• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

-------
Original Post
Because people can apparently request their thread be closed even after it has clearly morphed into the official thread for discussion. Seems weird, but ok.

The latest:

Washington (CNN) Negotiations over the next stimulus package intended to bolster the economy and help struggling Americans pay their bills have stalled on Capitol Hill with Democrats and Trump administration officials walking away after talks broke down on Friday and devolved into partisan finger-pointing.

No additional discussions are planned after nearly two weeks of daily meetings, and lead White House negotiators Mark Meadows and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin say they are recommending President Donald Trump move ahead with a series of executive orders aimed at extending the federal moratorium on evictions, continuing federal unemployment benefits and suspending the payroll tax.

No deal today it seems after Dems offered to cut ~a third of their offer.

Edit:

Also, likely discussion of this at 7 PM WH press conference

Last edited:

talkshowhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously...wtf is wrong with this place sometimes...

One of literally the most important topics in the US right now. Nope...close the thread

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this country is failing at every aspect of this pandemic. I'm trying to hold onto hope.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

One of literally the most important topics in the US right now. Nope...close the thread

Yup I was completely confused when I saw it was locked.

Extremely bummed about the news though. Really could use the Stimulus check for bills but not surprised our dysfunctional government couldn't get it passed.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Because people can apparently request their thread be closed even after it has clearly morphed into the official thread for discussion. Seems weird, but ok.

The latest:

No deal today it seems after Dems offered to cut ~a third of their offer.

Edit:

Also, likely discussion of this at 7 PM WH press conference

Can you clarify this, because the article makes it seem like the Dems didn't back down any from their initial wants. Am I misreading this or is this just not the full story?

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgraceful. No member of congress should be able to go home until a bill is passed

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Again, Republicans are holding that 1200 bucks that people desperately need right now hostage and it's disgusting.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you clarify this, because the article makes it seem like the Dems didn't back down any from their initial wants. Am I misreading this or is this just not the full story?

My sentence is just unrelated to the article, is all :P Basically the gist though is that Democrats offered to cut a trillion off but GOP said no. Look for a Chuck tweet about meeting in the middle

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Regarding the current executive order plan, assuming this tweet is correct, at current rates of unemployment, this would last about...3 or 4 weeks at current rates of $18 Billion a week for just unemployment. Nothing else, no testing $, no money for schools, no money for cities and states, etc.
What a fucking joke.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
My sentence is just unrelated to the article, is all :P Basically the gist though is that Democrats offered to cut a trillion off but GOP said no. Look for a Chuck tweet about meeting in the middle

Oh, I see. So what is the $2 trillion number? Is that the number after the cutting down or before?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the current executive order plan, assuming this tweet is correct, at current rates of unemployment, this would last about...3 or 4 weeks at current rates of $18 Billion a week for just unemployment. Nothing else, no testing $, no money for schools, no money for cities and states, etc.
What a fucking joke.

JrMVZHd.jpg

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

The topic was about the deal being made this week. It didn't happen, so someone suggested I close it and start a new one when new info emerges. I do agree with there being an OT for the stimulus, rather than a bunch of smaller ones every time something happens.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Insert one of dozens of old Trump tweets about Obama golfing too much

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The topic was about the deal being made this week. It didn't happen, so someone suggested I close it and start a new one when new info emerges. I do agree with there being an OT for the stimulus, rather than a bunch of smaller ones every time something happens.

I think people just need to vent right now. This is a good place to do it in a sort of contained kind of way.

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
I need to run for Congress. Apparently you hardly ever have to work and when you do you don't have to get shit done anyways. Sounds like a gravy job.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the senate is gonna delay their break from session, right?

they cant fucking leave this hanging for like 5 weeks

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
If the republicans won't even save the economy during an election year the next few years are going to be hell if democrats don't win the senate and abolish the fillibuster.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Some think he's going to write an EO to get rid of the payroll tax, which even his own party don't want.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the republicans won't even save the economy during an election year the next few years are going to be hell if democrats don't win the senate and abolish the fillibuster.
We're so fucked

If Biden wins, two years won't be enough to repair the damage, Dems will be blamed for it, and Republicans make huge gains in 2022

If Trump wins, we might as well call it a wrap on the ol' US of A. Any attempt at battling COVID will instantly end and most of his second term will be used to punish everyone who opposed him. The country probably won't survive another Trump term without unprecedented civil unrest and suffering.

Just in time for a Democrat to take the White House.

Funny how that works out.
Yup. It's exhausting

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How is he on vacation? Isn't there supposed to be a press conference like right now at the WH? Is he not involved or is it cancelled?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Its either they know they're going to lose so they said fuck it or they they're going to rig the elections anyway, so fuck it.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I got excited when I saw the thread title cause I assumed something got done and an agreement was reached.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for you folks that rely on the unemployment checks to keep a roof over your head and food in your mouths.

All of you, and you know who are, that voted Republican. This is what your party thinks of you. All they want is your votes and your loyalty. They'll bleed the rest out of you when they need more money in the military budget and more tax breaks for the wealthy.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I knew shit wouldn't get done, I just had this feeling that we'd be sitting here waiting.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
USA Stimulus Bill 2 was fine but just didn't live up to the hype set by the original IMO, and the plot seemed like a little bit of a retread.

7.5/10

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand wanting to deny aid for all local, state and county's. Why do they want teachers and firefighters out of work? Pretty much every state (I think its 49?) have to have a balanced budget, so they are in for some deep cuts if they don't get bailed out. It's driving me insane that the position of most republicans (I think Senator Cassidy from LA was advocating for it) is to just tell states to go Broke. I mean, that's fucking over a lot of red states too! How is this not something both parties want to fix?

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is a thing that completely gets lost in all the sauce. All this fuck shit is happening in a year and at a time where they need people to like them to boost re-election chances and they're still erring dangerously close to "absolutely no fucks given"

if this wasn't an election year America would probably already be wiped off the map