• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Whatever the admin said elsewhere it's not worth bringing up as that's a slippery slope. That's on the staff to figure out, not us, so I suggest we drop that. As for the rest of the fiasco, we should have gotten this settled yesterday were it not for the lack of any response demanding more consistent moderation regarding anti-Semitic and anti-Israel rhetoric.
I think the only slippery slope has already occurred - that is this spilling over to how anti-semitism is handled different than other offenses. They're inherently connected issues. Especially given some comments on this site directly.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Whatever the admin said elsewhere it's not worth bringing up as that's a slippery slope.

Normally, I'd agree 100% with you that whatever forum staff says on their own twitter accounts is none of our business, but I can't help but feel a little bit more conflicted about the notion of the viewpoints GoldenEye mentioned possibly influencing forum moderation policy, since the person who held them is involved in setting and enforcing said policy.

(disclaimer: no, that's not a silent approval of doxxing)

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Whatever the admin said elsewhere it's not worth bringing up as that's a slippery slope. That's on the staff to figure out, not us, so I suggest we drop that. As for the rest of the fiasco, we should have gotten this settled yesterday were it not for the lack of any response demanding more consistent moderation regarding anti-Semitic and anti-Israel rhetoric.
What admins say and do when it overlaps their actions here do matter though! And that's literally how Era came to be.

To be clear I'm not supporting doxxing. But I do think admins/mods holding viewpoints of certain countries not existing matters - no matter how it comes to light.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017

This ENTIRE FORUM was derived from the exodus of those escaping the owner, whom turned out to be a terrible human being, of said previous forum.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
This ENTIRE FORUM was derived from the exodus of those escaping the owner, whom turned out to be a terrible human being, of said previous forum.
The issue is this isn't publicly available information. You can't just easily Google it. You would have to go through suspicious websites that finds that information through illegal means to get it. That's why it's not worth digging for something that requires illegal activity that harms users on this very forum.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
The issue is this isn't publicly available information. You can't just easily Google it. You would have to go through suspicious websites that finds that information through illegal means to get it. That's why it's not worth digging for something that requires illegal activity that harms users on this very forum.

Correct, however, you don't need doxxing... just read the admin posts here from the very source.

Nov 27, 2020
Israel was originally founded to be the Jewish state, however. That isn't really controversial. That's why anti-Israel rhetoric often overlaps with anti-Semitism.
Unfortunately, the way that post reads:

"Nothing you've said gives either the current state of Israel, or the collective nation of Jewish people, the right to be commiting genocide."

It's not saying simply the state of Israel is committing genocide, but the "collective nation of Jewish people" is best case saying that the entire Jewish population of Israel is responsible. Worst case is they are saying all Jews, everywhere. Either way you cut it, it's an incredibly sweeping generalization, lacking in nuance, and is clearly anti-Semitic.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Unfortunately, the way that post reads:

"Nothing you've said gives either the current state of Israel, or the collective nation of Jewish people, the right to be commiting genocide."

Is not saying simply the state of Israel is committing genocide, but the "collective nation of Jewish people" is best case saying that the entire Jewish population of Israel is responsible. Worst case is they are saying all Jews, everywhere. Either way you cut it, it's an incredibly sweeping generalization, lacking in nuance, and is clearly anti-Semitic.
I agree it was poorly phrased and the admin should have elaborated themselves. Unfortunately that never happened.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Being a Jewish state and "the collective nation of Jewish people" are two very very different things
The emphasis on the people makes it problematic for sure which is why the admin should have elaborated themselves instead of saying something that upset lots of users and leaving. If the admin just said Israel and not bring in the "collective nation of Jewish people" part, we likely wouldn't even be talking about that post.

Oct 29, 2017
I agree it was poorly phrased and the admin should have elaborated themselves. Unfortunately that never happened.

The admin did attempt to elaborate several posts down when people called them out about it, but that elaboration amounted to "obviously reading comprehension shows I DIDN'T say that".

Which might as well be gaslighting when their post in question literally said "the collective nation of Jewish people". Seems pretty clear what they said, even with reading comprehension. Especially with reading comprehension.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Attempting to doxx members of staff has always been a permable offense.

You swore up and down that a certain staff member wasn't an antisemite. Those tweets - which you have now seemingly confirmed as theirs - prove otherwise. Saying 7 million Israelis who have lived there for generations need to leave is nakedly antisemitic - ESPECIALLY when that conversation started on October 7th.

