• Phonebank/Textbank

• Canvass/Knock on Doors

• Fundraise/Organize

• Run for elected office

Results are only viewable after voting.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you think that is? Just curious.

I think this user is referring to the possibility that Donald Trump has reached his ceiling in support, and pollsters are using weighting that overcorrects for past voting. The truth is that nobody knows if it's going to be razor-thin or a total blowout for either one.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There's nothing wrong with this answer per se, but man…it really just feels like the bite has been taken out of this campaign at times doesn't it? Am I crazy for thinking that sometimes?

It's been that way since the DNC and has only been getting worse.

The enthusiasm that existed prior has largely faded away and been replaced with party in-fighting over some of the campaign's decisions.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018

It's amazing they always seem reluctant to come right out and make this a talking point. Not just the thing about Trump taking credit for the economic recovery, but cleaning up from the mess from the Bush administration. I mean it should be obvious to anyone paying attention that the economy always tanks when Republicans are in office.

Actually Bill Clinton recently came out and furnished some statistic that job growth under Democratic admins was something like 50 million in the last few decades, versus 1 million under the GOP. Like why aren't they saying this all the time.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Again, this is based on pure vibes. There's no data for this whatsoever.

So the amount of young people who have voted at this point is down 25% compared to this time in 2020. Why is that great again? How is that showing "massive enthusiasm?"
There's actually been plenty of good analysis and data on why no, it's not just pure vibes. You're a thread regular, you should know that.

Knightbat05

Nov 7, 2022
Some of y'all get too caught up in these polls, the way some of y'all have such a mood swing based on what the polls say is crazy...

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Jesus fucking Christ.

It can't be any other fucking reason, huh?

This is a ridiculously aggressive response to a a calmly worded statement that's based in logic and historical precedence. That doesn't meant there can't be other reasons -- because they exist -- but you can't simply handwave the very real problem of misogyny that female politicians face.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Polls always tighten, but she's not slipping in almost every poll. Her polling has been incredibly stable once you toss out the trash polls.

Well I think it's more correct to say that the polls have always been tight, but they haven't always shown Michigan within a point. The fact is that there is a small trend in the last week which, if it were true in let's say Georgia and for us, we'd be ecstatic about it. We have to be fair about these things.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So good that Obama gave an amazing and fiery speech tonight and, in a stark and symbolic contrast, Trump literally shat his pants.

Okay, you're not even trying to argue anything here. You're just getting angry at the most mildly negative takes on the state of the campaign and acting as if Lance and I are claiming she's screwed.
Ohh please I'm not angry just calling stuff for what it is.

If there any actual basis or substance to an argument I've yet to find it all I see is people who no offense to Lance but they over react to any poll and you can see the race has been pretty stable.

So again where is this infighting you brought up?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is complete nonsense. You're in a bubble.

No, I'm not.

I still think she's going to win, to be very clear. But you're not being honest with yourself if you don't think she's lost some enthusiasm since the DNC. As has been discussed a number of times in this thread, she has made decisions that have pushed away progressives who were otherwise quite excited about her campaign beforehand.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh please I'm not angry just calling stuff for what it is.

If there any actual basis or substance to an argument I've yet to find it all I see is people who no offense to Lance but they over react to any poll and you can see the race has been pretty stable.

So again where is this infighting you brought up?

I mean. I react to polls but only sometimes over react. Im pretty sure some A and B Polls have been bad for Harris this week.

Yes many are R leaning or pollsters but its giving a narrative that shes losing momentum.

Axelrod and others are saying similar things.

I do understand it comes down to ground game but it is a tiny bit concerning

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
He was the last pre-9/11 president, and those of us who lived through the 90s remember that life in the US was much...calmer, more stable. Hope and a sense of optimism about the future still existed. The economy was pretty good, and politics still had at the very least a sense of decency to it. War was something that existed in the past -- America had learned its lesson about that in Vietnam.

Or maybe I was just young and naive, but that's what it felt like at the time.

