing weekly, but not long enough for the monthly or semi-monthly where employees start to complain.
Its possible to be paid every quarter or yearly but very rare, basically reserved for like CEOs or very high paying positions.
Now that I looked it up, looks like a few states can do whatever they want, so that would be possible.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Every hourly/weekly/monthly salary can roll up to annual. Not all annual salaries can roll down to the month/week/hour.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
As a teacher, I only get paid during the school year, so mine's 21 checks and then make sure you save for summer/get another job for 10 weeks. So VERY convoluted! 20+ years in, no worries, but the first few years I lost a lot of weight in August because I was out of money. : )

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As a payroll worker, monthly and in your case, Semi-monthly make our jobs easier.
Trust me, I am well aware. I used to run an payroll for a small-ish construction company with employees who were paid hourly, and had to do that on a weekly basis. That was not a lot of fun. Especially with the union guys who had all kinds of other forms and deductions to worry about.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is also reminding me that Americas don't really use the word fortnight, instead retaining "bi-weekly" which is inherently ambigious.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Reducing the interval of payments reduces the payroll overhead for the employer (it can put less pressure on payroll teams); calculating and validating payrolls for a week and a month generally take an equal amount of time, but there's more overhead doing it weekly than monthly even if payroll management software can definitely help bridge the efficiency gap.

While other factors may play a part (e.g. employee preference, industry, company size, etc.), the business overhead is a key factor in why companies may choose to do it monthly.

I was about to say. My payroll department has to juggle both monthly and biweekly payrolls, so the payroll department basically never gets a break.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
US

I used to be paid weekly at my last job. I actually really enjoyed it since it was a reliable, every Thursday thing. Now I get paid every two weeks, and sometimes I have to remember "did I get paid last week or is it this week?".

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I've only seen monthly from the countries I've worked really (Indonesia, Singapore).

There's 13th month bonus and stuff also.

Never really saw bi-weekly here.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Monthly is so much easier. All the pay comes in, all the direct debits go out; boom you automatically have however much left to spend for the month.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I work at a university that has people paid weekly, people paid biweekly, people paid monthly, and people paid biweekly for 9 months a year. It works out to being something like the lowest paid people get paid weekly, the middle grade people (like me) get paid monthly, and everyone else is biweekly, with most faculty being 9 month biweekly. It's the only time in my life I have been monthly, and it can lead to times where you feel the bank account is lower than you would like it to be, and then it's just way bigger than you expect it to be

AwDayGuh

May 5, 2021
Wow, I'm shocked I'm the only "Daily" vote. I do Uber Eats for a living, and while they do pay out weekly, they have an option to pay you out any time you want for a fifty cent charge, which I usually take advantage of.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Wow, I'm shocked I'm the only "Daily" vote. I do Uber Eats for a living, and while they do pay out weekly, they have an option to pay you out any time you want for a fifty cent charge, which I usually take advantage of.
If you haven't yet, you might want to consider getting a credit card with good rewards and stop paying a fee for that. Take the regular pay, earn points and rewards, pay off at the end of the week. Easy money.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I used to get paid monthly, now it's twice a month. Both work fine for me.

I briefly worked a job where I was paid bi-weekly and it was awful because it was just out of sync enough with monthly bills that I could never keep it straight in my head whether or not I was in the red.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up poor/working class and did not even consider what a yearly salary was until I graduated from University, all I knew was hourly rates.

Now I get paid monthly, my mum always asks me what I get per hour and I consider it a luxury that I don't have to think about my pay that way any more.