You may have been able to handwave the "collective nation of Jewish people" comments before, but now? No, no, absolutely not.

If you didn't know about it, this is another Black Chamber situation all over again. The staff were tricked, the truth was found out through publicly available tweets, and no personal information was exposed other than their odious opinions. I won't get into what it means if you did know about it.

Either way, that person has no business being an admin.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why are we taking the claim CreepingFear got those images from that person's Twitter from Kiwi Farms at face value?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I haven't even seen the offending tweets and apparently the only way to find those tweets ends up going on KF, so I'd rather not dip my toes in there.
Fucking what

Were they out of their minds?! Kiwifarms is a bleeding cesspool!
Not really true. Nothing from there was ever posted here. What was shared here were direct twitter posts, publicly accessible.

As far was what was stated, again, it was that all Israeli Jews either need to leave Israel or give up control. This was on October 7, prior to the current war.

TopDreg

Oct 26, 2017
Not really true. Nothing from there was ever posted here. What was shared here were direct twitter posts, publicly accessible.

As far was what was stated, again, it was that all Israeli Jews either need to leave Israel or give up control. This was on October 7, prior to the current war.

Just to emphasize, it was said on October 7. You know, on the same day that over 1100 Israelis were murdered, many raped, and hundreds kidnapped (many of whom are still hostages). A certain staff member said this stuff.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So they're just gonna ban regulars now without stated reasons.... they really need to explain themselves
This is how these community blow-ups always have ended up going (or at least the several I've seen). Someone gets banned for arguably dubious reasons, other users call out the mod team over it, one of the mods that posts in the community regularly will attempt to address it, users continue to poke holes in their reasonings, and then permas start getting handed out until the thread eventually moves on at some point. A contingent of regulars that weren't perma'd choose to no longer participate here, and the community becomes more of a shell of what it once was. PoliEra already moves far, far slower than it did before the prior two blow-ups, so I'm not looking forward to what it will look like after this.

Why are we taking the claim CreepingFear got those images from that person's Twitter from Kiwi Farms at face value?
Considering someone else had posted the actual Twitter account and post in question here while this conversation was going last night you probably shouldn't. It was easily visible to anyone here for a brief period.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
What was shared here were direct twitter posts, publicly accessible.
The twitter account, if I recall correctly, was privated, so it is NOT publicly accessible, so the only way to access that info is through going through websites that are more anti-Semitic than anything said here. Again, as I said before, this shit is a slippery slope that's purely driven by anger and hatred toward one of the staff members.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The twitter account, if I recall correctly, was privated, so it is NOT publicly accessible, so the only way to access that info is through going through websites that are more anti-Semitic than anything said here. Again, as I said before, this shit is a slippery slope that's purely driven by anger and hatred toward one of the staff members.
It was privated after it got posted

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You recall incorrectly. It was public. But switched after the posts were already made.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I believe it was privated *after* it was posted here last night. Not before.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was not private when I saw the post.

TopDreg

Oct 26, 2017
No, it is relevant. It goes to show that those two users went out of their way to get into a Nazi cesspool to prove the staff member they hate said something shitty on social media.

But that user never went on Kiwifarms. I have no idea where this Kiwifarms accusation is coming from. The Twitter profile was public long enough! What the hell would be the point of going on Kiwifarms?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No, it is relevant. It goes to show that those two users went out of their way to get into a Nazi cesspool to prove the staff member they hate said something shitty on social media.
No it doesn't lmao. Your whole original argument was that it was a private account that required going to random websites to find. When presented with the fact it was not private when the posts were made, you keep the same claim. Creeping wasn't the one who originally posted the account anyway.

So why even talk about the account being private or not?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If it was indeed true that they both actually did this, then absolute shame on them for going that route.

TopDreg

Oct 26, 2017
If it was indeed true that they both actually did this, then absolute shame on them for going that route.

They didn't. The Twitter profile was public. I don't know how Treble found the profile, but it was public when they shared it. This Kiwifarms accusation makes zero sense, since there would be no need to use Kiwifarms.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So save us the nonsense. If there's legit complaints we'll listen, we always do, but I'm not hearing shit from people willing to go to kiwifarms to dig shit up or defend people who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.