It was a short break between the Cold War and The War on Terror. The internet was still fun and you could rent a physical copy of movie and get a pizza on Friday nights. No social media bringing faraway problems into your living room. Blockbuster movies that weren't from comics.

It's probably some combination of youthful rose colored glasses, but being an adult before and after 9/11 was a pretty jarring change.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If Michigan folks can hear the awful shit Trump is saying, and conclude "Yeah, give me some of THAT." there's nothing Kamala can do about it. She should however ya know, go there again, and again like she did in Flint.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
There's actually been plenty of good analysis and data on why no, it's not just pure vibes. You're a thread regular, you should know that.
I've seen plenty of people directly ask you why you feel this way without a response.

I also don't recall seeing any "good analysis and data" showing this. I've seen people in here cite things like rallies, "enthusiasm," yard signs, etc.--none of which amount to much because the method of measuring those is all over the place. I've seen people in here show certain voter registration, but again that doesn't tell us much because we don't know everything we need to know from it (who are they voting for, what is the data across all swing states, demographics, etc.). For instance, I keep seeing people posting stuff about how youth and minority voter registration is up and that's a good thing, but polling continually shows that Trump is showing increased gains with young black male voters, so are those registration numbers actually benefiting Harris?

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
No, I'm not.

I still think she's going to win, to be very clear. But you're not being honest with yourself if you don't think she's lost some enthusiasm since the DNC. As has been discussed a number of times in this thread, she has made decisions that have pushed away progressives who were otherwise quite excited about her campaign beforehand.
Genuine question, but has there been any actual data about this? I get the idea that online leftists were more optimistic for Harris pre-DNC and then felt disappointed afterward, but 1) I'm not sure there's actual data that support has eroded, and 2) I'm not sure leftists being disappointed counts as "in-fighting".

Yes many are R leaning or pollsters but its giving a narrative that shes losing momentum.

Axelrod and others are saying similar things.

I do understand it comes down to ground game but it is a tiny bit concerning
Why do you care about stupid narratives?

You really shouldn't be listening to Axelrod one of the worst people on the Obama aparatus to reach into the medium.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
It's really not necessary to doom over Harris losing momentum (which she probably has, you can't keep up that level of excitement indefinitely), while Trump's momentum has been basically zero since forever.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been that way since the DNC and has only been getting worse.

The enthusiasm that existed prior has largely faded away and been replaced with party in-fighting over some of the campaign's decisions.
What, don't be silly. The Enthusiasm is going strong. The only infighting is here on Era. lol

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Harris's averages have been trending downward for a few weeks now. 538 has her at +2.4 now, which is her lowest since early September. Still margin of error stuff and an advantage, but it's there. You can't just discount it because of "trash polls" because they've always been part of the average.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Genuine question, but has there been any actual data about this? I get the idea that online leftists were more optimistic for Harris pre-DNC and then felt disappointed afterward, but 1) I'm not sure there's actual data that support has eroded, and 2) I'm not sure leftists being disappointed counts as "in-fighting".

I don't really think it's something you can quantify into data outside of standard polling. But it's pretty clear to me that there is a lot more debate about her candidacy amongst those on the left now than there was two months ago. This is caused by topics like her stance (or lack thereof) on Palestine, the campaign's shift away from the "weird" narrative, LGBTQ+ issues seemingly falling by the wayside at the DNC, and trying to court people on the right while frustrating progressives.

Part of it is also the natural flow of an election, especially with a campaign like this, as those first couple months were kind of a special moment with a lot of positivity. But a while back, I realized that I spent the entire 2016 election cycle in a bubble, only listening to things I wanted to hear and dismissing any criticism or negativity. I've tried my best to not do that this time around.

Harris's averages have been trending downward for a few weeks now. 538 has her at +2.4 now, which is her lowest since early September. Still margin of error stuff and an advantage, but it's there. You can't just discount it because of "trash polls" because they've always been part of the average.
Its always been in margin of error.

Early September was the high point of after DNC and been pretty stable.

View: https://x.com/perrybaconjr/status/1844420341034254465

Last edited: